Sponsored by:

A8 - Anyone NOT have trouble?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2015, 01:22 PM
Flame Red
Le Mans Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 660 Posts

Originally Posted by Scruff Vette
Not ready for primetime would be GM releasing it into production too soon, resulting in issues like poor driveabiltiy under 8 mph, overheating when pushed in high performance driving, having dealers perform re-flashes, etc.
I was on the fence if I wanted to get a 14, or wait for the 15 because of the A8. Got a 15 - Big mistake. My '15 A8 almost got lemoned because of all the issues. Never be a beta tester during the first year for any new car models. Made the same mistake with Acura too. I guess I'll never learn.

Now that being said, lots of people on here never had any shift issues with their '15 A8. Guess they are lucky.

Last edited by Flame Red; 06-28-2015 at 01:24 PM.
Old 06-28-2015, 01:23 PM
dan george
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dan george
No problems at all with mine...5K miles...4 months old. In fact, I thought long and hard about getting the A8 as my first 2 vettes were manual. I find the A8 amazing....an absolute "hoot" to drive as its faster than the manual (regardless of the driver's skill set) and add's a layer of additional confidence when pushing the car on the open road. I am particularly enamored and down right thrilled about the A8's performance shift mode as it really takes advantage of the C7's torque and HP straight through the gear ladder. Mind you, I never tracked the car and don't intend to as I realize that all auto's tend to overheat when tracked as opposed to manual tranny's. Besides, if something does go wrong with my A8, I have over 4 years and over 90K miles of standard warranty coverage so I'll just have it fixed.

BTW....I would try to get a 2015 as I believe the 2016 warranty has been significantly reduced...
Old 06-28-2015, 01:36 PM
OrioleFan
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 33 Posts

I'm sure there are people out there who have not had problems with this transmission. The blanket question of if "anyone" has not had problems is the wrong way to think about this. Some will have problems and some won't.

The bottom line is this is a newly developed transmission. It's bound to have some bugs, quirks, and items Chevy is going to have to fix or tune to make it just right. Including the overheating which still baffles me. Also, this is a complicated transmission, lots of gears, modes, technology, etc went into it. This is good and bad for all the aforementioned reasons.

You just have to ask yourself if this is what you want to deal with. For me, I thought about it and went the other direction and got the M7. No issues there, no overheating, etc.... This gave me peace of mind.

The fact you're asking if anyone has not had problems leads me to think it is of great concern to you, and rightfully so.

Good luck.
Old 06-28-2015, 01:44 PM
Always Red Dave
Le Mans Master

Received 3,136 Likes on 1,742 Posts
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Unmodified

OrioleFan good points and noticed we both joined the forum the same month and year cant wait to get the the 10 year yellow member logo on my avatar in a few months. From a Football Patriots Fan!
Old 06-28-2015, 02:37 PM
carpe dm
Le Mans Master

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Karlba
had mine since end of april, right at 3k miles, run back roads as hard as sight distances allow (usually around dbl suggested corner speeds ) no issues with over heating in Texas so far.
Old 06-28-2015, 03:03 PM
rothchilds
Melting Slicks

Received 49 Likes on 37 Posts

9k on mine since I bought in Jan this year. Love it, no problems, just quirks as have been fully expressed by others already. I don't track my car, so the potential overheating is a non-issue for me.
Old 06-28-2015, 03:06 PM
orwollma
Burning Brakes

Received 509 Likes on 313 Posts

Bought April 6th and now have about 2,100 miles on including some WOT performance shifts. Haven't experienced any of the clunky downshifts or other low-speed problems. No overheating, either.
Old 06-28-2015, 03:11 PM
iclick
Melting Slicks

Received 618 Likes on 420 Posts

I already commented on the other thread but I'll pipe in again. Based on five months with my A8 I would have to say that although it has exhibited a few minor quirks, none would make me decide against it if the decision were to be made again. Keep in mind that my last eight cars over 35 years have been manuals and that I had qualms about even buying a slushbox, but decided to try something different for a change. A few notes:

1. At about two months old, on three occasions in as many days it failed to shift into Reverse from Park when cold. The shift lever moved as expected but it did not engage Reverse, and while in this position the "R" on the DIC flashed about once or twice per second. After shifting to Neutral and back to Reverse it reverted to normal behavior and it never threw any codes. A discussion ensued with the SM of a local dealer who specializes in Corvettes and it was decided that it might be an "adaptive learning" quirk, but it quit doing it before I could attempt a TCM reflash. I've never heard of anyone else reporting this quirk.

