Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ridiculous OnStar Invoice Prices

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2015, 01:22 PM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 141 Likes on 120 Posts

I didn't even bother activating my free trial. Don't need big brother watching. Useless service as far as I'm concerned. Other then letting me know how my car is doing every month.. But I can see that for free...when I'm in it.
Old 08-23-2015, 01:41 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,277 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by defaria
I keep wondering, what does OnStar give me that my Android phone doesn't already do better?
When you have a wreck that deploys the airbags, they call you in the car to see if you need an ambulance.

If your car is stolen, they can turn the engine off.
Old 08-23-2015, 02:03 PM
Tenchi
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

The map in the OnStar app for sending directions to the car is a nice feature though... instead of using the slow onboard nav to type in addresses or try to find POIs not in the system. Is it worth the $350/year? Not really....

Yeah, of course the phone can do a better job at maps, but it doesn't give the turn by turn on the HUD and screen which is a nice feature to have.
Old 08-23-2015, 02:28 PM
Boiler_81
Drifting

Received 429 Likes on 307 Posts

The airbags don't have to be deployed to receive the call. In 2011 I had a 2010 Impala with OnStar which was totaled by a guy running a red light. He hit me in the right front side. My car was spun 180 degrees but did not deploy the bags due to the angle of impact. I received a call from OnStar shortly after the accident. Myself and the other driver were OK and did not need first aid. OnStar did call the local police.

Originally Posted by Vette_DD
When you have a wreck that deploys the airbags, they call you in the car to see if you need an ambulance.

Old 08-23-2015, 03:11 PM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,291 Likes on 1,400 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by not08crmanymore
I didn't even bother activating my free trial. Don't need big brother watching. Useless service as far as I'm concerned. Other then letting me know how my car is doing every month.. But I can see that for free...when I'm in it.
This. Waste of money at any price.
Old 08-23-2015, 03:23 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,622 Likes on 14,160 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

My 6 month trial period in my DD is set to expire on 9/3/15. I do not plan to renew the service as the cost is IMO very high. Maybe they'll send me a special offer in the future - but it would have to be a really good one to sign up.
Old 08-23-2015, 03:39 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,764 Likes on 1,530 Posts

Originally Posted by arcticblast
If you give your CC info, they will automatically renew your plan at the highest price for your plan, even when rates go up.
With no mailing to you until after it is done to you.
Old 08-23-2015, 04:42 PM
Roadrogue
Burning Brakes

Received 93 Likes on 74 Posts

My question remains: does Onstar hotspot wifi have better coverage than the cell phone companies? I have no idea how their system works but as I said before Verizon sucks. Even on a day ride around Pittsburgh I'm often losing service which really sucks if using a mobile device navigation app. Stuck with Verizon cause of contracts for new phones. I'd pay Onstar if that feature alone was good.
Old 08-23-2015, 07:44 PM
Blue Demon
Le Mans Master

Location: And then it was said... "let there be blue Corvettes and yellow Camaros" Ft Worth Texas
Received 100 Likes on 77 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

We have On Star on all three of our cars, and we use the phone and directions options very often. Of course it is just a convenience/insurance type thing but since we are in our 60's and can afford it we will use it. Hell, we have insurance on everything to include our cars, refrigerators, computers, home, freezers, TV's, computers, etc. We do not need complications at this stage of our life. And, most importantly we always negotiate a fair price with On Star and have never had a problem with them in umpteen years. To each his own.
Old 08-23-2015, 07:47 PM
JDM111er
Pro

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Red-C6 of Jax
DO NOT give them your credit card number, ask for an invoice and pay by check.
Old 08-23-2015, 08:10 PM
N227GB
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-'18,'19-'20,'23

Theoretically if you're incapacitated or your cell phone becomes lost or damaged in a collision, this would be useful. But the chances are pretty good there will be witnesses calling in to 911 in short order.

Originally Posted by Roadrogue
My question remains: does Onstar hotspot wifi have better coverage than the cell phone companies? I have no idea how their system works but as I said before Verizon sucks. Even on a day ride around Pittsburgh I'm often losing service which really sucks if using a mobile device navigation app.
I'm surprised to hear this. I switched to Verizon early last year when the tower Sprint leased near my home in FL did not have enough capacity. I travel all over the country, often on secondary roads. I stream Pandora all the time. Maybe you have a handset problem. I have friends in the Pittsburgh area. Without NAV data on my phone I would be in serious trouble finding my way around your town.
Old 08-24-2015, 10:33 AM
defaria
Safety Car

Received 1,203 Likes on 732 Posts

And how often has that happened to you? Me, never. Sure you can call it basically an insurance policy - an expensive insurance policy.
Old 08-24-2015, 10:35 AM
defaria
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Tenchi
The map in the OnStar app for sending directions to the car is a nice feature though... instead of using the slow onboard nav to type in addresses or try to find POIs not in the system. Is it worth the $350/year? Not really....

