C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2016 Camaro SS, C7's Biggest Competitor?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2015, 05:33 PM
RedC7AZ
Race Director

Received 534 Likes on 334 Posts

Originally Posted by Suns_PSD
I don't know why anyone would expect GM to downgrade Camaro performance just so their air of smugness remains in tact from driving their C7? GM is in the business of selling cars and they have to compete in the open market, while controlling development costs. The most obvious thing to do is to share powertrains. Duh!

The new Camaro is likely a better car for most. Listen, I track my C6 but 99% of people don't, and frankly the new Camaro I guarantee has similar performance when driven and set up correctly at the track. The old body style Z28 will beat any base C7 and any C7Zs if it's hotter than 85 degrees outside. So the Camaro 4-seater beating the Vette is nothing new.

I Vette is nice, but not really a 'status' symbol imo. Some guy was bragging cause he bought a stripped C7 for $52K! I'd MUCH rather have a loaded new body style Camaro over a base stripped C7.

Get over yourselves!

BTW, I have to admit that when the new C7 was released that is what drew me in to look at Vettes seriously for the first time but I ended up with a C6. It just took a lot of studying of the forms of the cars to realize that the previously never looked at C6 was really the looker. That's just my opinion but I am no longer enamored with the C7.
Yawn.
Old 12-18-2015, 05:36 PM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,291 Likes on 1,400 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by IntricateDetail
Hmmm, interesting. Not saying you have to be a member of a club...but I'm sure you have friends, and you sometimes drive around with them...or maybe not. But I'd say your "vast majority" comment becomes null and void if you're saying you just drive around by yourself all the time and don't hang out with other car enthusiasts. Don't know many people that like cars that do that...
I've been a car guy my entire life. I'm 58 and have owned more muscle and performance cars than I can count. We live in a small town in western Colorado now. There is no Corvette club here and no real performance car club. So yeah, I do the "spirited" drives (LOTS of twisty mountain roads near here with no traffic) either by myself or with my wife following in her 2012 Mustang Shelby GT500 SVT vert.

Haha, this is awesome. Not that it matters whether I believe it or not, but I DO! I mean, it's a no-brainer that 9 times out of 10, you are PASSING a Vette who is cruising in the right lane of traffic, not the other way around. I don't know that I have EVER been "blown" past by a Vette, it's just not something that happens often. Just like I've rarely, if ever seen a guy under 45 driving a Vette on the road. I know they exist....but the batch that I've seen in my time driving, seem to be consistently in the gray (grey for all you Brits) hair department.
I'd destroy that stereotype if you ever passed me - if I let you pass me.

You and I think the same. When I'm older, I am literally going to be driving a Benz or Audi or something nice and comfy that allows me to have a surround sound like symphony encasing me in amazing trap music as I sip hot tea and drive casually to my next bowling tournament (yes I love bowling).
That'll change. Once a performance car guy, always a performance car guy. I can afford pretty much any car I want and I have no desire to own some cushy luxury car. Doubt I ever will.

Old 12-18-2015, 05:37 PM
IntricateDetail
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by RedC7AZ
Yawn.
The level of effort you must have had to put into that response astounds me. It sounds like you, like a few others in this thread...don't actually WANT the facts, you want to convince YOURSELF you made the right choice spending $20k more for a car that is now available as a grocery getter with the same performance. Don't hate the "players" (all of us consumers), hate the game (pony wars and the car world in general).

Tsk tsk. I expected more.
Old 12-18-2015, 05:41 PM
IntricateDetail
Instructor

Originally Posted by Steve_R
I've been a car guy my entire life. I'm 58 and have owned more muscle and performance cars than I can count. We live in a small town in western Colorado now. There is no Corvette club here and no real performance car club. So yeah, I do the "spirited" drives (LOTS of twisty mountain roads near here with no traffic) either by myself or with my wife following in her 2012 Mustang Shelby GT500 SVT vert.

I'd destroy that stereotype if you ever passed me - if I let you pass me.

