2016 EYT -- chrome bar delete

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2015, 12:49 AM
kevincol
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 109 Likes on 67 Posts
Default 2016 EYT -- chrome bar delete

I wanted to provide some information that I just got from Mac Mulkin today following up on the EYT option that ordered on my car. For those that didn't see this as part of another thread, I did the Buyer's Tour last week and when the put my nose on noticed that the chrome bar was not deleted like it is supposed to be for 2016's.

I followed up with Mac Mulkin and they were able to get a veiled answer from their GM support line. Below is the correspondence. Note that it doesn't really provide a concrete answer.

<<
Mac Mulkin: "We have numerous customers that ordered 2016 corvettes with the new EYT option which is supposed to have carbon flash emblems and a delete for the chrome bar in the grille. A couple of our customers went to the factory to see their cars be built and they ordered the EYT option. They have the correct emblems but have a chrome bar in the grille still. Is this a mistake by the factory or is this going to be corrected prior to the vehicles being released from the factory."

GM [1:41:27 PM] : Good Afternoon. Welcome to Order Fulfillment Chat. This is Ernest. By the way, for your reference, you may save this transaction by clicking the save or print icon on the upper right corner of the chat session window prior to the chat session ending. If the order should not have the Chrome bar in the Grille and it is still not finished production in the plant it should remove that Chrome bar in the grill.

Mac Mulkin [1:47:48 PM] : the package states there would be no chrome bar but we have customer who have been at the plant and saw the grill installed with the chrome bar.

GM [1:50:13 PM] : I see that on my system also you are referring to the ZLG Package where the EYT is also included

Mac Mulkin[1:51:13 PM] : correct

GM [1:51:59 PM] : If that option is not included it should be removed after the order has been released to the carrier.

Mac Mulkin[1:53:13 PM] : Is there a way to confirm that the correct grill will be installed on our orders prior to release.

GM [1:54:19 PM] : Unfortunately, we do not have the capacity to contact or affect the order while it is in production.

Mac Mulkin [1:55:09 PM] : So who may I speak with that will be able to confirm the correct grill will be installed.

GM [1:56:03 PM] : Unfortunately, there is no one that comes up to our mind. I am really sorry to say this, but I think the only way to make sure is to wait until the order has been produced.

Mac Mulkin [1:58:30 PM] : What I have been talking about is cars that have been produced and are awaiting load. for example order #SPRFXT

GM [1:59:45 PM] : I will try and check on them. The order is still on quality inspection at the plant or the order is still at the plant. If those orders are still at the plant there is still a chance that they will correct that order and remove the Chrome bar in the grille. What I can advise you is to wait for the order to be delivered to the dealership and if it that Chrome Bar in the Grille is still there I would advise that you contact us so that we can escalate that to our level 2 and correct the order.

Mac Mulkin [2:04:28 PM] : ok Thank you. I will save this for my file
>>

FWIW, it's great to see Mac Mulkin proactively get on the horn with GM to figure this out. I know I am not the only one that ordered EYT -- specifically for the chrome bar delete. So, hopefully this is blazing the trail for the rest of the EYT order crew so you are not surprised when you get the car. Since I am doing R8C, I will probably be one of the first to see if I actually have the chrome bar deleted. If not, I will let you know how it will supposedly get resolved as NCM isn't a "dealer".
Old 07-09-2015, 12:59 AM
Rooster OG
Le Mans Master

Received 1,694 Likes on 1,240 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

I'm curious too, that's how I ordered mine. I wonder what their definition of a delete is too. Removal, a black bar, or tape.
Old 07-09-2015, 01:03 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,440 Likes on 14,049 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

If the chrome bar was to be deleted as part of an option package, it makes no sense that they would put it on the car in the first place.
Old 07-09-2015, 01:13 AM
jma242
Burning Brakes

Received 190 Likes on 109 Posts

One of the many reasons that I have waited to order a 2016. I wish they would get on the ball and get the web site builder updated already. That would hopefully solve all of these questions.
Old 07-09-2015, 01:32 AM
kevincol
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Rooster OG
I'm curious too, that's how I ordered mine. I wonder what their definition of a delete is too. Removal, a black bar, or tape.
How Corvette couched it @ the Bash was that it was literally deleted. It's on the YouTube video where they talk about that specifically. They never said they were going to put black tape over it. However, who really knows. I will find out something when I pick it up for R8C.
Old 07-09-2015, 01:35 AM
docprego
Burning Brakes

Received 263 Likes on 82 Posts

Thank you kevincol for following up on this. I too ordered EYT in part for the chrome bar delete. I'll be disappointed if they missed this, but it's not the end of the world.

