C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any supercharging regrets or horror stories?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2017, 11:48 AM
dbintegrity
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by cheapthrills
My original thread pop's back to the surface..

I ended up doing the Z06. I AM NOT a guy who likes or wants to work on cars. Some of us are great at it, I'm decent but hate it. I'd rather earn money with my time and buy the pre made. Love having a warranty and all you need to do is look at the for sale cars and see Mod's brig nothing to the table at resale. Sure some modded LT1's will walk me, hell a old modded supra probably can. For me I made the right choice for myself and this is very much a what works for yourself situation.

I will say before I bought the car I thought the Z would be to much for me, I was wrong.
Funny I think our posts crossed on the satellite... I definitely agree on just doing a Z06 vs Callaway conversion or adding bolt ons...
Old 12-17-2017, 11:52 AM
BDASSZO6
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm on the fence about adding a SC, I'd go with the Procharger over the competition because a Corvette shop very close to me is a certified procharger dealer/installer and this is not a job for me. After reading this post
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-and-roll.html

It really gave me the itch.

Known downside is loss of warranty.
Known upside is increase in fun factor.

I have gone back and forth on the Z06 or Callaway but the loss of value on my car plus the tax loss on the present car and new tax's on the Z make me want to wait on that. The Callaway install is just to far away and to much cost in shipping the car back and forth.

It seems to me that resale of a supercharged car my be more difficult and actually decrease the value of the car, just my perception but coming from a community of modded turbo cars, the really modded ones do not seem to sell. People put them back to stock and sell the parts for a fraction of what they paid.

So anyone have regrets after, having to be married to a local shop for issues, engines going pop, things like that.

Thoughts and stories welcome.
Is there a concern regarding longevity? The 6.2 LT1 has internal parts that are different than the 6.2 LT4. Crank, Rods, Pistons, valave springs etc, to handle the increased horspower. Does Callaway, edelbrock address any of these facts when purchasing and installing a supercharger on a stock LT1???
Old 12-17-2017, 12:16 PM
Martman C7
Instructor

Received 68 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by dbintegrity
I just priced it out for Callaway... The SC627.... a smooth 18K plus shipping... If I'm going to spend that kind of change... might as well just upgrade to a Z06... No ?
Holy bajesus that's a **** ton of money for a 627 crank hp upgrade. I guess it's like buying a Rolex vs a Timex. Timex will still give you the time, but Rolex has the brand recognition and envy factor.

I've seen people stating that the centris. are lower cost of entry, but don't the centri. systems cost about the same as the e-force with install?
Old 12-17-2017, 07:05 PM
Avanti
Race Director

Received 5,272 Likes on 3,497 Posts

Just my observation but I read a lot of concern about bucks in your post, depreciation, resale, shipping, etc. Plus, you don't seem to be one to do much with it, maintenance-wise. Hence, I think you'd be best off driving what you have until you trade.

All imho, of course... I've seen too many people go out-on-a-limb (for them) on performance mods and regret the consequences. I recall when I was on the C5 forum some years ago a guy bemoaned turning his $55K, reasonably capable sports-car into a $75K p.i.t.a. Better luck to ya!
Old 12-17-2017, 10:01 PM
0Quik Z06
Former Vendor

Received 411 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by psparrow
I'm interested in the base AA super charger for my base C7. I like the price and they seem very service oriented and responsive. But...I worry about resale and my propensity to flip cars.

But the thought of having 530 rwhp, and a car that's actually quicker than a new Z06 is sooooo tempting. My C7 is Shark Grey so it's as stealthy as a C7 can be. And I've always been a 911 guy and NEVER had a car this fast or capable and probably never will again. Combine those things and I'm nearly there. If the shop was up the block I may have already done it.
I went with A&A and couldn’t be happier. My car is at 610 whp with methanol, you could always not use meth and make a little less power. Everyone had their own opinion on blowers, personally I like Centri’s. If you were ever in my area I’d take you for a spin
Old 12-18-2017, 01:33 AM
xcpilot
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Martman C7
Holy bajesus that's a **** ton of money for a 627 crank hp upgrade. I guess it's like buying a Rolex vs a Timex. Timex will still give you the time, but Rolex has the brand recognition and envy factor.

