Sponsored by:

Anyone with a C7 have a hip replacement, 2015 C7 M7

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2015, 03:03 PM
Damian M
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Anyone with a C7 have a hip replacement, 2015 C7 M7

I just found out I need a total hip replacement after a fall this winter. I am scheduled for the end of this month. First thing I thought of was; will I be able to drive my C7. Has anyone gone through this and have you been able to get in and out of your car? Is the 90 degree angle an issue? I love this car and I would hate to part with it but I know I don't want it to sit in the garage either. I definitely will probably put the battery tender on it while I am down.
Old 08-04-2015, 03:40 PM
BOBD17
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can't help you with the hip replacement but I have had both knees replaced in the past year and have zero problems with getting in and out or driving my C7. I have heard that knees are worst than hips but they all still hurt. I would keep the C7 until your done with physical therapy and then make your decision. Just my 2 cents. Good luck with your surgery and rehab.
Old 08-04-2015, 04:20 PM
Oilcan
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wife has had both hips replaced and does not have trouble getting in and out of the C7. When we were thinking of buying I took her to the dealer just for that reason. No problem but she does exercise a fair amount and if you want it to go well make sure you exercise. We don't have a m7 but I don't see where you might have a problem. She doesn't drive the C7 only because she has watch out for so many things. Good luck knees are much worse then hips.
Old 08-04-2015, 04:38 PM
Sneakytoot
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Damian M
I just found out I need a total hip replacement after a fall this winter. I am scheduled for the end of this month. First thing I thought of was; will I be able to drive my C7. Has anyone gone through this and have you been able to get in and out of your car? Is the 90 degree angle an issue? I love this car and I would hate to part with it but I know I don't want it to sit in the garage either. I definitely will probably put the battery tender on it while I am down.
I have a right hip replacement no problems at all getting in or out, seats very comfortable, drove about 850 miles a day on a long road trip no problems.
Old 08-04-2015, 04:51 PM
C8-Vette
Safety Car

Received 302 Likes on 192 Posts

Don't drive until the anesthesia wears off!
Old 08-04-2015, 04:54 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 951 Likes on 498 Posts
Tech Contributor

14000 miles/ hip replaced 8 yrs ago, no problems, get in/out with sit and spin.
Old 08-04-2015, 06:08 PM
C7BB
Burning Brakes

Received 73 Likes on 56 Posts

I had my left hip replaced in 2012. Zero problems driving the M7... The seats are very comfy even on long trips. As long as you learn how to bend and stoop (keeping knee outside hip on bending) you'll be fine.
Old 08-04-2015, 06:22 PM
GreenGA
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 115 Likes on 96 Posts

I know I have a couple of knee replacements in my future and in researching I came across a new device for assisting the surgeon in placing and aligning the knees. Why am I mentioning this? Because the device is also used for hip replacement surgery. Very interesting technology.

Here's the link:

http://www.orthosensor.com/surgeons/verasense-surgical/

Old 08-04-2015, 08:04 PM
TNSQUIRE
Drifting

Received 336 Likes on 238 Posts

My wife has had a hip and both knees replaced. She has no issues getting in or out. She sits in sideways and spins around with her legs.
Old 08-04-2015, 08:38 PM
Greg00Coupe
Race Director

Received 1,991 Likes on 1,148 Posts

Have had both mine replaced. You will wish you had it done earlier!!! Frankly I forget I even had it done except now I can walk the golf course instead of needing a cart.

Mine was cut via the front and not the side. I was back to work....desk job and driving the Corvette (manual) in 3 weeks. And I was 61 at the time. Making the incision in the front is less evasive and tears less muscles. Amazing all I took post surgery was extra strength Tylenol. Don't think I'd do it but my surgeon is now doing hip replacement as out patient!!! I was in the hospital for one night and liked that.

Bottom line I do better driving and getting around now.
Old 08-04-2015, 08:49 PM
youcancallmeray
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you were able to drive it before your surgery it will only be easier after your surgery(and PT).
Old 08-04-2015, 08:53 PM
Damian M
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Amazing, just Tylenol for pain, you must have a high tolerance!!! This happened suddenly, not something I knew was coming, my hips were not bothering me before, the ice this past winter did me in, still depressed about it, but listening to everyone on the CF it doesn't sound too bad, still very nervous about it, I am going to ask my surgeon about the incision in the front, thanks.
Old 08-04-2015, 09:49 PM
C7BB
Burning Brakes

Received 73 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg00Coupe
Have had both mine replaced. You will wish you had it done earlier!!! Frankly I forget I even had it done except now I can walk the golf course instead of needing a cart.

