Sponsored by:

PlastiDip Advice Please

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2015, 08:22 PM
vettekat2007
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 31 Posts
Default PlastiDip Advice Please

Can PlastiDip be put on a LT1 fake leather interior part? If so, will it be able to be peeled off without damage to the original part? I want to do the cowl that comes up from the center console and wraps over the top of the instrument panel and goes down the drivers door. I would like it to be a bright red close to Adrenaline Red exterior paint. The PlastiDip I've seen all seems to be a flat or dull color, but they have something that goes on as a top layer that is supposed to make it glossy I guess. Anyone have any info on doing this?
Old 09-06-2015, 08:28 PM
Crunch527
Drifting

Received 175 Likes on 111 Posts

I have used plastic-dip on exterior trim pieces in the past...from my experience, plastic-dip is more like plasti-dip-****...no way would I used it on a C7...it isn't durable and it is hard to work with...just my experience...
Old 09-06-2015, 08:40 PM
mksz51
Safety Car

Received 156 Likes on 95 Posts

It will look cheesy and cheap. Don't do it.
Old 09-06-2015, 10:09 PM
docprego
Burning Brakes

Received 263 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by mksz51
It will look cheesy and cheap. Don't do it.
Old 09-06-2015, 10:24 PM
C7cmnthru
Burning Brakes

Received 54 Likes on 25 Posts

I wouldn't do it even if it was doable. But if you really want to do it, I suggest that you get the customer service/technical support phone number from the can and give them a call. They are the ones that really know the product and its limitations. No one on this forum is qualified to give you good advice on this.
Old 09-06-2015, 10:53 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Originally Posted by C7cmnthru
I wouldn't do it even if it was doable. But if you really want to do it, I suggest that you get the customer service/technical support phone number from the can and give them a call. They are the ones that really know the product and its limitations. No one on this forum is qualified to give you good advice on this.
Old 09-06-2015, 10:55 PM
themonk
Team Owner

Location: Calgary, AB. There's a reason why white was the only color offered on every year Corvette. Proud Canadian German Jamaican!
Received 1,456 Likes on 799 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

dip interior parts.....that's so rice.
Old 09-07-2015, 01:30 AM
Z06 1of38
Drifting

Received 677 Likes on 333 Posts

Just order that piece from gm in the factory adrenaline red. Easy to install
Old 09-07-2015, 12:52 PM
C8Jake
Race Director

Received 5,416 Likes on 2,535 Posts

Plasti Dip = hillbilly ghetto
Old 09-07-2015, 01:03 PM
Bencher
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

New Plastidip products are actually much better than the old and look amazing if done right. But Platidip, even with glossy coat looks best on hard material, plastic & metal. Won't look right on softer material like you describe imo.
Old 09-07-2015, 07:26 PM
dprestidge
Burning Brakes

Received 262 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by vettekat2007
Can PlastiDip be put on a LT1 fake leather interior part? If so, will it be able to be peeled off without damage to the original part? I want to do the cowl that comes up from the center console and wraps over the top of the instrument panel and goes down the drivers door. I would like it to be a bright red close to Adrenaline Red exterior paint. The PlastiDip I've seen all seems to be a flat or dull color, but they have something that goes on as a top layer that is supposed to make it glossy I guess. Anyone have any info on doing this?
Not hard to use. My son blacked out everything on his 4X4 wheels and all more than 2 years ago and it's holding up great. They have glossifier if you want shiny.
That said, I don't know if I would want it on interior parts.
Go to there web site and ask how it will hold up in the interior. If it will pull right off textured parts you have noting to loose, give it a try and let us know. Pic's please.
Why pay $500 when you might be able to do it for $20
Old 09-08-2015, 12:30 AM
vettekat2007
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by dprestidge
Not hard to use. My son blacked out everything on his 4X4 wheels and all more than 2 years ago and it's holding up great. They have glossifier if you want shiny.
That said, I don't know if I would want it on interior parts.
Go to there web site and ask how it will hold up in the interior. If it will pull right off textured parts you have noting to loose, give it a try and let us know. Pic's please.
Why pay $500 when you might be able to do it for $20
Thanks. At least one person understands what I'm trying to do and the costs involved. Not sure I will try it, but if I do, will post pics.
Old 09-08-2015, 09:02 AM
0Cajun @ Edgyvette
Former Vendor