That'll change. Once a performance car guy, always a performance car guy. I can afford pretty much any car I want and I have no desire to own some cushy luxury car. Doubt I ever will.

That's very interesting. I will have to just wait and see if the same applies to me, but I'll take your word for it...for now. I do think I will always enjoy a good performance car, just not as my daily driver. Right now, I totally want a Vette/Camaro as my DD.

About the car clubs, I totally understand that...and it's super cool that you and your wife do spirited runs together. That's totally how I envision my wife and I doing it in a few years.

And I bet you wouldn't let me pass you, for that very reason hahaha. But I'd love every second of listening to your exhaust as you blazed off into the distance. Especially now since I am driving a Honda Accord V6 coupe haha.
Old 12-18-2015, 05:50 PM
cheapthrills
Melting Slicks

Received 441 Likes on 292 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeLsx
Heres my view on the age thing. When i am a older guy like 55+. I probably wont even care to drive a corvette. Because i will value other things. The corvette is small, and rough on the roads. I dont think i will ever understand why so many older guys even want vettes. I would probably prefer a benz AMG.

I am in my mid 20s. I drive a blacked out c7. I get so many looks from girls around my age, and guys. They see my corvette and see i am not a old guy. I dont see the problem.
I'm 55+, just by a year or two. I friggen hate a benz, AMG or not. Yes I could afford one but no way in hell I want one. I love the bit of roughness the C7 gives, I like the sound of the engine, the looks of the car, the internal organ smashing G's. Some of the fun is something just a bit rough on the edges. I learned my lesson with ATV's. Had a brute force 750, it was rough to ride, fast as hell and all around a bit of a brute. After about 5 years I decided to buy a new quad, Can Am 800 XT R. Yeah it's still fast but it's not rough around the edges, it's to comfy, to soft, and it doesn't bite like the brute, I miss the old bike.

Anyway just because you get old doesn't mean you grow up, I not doing f'ing tea in the Rolls.

Last edited by cheapthrills; 12-18-2015 at 05:51 PM.
The following users liked this post:
hootowlc7 (12-19-2015)
Old 12-18-2015, 05:56 PM
IntricateDetail
Instructor

Originally Posted by cheapthrills
I'm 55+, just by a year or two. I friggen hate a benz, AMG or not. Yes I could afford one but no way in hell I want one. I love the bit of roughness the C7 gives, I like the sound of the engine, the looks of the car, the internal organ smashing G's. Some of the fun is something just a bit rough on the edges. I learned my lesson with ATV's. Had a brute force 750, it was rough to ride, fast as hell and all around a bit of a brute. After about 5 years I decided to buy a new quad, Can Am 800 XT R. Yeah it's still fast but it's not rough around the edges, it's to comfy, to soft, and it doesn't bite like the brute, I miss the old bike.

Anyway just because you get old doesn't mean you grow up, I not doing f'ing tea in the Rolls.
Lol, touche. No tea for this guy!! I loved the Honda 250R btw. I was always a bit of a two stroke guy...loved the immediate power, the fast revs...indeed. Grew up on that and a 300EX.
Old 12-18-2015, 05:56 PM
kp
Melting Slicks

Received 119 Likes on 96 Posts

This reminds me of when the '98 F-bodies would dyno a tiny bit higher then the C5s, almost the end of the world for many C5 owners back in 1998 - but everyone survived
Old 12-18-2015, 06:03 PM
cheapthrills
Melting Slicks

I find all this back and forth a bit humorous, since I am on Camaro6 all the time, and have seen at least a couple of guys on there that were either going to buy, or HAD C7's and traded them in/changed their minds and got a Camaro 2SS instead. The facts are there. Performance is very close. The times are there. Look at hero runs for 16 Camaro SS vs C7 Corvette. You're talking fractions of a second, and people are JUST getting their Camaro. The Corvette owners have had years to rack up these hero times.

