Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No-Tune Active Fuel Management Disabler Available at CULTRAG Performance

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2016, 03:37 AM
cello002
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just have a little worry now, anyone used AFM Disabler has any defect or side-effect to the car, cause any damage to the engine or systerm?Thanks to all.
Old 01-05-2016, 08:39 AM
Flame Red
Le Mans Master

Received 1,089 Likes on 658 Posts

Originally Posted by cello002
I just have a little worry now, anyone used AFM Disabler has any defect or side-effect to the car, cause any damage to the engine or systerm?Thanks to all.
I have one installed.

For some reason, when I first plugged it in, I started the car and the check engine light came on and a whole bunch of error messages came up on the dash. My code reader had like 6 codes. I cleared them and they never (yet) have returned. Never happened again.

One time I forgot to plug in the battery tender and the battery was dead a week later, but that is well documented.

Supposedly it messes up your OnStar monthly health report, but the last one I got did not seem to have a problem.

Other than that, it works as advertised.
Old 01-06-2016, 02:28 PM
cello002
Advanced

Originally Posted by Flame Red
I have one installed.

For some reason, when I first plugged it in, I started the car and the check engine light came on and a whole bunch of error messages came up on the dash. My code reader had like 6 codes. I cleared them and they never (yet) have returned. Never happened again.

One time I forgot to plug in the battery tender and the battery was dead a week later, but that is well documented.

Supposedly it messes up your OnStar monthly health report, but the last one I got did not seem to have a problem.

Other than that, it works as advertised.
Thanks.
Old 01-06-2016, 04:05 PM
only9balls
Burning Brakes

Received 192 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by c5eddiem
Has anyone attempted to find out which of the 16 wires in the extender is the "power feed"?

If a switch was spliced into that wire, the unit could be switched on and off and left tucked up under the dash all the time.

Just wondering....

Ed
Maybe like this one? (I haven't actually tried it... just found it and thought I would share).

Amazon.com: Tonsiki OBD 2 Cord 16 pin M/F Male to Female Right Angle Diagnostic Extension Cable with Power Switch to avoid battery drain: Automotive Amazon.com: Tonsiki OBD 2 Cord 16 pin M/F Male to Female Right Angle Diagnostic Extension Cable with Power Switch to avoid battery drain: Automotive

Last edited by only9balls; 01-06-2016 at 04:10 PM.
Old 01-07-2016, 02:31 AM
cello002
Advanced

Originally Posted by only9balls
Good, woder it could be shorter...
Old 01-08-2016, 09:27 PM
Maxie2U
Le Mans Master

Received 4,225 Likes on 2,273 Posts

Originally Posted by Dif
I have the Bottom one in the picture and it is less intrusive.
When it's plugged in, the cord points toward the door, which at first I thought was going to be a problem.
But, you can bend the cord in towards the foot well and tuck it up under and through a group of bundled wires "under" the dash, right up against the left side of the foot well and out of the way.

The top one in the picture when plugged in, points Straight out at you and the PLUG Body is Longer and sticks out Farther towards you.
It will work ok and can be bent under the dash like the other one but not as neatly.
Being that it points Straight out at you, the cord now needs to be bent in a U shape to tuck it under the dash.
That makes it stick out even more towards you since the Plug body is also stick out further being longer.
In contrast the one I have ( Bottom one in the picture ) the Plug Body is a lot shorter and the cord only needs to bend 90 degrees to be out of sight
I bought the cable you recommended and glad I did. I easily tucks out of the way under the dash.

I appreciate your guidance.
Old 01-09-2016, 12:08 AM
Dif
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 716 Likes on 436 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxie2U
I bought the cable you recommended and glad I did. I easily tucks out of the way under the dash.

