C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any supercharging regrets or horror stories?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2016, 10:47 AM
cheapthrills
Melting Slicks

Received 441 Likes on 292 Posts
Default Any supercharging regrets or horror stories?

I'm on the fence about adding a SC, I'd go with the Procharger over the competition because a Corvette shop very close to me is a certified procharger dealer/installer and this is not a job for me. After reading this post
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-and-roll.html

It really gave me the itch.

Known downside is loss of warranty.
Known upside is increase in fun factor.

I have gone back and forth on the Z06 or Callaway but the loss of value on my car plus the tax loss on the present car and new tax's on the Z make me want to wait on that. The Callaway install is just to far away and to much cost in shipping the car back and forth.

It seems to me that resale of a supercharged car my be more difficult and actually decrease the value of the car, just my perception but coming from a community of modded turbo cars, the really modded ones do not seem to sell. People put them back to stock and sell the parts for a fraction of what they paid.

So anyone have regrets after, having to be married to a local shop for issues, engines going pop, things like that.

Thoughts and stories welcome.
Old 01-14-2016, 11:48 AM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 3,862 Likes on 1,912 Posts

I am in the same camp with you. Have been close on a Z06 purchase. I really don't need or even want all the cornering upgrades or the cheesy plastic crap like "wheel spats". The Procharger looks like a pretty easy install. I don't know what the kit goes for however. Centrifugals are a pretty simple removal when its time to liquidate the car and sell the blower system.
Old 01-14-2016, 11:56 AM
JameyTurner
Too Much Fun
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 180 Likes on 79 Posts

Edelbrock Supercharger comes with a "3 year/ 36,000 mile" factory warranty replacement coverage for engine, transmission, and rear-end for free. So, you don't fully lose all of your factory warranty.

Originally Posted by cheapthrills
I'm on the fence about adding a SC, I'd go with the Procharger over the competition because a Corvette shop very close to me is a certified procharger dealer/installer and this is not a job for me. After reading this post
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-and-roll.html

It really gave me the itch.

Known downside is loss of warranty.
Known upside is increase in fun factor.

I have gone back and forth on the Z06 or Callaway but the loss of value on my car plus the tax loss on the present car and new tax's on the Z make me want to wait on that. The Callaway install is just to far away and to much cost in shipping the car back and forth.

It seems to me that resale of a supercharged car my be more difficult and actually decrease the value of the car, just my perception but coming from a community of modded turbo cars, the really modded ones do not seem to sell. People put them back to stock and sell the parts for a fraction of what they paid.

So anyone have regrets after, having to be married to a local shop for issues, engines going pop, things like that.

Thoughts and stories welcome.
Old 01-14-2016, 12:15 PM
MikeLsx
Drifting

Received 200 Likes on 151 Posts

I found that when i do heavy mods on the engine two things happen.

-The car becomes cooler
-my stress about the car increases

I also tend to put less miles on the car, and take better overall care of it. when my car is mostly stock, and still have warranty. I drive it harder and more carefree. Thats why a lot of times getting a Z06 is better for people who worry about stuff more.

Even putting money aside. Its a luxury to be able to turn into any chevy dealer if you have problems on the road or near home. They will cover you where ever you are. They will even get a flatbed if need be.

What are you going to do if you modded car starts having problems? take it to a dealership with all that custom work.

I had a heavily modded LS3 camaro that when i first bought was a daily driver, once the mods came it become a weekend car.
The following 2 users liked this post by MikeLsx:
JerriVette (12-27-2017), typeav (09-15-2016)
Old 01-14-2016, 12:21 PM
PegasusCapital
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 119 Likes on 95 Posts

Go with Callaway, you won't regret it. You get a complete, state-of-the-art S/C package, not just some bolt-on kit, and you maintain your full GM warranty.

Plus there's a "cool" factor of owning a Callaway Corvette - - the way it looks and the way it performs - - and the name and reputation of the company behind it.
The following users liked this post:
FLATJ (12-29-2017)
Old 01-14-2016, 12:32 PM
johnny c
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 13 Posts

i've owned roots style blowers in the past and they are dead nuts reliable. it's easy to see why the oem's use them.

my buddy's with vortech blowers or similar almost have turbo issues. nothing major just small annoying things. boost leaks, belt slipping. stuff like that.
Old 01-14-2016, 12:33 PM
cheapthrills
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by PegasusCapital
Go with Callaway, you won't regret it. You get a complete, state-of-the-art S/C package, not just some bolt-on kit, and you maintain your full GM warranty.