It's a bit laughable as well that people think there is NOBODY cross shopping a Vette and Camaro. Uh, case in point...I am. I don't know what to get. I just posted a thread (same username) on Camaro6 with this very conundrum. I am young (20s), can afford either, but don't have a clue which to get. I drove the new Camaro, and if you don't think it gets looks, you're crazy. Now some of that may be due to it being very new, but it's still a nice looking car. Definitely not as mean and aggressive as the Vette, but no slouch in the looks department. An aftermarket spoiler, some side skirts and a nice splitter and that 6th Gen Camaro is going to clean up really nicely.

As for performance, they are so stinking close it's not worth the sneeze to argue over it. They both offer great power and you can up that pretty easily with bolt-ons, tunes, cams, and blowers. So there will never be an end to amount of power you can have aftermarket-wise.

There are some people who CHOOSE Camaro over Corvette for one simple reason. They don't want to be in clubs with "old" guys. It's a stigma, and one a lot of guys just aren't willing to accept. They don't want to be bundled up in a group of 50-60 year old guys when they're in their 20-30's. That's a fact, and so if the option is buy a Camaro that has very close to the same performance as a Corvette, but be able to be in a club that focuses on track days and modding, as opposed to car shows and waxing, then they are going to take the Camaro and call it a day. Again, this is a "stigma", and a highly exaggerated representation of what might actually go on at Corvette meets. I just know how "pony car" guys feel about Corvette clubs, and I have a few friends who own C6's, and say they won't buy again because of the fact they are 20 years younger than everyone else in the club. And they talk about how at meets, the guys open their trunks, pull out lawn chairs and chit chat about "Vietnam" over light beers". I'm sure that's an exaggeration as well...but there's obviously some truth to the stigma and the stories. Heck, GM knows it, they specifically stated they wanted to target a wider demographic with the new Vette. They don't just want older retired gents buying the car. Back on topic...if prospective buyers want to spend $70k, there are bound to be tons of blower options by the time they have their new Camaro broken in, and they can spend another $15k putting 550RWHP+ in their 4 seater grocery getter.

So yea, a Camaro will never be a Corvette, and if I saw the two side by side a year ago, I would probably spend more time looking at the Corvette, but that's because it was newer and the "top of the line". But with the Camaro, it's now newer, and it has a lot of the same things the Corvette does, along with tech you can't even get in the Corvette.

So all that being said...which would I get? I don't know...or I would have had an order in already. I've driven a 6th Gen Camaro...I haven't driven the new Corvette. So I will need to do that before I make up my mind, but I just don't know if I think the "looks" of the Vette are worth $20k. And yes, because by the time I buy, you will be able to get an optioned 6th Gen Camaro 2SS for $45k, and the Z51 Corvette (only model I would buy) is going to run me $65k.

Hope you all don't think I'm trolling and that you realize that I have been posting my indecision for quite some time on the Camaro forum as I've been watching the 6th gen develop. It's CRAZY to think that nobody will cross shop, and it's insane to think that this Camaro isn't going to steal from Corvette sales, because it already has...again, just go to the Camaro forums and you will see them over there talking about it, while the forum members go crazy that Corvette owners would sell their C7 to get the new Camaro. Of course it makes them happy, because it shows what a freaking good job GM did on this latest beast of a machine they built.

My $0.02, take it or leave it.
Not a bad write up "from a young whippersnapper" Just a joke, if I ever user that word permission to shoot me.

While no where near as young as you I had originally thought against the C7 for many of the stereotypical reasons you mentioned. Now at the time the Camaro was IMO not even close to the same league as far as looks and interior. I started to not really care, because I wanted the car to drive and I really don't give a poop what others think. Overall I don't get the feeling that people classify this car the same way, nothing but mega positive comments from all walks of life, young, old, male, female. I would not not buy the car because of that.

As far as the Camaro, clearly if I was saving money or on a budget I'd be all over the Camaro. My son has an FR-S, he wanted to turbo it. I told him just buy a new Camaro SS, be 100x better then the FR-S, and you would have a warranty.

