Sponsored by:

C7 vs 6th Gen | The RWHP and RWTQ debate is OVER | JDP Motorsports

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2015, 06:36 PM
BJ67
Melting Slicks

Received 591 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by JDP Motorsports
The premise for this test was honestly to disprove that the gap between the C7 and 6th Gen were as wide as reported previously. When you compare 2 cars on different days with different fuels the results can vary. This test was done on the same day on the same dyno for a very fair comparison. Although the peak HP delta wasn't significant between the 2 cars the low to mid range torque was substantial do to the tri-y manifold design on the Camaro. I'm sure GM will turn up the tune on the Corvette.

The dyno isn't hard on the cars and it isn't loaded during these pulls. We got all of the fluid temps up to operating temperature. We take brand new cars weekly with less than 100 miles and add 200+ WHP. I always break engines in the way I plan on driving them regardless.

The Camaro is actually closer in weight than that but the Corvette does have an aero and slight power to weight advantage. We'll be testing the handling on both cars in the near future to see how close they are but having driven both cars the Camaro is much closer now than it has ever been. I also own a 5th Gen and stock to stock the 6th Gen kills it!

They were both in Track Mode.

I believe that is a by product of the manifold design. They were nearly identical up top but the torque in the mid range was significantly higher on the 6th Gen.

Where is the showmanship in that!

We appreciate the support and we are GM fanatics so we all win with these two platforms! We build Camaro's and Corvette's here so we're happy either way.

Kind regards,

Jordan Priestley
The base 6 speed manual SS Camaro is a full 350 lbs heavier than a base 7 speed manual 3300LB vette. It will never be a problem. Beside's who races chevy versus chevy. I am so glad the Camaro romps on those pesky mustangs. I have been doing it for years, my lonely corvette v/s a bunch of mustang guys.
Old 12-31-2015, 12:58 PM
ratman6161
Pro

Received 122 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by JDP Tech
After the Vettes first pull compared to the Camaros first pull it looked like the Camaro was going to smash the Vette but after 4 pulls on each, things we much more even. Biggest thing I notice is the Camaros early torque advantage.

I'll admit, we we're pulling for the Camaro to win but like many have pointed out, the little advantage the Camaro has will not give it the edge over the Vette in performance, due to weight, height, aerodynamics, etc, etc. It does appear that the LT1 in the Camaro does indeed have a little more punch though, more at the lower RPMs than anything else.

Thanks for reading, Corvetteforum!!

All the best,

Jared Royce
The numbers seem very, very close to me. Close enough that the difference is just the normal variation from one car to the next? i.e. test multiple different Camaros and couldn't you get that much variation among them? What I'm getting at is that its so close, its essentially a tie, isn't it?
Old 12-31-2015, 01:32 PM
0JDP Tech
Former Vendor

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by ratman6161
The numbers seem very, very close to me. Close enough that the difference is just the normal variation from one car to the next? i.e. test multiple different Camaros and couldn't you get that much variation among them? What I'm getting at is that its so close, its essentially a tie, isn't it?
Its virtually a tie as it pertains to peak power but the Camaro made over 20 lbs more torque early in the pull. That isn't veryance, that is more torque for sure.

Jared Royce
Old 12-31-2015, 05:03 PM
Skidplate
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 207 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by dmhines
I assume C7 NPP was in Sport Mode to get the extra 5HP right?
Originally Posted by speedlink
The Camaro had 5 more hp. Not the other way around.
dmhines is referring to the extra 5hp the NPP exhaust gives the C7.
Old 12-31-2015, 07:15 PM
PLRX
Team Owner

Received 501 Likes on 342 Posts
Co-winner 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C4 of Year
2016 C7 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

Originally Posted by Mobil 1
Did I read that right...5 HP more with the Camaro?
What does the Camaro way? It has to be 300 lbs heavier.

5 HP won't help.
No it will not. The weight, and aerodynamics.

I ws at the dealer doing the 500 miles oil change, and there was a black SS on the show floor.

I got to say I'm impressed with the new Camaro. I like the way it looks, its smaller, the interiors, the front, the engine bay, and noticed...

Noticed that now the Camaro has Corvette tail lights.

At the dealer; I guess they don't have an employee of the month.