Received 393 Likes on 286 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12'-'13-'14-'15

Wow, not sure why there is so much negativity surrounding plasti dip. Easy to use and spray, peelable when you want to change it up, protects paint from chips and discoloration, cheap, DIY capable, literally thousands of color options with pearl, metallic, and other options. To those that are so AGAINST it, have you tried it or seen a car done with it?

BER is a supplier for DYC.com and we LOVE plasti dip. Hit me if you need advise or supplies.
Attached Images    

Last edited by Cajun @ Edgyvette; 09-08-2015 at 09:09 AM.
Old 09-08-2015, 09:24 AM
dprestidge
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by vettekat2007
Thanks. At least one person understands what I'm trying to do and the costs involved. Not sure I will try it, but if I do, will post pics.
Sure, some of folks on this forum just throw money at their cars. That's fine but some don't have that kind of money. Some just want to find things they can do themselves.

I used to build hot rods and motorcycles so I could have something cool. These cars are great but I still like to put my twist on them. My '08 had chrome wheels and no black, painted all black body color. My '15 has no chrome and I added more black.

THESE ARE OUR VETTES! WE GET TO DO WHAT WE WANT!
Old 09-08-2015, 09:26 AM
dprestidge
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Cajun@BER
Wow, not sure why there is so much negativity surrounding plasti dip. Easy to use and spray, peelable when you want to change it up, protects paint from chips and discoloration, cheap, DIY capable, literally thousands of color options with pearl, metallic, and other options. To those that are so AGAINST it, have you tried it or seen a car done with it?

BER is a supplier for DYC.com and we LOVE plasti dip. Hit me if you need advise or supplies.
That looks good!!!
Old 09-08-2015, 11:10 AM
0Cajun @ Edgyvette
Former Vendor

Received 393 Likes on 286 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12'-'13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by dprestidge
That looks good!!!
Yep, wait until you see the new graphite black mettalic
Old 09-08-2015, 11:17 AM
Rj-lo
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Cajun@BER

no way. the other guy on this thread says NOBODY is qualified to answer this, so since he said it, it must be true

Get notified of new replies

To PlastiDip Advice Please

Old 09-08-2015, 11:41 AM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 952 Likes on 499 Posts
Tech Contributor

I think we are off the original question and that was using PD on the dash interior. That I would not do, it won't color match. and It will abrade....I have been using plastidip for years and like it for many things, my winter wheels are anthracite PD for my road trips. a year later they look good. But for an interior, I'd pass.
my wheel - 3 coats PD then glossifier:
Old 09-08-2015, 09:16 PM
Schweg
Heel & Toe

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

We did plasti dip on my wife's wheels. I would never do an interior with it but as for the wheels, they held up great and totally changed the look of the car.
Attached Images  
Old 09-08-2015, 11:20 PM
Sp00ky
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

That vette with the plasti-dip looks amazing. Plasti-dip is a great product that's pretty hard to mess up with. As long as you're steady with your layers like most other spray cans, you are golden.

It seems no one here has had any experience with interior pieces so I'll chime in. Me and a buddy sprayed a few plastic interior pieces on his 08' STi. Initially it turned out pretty good. However, the pieces we did were pieces that were touched (around the A/C contorls, window switches, etc.). After a month, some started to peel and it expectantly worsened. I'd say after a couple months it needed to be resprayed.

Would I do this to my car? I would not. Plasti-dip is a fun product to use but with my car, I would do things right and get it wrapped.

Quick Reply: PlastiDip Advice Please