Key Fob #1?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2015, 03:36 PM
Lyons16
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Key Fob #1?

Hi,
I've been reading through all the key fob questions and I'm still a bit confused. Is there a way to tell, what key fob is #1 or #2? From what I've read, the first one you use and program for memory that is supposed to be #1. Is this correct? I've looked inside the key and both of my keys say#1, so I'm thinking that's not the correct way to tell which is 1 or 2. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Jerry
Old 10-30-2015, 03:43 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

No.

You can enjoy this original discussion:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-key-fobs.html
The following users liked this post:
Lyons16 (10-30-2015)
Old 10-30-2015, 06:09 PM
rcooper
Safety Car

Received 676 Likes on 480 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Mine both have a 1 on the key so that is useless. I got lucky and programmed the setting the way I wanted them and the fob I had in my pocket talked to the car and everything worked the way it should.
Try grabbing a fob and setting the memory with the fob you have in hand ( or pocket ) and see if you get lucky, if not get the other fob and then mark them in a way that makes it easy to tell which is which.
Oh, and the discussion that Rick T mentions is good for a couple of laughs, but it leads you to believe that GM doesn't have a clue. Which I think is pretty much true when it comes to the fobs.

Last edited by rcooper; 10-30-2015 at 06:09 PM.
Lyons16 (10-30-2015)
Old 10-30-2015, 06:53 PM
stevedun
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Cruise-In 8-9-10-12 Veteran

The fob you have with you when you set it as #1, should become #1. The number on the key does not matter.
Lyons16 (10-31-2015)
Old 10-30-2015, 09:12 PM
tubajim
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by stevedun
The fob you have with you when you set it as #1, should become #1. The number on the key does not matter.
Take your key to the car. Set the seat to some way out of whack setting, save it to THIS key, as memory #1 on the seat memory , move the seat somewhat and get out of the car and walk away.. Come back, get in and start the car. If it goes to the way-out setting, you have key #1. Mark the key. If it doesn't go to that pre-set, #1 memory, you have key #2 and mark it. Simple.
Lyons16 (10-31-2015)
Old 10-31-2015, 01:56 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,657 Likes on 6,653 Posts

Originally Posted by Lyons16
Hi,
I've been reading through all the key fob questions and I'm still a bit confused. Is there a way to tell, what key fob is #1 or #2? From what I've read, the first one you use and program for memory that is supposed to be #1. Is this correct? I've looked inside the key and both of my keys say#1, so I'm thinking that's not the correct way to tell which is 1 or 2. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Jerry
That's correct, the first one programmed becomes #1. About a year ago a forum poster broke the code on the numbers found on the removable key (would have been foolish for GM to put the number there as they can be switched!)
To support that postulate for a forum thread where some were insisting that is what they were since their FOB's were "correctly marked," I validated with the Chevy folks who monitor the forum that the number has nothing to do with the FOB number.
It's speculated the #'s are probably placed in a two cavity forging die! Some of us have two 1's, some two 2's and if the logic is correct 50% have a 1 and a 2. However half of those are randomly the correct matching number and half are not! You can ponder the probabilities!

Last edited by JerryU; 10-31-2015 at 07:57 AM.
Lyons16 (10-31-2015)
Old 10-31-2015, 09:24 AM
Lyons16
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Thanks for all your help. I changed my key fob and it came up on the DIC as I believe it said memory 1 or something or the sort. All is working!!

Thanks, Jerry
Old 10-31-2015, 10:48 AM
defaria
Safety Car

Received 1,203 Likes on 732 Posts

Originally Posted by JerryU
That's correct, the first one programmed becomes #1. About a year ago a forum poster broke the code on the numbers found on the removable key (would have been foolish for GM to put the number there as they can be switched!)
To support that postulate for a forum thread where some were insisting that is what they were since their FOB's were "correctly marked," I validated with the Chevy folks who monitor the forum that the number has nothing to do with the FOB number.
It's speculated the #'s are probably placed in a two cavity forging die! Some of us have two 1's, some two 2's and if the logic is correct 50% have a 1 and a 2. However half of those are randomly the correct matching number and half are not! You can ponder the probabilities!
This doesn't make any sense as if true, why produce a fob with a #2 on it at all? And why not a #3 or #44 or whatever?

I have a #1 and a #2. My #1 is #1 and my #2 is #2. I don't use #2. No need.
Glen e (10-31-2015)
Old 10-31-2015, 11:33 AM
HalfMoon
Melting Slicks

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by defaria
This doesn't make any sense as if true, why produce a fob with a #2 on it at all? And why not a #3 or #44 or whatever?

I think it just depends on what keys they assigned to your car at production time and the order they are programmed.

My '14 Z51 had two #1 keys. My '16 Z06 just arrived at the rail yard in Milpitas, so sometime next week I'll look and see what numbers are on those keys.