Old 01-01-2016, 11:41 AM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Received 346 Likes on 208 Posts

I can't lie...a part of me wants to the new camaro 2.0 turbo (not to replace a Corvette of course, but to supplement). I built turbo 4cyl cars for a long time and there is tons of fun there, with a nice rwd platform connected to it. I think this new Camaro is gonna kill it...it looks pretty badass.
Old 01-04-2016, 05:37 PM
0JDP Tech
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by RC000E
I can't lie...a part of me wants to the new camaro 2.0 turbo (not to replace a Corvette of course, but to supplement). I built turbo 4cyl cars for a long time and there is tons of fun there, with a nice rwd platform connected to it. I think this new Camaro is gonna kill it...it looks pretty badass.
I was tempted to get the 2.0 also. I just couldn't do it. There is a TON of potential and for the weight savings, i'm sure there will be MANY people that make the 2.0 into a real contender.

All the best,

Jared Royce
Old 01-18-2016, 01:25 PM
Detroit Steel
CorvetteForum Editor

Received 58 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Front Page Coverage

Thought the front page crowd would find this interesting too...
https://www.corvetteforum.com/articl...te-power-bets/

Last edited by Detroit Steel; 01-18-2016 at 01:26 PM.
The following users liked this post:
JDP Tech (01-18-2016)
Old 01-18-2016, 03:35 PM
0JDP Tech
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Detroit Steel
Thought the front page crowd would find this interesting too...
https://www.corvetteforum.com/articl...te-power-bets/
Thats awesome! Thanks for posting this up!!

All the best,

Jared Royce

Last edited by JDP Tech; 01-18-2016 at 03:35 PM.
Old 01-18-2016, 03:48 PM
Deuuuce
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

There is also an allowable variance in power for the production engines. Probably 2%.
Old 01-19-2016, 03:41 PM
zeshawn
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

sorry if i missed it but were both cars dyno'ed in the 1:1 gear? Now even if they were dynoed in 1:1, the different ratio differential can cause this difference in power, so the difference is in wheel HP but the engines are most likely identically powered.
Old 02-03-2016, 02:55 PM
0JDP Tech
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by zeshawn
sorry if i missed it but were both cars dyno'ed in the 1:1 gear? Now even if they were dynoed in 1:1, the different ratio differential can cause this difference in power, so the difference is in wheel HP but the engines are most likely identically powered.
Both were done in their 1:1 gears.

Jared Royce
Old 02-03-2016, 03:25 PM
MikeLsx
Drifting

Received 200 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by PLRX
No it will not. The weight, and aerodynamics.

I ws at the dealer doing the 500 miles oil change, and there was a black SS on the show floor.

I got to say I'm impressed with the new Camaro. I like the way it looks, its smaller, the interiors, the front, the engine bay, and noticed...

Noticed that now the Camaro has Corvette tail lights.

At the dealer; I guess they don't have an employee of the month.

biggest problem with the camaro is not the looks or performance.

its the fact that its a camaro. they are offered in 4 cylinder and 6 cylinder options that overpopulation the roads.

the corvette with its higher price, and two seats leads to less sales which makes the car little more special. Although overtime corvettes become popular with the used market/production numbers.

I think they make like 70k-100k camaros a year, where they probably make like 20k corvettes a year. (besides the first year)

Last edited by MikeLsx; 02-03-2016 at 03:26 PM.
Old 02-03-2016, 04:18 PM
roadbike56
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,609 Likes on 1,037 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16-'17,'22,'24

Originally Posted by brandont619
I really hope not... I just ordered a 2016

Ehh, I wouldn't have been able to wait for a 2017 model, anyways. You'll never win playing the waiting game...
Let's see, young, single, summertime,...... Yup! you want a 2016.

Oh man, those were the days, a new Vette, summer, the beach, you're bringing me back.
Old 02-03-2016, 04:30 PM
Dogfather6
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Corvette will always be a Corvette. I drive a '16 Camaro 2SS (first delivery) and I was debating between 2015 (gen5) ZL1 camaro or a C7 z51. I went with the camaro I do not regret it one bit. I am not a small guy and the cabin feel and space is just much more comfortable for me in the new camaro compared to a c7. My brother from another mother (Kracka) has a c7 z51 so I was able to come up with fair comparison between them. Just don't make the mistake of comparing the gen5 vs gen6 It would be like looking at a c7 vs c2. Just like MikeLSX said, there will a gagilian of camaros out there, most will be 2.0L (whenever they release them) and LTs (V6) and some SS's and there will only be about 30% C7s around compared to the Camaro's in a year... Basic math, C7 cost vs 2.0L / LT / SS costs. Just gotta say, thank you to all C7 owners and vendors for supporting the C7 and paving the way so I could buy such an amazing car (gen6 camaro 2SS)

Quick Reply: C7 vs 6th Gen | The RWHP and RWTQ debate is OVER | JDP Motorsports