2. On two occasions it has downshifted harder than normal from 2>1, as many have observed, but it has not done this in a couple of months. Adaptive learning again?

3. For the first few hundred miles it would flare a bit on the first 1>2 shift when cold, but this has mostly gone away.

4. Tranny OT has always stayed well below engine OT (generally <200°), but this car will never see a track, so that's not an issue.

Again, I wouldn't categorize any of these quirks as deal-breakers for me, not even close, even as a die-hard manual lover. It's actually growing on me.

Last edited by iclick; 06-28-2015 at 03:17 PM.
Old 06-28-2015, 03:14 PM
BIG Dave
Le Mans Master

Received 4,684 Likes on 1,862 Posts

The title of the thread suggests that out of the 34K Corvettes produced in 2015, the 23K that opted for the 8 Speed Auto have problems. Farthest thing from the truth!
Old 06-28-2015, 03:15 PM
rmorin1249
Le Mans Master

Received 1,739 Likes on 1,175 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16,'18

Originally Posted by iclick
Based on five months with my A8 I would have to say that although it has exhibited a few minor quirks, none would make me decide against it if the decision were to be made again. Keep in mind that my last eight cars over 35 years have been manuals and that I had qualms about even buying a slushbox, but decided to try something different for a change. A few notes:

1. At about two months old, on three occasions in as many days it failed to shift into Reverse from Park when cold. The shift lever moved as expected but it did not engage Reverse, and while in this position the "R" on the DIC flashed about once or twice per second. After shifting to Neutral and back to Reverse it reverted to normal behavior and it never threw any codes. A discussion ensued with the SM of a local dealer who specializes in Corvettes and it was decided that it might be an "adaptive learning" quirk, but it quit doing it before I could attempt a TCM reflash. I've never heard of anyone else reporting this quirk.

2. On two occasions it has downshifted harder than normal from 2>1, as many have observed, but it has not done this in a couple of months. Adaptive learning again?

3. For the first few hundred miles it would flare a bit on the first 1>2 shift when cold, but this has mostly gone away.

4. Tranny OT has always stayed well below engine OT (generally <200°), but this car will never see a track, so that's not an issue.

Again, I wouldn't categorize any of these quirks as deal-breakers for me, not even close, even as a die-hard manual lover. It's actually growing on me.
I'm hoping your experience is typical of mosr A8 owners and those with issues are the exception. Is your car a base or a Z51? Like yours my car will likely never be tracked.
Old 06-28-2015, 03:24 PM
iclick
Melting Slicks

Received 618 Likes on 420 Posts

Originally Posted by rmorin1249
I'm hoping your experience is typical of mosr A8 owners and those with issues are the exception. Is your car a base or a Z51? Like yours my car will likely never be tracked.
It's a base with ZF1. I would not hesitate to recommend the A8 based on my experiences so far. The biggest drawback for me is the cost.

Last edited by iclick; 06-28-2015 at 03:28 PM.
Old 06-28-2015, 04:29 PM
rstrait
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Have had no problems with my 2015 Z51 A8. Haven't tracked it but I don't hesitate to run it hard every now and then when conditions permit. No problems to this point at about 2K miles.
Old 06-28-2015, 04:40 PM
C5A
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Seven months and over 5K miles on my 2015 A8 Coupe with no transmission related problem. It shifts smooth and quiet. Still cannot get Pandora to work though.
Old 06-28-2015, 05:46 PM
OrioleFan
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Always Red Dave
OrioleFan good points and noticed we both joined the forum the same month and year cant wait to get the the 10 year yellow member logo on my avatar in a few months. From a Football Patriots Fan!
Patriots Fan? Yuck!

