Sponsored by:

Car play question

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2015, 06:27 AM
Marc VERO
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car play question

When I use Apple Maps on car play, the audio directions are very low, all other volumes are fine. I tried turning up volume on phone, that didn't work. Any fix for this?
Thanks
Old 09-06-2015, 07:29 AM
HoustonMidtown
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 46 Posts

Try turning up the car's volume while the audio directions are being spoken
Old 09-06-2015, 08:48 AM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

What additional functions/capability are you getting over the 2014/15 models with factory navigation? From what I have seen everything is tied to iPhone via Bluetooth. (My iPhone link gets corrupted over time and I loose functions until I cancel everything and pair again)
Old 09-06-2015, 09:04 AM
Mac-427
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 8 Posts

My car is a 2016 2LT without factory Nav. I have an I-phone 6 with the Garmin Nav system installed. Yes, the Imap program works with Carplay, but I usually use Bluetooth. I also have a Pro-Clip installed to cradle the phone. Because the Pro-Clip positions my phone perfectly, I don't need a map on the factory monitor. I find it much more convenient to leave everything on Bluetooth and skip the Carplay. The I-phone screen is large enough with the Garmin App that nothing else is needed. Moreover, I have full use of the monitor without the need to change out of the Carplay map. To me, this is the best of both worlds.
Old 09-06-2015, 09:21 AM
Larry/car
Race Director

IMAP program? Is this wireless or must a USB port be used. I am under the impression that the CarPlay map displays on the center multi function screen, you just don't get the turns on the DIC or heads up display. Trying to decide if CarPlay will provide navigation function I have come to expect with factory nav. That darn PDR ($1,000 for something I don't want) has more than doubled the navigation option cost!
Old 09-06-2015, 01:39 PM
Mac-427
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 8 Posts

The IMAP program will only display on the vehicle monitor through a wired connection between an iPhone and a USB port.
Old 09-06-2015, 06:29 PM
kevincol
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 109 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by HoustonMidtown
Try turning up the car's volume while the audio directions are being spoken
Old 09-06-2015, 06:40 PM
Larry/car
Race Director

Sounds more like CarPlay is more of an advertising gimmick. No advantage over normal capability on cars with the factory navigation option.
Old 09-06-2015, 06:46 PM
kevincol
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 109 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry/car
Sounds more like CarPlay is more of an advertising gimmick. No advantage over normal capability on cars with the factory navigation option.
There is definite value to CarPlay. It's just obvious that it is a 1st generation thing and they need to get it more matured. More apps that support CarPlay would be a great start and then supporting BT would help even more. I definitely use it all the time and in regards to the nav, both have distinct upside and downsides. The biggest plus with CarPlay nav is that it is a million times easier to get to places you want to go and new places are on the map at Internet speed vs. new DVD speed. The nav system has the plus of that it works where there is no Internet access! I've hit both the scenarios and was glad I had the other to back me up.
Old 09-06-2015, 07:04 PM
Larry/car
Race Director

It will be interesting to see CarPlay evolve.

Get notified of new replies

To Car play question

Quick Reply: Car play question