C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it time for GM to stop offering chrome wheels on Corvettes??

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2015, 10:32 AM
Cirrus8
Drifting

Received 96 Likes on 50 Posts

Black wheels look good on trains, police cars, garbage trucks, construction equipment and snow plows!! Shiny wheels look good on classy cars.
Old 09-04-2015, 10:36 AM
mjross
Pro

Received 200 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by BOBSZ06
Exactly...the baby boomer grew up with chrome and still want it on their retirement sporty Corvette.
They will fade away in time.

And so will you................
Old 09-04-2015, 10:37 AM
Len44
Racer

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 121 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by NYSZ06
My apologies I have a touch pad I hate and im trying to get to work....I spell very well thank you. Typing too fast. But what does that have to do with hawaiin shurts and bowzer LOL
Couple of thoughts for you:

1. Sincerely hope you're not driving and texting (not presuming you are, just sayin')

2. Might try slowing down a bit. "hawaiin shurts" Really? Seems to beg the point...
Old 09-04-2015, 10:37 AM
NYSZ06
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Ahh I had another misspell...need a keyboard !
Gotta run ...im actually a very friendly guy but I wanted to push buttons because this is a topic that needs airing. You gents are not helping the car image for the future ...chrome has to go and I bet it does sooner than you think. As that great poet AdamAnt once said " the future will not stand still " Thanks for letting me jack you guys up !
Old 09-04-2015, 10:40 AM
mjross
Pro

Gotta run ...im actually a very friendly guy but I wanted to push buttons because this is a topic that needs airing. You gents are not helping the car image for the future ...chrome has to go and I bet it does sooner than you think. As that great poet AdamAnt once said " the future will not stand still " Thanks for letting me jack you guys up !
You have a lot to learn................ By the way, let's see your Vette!

Last edited by mjross; 09-04-2015 at 10:43 AM.
Old 09-04-2015, 10:41 AM
ratman6161
Pro

Received 122 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by docprego
It's definitely not my cup of tea. But I love that someone who wants chrome can order it. That's one of the great things about the C7, you can get it exactly to your specifications.

My sentiments exactly. I actually have chrome wheels and love them. From GM's point of view, why in the world would they even think about ending an option where there is sufficient demand to support it? I am sure there is probably some minimum number of them they have to sell in a year to make it worth while to offer them. But as long as they are above that number why wouldn't they keep selling them? It wouldn't make sense to stop selling a $1995 option that people are still buying
Old 09-04-2015, 10:42 AM
Richard Ames
Drifting

Received 205 Likes on 163 Posts

Chrome Wheels are nice and the chrome grill part helps tie them to the car.
Old 09-04-2015, 10:48 AM
ratman6161
Pro

Received 122 Likes on 58 Posts

I could really care less about the "the car image for the future". If I'm paying this kind of money for a car I'm darn sure going to get what I like/want without the slightest care for "image".

I'm 54 and only on my second Corvette. But in July while I was visiting the Corvette Museum I met a guy who looked maybe 10 years older than me and said he was on his 8th Corvette. I really know of no other vehicle that has the kind of loyal customers that the Corvette has (at least among any car I could remotely ever hope to buy). Obviously this guy started buying Vettes when he was young and kept on buying them. After all these years of supporting the brand, do you really believe that if he wanted chrome, that GM should refuse to sell it to him?
Old 09-04-2015, 10:54 AM
jerryv
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

My opinion is better than yours.
Old 09-04-2015, 10:59 AM
427bob
Pro

Received 296 Likes on 93 Posts

Chrome wheels are silly.
They are too heavy. They announce that you drive the car like an old fart. They rarely attain the posted speed limit.
They are never seen on real race cars.
Usually seen sitting in a parking lot all day with the owner chasing dust bunnies, if he or she can get their fat A$$ out of their chair, and don't trip over their bucket of detail wax and rags.

