Sponsored by:

Creaking roof fix

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2015, 11:06 AM
c7v
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Creaking roof fix

So after purchasing my first Corvette, i was really disappointed with how creaky the car sounded. The car felt really tight and well put together but over slight bumps or road imperfection it sounded like it was falling apart. It got so bad that i had to turn up the music just so my passengers wouldn't ask why the car sounded like a 15 year old junker. I read the advise on this forum regarding the lubricant and did just that. The noise never went away but for a few hours. I then tried the o-ring fix. I placed one o-ring on each side and the noise went away, for a short while. 3 days later it returned and was just as bad. I placed a second o-ring on each side and not only did the popping sounds go away, the creaking sounds that i thought were emanating from other places completely went away too. Now the car is DEAD silent, feels better put together than the bmw z4 i had before it and now finally sounds like it should have. Thank you to everyone on this forum for taking the time to post this. This made me almost hate the car because having something creak and pop in your ear is like an annoying passenger who doesn't stop talking and takes all your attention from enjoying the drive and the v8 sounds. Also, im guessing 1 o-ring per side probably works until the o-ring deforms and allows the 2 peices of trim to rub together again, im guessing the second one completely prevents that.

I have enough o-rings for 4-5 more cars, the next 4 people that mention that they need them on this forum, i will contact you by private message, get your address and then ship them to you at my own expense . I am so thankful for the members the take the time out to help others and i want to pay it forward. If it wasnt for this forum my car would be at the dealership probably for several visits while trying to figure out the problem and probably creating new ones (like my simple oil change turned into oil leaked all over my car). Please let me know.

Last edited by c7v; 07-28-2015 at 11:14 AM.
Old 07-28-2015, 11:55 AM
bob guzzy
Safety Car

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Mine just started after almost a year of dead quiet but mine only makes noise until the body warms up in the sun.

I'm not taking it apart until it won't stop making noise, I really don't need any O rings I have a few boxes of all kinds in all sizes.
Old 07-28-2015, 01:07 PM
Pisswilly
Melting Slicks

Received 837 Likes on 373 Posts

Got any pics of where the O rings go? What size are they?
Old 07-28-2015, 01:24 PM
W88fixer
Melting Slicks

Received 72 Likes on 43 Posts

We see creaking roof posts regularly.

Mine is now just over 13 mo old and not a sound out of it. Have removed the targa only once to see how it works and don’t intend to drive w/o it. It’s a nice idea but for us, there is a very narrow temp range where it would be fun and with my wife’s hearing issues, speaking with the targa off just won’t work.

Don’t want to mess with a good thing, rattles and squeaks really aggravate me. Don

Last edited by W88fixer; 07-28-2015 at 03:10 PM.
Old 07-28-2015, 01:31 PM
Voldi
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by c7v
So after purchasing my first Corvette, i was really disappointed with how creaky the car sounded. The car felt really tight and well put together but over slight bumps or road imperfection it sounded like it was falling apart. It got so bad that i had to turn up the music just so my passengers wouldn't ask why the car sounded like a 15 year old junker. I read the advise on this forum regarding the lubricant and did just that. The noise never went away but for a few hours. I then tried the o-ring fix. I placed one o-ring on each side and the noise went away, for a short while. 3 days later it returned and was just as bad. I placed a second o-ring on each side and not only did the popping sounds go away, the creaking sounds that i thought were emanating from other places completely went away too. Now the car is DEAD silent, feels better put together than the bmw z4 i had before it and now finally sounds like it should have. Thank you to everyone on this forum for taking the time to post this. This made me almost hate the car because having something creak and pop in your ear is like an annoying passenger who doesn't stop talking and takes all your attention from enjoying the drive and the v8 sounds. Also, im guessing 1 o-ring per side probably works until the o-ring deforms and allows the 2 peices of trim to rub together again, im guessing the second one completely prevents that.