I've seen people stating that the centris. are lower cost of entry, but don't the centri. systems cost about the same as the e-force with install?
My Magnussen cost a little over $10000 installed and tuned (very similar setup to an E force) in Scottsdale AZ. No way I would ever consider a Callaway for 18 grand.
Old 12-18-2017, 01:41 AM
Martman C7
Instructor

Originally Posted by xcpilot
My Magnussen cost a little over $10000 installed and tuned (very similar setup to an E force) in Scottsdale AZ. No way I would ever consider a Callaway for 18 grand.
$10K sounds more in line. I've seen E-Force installed for just under $10K also. In fact I think Weapon X advertises installed kits for under $10K. I know the Maggie kits are a little more expensive than e-force, but way more reasonable than 18K.
Old 12-18-2017, 06:23 PM
WKMCD
Race Director

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

My last vette was a well optimized 427 C5 that made 575/530RW. I found the C7 underpowered and very soggy on the bottom compared to that. I had ECS install and tune an Eforce and couldn't be happier. Instant grunt make it a blast to drive on the street and the zero maintenance is great. With an NA build you always have some cam effect. I could drive the Eforce C7 from coast to coast without ever going into boost...but what fun would that be.
The following users liked this post:
DOUG @ ECS (12-18-2017)
Old 12-19-2017, 10:54 AM
Martman C7
Instructor

Originally Posted by WKMCD
My last vette was a well optimized 427 C5 that made 575/530RW. I found the C7 underpowered and very soggy on the bottom compared to that. I had ECS install and tune an Eforce and couldn't be happier. Instant grunt make it a blast to drive on the street and the zero maintenance is great. With an NA build you always have some cam effect. I could drive the Eforce C7 from coast to coast without ever going into boost...but what fun would that be.
If you don't mind me asking (inquiring minds want to know), what was total for blower, install, and tune?
Old 12-27-2017, 08:11 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,950 Likes on 2,178 Posts

My original thread pop's back to the surface..

I ended up doing the Z06. I AM NOT a guy who likes or wants to work on cars. Some of us are great at it, I'm decent but hate it. I'd rather earn money with my time and buy the pre made. Love having a warranty and all you need to do is look at the for sale cars and see Mod's brig nothing to the table at resale. Sure some modded LT1's will walk me, hell a old modded supra probably can. For me I made the right choice for myself and this is very much a what works for yourself situation.

I will say before I bought the car I thought the Z would be to much for me, I was wrong.

Smart man.....best decision...

Congrats and enjoy
cheapthrills (12-27-2017)
Old 12-27-2017, 08:41 AM
BDASSZO6
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I had originally ordered a '19 GS Convertible, but drove a friend's limited edition GS and found I needed more. For the price of aftermarket you might as well order the factory Beast! So I cancelled the GS, and replaced it with the Zo6. I haven't driven one but am sure I won't be disappointed!
JerriVette (12-27-2017)
Old 12-27-2017, 11:23 AM
Hawkbarr
Racer

Received 220 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by JerriVette
Smart man.....best decision...

Congrats and enjoy
Good wisdom!
After having done heavy mods on past cars, and then getting stuck on the side of the road multiple times, I’ve learned I would rather buy performance than build performance at this point.Having been blessed with ownining 2 different C7 ZO6’s (A8 & M7) and an upcoming ZR1, I can say the stress level is much lower and comfort level high with knowing any Chevy dealer can help you. Plus I’m a more aggressive driver knowing I’m not going to ‘break’ the car!
The following 2 users liked this post by Hawkbarr:
cheapthrills (12-27-2017), JerriVette (12-27-2017)
Old 12-27-2017, 11:41 AM
red62vette
Pro

Received 220 Likes on 152 Posts

As others have mentioned, the LT1 is not as internally strong as an LT4 or LT5, and the compression ratio is too high for forced induction. Adding an aftermarket supercharger is asking for trouble. The Z06 is the right move. You can drive it hard and not worry.
JerriVette (12-27-2017)
Old 12-27-2017, 12:40 PM
Dane@LGmotorsports
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 641 Likes on 401 Posts

I'm on the fence about adding a SC, I'd go with the Procharger over the competition because a Corvette shop very close to me is a certified procharger dealer/installer and this is not a job for me. After reading this post

I have gone back and forth on the Z06 or Callaway but the loss of value on my car plus the tax loss on the present car and new tax's on the Z make me want to wait on that. The Callaway install is just to far away and to much cost in shipping the car back and forth.

It seems to me that resale of a supercharged car my be more difficult and actually decrease the value of the car, just my perception but coming from a community of modded turbo cars, the really modded ones do not seem to sell. People put them back to stock and sell the parts for a fraction of what they paid.

So anyone have regrets after, having to be married to a local shop for issues, engines going pop, things like that.