I appreciate your guidance.
You're Welcome
Old 01-10-2016, 11:29 PM
patrickt
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 50 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Dif
You're Welcome
That does look a nice cable that would work well for this

Thanks for posting
Order Your GM Parts at www.CULTRAGfactoryparts.com
patrick@cultragperformance.com
1-484-334-8833
The following users liked this post:
Dif (01-11-2016)
Old 01-27-2016, 09:46 PM
Maxie2U
Le Mans Master

I recently purchased the Range Technology Active Fuel Management Disabler Device. After entering the car I turned on the accessories to allow the car to boot up. I then turned the car off, opened the door, and waited for the car to go into sleep mode (off). I then plugged the Range Technology Active Fuel Management Disable Device into OBD port. After plugging it in the blue LEDs cycled then stopped flashing after which only one blue LED remained on.

I started the car and noticed two LEDS were now on (see pic). I took a long drive down the highway in touring mode with the transmission set to "D". The car never switched to 4 cylinder mode so it appears to be working as advertised.

One side note, after stopping at a rest stop before I turned the car off I noticed that all four LEDs were on. Not sure why it changed from two LEDs on when I first started out to all four LEDs being on?

Last edited by Maxie2U; 01-27-2016 at 09:49 PM.
Old 01-31-2016, 10:06 AM
patrickt
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 50 Likes on 49 Posts

I recently purchased the Range Technology Active Fuel Management Disabler Device. After entering the car I turned on the accessories to allow the car to boot up. I then turned the car off, opened the door, and waited for the car to go into sleep mode (off). I then plugged the Range Technology Active Fuel Management Disable Device into OBD port. After plugging it in the blue LEDs cycled then stopped flashing after which only one blue LED remained on.

I started the car and noticed two LEDS were now on (see pic). I took a long drive down the highway in touring mode with the transmission set to "D". The car never switched to 4 cylinder mode so it appears to be working as advertised.

One side note, after stopping at a rest stop before I turned the car off I noticed that all four LEDs were on. Not sure why it changed from two LEDs on when I first started out to all four LEDs being on?
Here is what the lights mean

On the latest AFM DISABLER Modules, the four blue lights are basically to indicate the unit is operating. They are as follows:
•LED #1 - Power is ON and unit is AWAKE and vehicle is ready for commands
•LED #2 - RPM > 500 and Engine is Running
•LED #3 - Vehicle speed is above the minimum necessary for Range to start taking control (about 9 MPH). This also indicates things like engine coolant temp and oil pressure are nominal for operation.
•LED #4 - In active command mode and controlling the AFM

The LEDs are numbered FROM RIGHT TO LEFT as you see them when plugged into the OBD2 port.
Old 02-09-2016, 03:09 PM
only9balls
Burning Brakes

So I picked one of these up, and it works perfectly! I also noticed in the instructions that it has a sleep mode, wherein the power shuts off after a certain amount of time (and all LED's go out). So, I'm not sure if this is a new feature, or newer model, but it seems like leaving it in the car may not be an issue any longer. I will find out this weekend for sure, since I have left mine in for the week, and won't be driving it.
Old 02-09-2016, 07:50 PM
Maxie2U
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by only9balls
So I picked one of these up, and it works perfectly! I also noticed in the instructions that it has a sleep mode, wherein the power shuts off after a certain amount of time (and all LED's go out). So, I'm not sure if this is a new feature, or newer model, but it seems like leaving it in the car may not be an issue any longer. I will find out this weekend for sure, since I have left mine in for the week, and won't be driving it.

I recently purchased the AFM Disabler but the my instructions said nothing about a sleep mode so I am very interested to find out if it does or does not drain your battery after a week or so.
Old 02-13-2016, 02:05 AM
only9balls
Burning Brakes

I recently purchased the AFM Disabler but the my instructions said nothing about a sleep mode so I am very interested to find out if it does or does not drain your battery after a week or so.
So it would seem my battery had an unusually low charge after sitting in the garage for four days (turned over very slow)... so I think it may be pulling some power still (must be a fair amount to drain a car battery that fast!). I had already bought one of those cables with the power switch in it (pictured above), so I will try it out, and see if it functions normally and actually shuts off the power.

Quick Reply: No-Tune Active Fuel Management Disabler Available at CULTRAG Performance