Sponsored by:

Call from GM Customer Service about full synthetic Mobil 1

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2015, 09:05 AM
janicept
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Call from GM Customer Service about full synthetic Mobil 1

I just had my oil changed for the third time at the dealer about two weeks and was wondering why my fuel efficiency was not as good as the C6. I thought they were putting full synthetic in it but when I asked they said only semi synthetic is required by GM. After looking on the forum I could see they were not up to date on the info so I emailed the dealer about the forum and GM. The dealer emailed back and said they are only required to put semi synthetic.

Just today a lady from GM customer service called and said if I ask for Mobil 1 full synthetic that's what I should get at no extra charge. I mentioned that others on the forum had been charged and the money was refunded by GM. She said she would refund any additional payments I had made for full synthetic but I had not paid anything since I didn't realize they weren't using it. She said she was also going to contact the dealer to get this straightened out. It did seem like she was saying that I do have to request Mobil 1 full synthetic in order to ensure I get it. At least my last free oil change will be with the good stuff.
The following users liked this post:
red1996lt4 (10-15-2015)
Old 10-15-2015, 10:29 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,931 Likes on 4,811 Posts

Confusing issue, seems to be dependent on how up to date the dealer is with oil changes on the C7.
Nice that GM Rep got back to you and did some followup. Sounds like you are all set for your final free oil change.
Old 10-15-2015, 10:37 AM
rmorin1249
Le Mans Master

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,174 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16,'18

At least it is encouraging to hear that GM is finally checking up to see if their dealers are following the guidance that has been out for many months. I called one of my local dealers, not the one I bought the car from, and asked what kind of oil they use for C7s. The service manager got right back to me and said only Mobil1. I immediately told him he has a new customer.
The following users liked this post:
funx600 (10-15-2015)
Old 10-15-2015, 10:52 AM
\Boost Monkey/
Melting Slicks

Received 774 Likes on 417 Posts

Did you look at your service paperwork after the changes? They state the oil type used. Mobile 1 will say "Mobil 1" on the service order. If it doesn't, it was the bulk semi.
Old 10-15-2015, 12:01 PM
BrittHealey
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by janicept
I just had my oil changed for the third time at the dealer about two weeks and was wondering why my fuel efficiency was not as good as the C6. I thought they were putting full synthetic in it but when I asked they said only semi synthetic is required by GM. After looking on the forum I could see they were not up to date on the info so I emailed the dealer about the forum and GM. The dealer emailed back and said they are only required to put semi synthetic.

Just today a lady from GM customer service called and said if I ask for Mobil 1 full synthetic that's what I should get at no extra charge. I mentioned that others on the forum had been charged and the money was refunded by GM. She said she would refund any additional payments I had made for full synthetic but I had not paid anything since I didn't realize they weren't using it. She said she was also going to contact the dealer to get this straightened out. It did seem like she was saying that I do have to request Mobil 1 full synthetic in order to ensure I get it. At least my last free oil change will be with the good stuff.
The GM part number is 12345885.
Old 10-15-2015, 01:10 PM
SCorvette08
Pro

Received 105 Likes on 52 Posts

Funny that US"" forum Members and corvette owners No more than a Dealership Scary!
Old 10-15-2015, 01:30 PM
janicept
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SCorvette08
Funny that US"" forum Members and corvette owners No more than a Dealership Scary!
It seems like most dealers own Vettes and I bet they don't use bulk semi
Old 10-15-2015, 01:30 PM
SharkGrayStingray
Drifting

Received 185 Likes on 129 Posts

This is why, even though i get 4 free oil changes, I spend $40 and do it myself... I know it's done right. (i know not everyone can do that, just saying what i do)
Old 10-15-2015, 02:41 PM
mikez06
Burning Brakes

Received 171 Likes on 130 Posts

I was advised by Customer Care when I first got my 2015 C7 (11/2015) to be proactive: ( I received a call from them after the MOBIL 1 ONLY posts, they asked me for my number and details )

1) Call for an appt. with the service advisor/manager to make appt. with ONLY Corvette Technician.
2) Request ONLY MOBIL 1.

Found out on this forum about the overfilling and Z51 500 mile break in oil change, so requested the Corvette Tech fill with ONLY 9 quarts, give me the other quart.
No problems, and have not had to add one ounce of additional MOBIL 1 since April, 5000 miles later.
ONLY the Corvette Tech touched my C7, he has a 2014 C7 himself.

janicept--one has to be proactive, cannot '***'ume anything.
Most of the info I'd never have known without this forum.
Old 10-15-2015, 04:07 PM
360Lemans
Burning Brakes

Received 220 Likes on 158 Posts

I just had my oil changed for the third time at the dealer about two weeks and was wondering why my fuel efficiency was not as good as the C6. I thought they were putting full synthetic in it but when I asked they said only semi synthetic is required by GM. .
The fuel mileage difference is from your foot enjoying the C7!! Defiantly not from GMs bulk version of Mobile 1.
Old 10-15-2015, 05:48 PM
vettman96
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

I fail to understand why GM and the dealerships have so much confusion and lack of communications over something as simple and basic as a freeking oil change.

