C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Horrible Bose stereo - is there anything we can do?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2015, 02:09 PM
ManuelCarrillo3
CorvetteForum Editor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by thrilled
the only think i listen to is the exhaust and howard stern.don't believe i've listened to any music.the radio works ok for me.
baba booey!!
Old 07-09-2015, 02:19 PM
ratman6161
Pro

Received 122 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by TEXHAWK0
Sound system is better than my ears can tell any difference..

It's like I always say about my point and shoot camera or my cell phone photos: "A better camera is not going to make me any better a photographer". Likewise a more expensive audio system in my C7 isn't going to make my ears any better (or my brain either)
Old 07-09-2015, 02:23 PM
AFVETTE
Team Owner

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

I'd suggest just ripping it out and building one from scratch. That way you'll be happy with your rolling audio chamber.
Old 07-09-2015, 03:37 PM
05XLRtoC7_San Diego
Burning Brakes

Received 231 Likes on 146 Posts

Wow- didn't realize this would be such an active thread.
Interesting to read everyone's comments.

I whole-heatedly agree that listening to the NPP is better than any stereo.
However, it's an enriching experience to hear the exhaust + great music.

My initial reason for starting this thread was that the 9 speaker Bose stereo in my XLR sounds fantastic. It doesn't sound as good in my C7.
Very strange that both cars are made by GM, same head-unit and speaker manufacturer, same size interior, both are convertibles (in my case).

Aside from the iPad and portable amp route (which sounds great, but I like to be able to change songs)- is there a way to further adjust our current set-up?
We have 10 speakers, so that should be more than enough. It's just getting the EQ to sound more natural.
I basically have to crank the volume up to 70% just to hear any richness and midrange at all, but then the bass is embarrassingly loud. The music sounds very hollow if you turn the bass down.

If only GM or a vendor would offer a downloadable EQ app. I'd glad pay $$$ for it.
My $15 Skullcandy earbuds from Target deliver better sound quality than what is in my $65k car. I know that's not an apples to apples comparison, but everything else in the C7 is WORLD CLASS. The stereo should be too. GM could get away with this when the Vette was $35-50k. When you price the vehicle higher, all of the components should be at that level.
Old 07-09-2015, 03:42 PM
J_Vette_Manuel
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Wow... The C7's radio sounds great for me. I listen to a lot of different music and often at high levels. This stereo was better than my C6s, my 11' Mustang w/ the premium sound, My Acura TL w/ ELS, my Infiniti with Bose... What the hell else more can you expect? ****, I must be deaf and retarded. It kicks ***, as a matter of fact I get a lot of people that will comment on how good it sounds.... Maybe it is the poor music some of you are listening too! LOL.

I suppose this is all subjective! Stinks that it isn't an easy fix for those that aren't satisfied.
Old 07-09-2015, 03:51 PM
10mm_
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by 05XLRtoC7_San Diego
As a recent purchaser of a 2015 2LT C7 convertible, I'm thrilled with everything except the Bose stereo.

In general, I know a lot of you have bashed Bose- especially the lows. However, the 9 speaker Bose stereo on my 2005 Cadillac XLR sounds FANTASTIC. The bass, treble, and mid-range are rich, crisp, full, and clear. It just sounds amazing top up and top down whether I play CD, iPod, or radio. The sound quality is incredible on low volume and high volume.

When test-driving the C7, I didn't even bother cranking up the radio because I assumed that it would be as good (if not better) than the XLR.

I just don't understand how an expensive car with 10 speakers and Active Sound Management Technology can sound worse than a 1988 Toyota Corolla?!

I've tried all 3 settings (Centerpoint, Driver, and Normal) and have tinkered with the limited EQ, but the sound just is very compressed, muddy, and hollow. The bass is too boomy, even at low settings.

From the threads I've read on here, it seems like each speaker has its own amp, and the headunit has proprietary cables- so it's pretty much impossible to mess with it.
Have seen some threads where FatMat helped a bit with the boomy sound of the rear bass box. Does this help in the convertible?

Has anyone come across a cost-effective way to improve the sound?
Seems a bit extreme to replace the head-unit just to add an amp and replace the speakers.

It would be nice if GM offered a downloadable amp that would allow more adjustments to the EQ/tone.

And yes, I do realize I can turn down the volume and just enjoy the exhaust note. I primarily leave it in "track mode" for that reason.
I find it staggering that you have a problem with the radio in a C7. I have a 1LT and this is hands down the best radio I have ever heard in a car. Ever. It's terrifically loud and super clear with great bass.