I do know that on my C6 the #1 key was damaged with cracked plastic when we opened the envelope and had to order another #1 key. All fine, but the programming sequence was messed up by the service guy and #2 acted like memory #1, the new #1 key worked as memory 2, and the old damaged key #1 still worked. He had to spend another 45 minutes or so doing the registration process to end up wiping the old key and making #1 and #2 work correctly.
Old 10-31-2015, 11:56 AM
freddieg
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 22 Posts

Hi,

Thanks, Jerry
Once I programmed my key I used a clear label printer to put 1 and 2. My 18 daughter has totally way different settings than I do, first couple times I used her key I thought the reverse mirrors were malfunctioning!She had programmed the spare key before I figured it out.
Old 10-31-2015, 12:14 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by freddieg
Once I programmed my key I used a clear label printer to put 1 and 2. My 18 daughter has totally way different settings than I do, first couple times I used her key I thought the reverse mirrors were malfunctioning!She had programmed the spare key before I figured it out.
Better solution IMO, colored silicone covers. Or if an automatic and hard to find (they do come in black for a Cadillac which a poster said fit fine for an automatic Vette) then use a different item on the key ring. Also prevents the removable key from coming out unexpectedly.FWIW

Silicone Key Fob Cover Holds Removable Key on to FOB. Mine Came Lose in My Pocket and a Forum Posted Reported Loosing Their FOB! If It's on a Key Rig with Other Items, Not Hard to Occur. Comes Out Much Easier Than My C6 FOB>
Old 10-31-2015, 12:43 PM
freddieg
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 22 Posts

^^^^ Don't think that would work for me. I take the top down when approaching my convertible all the time and button on the FOB is very sensitive. For a coupe looks like a good solution.

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 10-31-2015 at 06:29 PM.
Old 10-31-2015, 03:25 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Don't think that would work for me. I take the top down when approaching my convertible all the time and button on the FOB is very sensitive. For a coupe looks like a good solution.
Understand. Those with more buttons like automatics and verts don't have as many choices.
Old 11-01-2015, 09:57 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Hi,
I've looked inside the key and both of my keys say#1, so I'm thinking that's not the correct way to tell which is 1 or 2. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Jerry
I also have two 1’s. As you note that provides the perspective that the numbers are meaningless! However 25% of Vette owners have correctly numbered 1 & 2 FOBs and believe we just have a manufacturing error! NOT TRUE, I’ll explain:
This issue has been rasied since the C7 was produced and was only resolved by a poster about a year ago! He speculated they were numbers placed in a two cavity die! I recently had that validated by Chevy Customer Service who asked “their sources” who validated they were placed there by a vendor and not requested by GM and do not refer to the FOB number!
The vendor apparently has a two cavity forging die for the blank key. Probably for QA purposes they put a 1 and 2 in the cavities. These blank keys are put in containers before they are cut then put in pairs in FOBs. Then randomly 25% of Vette owners have two ones (like you and I,) 25% have two twos and 50% have a 1 and a 2. But only half of those with 1 & 2 would by chance be correct based on which was programmed first! The 25% who have incorrectly labeled 1 & 2 FOBs, just need to switch movable keys and their FOBs would be correctly numbered! The rest of us need to use different colored FOB covers or identifying items on a key ring!
Jerry U

Last edited by JerryU; 11-01-2015 at 11:38 PM.
Old 11-02-2015, 09:44 PM
meyerweb
Safety Car

Received 483 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by defaria

Coincidence and luck. What Jerry wrote is correct. Many of us have two keys with the same number.
JerryU (11-03-2015)
Old 11-02-2015, 09:46 PM
meyerweb
Safety Car

Received 483 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by JerryU
Better solution IMO, colored silicone covers. Or if an automatic and hard to find (they do come in black for a Cadillac which a poster said fit fine for an automatic Vette) then use a different item on the key ring. Also prevents the removable key from coming out unexpectedly.FWIW
My #1 fob has a house key hanging off it, my #2 fob doesn't. Easy to tell them apart.

^^^^ Don't think that would work for me. I take the top down when approaching my convertible all the time and button on the FOB is very sensitive. For a coupe looks like a good solution.
There are covers with the right openings for 'verts. I've seen them on either Amazon or ebay, or maybe both.

Last edited by meyerweb; 11-02-2015 at 09:47 PM.
Old 11-03-2015, 03:37 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by meyerweb
Coincidence and luck. What Jerry wrote is correct. Many of us have two keys with the same number.
Once thought if the vendor labeled the mold cavities A & B it would have stopped a lot of forum Threads! However thought better of it and those with an A & B with the A matching their #1 FOB, would say they broke the code. But those with an A & B who had a B that matched FOB #1 would think those folks were crazy as they have the right code! The half of us with matched letters would think those Bletchley Park code breakers were both crazy!

Last edited by JerryU; 11-03-2015 at 03:39 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Key Fob #1?

Quick Reply: Key Fob #1?