I have enough o-rings for 4-5 more cars, the next 4 people that mention that they need them on this forum, i will contact you by private message, get your address and then ship them to you at my own expense . I am so thankful for the members the take the time out to help others and i want to pay it forward. If it wasnt for this forum my car would be at the dealership probably for several visits while trying to figure out the problem and probably creating new ones (like my simple oil change turned into oil leaked all over my car). Please let me know.
I could definitely use some O-rings. Itried the lubrication method without success.
Old 07-28-2015, 01:34 PM
jerry07dx
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Man.....I sure would like a set of those o-rings.
Old 07-28-2015, 01:35 PM
REDBULLIT
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Pisswilly
What he said please.
Old 07-28-2015, 01:39 PM
c5 c7
Intermediate

I'll take a set if you have any left.
Originally Posted by c7v

Old 07-28-2015, 01:48 PM
FLS2K
Pro

Received 193 Likes on 77 Posts

I'd take a set if still available. Thanks and cheers for the offer!
Old 07-28-2015, 02:50 PM
longboy4
Burning Brakes

My car's trans top would creak somewhat on worn streets....more so in the Tucson heat of day. Put a pair of O-rings on the front header pins. The rear latch set screw was already tight and I put an inch long piece of vacuum hose over the hook and locked it down.........unbelievable how well that worked! We'll see over time if it sustains.
Old 07-28-2015, 03:01 PM
TennisFreak
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 52 Posts

I did 2 things and mine is quite as a mouse.

1. Front posts, cleaned off left over industrial tape on them and put some grease on them

2. Rear latch, tightened 2 full turns (it was very loose from the factory almost required no pressure to secure). After tightening it requires significant pressure to secure latch.

I truly feel most people are probably hearing noise because the rear latch is not tight enough.

Mine rattled and creaked very badly, so bad I felt like I wanted to take the roof off and throw it in the trash.

After tightening I never hear a peep out of it. Entire car feels more solid now. Truly a night and day difference.
Old 07-28-2015, 04:03 PM
ZEEEE06
Safety Car

Location: PERCUSSIVE MAINTENANCE: The art of whacking the crap out of an electronic device to get it to work.
Received 749 Likes on 297 Posts

If you have another set, I'd love to have them.
Old 07-28-2015, 04:25 PM
halt00
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Pisswilly
Yes please - would love to see more about this and where you got the o-rings. I have tried many things but the noise has mostly gotten worse.
Old 07-28-2015, 04:35 PM
csixweapon
Advanced

I would be interested in the solution, becoming an annoyance.
Old 07-28-2015, 05:23 PM
bbrown450
Melting Slicks

Received 504 Likes on 348 Posts

Great to share your solution...teach a man to fish please please share the info (link) on what to buy and where...thanks
Old 07-28-2015, 05:24 PM
JHH83
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If anybody needs to buy some, they are available locally at Home Depot and Lowes, or Amazon has them as an add-on item. Here are the ones I used:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000KKP64U?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s01 http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000KKP64U?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s01

Put one on each of the "posts" at the front of the roof panel (the ones that the front latches on to). Problem completely solved for me. I haven't had so much as a squeak or pop since putting them on - and mine was really bad before.
Old 07-28-2015, 08:21 PM
SilversledC7
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine started doing this after a year of ownership. Creaky roof in hot temps until the car is driven for a while. After 2 months of this, it started creaking all the time.

I took the roof off and cleaned all the rubber seals with generous amounts of silicone spray lube. I then lubricated all pins, receptacles, and the fwd latch cam surfaces with Honda high temp Urea grease. After 2 months, not a peep.

Get notified of new replies

To Creaking roof fix

Old 07-28-2015, 08:37 PM
Red C8 of Jax
Safety Car

Received 1,127 Likes on 760 Posts

Originally Posted by JHH83
If anybody needs to buy some, they are available locally at Home Depot and Lowes, or Amazon has them as an add-on item. Here are the ones I used:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o02_s01

Put one on each of the "posts" at the front of the roof panel (the ones that the front latches on to). Problem completely solved for me. I haven't had so much as a squeak or pop since putting them on - and mine was really bad before.
Thanks for posting, I will give them a try.
Old 07-28-2015, 09:24 PM
ZEEEE06
Safety Car

Location: PERCUSSIVE MAINTENANCE: The art of whacking the crap out of an electronic device to get it to work.
Received 749 Likes on 297 Posts

Originally Posted by JHH83

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o02_s01

I'll be at Lowes tomorrow to buy some o rings. BTW, my car is a 16 and it's creaking so I obviously Chevrolet hasn't resolved this problem yet.
Old 07-29-2015, 12:40 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,584 Likes on 14,130 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Good to see an easy and inexpensive fix for this. Hope it lasts a long time.

Quick Reply: Creaking roof fix