Yeah, of course the phone can do a better job at maps, but it doesn't give the turn by turn on the HUD and screen which is a nice feature to have.
This is where I hope Android Auto will fill that gap. Of course, nobody can answer whether or not Android Auto will do the turn by turn in the nav...
Old 08-24-2015, 11:06 AM
6spdC6
Team Owner

Location: Northern NYs Adirondack Mountains,http://www.visitsacandaga.com.
Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by not08crmanymore
I left Kerbeck in April with that on star crap not working. I have had no call through the car, or phone calls at home with only one mailing a couple weeks after I made my purchase. If I had my druthers on star would be a dealer option. If I could have ordered a car without it I would. If I could find someone that really knew what they were doing I would remove that garbage from my car.

At least with my DD truck ch*t like that is a option. That is why after having 25 loaded 4x4 PUs I stopped buying GMs and am very happy with my none GM truck.
Old 08-24-2015, 11:41 AM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,251 Likes on 2,023 Posts

Originally Posted by defaria
Doesn't change the fact that you can do the same ('cept accident detection) with a simple Android phone. And let me ask you this - have you ever used the accident detection? You're just paying for an insurance policy.
And this is America so I fail to see why you and others are so wound up about this. The person you responded to is happy with the OnStar service, feels that it provides a layer of security that he is happy to pay for, what's the problem? I would offer that plenty of folks can (and do) question why all of us Corvette owners spend a LOT of money on a car that is more capable than most of us, cannot be remotely driven to it's potential legally on public streets, only carries 2 people, etc... Because this is America...

Think OnStar is a waste of money? Nervous about "Big Brother"? No problem, don't pay for the service. But don't tell other people how to spend their money. Fairly certain no one died and put any of us in charge of other folk's money.

Jimmy

Last edited by jimmyb; 08-24-2015 at 11:48 AM.
Old 08-24-2015, 11:48 AM
defaria
Safety Car

Originally Posted by jimmyb
And this is America so I fail to see why you and other are so wound up about this. The person you responded to is happy with the OnStar service, feels that it provides a layer of security that he is happy to pay for, what's the problem? I would offer that plenty of folks can (and do) question why all of us Corvette owners spend a LOT of money on a car that is more capable than most of us, cannot be remotely driven to it's potential legally on public streets, only carries 2 people, etc... Because this is America...

Jimmy
So many things wrong here. Who said I was wound up? You did. Well, you're wrong. I'm not wound up - just speaking my mind... kinda like... well YOU!

Did I say there was a problem? No I didn't. Yet another of your incorrect assumptions? This has nothing to do with being in America Jimmy. Do you think that all of those people who question us buying a Corvette are wound up with problems? No, they are simply stating their opinion, like you are doing and like I'm doing. Grow up!
Old 08-24-2015, 11:55 AM
bob guzzy
Safety Car

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

I never use the thing, if I had a use for it maybe I would be interested but I'm not interested.

I'm not paying for something I don't need or want.

Get notified of new replies

To Ridiculous OnStar Invoice Prices

Old 08-24-2015, 12:07 PM
jcthorne
Drifting

Received 444 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by Roadrogue
My question remains: does Onstar hotspot wifi have better coverage than the cell phone companies? I have no idea how their system works but as I said before Verizon sucks. Even on a day ride around Pittsburgh I'm often losing service which really sucks if using a mobile device navigation app. Stuck with Verizon cause of contracts for new phones. I'd pay Onstar if that feature alone was good.
The onstar 4GLTE connection for wifi is AT&T. It will work as well as AT&Ts network in the area. It does have a better antenna and stronger transmitter than your cell phone though.
Old 08-24-2015, 12:11 PM
jcthorne
Drifting

Received 444 Likes on 254 Posts

Can anyone post what deals were offered to you that are better than those posted at the onstar web site? I MIGHT be interested in keeping just the security features if the price was much more reasonable.

I like being able to send a destination to the car via the web but its not worth hundreds of bucks a year.

Would like to have the theft alerts but they want extra above the subscription I already have just to get that (I have the free 6 month deal).
Old 08-24-2015, 12:34 PM
Cliff358
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK, this might be a stupid question but I'll ask it anyway. Will my phone still work through my car after my trial Onstar expires? I've never owned a car with Onstar or had a car that the phone would connect to so I don't really understand how all this works. I don't really see any reason to keep Onstar but I like using my car connection for my phone calls.

Quick Reply: Ridiculous OnStar Invoice Prices