I have no idea how someone could want more from a factory radio. Even my boss who is an audiophile loved it.
Old 07-09-2015, 04:51 PM
aj98
Melting Slicks

Received 168 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by 05XLRtoC7_San Diego
I'm using the SD Card reader- most files are between 192-320 kbps

Was just tinkering with it on my way to lunch, and the sound quality is less muddy if you put the mid-range and bass below the half-way point.

Yeah, no problems listening to talk radio, like Howard Stern
To me, things start sounding tinny/AM radio-ish at about 150k.

So..when copying to my iPod (classic), I use CD quality AIFF/ variable rate lossless.
The resulting track rates vary between 950-1200k. About 4x what you are recording.

I would suggest if your source files were better, your system would sound better as well.

Last edited by aj98; 07-09-2015 at 04:59 PM.
Old 07-09-2015, 07:07 PM
gonagin1
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Totally get what you are saying - I've had over 19 total Vette's and most recent - 2010, 2012 Grand Sports 3lt, 2014 3lt, 2015 z51 3lt.

This by far is the worst stereo of all - I just had it in for the same reason - volume half up on IPhone 6 plus sounds like crap. I've never had to turn the volume half up to hear a normal level.

They updated it and it sounds a little bit better, make sure if you are using usb cord w/Apple IPhone to only use apple no after market, makes a difference. Bulletin out on that.

I'm going to jack it up since it's been reported and if it blows then it's on their dime, not mine.

Take it in for the update, hopefully that will help..
Old 07-09-2015, 07:43 PM
sTz
Le Mans Master

Received 2,434 Likes on 1,603 Posts

Maybe it isn't a hardware issue, but a software problem... I have UConnect on another vehicle, which has generated 4 software updates over the past year. Each update ultimately affected sound output. Fortunately the updates were accessible via the Uconnect site, downloaded to a thumb drive, and transferred to the HU via the USB port. Very convienent as no visits to the dealership were required.

Edit: I haven't checked yet, but maybe GM has a similar set-up...

Last edited by sTz; 07-09-2015 at 07:46 PM.
Old 07-09-2015, 08:09 PM
tail_lights
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 210 Posts

My Stingray had the upgraded Bose and the bass, although more prominent, was muddy and overpowering. My Z06 had just the base stereo and I thought it had more of a flat response regarding bass vs. mid and treble. It was more than I was expecting and I am somewhat of an audiophile.
Old 07-09-2015, 08:44 PM
C7-Beast
Safety Car

Received 331 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by STStingray
Maybe it isn't a hardware issue, but a software problem... I have UConnect on another vehicle, which has generated 4 software updates over the past year. Each update ultimately affected sound output. Fortunately the updates were accessible via the Uconnect site, downloaded to a thumb drive, and transferred to the HU via the USB port. Very convienent as no visits to the dealership were required.

Edit: I haven't checked yet, but maybe GM has a similar set-up...
It's both. The Bose speaker cones are junk as are the 1 ohm amps that power them. I've seen the drivers and they are the cheapest pieces of junk I have seen. When somone comes up with a reasonable solution to bypass the Bose amps, I'd swap speaker's in a minute.

The only sub solution I found is way to expensive in my opinion for what it is.

I stopped even listening to music in my C7. I just listen to the exhaust. Much better sound quality.
Old 07-09-2015, 11:53 PM
Florida2000
Pro

Received 93 Likes on 51 Posts

I am generally not a fan of Bose...overpriced, over hyped - I used to own a pair of Bose 901's back in the day which I paid WAY too much for.

I have owned a C5 (2000), C6 GS (2010) and a 2006 Audi A6 with Bose premium sound...the C7 Bose system blows them all away. It cranks and is crystal clear - sound source is mostly an iPod. Base is great but really depends on the track and how much sub-frequencies are in the track.

As for settings treble/mid/bass are slightly right, bass a tick more than treble. Balance/Fader dead center. Center, normal, drive modes dont make any difference in sound quality just direction.

Something does not sound right with yours. Have a dealer check it out or go and/or have a listen to another C7 in a showroom.
Old 07-10-2015, 12:25 AM
r75vet
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Horrible Bose stereo - is there anything we can do?

Treble plus one
Mid plus one
Bass neutral

Sound source quality makes a huge difference. I am very happy with the system. The music I listen too sounds incredible. Even most XM songs sound very nice but I can tell a lower quality recording instantly.