Plus there's a "cool" factor of owning a Callaway Corvette - - the way it looks and the way it performs - - and the name and reputation of the company behind it.
Yeah, if they where closer I'd probably be on this, the $3,200 R/T shipping hurts big time though.
Old 01-14-2016, 12:36 PM
cheapthrills
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by MikeLsx
I found that when i do heavy mods on the engine two things happen.

-The car becomes cooler
-my stress about the car increases

I also tend to put less miles on the car, and take better overall care of it. when my car is mostly stock, and still have warranty. I drive it harder and more carefree. Thats why a lot of times getting a Z06 is better for people who worry about stuff more.

Even putting money aside. Its a luxury to be able to turn into any chevy dealer if you have problems on the road or near home. They will cover you where ever you are. They will even get a flatbed if need be.

What are you going to do if you modded car starts having problems? take it to a dealership with all that custom work.

I had a heavily modded LS3 camaro that when i first bought was a daily driver, once the mods came it become a weekend car.
"Even putting money aside. Its a luxury to be able to turn into any chevy dealer if you have problems on the road or near home. They will cover you where ever you are. They will even get a flatbed if need be. "

The main reason I have done nothing.
Old 01-14-2016, 01:13 PM
08G8V8
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 79 Posts

.....just get ready to open your wallet! If you decide to go supercharged, you will get bit by the mod-bug, hard.....why not, you've already decided warranty is gone. You will eventually want to do a cam swap and get rid of the AFM, for more power. Then change pulley sizes, for more power. Then need larger injectors and larger fuel pump, because more power. Then wider wheels and tires, because more power. Then suspension modes, because more power.

I did this on my G8. Had fun doing it, but spent a hell of a lot of money! So now I have my supercharged G8 and my STOCK C7. I try not to stray from the General Discussion section here on this forum, avoiding the Tech/Performance section so I don't get sucked in again!

Good luck!
The following 2 users liked this post by 08G8V8:
raylo (06-14-2018), typeav (09-15-2016)
Old 01-14-2016, 01:41 PM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Received 346 Likes on 208 Posts

My suggestions:

1. Centrifugals have established themselves for reliability and have the ability to adequately intercooled...plus who doesn't like a real blow off valve.
2. If you DO decide Callaway, explore Uship.com for shipping options to and fro...MUCH cheaper insured and ENCLOSED carriers can be had if you put the car up for bid on transport
3. The Z06 vs Supercharge yours is a valid question...it really comes down to numbers and resale...only you can answer those questions...gotta bust out a pencil and paper there.
4. Frankly, any AA supercharger kit has been proven MEGA reliable on the forums here on all gens of Corvette and they're very affordable. I really don't see how you can go wrong. Belts popping and boost leaks begin when you're really pushing a setup in the MEGA high hp numbers. If you just do a basic kit that essentially bolts on 150whp'ish...you're good to go.

I've had an AA on my C5Z for several years and it's as reliable as a stock car and makes 580whp. Car is basically too fast for street use beyond quick blasts up the road, but it's in illegal territory...instantly. Don't overburden the stock components, only use a proven shop (if you're not doing your own install) with vouches, and get it done.

If I were you, the AA kit is the way to go....5200+ install and maybe a clutch and plenty of reputable places you can find to do your setup.
The following users liked this post:
psparrow (12-16-2017)
Old 01-14-2016, 01:47 PM
PNorris
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Same boat as OP

I am in the same boat as the OP. I am picking up my first Corvette this Saturday. I love power, however, I am concerned if I supercharge I will have a big problem with car should my engine go pop. I am very close to ECS. This car will also be my daily driver and I will put 100k on it over the next 7-8 years. Is it foolish for me to supercharge? I have another vehicle, however, I intend on daily driving the car weather permitting.
Old 01-14-2016, 01:58 PM
johnny c
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by RC000E

I've had an AA on my C5Z for several years and it's as reliable as a stock car and makes 580whp. Car is basically too fast for street use beyond quick blasts up the road, but it's in illegal territory...instantly.
that's why i like roots style. You really don't need to wait for the boost to come on, it's just there. it really makes passing enjoyable. forget downshifting. but that's just personal opinion speaking. some guys really really like dyno numbers.

my miata is the way you describe. 500hp 2400lbs. any gear, floor it, and if a cop is hiding you are going to jail.
Old 01-14-2016, 02:10 PM
djpatrick35
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by cheapthrills
Yeah, if they where closer I'd probably be on this, the $3,200 R/T shipping hurts big time though.
My dealer covered the cost of shipping my Callaway SC627. It's well worth it. I love my car. A lot of people are going to come out of the woodwork and talk about XYZ bolt-on will get you more power, but you have a lot of Corvette heritage with Callaway, increased resale value, intact factory warranty that can be extended to five years, plus the power is linear and excellent.

