Sponsored by:

Engine being replaced

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2015, 12:49 PM
Cobraboy
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

Default Engine being replaced

Yes, my C7 is currently at the dealers getting a new engine.

The background:

Bought the 2014 Z51 C7 used from a dealer at the end of 2014; original owner bought it earlier that year, drove it 3,000 kms, then traded it in on a 2015 (lots of money, wanted the latest auto tranny). So when I bought it, it was virtually new. Put 7,000 kms on it end of 2014 and 2015 up until now. No issues with it, drove perfectly.

Driving to work a couple weeks ago I noticed it sort of accelerating/decelerating at light throttle around 70 kph. It kept coming and going. I switched the display to show when it was in 4 cyl mode and found that whenever it was in 4 cyl mode it was like the engine didn't have quite enough power and the car was decelerating a bit. Then a bit of throttle, back into 8cyl mode and it was fine. So this was going on continuously for maybe 5 minutes. It wasn't a huge difference, but I could feel that something was wrong. When I got on a street with a higher speed limit and was doing 80 - 100 kph it seemed better. It might have been just that it wasn't switching into 4 cyl mode as much, or the higher speed was masking it.

So, about another 10 minutes or so I stop at a light. Now my other car is a Prius (insert laugh here) so I am used to the engine shutting off when stopped. So my mind didn't click in right away that I wasn't in the Prius and the engine shouldn't be stopped; yes, it had stalled. I went to restart it and it cranked very, very slowly like the battery was almost dead. But when it stopped cranking the lights came on full bright as if the battery was fine. Tried it a couple more times then stopped when I smelled something burning/overheating.

I called CAA and a flat-bed took me to the dealer, which is convenient since I drive past it each day to and from work. Dropped it off and they gave me a loner car; I was surprised at that, didn't expect it. Some sort of black Caddy SUV thing.

Got a call later in the day and I asked how the patient was doing. "the patient is very sick. The starter is shot from trying to crank the engine, and the engine seems to not turn over so it is likely shot too". That's all they knew at that point. I was told that they were short-handed and it might be a little longer than normal to see what is wrong. They had handled everything very nicely so I wasn't upset at that.

Got a call from the service manager a couple days later to tell me he had ordered a new engine. The old one wasn't out yet, but it was obviously damaged internally, so a new one was coming in. He said he talked to "GM" (don't know who that means, but must be a head office) and they had no problem with the new engine. He said they would take the engine apart there to see what was wrong and I was welcome to come in at that point to see it.

A couple more days go by and the engine is out but not apart yet. The manager tells me to come in and see it anyways as it isn't often you see one with the engine out. I was surprised when I saw it that they drop the whole front cradle out, engine and suspension. It did give me a chance to see things you don't normally see. He pointed out what had just come it.....new engine sitting there! He said that GM had called to say not to take the old engine apart, just to send it to them for the tear-down and inspection. He said he would get a report from them when that was done and would let me know. The old engine will turn over, but it takes a fair bit of effort.

Anyways, that is where it stands. The car/engine had just under 10,000 kms on it. No warning lights or strange behavior up until that morning. Am I upset? Not really. Everything is being handled very well, and I get a brand new engine!

I'll keep you posted if I learn anything new.

Rick
Attached Images   
Old 09-13-2015, 01:07 PM
dmhines
Burning Brakes

Received 227 Likes on 144 Posts

Hope all goes well. I would rather have a complete factory crate engine not just a replacement long block.

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 09-13-2015 at 02:58 PM. Reason: No need to requote the OP, especially when you're the next person posting.
Old 09-13-2015, 01:19 PM
bbcb
Burning Brakes

Received 86 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by dmhines
hope all goes well. I would rather have a complete factory crate engine not just a replacement long block.
agree 100 % in fact i would have dumped the car as is ...
Old 09-13-2015, 01:48 PM
Cobraboy
Racer

Of course you would have. And walked away without a car.

And what you would "rather" have doesn't really matter. GM is going to give you what "they" want, not what "you" want.

Not much difference between a long block and a complete crate motor. All the accessories on the outside of the engine have nothing to do with whatever caused the failure, so reusing them doesn't really matter.
The following 4 users liked this post by Cobraboy:
Bob-G (09-14-2015), rtruman (10-06-2021), Scoobydoobydoo (09-13-2015), Sp00ky (09-13-2015)
Old 09-13-2015, 02:10 PM
bd377103
Instructor

Received 76 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Cobraboy

And what you would "rather" have doesn't really matter. GM is going to give you what "they" want, not what "you" want.