Add this to the other mysteries surrounding my 2016 order. (others include; what does the two-tone interior actually look like? What will the new base wheels look like on my car? Where is my car?)
Old 07-09-2015, 01:47 AM
mpuzach
Race Director

Received 1,190 Likes on 594 Posts

Interesting. This is the first time I've heard that they would simply be removing the chrome bars. I've always assumed that they'd be using a unique grill part that included a black bar in place of the chrome one. If all they're doing is removing the chrome, anyone else who wants the same look should be able to do the same thing. Am I missing something here?
Old 07-09-2015, 02:25 AM
jma242
Burning Brakes

Received 190 Likes on 109 Posts

I could have sworn Tadge said that they were going to black it out.
Old 07-09-2015, 02:48 AM
kevincol
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by jma242
I could have sworn Tadge said that they were going to black it out.
I don't know for sure. When you see the below on their order guide, I don't think of putting tape on it. "Without Chrome Bar" in my mind means literally without the chrome bar. I guess the definition of "black it out" could have many different meanings, but I don't equate "black it out" to "without chrome bar".

(EYT) Carbon Flash Badge Package includes full Carbon Flash
grille without chrome bar on Stingray models
Old 07-09-2015, 03:11 AM
kevincol
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by docprego
Thank you kevincol for following up on this. I too ordered EYT in part for the chrome bar delete. I'll be disappointed if they missed this, but it's not the end of the world.

Add this to the other mysteries surrounding my 2016 order. (others include; what does the two-tone interior actually look like? What will the new base wheels look like on my car? Where is my car?)
Below are pics of 2016 wheels. Painted are on mine coming off the line -- I'm replacing those with the different set.

Old 07-09-2015, 03:25 AM
Classic-Chevy-Guy
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 274 Likes on 161 Posts

I still don't understand why Black Wheels don't come with Black Lugnuts!!!!
Old 07-09-2015, 03:46 AM
kevincol
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Classic-Chevy-Guy
I still don't understand why Black Wheels don't come with Black Lugnuts!!!!
My thoughts exactly!!!! Where can you get real black lug nuts that are not painted?
Old 07-09-2015, 06:51 AM
b1adesofcha0s
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for following up on this issue. I ordered the EYT option on my 2016 so it will be good to make sure they deliver what they promised.
Old 07-09-2015, 07:21 AM
GOLD72
Race Director

Received 1,122 Likes on 727 Posts

Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack
If the chrome bar was to be deleted as part of an option package, it makes no sense that they would put it on the car in the first place.
Old 07-09-2015, 07:59 AM
grandpawmoses
Race Director

Received 95 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by mpuzach
Interesting. This is the first time I've heard that they would simply be removing the chrome bars. I've always assumed that they'd be using a unique grill part that included a black bar in place of the chrome one. If all they're doing is removing the chrome, anyone else who wants the same look should be able to do the same thing. Am I missing something here?
I agree. If they are going to cover the chrome bar, it would be easier to do before installing it. If they are going to replace it with a black bar, my understanding is that the grill has to come off to remove the chrome bar.
I hate to be one to say it but it sounds like an option first year F U.
Hoping the fix won't delay shipments.
(GM should have just offered Z06 grills as an option)
Old 07-09-2015, 08:32 AM
Bucknut2006
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 66 Likes on 54 Posts

I don't see why the would fully assemble a car to take it apart to replace the chrome strip.

Many of us have swapped out the grill for the Z06 version. If it was as easy as popping the chrome strip off, I'm sure it would have surfaced by now. Additionally, doesn't matter how good/careful you are, the first time the bumper goes on should be the best fit. Even the best trained person would take 30 minutes to do a swap and it still takes some tugging and pulling.
Old 07-09-2015, 08:35 AM
sycraft
Burning Brakes

Received 85 Likes on 67 Posts

Looked at the catalog, none of the EYT grills have a price associated with them yet...but there are part numbers. one is without Camera and one is with camera
Attached Images   

Get notified of new replies

To 2016 EYT -- chrome bar delete

Old 07-09-2015, 08:41 AM
sanantguy
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Why is this a concern?

Has anyone's car been delivered incorrectly?..........No

So basically people are complaining about something that isn't a mistake yet.

Sure, I ordered the carbon flash package too, I'll worry about it when the car arrives not as expected.

Or I can drive myself to a premature heart attack.
Old 07-09-2015, 09:05 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,934 Likes on 4,814 Posts

Oh my shut the line down until this chrome bar mystery is solved. Come on this forum is getting a bit ridiculous, it certainly is drifting away from a Corvette enthusiasts one.
I understand the owners who do not want the chrome bar but why the hoopla over a problem that really does not yet exist.
Old 07-09-2015, 09:10 AM
alienranch
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 112 Likes on 69 Posts

Time will tell

Quick Reply: 2016 EYT -- chrome bar delete