How hard can it be to get everyone on the same page?
Old 10-15-2015, 07:11 PM
gbjerke
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 20 Posts

This has been addressed before but I am amazed as to lack of communication between GM and their dealers. Chev's position is that Mobil 1 is what is to be used.
Refer your dealer to Chevrolet Complete Care Program, Global Connect message G_0000205212 OR G_0000208346.
My first oil change was at a local dealer. (Did not buy there as they had no allocations for Z51). Told them Mobil 1 and 9 quarts rather than the 9.8 suggested. They told me I'd have to pay for the upcharge and, get this, their comment, "There is no GM car that takes 9.8 quarts of oil". When done, I paid the upcharge, and they told me my car took 10 quarts to fill!!! A week later this dealer called me and advised Chev had reimbursed them for the Mobil 1 and they would issue a credit on my CC. Next oil change went to a different dealer about 20 miles away. They sold more than local so thought they would be up to date. Service guy told me I would get the Dexos blend. DAMN....another arguement. Says he was bound by what the oil cap said...DEXOS. Told him to check with Chev per above messages. Got the Mobil 1.
Point is obvious....a gross lack of communication between Chev/dealers.
Don't know whether to laugh or cry.
Old 10-15-2015, 07:12 PM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,291 Likes on 1,400 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by 360Lemans
The fuel mileage difference is from your foot enjoying the C7!! Defiantly not from GMs bulk version of Mobile 1.
This. You won't notice any difference in fuel mileage between full and semi synthetic if everything else is equal.
Old 10-15-2015, 08:31 PM
Jim Barker
Burning Brakes

Received 60 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by rmorin1249
At least it is encouraging to hear that GM is finally checking up to see if their dealers are following the guidance that has been out for many months. I called one of my local dealers, not the one I bought the car from, and asked what kind of oil they use for C7s. The service manager got right back to me and said only Mobil1. I immediately told him he has a new customer.
Now ask him if they torque the wheels on rotations?
Old 10-15-2015, 08:40 PM
Jim Barker
Burning Brakes

Received 60 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by vettman96
I fail to understand why GM and the dealerships have so much confusion and lack of communications over something as simple and basic as a freeking oil change.

How hard can it be to get everyone on the same page?
Talking to the chief engineer @ Bowling Green back when the C5 was first introduced because of all these type of issues, got this response: It is not our priority to improve the mechanics because of the turn over. Instead we want to build a trouble free car that will last 100k miles plus!
Old 10-16-2015, 12:36 PM
INTHERED
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim Barker
Now ask him if they torque the wheels on rotations?
I do not plan on rotating my wheels since every tire guy that I have ever talked to warned me that the belts in the tires get aligned when rotating and that the tires could be damaged if they were rotated in a different direction due to rotation.
Old 10-16-2015, 01:10 PM
bbcb
Burning Brakes

Received 86 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by SharkGrayStingray
This is why, even though i get 4 free oil changes, I spend $40 and do it myself... I know it's done right. (i know not everyone can do that, just saying what i do)
agree 100% .. I will be going to my own guy to have the oil changed ...do not want to risk the headaches ....not worth it ...

wonder if the dealer would just give me the new filters and the Mobile 1
and let me do it myself ...or how about a credit ....

Get notified of new replies

To Call from GM Customer Service about full synthetic Mobil 1

Old 10-16-2015, 06:27 PM
meyerweb
Safety Car

Received 483 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by INTHERED
I do not plan on rotating my wheels since every tire guy that I have ever talked to warned me that the belts in the tires get aligned when rotating and that the tires could be damaged if they were rotated in a different direction due to rotation.
Which is wire the company that actually makes the tires recommends the rotation.....

I suspect Michelin knows a little more about their tires than the tire monkey at Mr. Discount Auto Tire and Battery.
Old 10-16-2015, 10:32 PM
Rossi6998
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by SharkGrayStingray
Exactly...
Old 10-16-2015, 10:42 PM
AmmoVet
Melting Slicks

Received 348 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by BrittHealey
The GM part number is 12345885.
Had my first one today, just checked the pn and it match's what you say. It also says 8.8 so I assume that is 8.8 and the correct amount. Picked it up Monday and had 817 miles this morning.

Quick Reply: Call from GM Customer Service about full synthetic Mobil 1