Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Total stranger keyed my car yesterday!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2015, 07:51 PM
Kalimino
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Total stranger keyed my car yesterday!!

I've heard of it happening to others and it has been a fear of mine since I bought this car. I'm always careful of where I park and try to sit near a window to keep an eye out when possible.

The most frustrating part was I watched it all unfold, knew what was fixing to happen and couldn't get outside quick enough to prevent it. Had I been thinking clearly I would have hit the panic button on remote.

I pulled into a restaurant to grab a bite, parked in front, facing glass windows and was seated at a table that I could keep an eye on(and admire) my car. Witnessed a lowlife approaching from the rear that started digging in his bag for something. I've watched a lot of people pull out cameras and phones to snap photos but this guy was different and I knew he was up to no good. Enough so that I jumped up with burger in one hand and started for the door. As i was walking out the door and into the parking lot we passed and locked eyes. That was his chance to run as the look I gave him could have melted candle wax but he just calmly continued walking away. Walking quickly to the rear of my car to verify what I had feared had happened, yep 4 foot double key marks across rear.

I quickly scrolled through all those dark and dreadful things I would do to someone that I had just caught keying my car. Seething with anger and using every ounce of restraint I immediately detained him and called the police. Within 8 minutes he was handcuffed in the back of a squad car.

Total stranger around 17 years old with no motive nor excuse given when questioned. Started out with denial until I told him I watched him do it from inside the restaurant.

I haven't gone in for an estimate just yet. It's hard to capture with pictures but in places its deep enough to feel with a fingernail. So we'll get her repainted or buffed and trade up for a Z06.
Old 09-18-2015, 07:57 PM
mikez06
Burning Brakes

Received 171 Likes on 130 Posts

All of our worst fears, so sorry this happened to you.
Glad the perp was apprehended, throw the book at him.
Hope the repair is quick and non-stressful.
Old 09-18-2015, 08:03 PM
sdk
Drifting

Received 73 Likes on 38 Posts

I'm glad he got caught. Maybe he will think twice before doing something stupid like that again.
Let us know when you get the Z06!!!
Old 09-18-2015, 08:09 PM
Jud Chapin
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 417 Likes on 288 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Sorry to hear this but glad you got him. Good luck with the repair.
Old 09-18-2015, 08:10 PM
proexpert
Melting Slicks

Received 384 Likes on 237 Posts

People suck. Where did this happen, what state?
Old 09-18-2015, 08:16 PM
fstfun2009
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 5 Posts

Shudda shot him
Old 09-18-2015, 08:41 PM
W88fixer
Melting Slicks

Received 72 Likes on 43 Posts

Glad you got him. A bit surprised the cop actually arrested him but for your sake pleased. Don
Old 09-18-2015, 08:44 PM
rmorin1249
Le Mans Master

Received 1,739 Likes on 1,175 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16,'18

He likely will get off with a slap on the wrist. Should get 500 hours working in a car wash in the dead of winter in upstate NY.
The following users liked this post:
probono (09-20-2015)
Old 09-18-2015, 08:51 PM
AmmoVet
Melting Slicks

Received 348 Likes on 244 Posts

He should have tripped over a curb before the cops arrived!
The following 2 users liked this post by AmmoVet:
j43w1 (09-19-2015), patriotpa (09-19-2015)
Old 09-18-2015, 08:55 PM
Joy c7
Drifting

Received 321 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by ammo
he should have tripped over a curb before the cops arrived!
+11111111111
Old 09-18-2015, 09:02 PM
golden2husky
Burning Brakes

Received 293 Likes on 193 Posts

Glad you got the guy. I really don't know what makes people do crap like this. Suffice to say stuff like this makes me like my dog better than most people. You have to make a choice in situations like this. You can detain them, call the police, and hope you can get some restitution out of them. If they are a loser you may end up with nothing. Or you even the score with violence. Never do both. In college we came out to my roomate's car and found a dirtbag ripping the stereo out of the dash. Ripping being the operative word. He was a local drifter with nothing to lose so we figured we would treat him to something he would not forget. We held him down and parked the front tire on his hand and called the police. 10 minutes later the police showed up and wanted to arrest us! If it wasn't for the miscreant's long rap sheet we would have ended up with one! Luckily the cop cut us a break. Little did we know at the time there was a small stone under his hand...bet that hurt the dirtbag!! Being an adult today I hope I never end up in this position again.
Old 09-18-2015, 09:13 PM
LouieM
Race Director

Received 3,052 Likes on 1,255 Posts

Originally Posted by Kalimino
I haven't gone in for an estimate just yet. It's hard to capture with pictures but in places its deep enough to feel with a fingernail. So we'll get her repainted or buffed and trade up for a Z06.
A good body shop will fix it like it was never there.
Old 09-18-2015, 09:21 PM
BenCasey
Burning Brakes

Received 268 Likes on 188 Posts

Sorry to hear that Kalimino! No one deserves that.