Either the C7 or Camaro is a great choice IMO.

Last edited by cheapthrills; 12-18-2015 at 06:04 PM.
Old 12-18-2015, 06:06 PM
05XLRtoC7_San Diego
Burning Brakes

Received 232 Likes on 147 Posts

I'm in my 30s and love all the looks I get in my Vette.
Guess people don't expect someone so young to be driving it.

Attended a local Vette club meeting- the folks were extremely nice and friendly, but most of the members were late 50s, 60s, 70s and even 80s. It was the same thing in the Miata club- I was at least 1/2 the age of everyone else.

The performance for $ question facing the 6Gen Camaro SS vs C7 is very similar to Porsche with the Boxster S & Cayman S vs 911 base.
$20-30k less for very similar performance. However, the 911 (much like the Vette) will always have the prestige as being the halo model.

I test-drove an ATS sedan, and LOVED the chassis- so I'm sure the new Camaro handles and feels amazing. And obviously the engine and A8 from the Vette are top-notch. If I was going to get a manual, I'd pick the Camaro over the C7 since I prefer the 6 speed over the 7 speed.

However, the styling change for the 6Gen is way too minimal.
To the average non-enthusiast, it looks almost identical to the ones from 2010-2015- of which there are 500,000 on the road http://media.gm.com/media/us/en/gm/n...13-camaro.html

Just too generic. There's 394 5th Gen Camaro's selling for under $15k on Autotrader now.
I must see 10+ rental Camaro's a day in San Diego. I see maybe 1 convertible C7 each month.

Last edited by 05XLRtoC7_San Diego; 12-18-2015 at 06:07 PM.
Old 12-18-2015, 06:17 PM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,291 Likes on 1,400 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Old 12-18-2015, 07:17 PM
RedC7AZ
Race Director

Received 534 Likes on 334 Posts

The level of effort you must have had to put into that response astounds me. It sounds like you, like a few others in this thread...don't actually WANT the facts, you want to convince YOURSELF you made the right choice spending $20k more for a car that is now available as a grocery getter with the same performance. Don't hate the "players" (all of us consumers), hate the game (pony wars and the car world in general).

Tsk tsk. I expected more.
LOL Whatever you need to tell yourself.
Was my apathy for Camaro owner's opinions of the C7 that apparent?

Last edited by RedC7AZ; 12-18-2015 at 07:22 PM.
Old 12-18-2015, 07:35 PM
MikeLsx
Drifting

Received 200 Likes on 151 Posts

I am honestly impressed more than anything else. Because my father is 56. guy has a bad back, and is kind of overweight. my mom is in much better shape. So i am sure some guys will still be in pretty good shape.

My dad would never like getting in and out of a low car, rougher ride, no space etc... I feel like the idea of a two seater, rough riding, less comfort is kind youthful thinking.
cheapthrills (12-18-2015)
Old 12-18-2015, 07:38 PM
IntricateDetail
Instructor

Originally Posted by RedC7AZ
LOL Whatever you need to tell yourself.
Was my apathy for Camaro owner's opinions of the C7 that apparent?
You're really the only one on this thread who feels the need to convince himself that he is in a different league strictly on the basis of how much he paid for his car lol. Other people are talking facts and performance numbers, etc. You are just like I AM BETTER BECAUSE I PAID MORE!! If you like your car more, cool story. Nobody said you couldn't. You're your own man, at least I hope. But it's sad that you have to try to make yourself feel superior in some misguided way. Many Camaro owners could say the same of you. "Is our apathy for a silly Corvette owner who paid $25k more for the same car I have, only with less tech options, that obvious??" I can't tell if you have an inferiority complex and are compensating...or a superiority complex...or maybe just some sort of crazy counter-projection going on here...but in case you were unaware...none of those are good. Lol.
Old 12-18-2015, 07:47 PM
AHW219
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're probably around the same age maybe I'm a bit older....go test drive the new AMG GT S. Put it in S+ or R(ace) mode. The raw linear power - yes smashing G, stiff chasis, no body roll, awesome cornering, instantaneous DCT, and intoxicating exhaust note. All this with high quality fit and finish and luxury. Probably change your mind about MBZ AMG. After the test drive I had to get it so ordered it last month and it should be delivered early April! X'mas in April