2015 Convertible Stingray 3lt
Old 07-10-2015, 07:06 AM
C7-Beast
Safety Car

Originally Posted by r75vet
Even most XM songs sound very nice but I can tell a lower quality recording instantly
If I were you I'd see a hearing doctor at once. If you think XM sounds "fine" you either have a hearing problem or something else is wrong.

XM is so compressed, AM radio sounds better. Bose must be nearly giving their systems to GM. I have had many cars over the years and every car that came with Bose sucked. Even my 2014 Subaru has much better sound than the C7.

Bose plays with the frequencies and over emphasizes the mid's. There is basically no high end and the lows are muddy.

If you like the Bose system, great but most who enjoy quality music and still have full hearing function, despise the Blose system in the C7.

Bose...."Better sound through marketing!"...."No highs, no lows, must be Bose"
Old 07-10-2015, 07:39 AM
Steve2150
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I had a 2011 1lt coupe and the base stereo non bose was horrible, on my 2013 1lt grand sport which was produced the last weeks of production run the base stereo also non bose was really good. On my 2015 2lt the bose is better then my 2013 was and it does sound good. Do like the normal setting better then the centerpoint.
Old 07-10-2015, 08:16 AM
r75vet
Instructor

[/QUOTE]Do like the normal setting better then the centerpoint.[/QUOTE]

Old 07-10-2015, 08:45 AM
1SG_Ret
Melting Slicks

Received 478 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by vettman96
In 1968 I slept 75 meters away from a battery of 175mm guns on hill 55 for a month, the Bose stereo sounds great to me.
8' Towed Asst Gunner guy here. Stereo sounds fine to me also. Bose has never been the audiophile's stereo of choice, much more main stream appeal with a thumping bass and a flat middle. For a home stereo you can do much better than a Bose, however compared to any other car stereos I've heard (stock) the Bose sounds great IMO.

I have a Harman Kardon in a Mini F56 and for the $750 upcharge to order it, the Bose sounds far superior.

Between the tire rumble, and the ambient traffic noise having anything better would be a waste IMO unless one is trying to run a "boom box" car to share their music with everyone within ear-shot (in which case "Miracle Ear" i going to love you).

Get notified of new replies

To Horrible Bose stereo - is there anything we can do?

Old 07-10-2015, 08:49 AM
r75vet
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mike02Z
If I were you I'd see a hearing doctor at once. If you think XM sounds "fine" you either have a hearing problem or something else is wrong.

XM is so compressed, AM radio sounds better. Bose must be nearly giving their systems to GM. I have had many cars over the years and every car that came with Bose sucked. Even my 2014 Subaru has much better sound than the C7.

Bose plays with the frequencies and over emphasizes the mid's. There is basically no high end and the lows are muddy.

If you like the Bose system, great but most who enjoy quality music and still have full hearing function, despise the Blose system in the C7.

Bose...."Better sound through marketing!"...."No highs, no lows, must be Bose"
Maybe your the one with a hearing issue since your hearing leaves you so unhappy. You definitely seem to have bought into the anti Bose marketing slogans. Sounds to me like you should take your "2014 Subaru" for a very long ride and enjoy your am radio.
Old 07-10-2015, 11:28 AM
C7-Beast
Safety Car

Originally Posted by r75vet
Maybe your the one with a hearing issue since your hearing leaves you so unhappy. You definitely seem to have bought into the anti Bose marketing slogans. Sounds to me like you should take your "2014 Subaru" for a very long ride and enjoy your am radio.
You're right. I have hated Bose for years. I am an audiophile at home and have built mutiple systems over the years. I know what good sound is. Read about Bose, at least what you can find since most Bose technology is proprietary. Why cover up what your doing?

Those Bose home theater setups are a pure rip off. Yes, I'm a Bose hater because their systems sound like *** and because they rip off the amercan public with their BS marketing.

But hey, you like it so that's all that should matter to you.

It's pure crap to anyone who values clear, none equalized music with all frequencies flat or close to flat.

Here are some pictures of my 08 build. Why would I do this to a brand new car if Bose sounded acceptable to me??

http://s46.photobucket.com/user/jneo...orvette/Stereo

Last edited by C7-Beast; 07-10-2015 at 11:32 AM.
Old 07-10-2015, 11:39 AM
Kracka
Le Mans Master

Received 5,756 Likes on 2,940 Posts

Any audiophiles out there want to post up pictures of their recommended EQ settings? I have the 1LT 9-speaker system and I'll adjust it one day to the point where I think it sounds decent, then the next day I think it sounds like garbage again. I'm typically listening to music either over FM or XM.

Quick Reply: Horrible Bose stereo - is there anything we can do?