Mine was cut via the front and not the side. I was back to work....desk job and driving the Corvette (manual) in 3 weeks. And I was 61 at the time. Making the incision in the front is less evasive and tears less muscles. Amazing all I took post surgery was extra strength Tylenol. Don't think I'd do it but my surgeon is now doing hip replacement as out patient!!! I was in the hospital for one night and liked that.

Bottom line I do better driving and getting around now.
I'm impressed brother!! I broke my hip and had no choice but to get it replaced. (Avasular Necrosis) I had stage three left hip, finally broke the femoral ball, right hip stage two, core decompression. I THOUGHT my surgeon was the best in the country, I was out 3 months. Rehab is your friend folks, it will make or break the success of the surgery.

I was 40 when that happened and it still feels like it's perfect a couple years later... But I'm in awe of your quick recovery and no need of heavy meds.

To the op... I understand the feeling of depression and thinking your life as you know it is over, but do the necessary steps to recover, and you'll see medical science is amazing these days. You'll make a full recovery and actually be better then before. Best of luck.
Old 08-05-2015, 01:40 AM
senah
Burning Brakes

Received 122 Likes on 101 Posts

you might be interested in looking into this program as a different option for dealing with your problem.

i have used and applied his info and know from personal experience that he knows what he is talking about, at least as far as what my issues were, which were not arthritis related.

there is a lot of info from him on youtube.
Old 08-05-2015, 03:42 AM
Runs11s
Pro

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

No hip (yet!) but I've had both knees replaced and have zero issues getting in and out of my C7.

Unless there are other complications I would wait till you heal and make a decision because I'm betting you will have no problem.
Old 08-05-2015, 04:24 AM
franklinkeck
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Find the best Orthopedics surgeon through medical tourism company, Recently My wife got a Knee Replacement Surgery in India, with the help of Placidway, a medical tourism company. We were referred by this company to Lokmanya Hospital in Pune which is a modern and highly specialized medical center. My wife did not have so much difficulties in undergoing the Surgery since the staff were so kind to us and made my wife comfortable.
Old 08-05-2015, 07:32 AM
stephen1254
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Amazing, just Tylenol for pain, you must have a high tolerance!!! This happened suddenly, not something I knew was coming, my hips were not bothering me before, the ice this past winter did me in, still depressed about it, but listening to everyone on the CF it doesn't sound too bad, still very nervous about it, I am going to ask my surgeon about the incision in the front, thanks.
I've had both hips resurfaced - a bone sparing total hip replacement. First one was from the back, second one was from the front - the latter was a quicker recovery. I scheduled delivery of my C7 for 6 weeks after the second operation, but I could have taken delivery in half the time. Bottom line is no issues, although you will want to observe the 90 degree restriction for the period advised by your doctor. That is a possible advantage of the anterior approach - my restriction was 110 degrees and was lifted at 3 weeks.

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone with a C7 have a hip replacement, 2015 C7 M7

Old 08-05-2015, 09:48 AM
sanantguy
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Well I guess this thread says it all on the typical demographic of vette owners.
Old 08-05-2015, 01:03 PM
Greg00Coupe
Race Director

Received 1,991 Likes on 1,148 Posts

Originally Posted by sanantguy
Well I guess this thread says it all on the typical demographic of vette owners.
Not really. I ran and did a lot of damage to my body. By not by what younger folks are doing today. Hips, knees and shoulders are getting done more frequently and for younger patients. Know a guy who smashed his at 25 on a quad runner. Has had a number of surgeries as he is a roofer and wears his out.

I am always amazed that say 40 years ago they did not do this surgery...... you sucked it up.

As a follow up with my first replacement 4 years ago......lots of PT. Last year ZERO PT....... same surgeon....... says he changed his mind and PT does more harm then good. Simple stretching routines.....nothing extreme.

We're all different....... I found the first hip 10 years. Lots of Aleve which is very bad for you. I am very active and in pretty good shape so I bounced pretty quick.
Old 08-05-2015, 04:36 PM
sanantguy
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg00Coupe
Not really. I ran and did a lot of damage to my body. By not by what younger folks are doing today. Hips, knees and shoulders are getting done more frequently and for younger patients. Know a guy who smashed his at 25 on a quad runner. Has had a number of surgeries as he is a roofer and wears his out.

I am always amazed that say 40 years ago they did not do this surgery...... you sucked it up.

As a follow up with my first replacement 4 years ago......lots of PT. Last year ZERO PT....... same surgeon....... says he changed his mind and PT does more harm then good. Simple stretching routines.....nothing extreme.

We're all different....... I found the first hip 10 years. Lots of Aleve which is very bad for you. I am very active and in pretty good shape so I bounced pretty quick.
that's right. I'm probably one of those guys that will need a couple knees and an elbow. Young people push the limits because they know they can just have that stuff replaced these days!

Quick Reply: Anyone with a C7 have a hip replacement, 2015 C7 M7