C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why couldn't Chevrolet install MGW shifters at BG?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2015, 01:06 AM
FRC_1
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Why couldn't Chevrolet install MGW shifters at BG?

Seriously fellas, I just installed my MGW and it completely changed the feel of the car and the drivability. Best mod I have on the car. The junk I pulled out was very inferior to the MGW shifter and box I put in. I would have paid an extra $500 for Chevy to do this for me when the car was built. Seems what was in there was "just good enough".
The following users liked this post:
digbyamb (09-26-2015)
Old 09-26-2015, 08:16 AM
C7-Beast
Safety Car

Received 331 Likes on 201 Posts

I have had MGW's on multiple cars over the years and I think they are amazing.

Others I have let drive my car say the MGW requires too much effort. I'm really used to it and find the positive bolt-action feel to my liking. No more missing 3rd.

The stock C7 box and shifter are identical to the C6. I had both side by side and they are the exact same.

Many who drive C7 M7's may like the feel of the factory shifter. Many don't know of the MGW and many don't want to change from stock.

The only part of the MGW I wish was different is the open shift box design. It has no back so MGW requires you put a few pieces of insulation under the shift box. Most likely because with a bottom of the shift box being open, it is more susceptible to heat. A solid box would be more ideal but there very well may be a very good reason for the way it was built.
Old 09-26-2015, 08:28 AM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

Cost. Every car would cost more and many are happy with the current unit.
Old 09-26-2015, 11:04 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,931 Likes on 4,811 Posts

I think you have part of the answer and that is what is in there is good enough and of couse as Larry/Car states cost.
Old 09-26-2015, 11:24 AM
digbyamb
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by FRC_1
Seriously fellas, I just installed my MGW and it completely changed the feel of the car and the drivability. Best mod I have on the car. The junk I pulled out was very inferior to the MGW shifter and box I put in. I would have paid an extra $500 for Chevy to do this for me when the car was built. Seems what was in there was "just good enough".

Best mod I have had done, I now have 3000 miles on my MGW shiftier installed in my C7 Z51 M7...... I love it!
Old 09-26-2015, 02:08 PM
defaria
Safety Car

Received 1,203 Likes on 732 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry/car
Cost. Every car would cost more and many are happy with the current unit.
How exactly would it be cost for everybody if it were simply made an option?
Old 09-26-2015, 05:39 PM
coupeguyz51
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 107 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by digbyamb

Best mod I have had done, I now have 3000 miles on my MGW shiftier installed in my C7 Z51 M7...... I love it!

Way better than stock...wouldn't be surprised if GM had ownership interests in a lot of aftermarket companies...would be the smart play...
Old 09-27-2015, 01:00 AM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,923 Likes on 1,365 Posts

If GM thinks they could make money on it by selling enough of them and the cost is low enough, they can do it. They had Hurst shifters in the past. They have Brembo brakes now.

It would have to pass durability and safety requirements. It also sounds like it needs some more engineering if you have to add pieces of insulation.

Michael
Old 09-27-2015, 02:41 PM
fsvoboda
Melting Slicks

Received 795 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by FRC_1
MGW's price is $390 or $360 on their web site, so your time plus their price is probably the equivalent of paying $500 to the factory. However, the wholesale price to GM would have to be a good deal under $390 or $360 to work out to a sticker price of $500.

While nice, Corvettes are mass produced items, and each added option adds complexity to the whole assembly/supply process. It's simpler to do your own customization, I think.
Old 09-27-2015, 02:44 PM
Steve Garrett
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7,753 Likes on 4,182 Posts
CORVETTE TODAY Host
St. Jude Donor'15

.....they wanted to throw a bone to the aftermarket guys??????
Old 09-28-2015, 01:20 AM
amphora001
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Do you have any photos of the shifter you want to share? Any thoughts on getting the shifter but use a different shift ****?
Old 09-28-2015, 07:07 AM
mksz51
Safety Car

Received 156 Likes on 95 Posts

Way too many people would complain about the "high shift effort". There are a lot of old guys who buy Vettes......
Old 09-28-2015, 03:09 PM
meyerweb
Safety Car

Received 483 Likes on 320 Posts

MGW might not have the production capacity to meet the demand if it were a factory option. Also, to be a supplier to a big company like GM requires a lot more than just building parts. They might need to spend a year's worth of revenue on lawyers to review the contract, factory upgrades and staff increases to satisfy GM's supplier processes and QC/QA standards, accountants, and on and on.
Old 09-28-2015, 03:24 PM
johnnypro
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

I actually don't like how the MGW shifter looks. The huge 8 ball looks kind of bizarre to me.

With that said, I don't mind the stock shifter, and have never missed a gear after maybe 500 miles. I wish I had a friend with one though, because I would love to see what the difference actually is!

So many people claim that the difference between the MGW and the stock shifter are like night and day. It's easy to say, but hard for me to determine what that actually means on just words alone. Wish they had em at Best Buy or something so I could try it out.
Old 09-28-2015, 03:42 PM
ratman6161
Pro

Received 121 Likes on 58 Posts

Yesterday I watched the how-to video one of the other brands had posted showing how to install their shifter. I have to say that even though I am not much of a wrench turner it looked like something I could probably do myself if I were so inclined. Or, its easy enough that even if you were paying someone to do it, it wouldn't cost that much.

What I'm getting at is that knowing the prices Chevy charges for options, it seems pretty likely that an owner could get this done cheaper in the after market. Also, there are other options besides the MGW so going after market also gives more options than they would offer.

Just a thought...

Edit: Here it is. See post #26 on page 2 https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-it-out-2.html

Last edited by ratman6161; 09-28-2015 at 03:48 PM.
Old 09-28-2015, 03:50 PM
johnnypro
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

I've never used an aftermarket shifter. Can anyone who has actually explain in detail what the difference usually is?

My understanding just seems to be that because it takes more force to shift, it prevents people from shifting with minimal force into the wrong gear. In what objective manner is it "better?"
Old 09-28-2015, 03:56 PM
defaria
Safety Car

Originally Posted by meyerweb
MGW might not have the production capacity to meet the demand if it were a factory option. Also, to be a supplier to a big company like GM requires a lot more than just building parts. They might need to spend a year's worth of revenue on lawyers to review the contract, factory upgrades and staff increases to satisfy GM's supplier processes and QC/QA standards, accountants, and on and on.
I highly doubt this would be the case. Show me a business who will not enter a lucrative deal where money was to be made because of such reasons as you cite above and I'll show you a business that will soon be bankrupt!

Get notified of new replies

To Why couldn't Chevrolet install MGW shifters at BG?

Old 09-29-2015, 09:52 AM
meyerweb
Safety Car

Received 483 Likes on 320 Posts

It's harder than you think, defairia. Ever work in a small business trying to grow very rapidly? That's when a lot of them fail.
Old 09-29-2015, 10:03 AM
thrilled
Safety Car

Received 618 Likes on 455 Posts

Have seen videos of MGW in action.Have also seen video's of other after market shifters.
MGW isn't A shorter throw than the others.The stock shifter isn't as bad as people say that
It is.At least mine isn't.
Before you purchase just look at all the video's of the other shifters.
Old 09-29-2015, 10:04 AM
defaria
Safety Car

I am a small business trying to grow rapidly. Hard was not the issue. Sure it's hard. But I'm sure they would do it if given the chance.

Quick Reply: Why couldn't Chevrolet install MGW shifters at BG?