The only teams I hate more in professional sports are the Steelers and the Yankees.

At least you're a Corvette fan.
Old 06-28-2015, 07:57 PM
Scruff Vette
Safety Car

Received 871 Likes on 398 Posts

Originally Posted by OrioleFan
The only teams I hate more in professional sports are the Steelers and the Yankees.
Uh oh...
Old 06-28-2015, 08:15 PM
Fatcatrc
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No problems for about 6K miles. Some slow speed quirks. Otherwise an excellent transmission. I also drive a Porsche Macan w PDK transmission. It has similar low speed known problems. All in the programing I think.
Old 06-28-2015, 11:15 PM
Trihawk
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

I've been on the fence about upgrading from my '08 to a 2015 C7 coupe for a few weeks now. Also, really wanted to go with the A8 trans this time as this could very well be my last Vette for a long time, (my wife says she's heard this before..)

After lurking on the C7 Gen sub-forum for a while I'm really becoming concerned that the A8 is not ready for prime time. Yikes, I would be pizzed as hell if my new Corvette had trans issues out of the gate.

Looking ot hear from A8 owners who have some miles on their cars and NOT had a problem.
Short of a properly conducted poll, and not just individual anecdotes, we can't have any idea of the incidence of problems with the A8. So here is another perhaps useless anecdote: I had three rather violent shifts between 1 and 2 as others have described in the first 3,000 miles, and none since (now I am at 14k+). I assume the adaptive learning worked.

I have read all of these A8 threads with great interest, and seen lots of advice to race into the dealer for a reflash. Instead, I might suggest to those who have experienced this to give it some miles and let the learning process work itself out. Just my 2 cents, I am no expert. Thanks

Get notified of new replies

To A8 - Anyone NOT have trouble?

Old 06-28-2015, 11:25 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

A8s are actually available in a lot of cars/trucks now but GM's are the ones that seem to have the most complaints. I have an A8 in my 14 Durango Citadel and it works perfect. It does "go thru the gears" but it is smooth. Hearing about the A8 overheating is also a concern, track driving or not. Most Corvette owners never see near the top potential of the car even on a track. Climbing up a 7-10% mountain grade in 100 degree weather can be just as tough on a car keeping cool.

Hopefully GM does fix these potential issues before I pull the trigger on a C7.
Old 06-28-2015, 11:28 PM
10mm_
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

I've been on the fence about upgrading from my '08 to a 2015 C7 coupe for a few weeks now. Also, really wanted to go with the A8 trans this time as this could very well be my last Vette for a long time, (my wife says she's heard this before..)

After lurking on the C7 Gen sub-forum for a while I'm really becoming concerned that the A8 is not ready for prime time. Yikes, I would be pizzed as hell if my new Corvette had trans issues out of the gate.

Looking ot hear from A8 owners who have some miles on their cars and NOT had a problem.
I love mine, I had the hard 1-2 when cold shift but that went away after a few hundred miles (like GM said it would). It's a beast on the drag strip and its awesome for daily driving. No complaints from me.
Old 06-28-2015, 11:41 PM
vettekat2007
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 31 Posts

2015 Z51 with 3,000 miles. Built Sept. 2014. I love my A8. I had a C6 with the A6 and ALWAYS used the paddles. Tried doing the same with my A8 and then also decided to try it in fully automatic mode for awhile. I now really like the way it performs in full automatic mode. Wide open upshifts must be experienced! The sound alone is worth it. I also experienced the start up issues and cold shifting issues that others have mentioned but those have pretty much gone away as the miles went by. This A8 is a complicated beast and an engineering marvel as far as I am concerned. The only negative is that they did not see fit to allow the A8 to NOT go into V4 mode when in fully automatic shifting mode. I hate the constant change in exhaust sound when it changes back and forth between V8 and V4 modes.

Quick Reply: A8 - Anyone NOT have trouble?