So sell those bogus shiny wheels and get the beautiful stock rims, or step out of the clone box and get some gray or black beauties. Then sign up for an autox or track event and learn how to drive this terrific SPORTS/PERFORMANCE CAR!
Old 09-04-2015, 11:01 AM
WKMCD
Race Director

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

We're retiring to Florida soon. I'm told - by law - I need to change to chrome wheels and put a hanging clothes rack behind the seat.
Old 09-04-2015, 11:05 AM
sharpgt
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I used to paint my curbed wheels black since it was the easiest fix for me back before the look was in vogue. So I am tired of the look and prefer chrome now. I like that Chevy offers choices and they will do so as long as it is profitable. Different strokes for different folks!
Old 09-04-2015, 11:09 AM
golddog
Melting Slicks

Received 2,901 Likes on 993 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10,'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by 427bob
Chrome wheels are silly.
They are too heavy. They announce that you drive the car like an old fart. They rarely attain the posted speed limit.
Usually seen sitting in a parking lot all day with the owner chasing dust bunnies, if he or she can get their fat A$$ out of their chair, and don't trip over their bucket of detail wax and rags.

So sell those bogus shiny wheels and get the beautiful stock rims, or step out of the clone box and get some gray or black beauties. Then sign up for an autox or track event and learn how to drive this terrific SPORTS/PERFORMANCE CAR!
Wrong, they are seen on real race cars.
Old 09-04-2015, 11:13 AM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,686 Likes on 1,485 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by C7DriverOnt
Great wheel choices, the color of the car you choose for me is followed by the wheel choice. I don't have chromes on my C7 but there are certain colors that it looks great on. Other colors I like the black wheels on. Sorta like what color shoes do you where with your suit. Chrome will never go away, fact is give it a few years and it's probably due for a resurgence with the mainstream fashion folks. Always that way, remember Cragar mags, only 50 yrs ago now , chrome lives on.
I like your suit/shoe comparison as I think it's spot on!

I look at the entire car and the complete trim package as to how well the exterior and interior colors match up with the wheel finish being the final accessory that makes or breaks the look.

I've seen some very nice Crystal Red and Shark Gray Z06s with chrome wheels that IMO look better than black because of their darker paint. I've also seen some exotic Ferraris and Lambos with black uber-expensive custom carbon fiber wheels that I'm sure are fantastic, however disappear from 10 feet away.

As mentioned, I'm leaning toward Longbeach Red and I'm thinking either the Forgeline polished brushed finish or their transparent smoke would be a great match.

Old 09-04-2015, 11:17 AM
nmvettec7
Safety Car

Received 850 Likes on 493 Posts

Originally Posted by 427bob
Chrome wheels are silly.

They are never seen on real race cars. What is this?.....
Attached Images  
Old 09-04-2015, 11:19 AM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,686 Likes on 1,485 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by WKMCD
We're retiring to Florida soon. I'm told - by law - I need to change to chrome wheels and put a hanging clothes rack behind the seat.
...and make sure you learn how do drive 5 MPH below the posted speed limit while driving in the left passing lane with no traffic in front of you. I live here...I know!
Old 09-04-2015, 11:21 AM
NavyDocVette
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

This is a topic that needs to be talked about over and over. You have a terrific new platform to grow the market for the Corvette but you have the doo wop crowd that won't let go and move on which turns OFF cross over buyers. I know because many of my friends are European sports car buyers who love the new vette and are horrified ....yes horrified by chrome wheels. I PRAY they go away sooner than later. So for the sake of moving on dont stop telling Harlan to end the chrome and out all of us under 60 out of our misery. Vive Le Hawaiin shirts and Members Only jackets !! The Carter Administration called they want their clothes back
As a member of your "under 60" crowd - currently 45, I would appreciate it if you stop speaking for all of us. I am very much looking forward to my new C7 - WITH CHROME WHEELS.

Get notified of new replies

To Is it time for GM to stop offering chrome wheels on Corvettes??

Old 09-04-2015, 11:28 AM
mjross
Pro

Let's end this thread before someone gets hurt!
Old 09-04-2015, 11:31 AM
Reddie2
Intermediate

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

GM should keep offering them, if you don't like them--Don't order them! Choice is good!
Old 09-04-2015, 11:33 AM
djpatrick35
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

They shouldn't go away at all. While they're out of style now, you never know when they'll be back 'in.'

Sports cars like this should give you as much choice as possible. Porsche gives its customers a ton of choices and people happily pony up the dough for it. I'm glad they're bringing back stitching options, but there should be all kinds of options like that for wheels, leathers, even the seatbelts that we scoff at for Porsche and Viper would probably sell in Corvettes. Red/Yellow/Blue/White color options would really tie the room together!

Quick Reply: Is it time for GM to stop offering chrome wheels on Corvettes??