I still own C6 which I enjoy on some weekends and my current dd is SL550. SL550 is no slouch but more towards luxury than simple raw power. MikeLsx power with luxury is a nice combination to have!
Old 12-18-2015, 07:51 PM
IntricateDetail
Instructor

Originally Posted by AHW219
We're probably around the same age maybe I'm a bit older....go test drive the new AMG GT S. Put it in S+ or R(ace) mode. The raw linear power - yes smashing G, stiff chasis, no body roll, awesome cornering, instantaneous DCT, and intoxicating exhaust note. All this with high quality fit and finish and luxury. Probably change your mind about MBZ AMG. After the test drive I had to get it so ordered it last month and it should be delivered early April! X'mas in April

I still own C6 which I enjoy on some weekends and my current dd is SL550. SL550 is no slouch but more towards luxury than simple raw power. MikeLsx power with luxury is a nice combination to have!
Sounds awesome!! I was going to grab one of the CLA45 AMG but just figured a more "rough and tough" sports car would suffice for now....of course, when I finally do make up my mind it will probably be an M3. LOL There are a lot of options for cool cars between $50-$75k. Even if you just wait and buy one that's a year old with 3-5k miles on it. I'm not a huge fan of buying new unless I have to. That peace of mind isn't worth that much money IMO.
Old 12-18-2015, 08:06 PM
AHW219
Instructor

Sounds awesome!! I was going to grab one of the CLA45 AMG but just figured a more "rough and tough" sports car would suffice for now....of course, when I finally do make up my mind it will probably be an M3. LOL There are a lot of options for cool cars between $50-$75k. Even if you just wait and buy one that's a year old with 3-5k miles on it. I'm not a huge fan of buying new unless I have to. That peace of mind isn't worth that much money IMO.
I hear you. Depreciation on AMG is Horrendous (capital H). On the GT S only way to get it now is new, plus allocation so no deal to speak of. Yes there are whole mess of cool cars in the 50 ~ 75K range and if you are patient as you seem to be you'll be able to have the cake and eat it too!
Old 12-18-2015, 08:11 PM
IntricateDetail
Instructor

I hear you. Depreciation on AMG is Horrendous (capital H). On the GT S only way to get it now is new, plus allocation so no deal to speak of. Yes there are whole mess of cool cars in the 50 ~ 75K range and if you are patient as you seem to be you'll be able to have the cake and eat it too!
Well that GT S is in a whole different performance league than what I'm looking at...from the reviews at least. That thing is what should be competing with the Z06 right? Haha. The thing is, if I used OTHER people's deciding parameters, I could afford a whole lot of car. Well over $100k...but to me, having money in the bank doesn't necessarily mean you should buy a car with it. I mean, no, it's not going to do you any good when you're dead...but I only want to spend a fraction of it on a car, what with it being a horrible "investment" and all. But there is that temptation to just be like eh, screw it, and go build a Z07 Vette just because I can. One thing I will say...and I know I will catch flack for this...I am seriously interested in what this new Trackhawk will bring to the table. I've always wanted a Jeep SRT, and the fact they are going to go all out and give it the full 707HP is insane. And it's supposed to start at $79k. Somehow, numbers are being thrown around of a potential mid 2 second 0-60 time. Whaaaaa??? Yea, I'd be hard pressed to not drop cash down on a pre-order of one of those. Reliability aside...that's going to be one sick vehicle.

Last edited by IntricateDetail; 12-18-2015 at 08:13 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To 2016 Camaro SS, C7's Biggest Competitor?