Really depends on what you are doing with the car to determine your best route, every customer car I do falls into one of three categories.
1. Road Race (Roots Style Supercharger)
2. Half/Quarter Straight line (Procharger)
3. I just want to get really scared when I floor it (Roots or Procharger)
For #3 I recommend a procharger set-up. Do the 8-Rib direct drive set-up and over-spec the unit and under-spin it for the time being to give yourself growing room (most people don't stop once they start).
Old 12-27-2017, 03:16 PM
cheapthrills
Melting Slicks

Received 441 Likes on 292 Posts

Originally Posted by BDASSZO6
I had originally ordered a '19 GS Convertible, but drove a friend's limited edition GS and found I needed more. For the price of aftermarket you might as well order the factory Beast! So I cancelled the GS, and replaced it with the Zo6. I haven't driven one but am sure I won't be disappointed!
No you will not be disappointed, went from a 15 Z51 but thought it needed a bit more, the Z06 delivers!

Originally Posted by Hawkbarr
Good wisdom!
After having done heavy mods on past cars, and then getting stuck on the side of the road multiple times, I’ve learned I would rather buy performance than build performance at this point.Having been blessed with ownining 2 different C7 ZO6’s (A8 & M7) and an upcoming ZR1, I can say the stress level is much lower and comfort level high with knowing any Chevy dealer can help you. Plus I’m a more aggressive driver knowing I’m not going to ‘break’ the car!
Exactly, you start modding then go on a road trip and have an issue, who you gonna call, ghost busters couldn't resist just popped into my skull but yeah who can you rely on to get the damn thing fixed when your 1,200 miles away from the guy who did it all. For me it was about the stress and comfort.
Old 12-27-2017, 04:57 PM
Naples FL
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 169 Likes on 90 Posts

Contact Eddie or Ben at Weapon-X. You won’t regret it!

Last edited by 9157; 12-28-2017 at 07:41 PM.
Old 12-27-2017, 05:59 PM
dork
Drifting

Received 225 Likes on 143 Posts

Exactly, you start modding then go on a road trip and have an issue, who you gonna call, ghost busters couldn't resist just popped into my skull but yeah who can you rely on to get the damn thing fixed when your 1,200 miles away from the guy who did it all.

These are my sentiments ezackly. Lots of authors in this thread mention warranty loss, "dealership" convenience, and getting stranded... We use our c7 for interstate (mostly coast-to-coast) exclusively. I'm scared of getting stuck somewhere out of state with an aftermarket FI mod--what do I do with my "customized" engine work that doesn't work?? and I absolutely HATE the Mickey Mouse z06 plastic spats look. If only they'd have just built it with wide fenders... sigh.

I wish someone would manufacture a 4.10 rear end for us...

Get notified of new replies

To Any supercharging regrets or horror stories?

Old 12-27-2017, 06:28 PM
cheapthrills
Melting Slicks

Received 441 Likes on 292 Posts

Originally Posted by dork
These are my sentiments ezackly. Lots of authors in this thread mention warranty loss, "dealership" convenience, and getting stranded... We use our c7 for interstate (mostly coast-to-coast) exclusively. I'm scared of getting stuck somewhere out of state with an aftermarket FI mod--what do I do with my "customized" engine work that doesn't work?? and I absolutely HATE the Mickey Mouse z06 plastic spats look. If only they'd have just built it with wide fenders... sigh.

I wish someone would manufacture a 4.10 rear end for us...
" HATE the Mickey Mouse z06 plastic spats"

Don't even notice them when I'm sitting with a huge smile on my face driving this beast.
JerriVette (12-29-2017)
Old 12-28-2017, 02:27 PM
chefcg1
Melting Slicks

Received 562 Likes on 379 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

My setup was used a&a with 800 miles on it $3600, Dyno tune $1000, smaller pulley 3.8 $50 off eBay, new belt $25 off eBay, FYI wheel tool $20 off eBay , new set of plugs $ 89 Amazon. Installed myself over 3 days. Total $4784. Results 606whp, 566tq.
Very happy with not a single issue with 10k of daily driving.

Last edited by chefcg1; 12-28-2017 at 02:27 PM.
Zap City (12-28-2017)
Old 12-28-2017, 03:27 PM
///ADMAN
Melting Slicks

Received 471 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by Dane@LGmotorsports
Really depends on what you are doing with the car to determine your best route, every customer car I do falls into one of three categories.
1. Road Race (Roots Style Supercharger)
Spot on

Very happy with my choice. At 38K now. So, time for headers and new tune.

Quick Reply: Any supercharging regrets or horror stories?