Not much difference between a long block and a complete crate motor. All the accessories on the outside of the engine have nothing to do with whatever caused the failure, so reusing them doesn't really matter.
Do you really think that is going back together in the same fashion as it was done at the factory?
Old 09-13-2015, 02:14 PM
Scoobydoobydoo
Drifting

Received 311 Likes on 246 Posts

Rick,

Looks like GM is doing the right thing and the Dealership is taking good care of you. I'm sure things will turn out great.
Old 09-13-2015, 03:00 PM
Steve Garrett
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7,764 Likes on 4,188 Posts
CORVETTE TODAY Host
St. Jude Donor'15

Best of luck, Cobra.
Old 09-13-2015, 03:02 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,439 Likes on 14,048 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Will be interesting to hear what GM finds out about the engine problem. Best of luck with the replacement. Sounds like you have a good dealer to work with.
Old 09-13-2015, 03:45 PM
Cobraboy
Racer

Originally Posted by bd377103
Do you really think that is going back together in the same fashion as it was done at the factory?
Better actually, since it will be hand assembled!
The following users liked this post:
Corgidog1 (10-07-2021)
Old 09-13-2015, 04:01 PM
C7DriverOnt
Pro

Received 119 Likes on 62 Posts

Defective engines are pretty common in the industry. I worked in IT and used to have Ford as a customer, walking thru their Windsor engine plant they would have at least a hundred dead engines sitting waiting to be tore down after being pulled out under warranty. These were the big Triton V8's. I had a Ford Windstar once that within a year had the V6 replaced, it chattered with engine knock and they couldn't fix it so they replaced it. Hopefully it won't be an issue with my C7 but you just never know, a new engine isn't such a bad thing
Old 09-13-2015, 04:09 PM
Skidplate
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 207 Likes on 122 Posts

Be sure to have them check the oil system for debris. If metal or other engine debris is found in the oil or oil filter, the dry sump oil system will need flushing or replacing prior to the new engine being installed.
Might want to have them flush it even if they don't find debris.

Last edited by Skidplate; 09-13-2015 at 04:12 PM. Reason: added verbage
Old 09-13-2015, 04:12 PM
bbcb
Burning Brakes

Received 86 Likes on 72 Posts

been down this road with GM years ago ...trade the car ...as is ...maybe just maybe they will give you a break ...i do wish you good luck though ...but i went down this road before ugh !!!!!!!
Old 09-13-2015, 04:29 PM
meyerweb
Safety Car

Received 483 Likes on 320 Posts

Considering the factory build failed, I hope not.

This isn't rocket science. Backyard mechanics have been replacing short / long blocks for decades. Even a dealer mechanic should be able to do this. It's not like they're going inside the block. Heck, if I had the right tools, the shop manual, and a way to lift the car and drop the engine I could probably do it.
Old 09-13-2015, 05:47 PM
Cobraboy
Racer

Originally Posted by Skidplate
Be sure to have them check the oil system for debris.
That's a good point. I'll mention it.
Old 09-13-2015, 06:48 PM
dprestidge
Burning Brakes

Received 262 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by bbcb
been down this road with GM years ago ...trade the car ...as is ...maybe just maybe they will give you a break ...i do wish you good luck though ...but i went down this road before ugh !!!!!!!
Like I said in another post, this isn't the GM or dealers of years past. My '08 Vette was the first GM car I've owned in almost 45 yrs. because of the way the tried to get out fixing anything under warranty. I am more than pleased with the service I have received at two different Chevy dealers since '08. They are still very expensive once you are out of warranty.
Old 09-13-2015, 08:50 PM
rcooper
Safety Car

Received 676 Likes on 480 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

I doubt that you will have any problems with the new engine or the install. Seems as though the dealer is on top of things and is doing all the right stuff. Wish you the best with the new engine.
Old 09-13-2015, 10:33 PM
gwalsh88
Burning Brakes

Received 804 Likes on 163 Posts

Better actually, since it will be hand assembled!

Get notified of new replies

To Engine being replaced

Old 09-14-2015, 08:33 AM
Ernest_T
Drifting

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

It's mechanical. You can put it back together just as it was--better in this case since the original engine had a malfunction.
Old 09-14-2015, 09:46 AM
cheapthrills
Melting Slicks

Received 441 Likes on 292 Posts

Best of luck and keep up the great attitude. Nice to see for a change.
Old 09-14-2015, 09:47 AM
DAFFYDRUNK
Melting Slicks

Received 289 Likes on 238 Posts

Had a thought... Pics with the cradle and engine out are kinda scary, but not as scary as pics with the dash apart. Bets of luck to the OP. As long as they do good work, it should be fine. Torque tube alignment seems to be the critical thing when you read about engine replacements.

Quick Reply: Engine being replaced