This is also a good reminder that jealousy exists and that people can be dicks.

I remember a few years ago, in San Francisco, seeing a brand new c class Benz, after the new body change. I was admiring it (sharp looking cars) and when I turned the corner to really soak it in, I noticed that some piece of **** had kicked over all of the newspaper bins onto the car. The car had about a dozen dents with deep scratches all along the length.

Brand new car, the very first c class I had seen. And it's not like the c class is a rich mans car, it's not like this scumbag gave it to the man.

**** happens, and sometimes we pay the '**** happens' life tax. Sorry it caught up to you.
Old 09-18-2015, 09:35 PM
Babaron
Burning Brakes

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts

Kudos to you for being vigilant and catching him.
Old 09-18-2015, 10:02 PM
Maxie2U
Le Mans Master

Received 4,228 Likes on 2,275 Posts

Originally Posted by Kalimino
I've heard of it happening to others and it has been a fear of mine since I bought this car. I'm always careful of where I park and try to sit near a window to keep an eye out when possible.

The most frustrating part was I watched it all unfold, knew what was fixing to happen and couldn't get outside quick enough to prevent it. Had I been thinking clearly I would have hit the panic button on remote.

I pulled into a restaurant to grab a bite, parked in front, facing glass windows and was seated at a table that I could keep an eye on(and admire) my car. Witnessed a lowlife approaching from the rear that started digging in his bag for something. I've watched a lot of people pull out cameras and phones to snap photos but this guy was different and I knew he was up to no good. Enough so that I jumped up with burger in one hand and started for the door. As i was walking out the door and into the parking lot we passed and locked eyes. That was his chance to run as the look I gave him could have melted candle wax but he just calmly continued walking away. Walking quickly to the rear of my car to verify what I had feared had happened, yep 4 foot double key marks across rear.

I quickly scrolled through all those dark and dreadful things I would do to someone that I had just caught keying my car. Seething with anger and using every ounce of restraint I immediately detained him and called the police. Within 8 minutes he was handcuffed in the back of a squad car.

Total stranger around 17 years old with no motive nor excuse given when questioned. Started out with denial until I told him I watched him do it from inside the restaurant.

This country has raised a bunch of people who feel entitled so when they don't have what others have earned they lash out. In this case with a key!

Would love to have followed the SOB then hit him with a 2x4 or tire iron in the back of the head..Not really but one could dream.
Old 09-18-2015, 10:04 PM
alamo1974
Drifting

Received 82 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by rmorin1249
He likely will get off with a slap on the wrist. Should get 500 hours working in a car wash in the dead of winter in upstate NY.
That's all that will probably happen to the *****. He jealous that you have some thing he can't afford.
Old 09-18-2015, 10:36 PM
NSC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,100 Likes on 742 Posts

Since we outsource everything else in this country why not juvenile justice? Singapore is pretty good at the punishment business, one good cane stroke for every millimeter of damage seems like a good starting point. Alternatively I would like to see parents held responsible for treble the financial damages caused by their minor kids which would give them a pretty good incentive to act like parents.

Get notified of new replies

To Total stranger keyed my car yesterday!!

Old 09-18-2015, 10:42 PM
themonk
Team Owner

Location: Calgary, AB. There's a reason why white was the only color offered on every year Corvette. Proud Canadian German Jamaican!
Received 1,456 Likes on 799 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

You showed more restraint than I would've, if there's one thing I will not put up with it's someone messing with any of my schit, whether it be family, friends, pets or possessions, I honestly would've torn him apart (not trying to be a tough guy but something in me honestly snaps). Good luck with the repair.
Old 09-18-2015, 11:05 PM
BlueDevilZ51
Melting Slicks

Received 389 Likes on 271 Posts

Sorry to hear this but glad you got him.
Old 09-18-2015, 11:07 PM
Stentplacer
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 51 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by themonk
You showed more restraint than I would've, if there's one thing I will not put up with it's someone messing with any of my schit, whether it be family, friends, pets or possessions, I honestly would've torn him apart (not trying to be a tough guy but something in me honestly snaps). Good luck with the repair.
I'm so pissed off just reading this! Usually even dirt bags usually admire a Corvette owner....American car someone worked hard for and bought their dream car. The Ferrari and Lamborghini guys are usually the ones that people look at as the elite .....not that they would deserve something like this. That's why I quit packing a pistol. I would have been temped to shoot the a---hole! Sorry this happened to you! Damn!!

Quick Reply: Total stranger keyed my car yesterday!!