On top of that, no offense to the Z06 guys, but as great as that car is, they're selling like hotcakes so I was starting to see a them relatively often before the winter set in. I've seen ONE other C7 Callaway at the same price point. Plus, for me, like the OP, I prefer the sleeker looks of the Stingray over the Z.

Don't get me wrong, the Z06 is an awesome car, but having a Callaway is like riding around on a unicorn - no one else has got one - and that's an AWESOME feeling.
Old 01-14-2016, 02:32 PM
Motohead279
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

First consider what type of charger you want.
Benefits of a centri setup:
Cost. A system from ECS, A@A, Procharger are the best bang for the buck. Also, a centri has a few other benefits. Since boost does not start coming on until around 2500 rpm, during normal driving you are not under boost, saves fuel under normal driving conditions. They are also less prone to heat soak and will rev further and not fall flat at high rpms. True a top mount blower will hit boost at any rpm range, but honestly these cars have so much torque from the factory you are more likely to light up the tires with a top mount blower.

I boosted my car at round 3k miles, I was one of the first C7s with a blower installed. I started out at around 600rwhp, I'm now close to 1200rwhp, about to be close to 1400 rwhp in the next month or so. I have about 17k miles on the car and have not had any issues. I'm still on the stock clutch right now too... although a triple disc is going in next week.

I would suggest going ECS, Procharger or A&A. You cant beat the performance for the cost. I did not really worry about losing the warranty because the car is a side car I drive for fun and drive it when I'm not working, and also the fact the warranty is going to run out time wise long before I even put the warranty mileage limit on the car. Plus, most of my driving I do is normal driving while not in boost, so I'm now hammering on the car very much at all.

The most important variable in this is using a shop that knows what they are doing, especially tuning a C7.
Old 01-14-2016, 02:46 PM
alamo1974
Drifting

Received 82 Likes on 73 Posts

Supercharging is the best Bang for the Bucks!!! Did it on my C6 and will not do it again. Created problems - over heating
Old 01-14-2016, 05:56 PM
cheapthrills
Melting Slicks

Lots of great information and opinions here. Good food for thought.
Old 01-14-2016, 06:00 PM
Motohead279
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by alamo1974
Supercharging is the best Bang for the Bucks!!! Did it on my C6 and will not do it again. Created problems - over heating
I'm at 1200 rwhp with a 416 stroker motor and have a 180 degree thermostat and I run 180 while normal cruising.

Get notified of new replies

To Any supercharging regrets or horror stories?

Old 01-14-2016, 06:08 PM
CSEVEN
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 642 Likes on 289 Posts

No regrets with my Procharger with 10k miles on it.

I also tend to drive it less and less hard, but part of fun.

My only recommendation is to skip the can tune and use that money towards a custom tune.

I also considered a z06, but the tax savings alone covered the cost of Procharger.
Old 01-14-2016, 06:24 PM
cheapthrills
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by CSEVEN
No regrets with my Procharger with 10k miles on it.

I also tend to drive it less and less hard, but part of fun.

My only recommendation is to skip the can tune and use that money towards a custom tune.

I also considered a z06, but the tax savings alone covered the cost of Procharger.
Yeah unless you're trading in, lose 6.5% of 63K, then 6.5% of 83k (rough estimates) that's $9,490, pretty much covers the cost. I pretty much love my car so no need for a whole new one.

Last edited by cheapthrills; 01-14-2016 at 06:25 PM.
Old 01-14-2016, 07:32 PM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Received 346 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnny C @ OG
that's why i like roots style. You really don't need to wait for the boost to come on, it's just there. it really makes passing enjoyable. forget downshifting. but that's just personal opinion speaking. some guys really really like dyno numbers.

my miata is the way you describe. 500hp 2400lbs. any gear, floor it, and if a cop is hiding you are going to jail.
I built plenty of turbo'd 4 cylinders, the power onset is entirely different from a centri V8 package. LSx's already have a ton of torque. My centri makes the first 2 gears useless at any rpm, I don't see how a roots makes that better...traction is limited regardless. Having some linear power build is better for exit speed, traction management under lateral load, etc. Centri's don't impact your COG as much either, as all the bulk isn't above the engine.

Roots has a cleanliness factor in some ways, but those systems always tend to be more expensive, plus they often make that hillbilly Mustang cobra whine. That's just me...I'm not a fan.

Quick Reply: Any supercharging regrets or horror stories?