Old 12-18-2015, 08:29 PM
AHW219
Instructor

Well that GT S is in a whole different performance league than what I'm looking at...from the reviews at least. That thing is what should be competing with the Z06 right? Haha. The thing is, if I used OTHER people's deciding parameters, I could afford a whole lot of car. Well over $100k...but to me, having money in the bank doesn't necessarily mean you should buy a car with it. I mean, no, it's not going to do you any good when you're dead...but I only want to spend a fraction of it on a car, what with it being a horrible "investment" and all. But there is that temptation to just be like eh, screw it, and go build a Z07 Vette just because I can. One thing I will say...and I know I will catch flack for this...I am seriously interested in what this new Trackhawk will bring to the table. I've always wanted a Jeep SRT, and the fact they are going to go all out and give it the full 707HP is insane. And it's supposed to start at $79k. Somehow, numbers are being thrown around of a potential mid 2 second 0-60 time. Whaaaaa??? Yea, I'd be hard pressed to not drop cash down on a pre-order of one of those. Reliability aside...that's going to be one sick vehicle.

Fortunately where I'm at in my life getting GT S doesn't affect me at all financially. Having said that your outlook on handling finances are prudent and responsible. Don't know anything about Trackhawk, are you telling me that it's going to be a Jeep with 700+ horse!?! That is insane! There's so much choice now, nice time to be in if you love performance cars!
Old 12-18-2015, 08:54 PM
IntricateDetail
Instructor

Fortunately where I'm at in my life getting GT S doesn't affect me at all financially. Having said that your outlook on handling finances are prudent and responsible. Don't know anything about Trackhawk, are you telling me that it's going to be a Jeep with 700+ horse!?! That is insane! There's so much choice now, nice time to be in if you love performance cars!
That's great! Happy that things are awesome for you. I want to be able to sit back in my 40's and 50's and know that things are wonderful as well. Prudent and responsible aren't the words that have been used when describing more. More like..."stupid prude" and "tightwad" and "cheap". Pretty sure I have never spent more than $40 on a pair of shoes, and I am still wearing shirts that I had when I was 19. :P Lol. I just figure what's the point? I'm married with 2 kids...my wife loves me and that's all that matters. Who else do I need to impress? Haha. She's very frugal as well, so we just don't ever spend much. I figure may as well splurge a bit on a car now that I don't have a valid excuse not to.

As for the Trackhawk....yuppers. It's like the Charger/Challenger Hellcats....but in Jeep form. They already have the Jeep SRT, but this one will be the 707HP version...still AWD...and rumored to be 2.7 seconds 0-60 level of quickness.

That being said, the sticker price is $79,999...but they've already said the Trackhawk is only going to be made for 1 model year, and they are discontinuing the Hellcats as well. That means, you could see some seriously inflated prices on all these cars soon, so now might be a good time to buy if you have the cash and want one of these to have as a "keepsake" of a time when you could have a 700HP family sedan and SUV. Lol.

Last edited by IntricateDetail; 12-18-2015 at 08:55 PM.
Old 12-18-2015, 09:17 PM
cheapthrills
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by MikeLsx
I am honestly impressed more than anything else. Because my father is 56. guy has a bad back, and is kind of overweight. my mom is in much better shape. So i am sure some guys will still be in pretty good shape.

My dad would never like getting in and out of a low car, rougher ride, no space etc... I feel like the idea of a two seater, rough riding, less comfort is kind youthful thinking.
Not to derail to far, but it's a matter of taking care of your main vehicle, your body first and above all. I ride ATV's all day with my son, ski with him all day, wakeboard with my daughter, just keep active.. Just need to keep yourself young through diet and exercise. I'm about 54 in this pic.

Can you guess the fish?

Anyway, point being you get older but don't have to be f'ing old.

Last edited by cheapthrills; 12-18-2015 at 09:18 PM.
MikeLsx (12-18-2015)

Quick Reply: 2016 Camaro SS, C7's Biggest Competitor?