Sponsored by:

2016 Constraints....AGAIN!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2015, 12:36 PM
LIStingray
Melting Slicks

Received 461 Likes on 284 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay_Davis
I understand the point about the CAFE standards, but do the math. What's the gas mileage difference between a Z51 and non-Z51 car? How many cars are we talking about between the 50% constraint its been on and, let's say, 80% if it wasn't? Now how does that number compare to the total number of cars GM produces?

Won't even be noticeable. So if they really are doing because of the CAFE limits, someone at GM hasn't done the math.
That is where you are 100% wrong Someone at GM has done the math, and the difference between Z51 and non-Z51 fuel economy for CAFE means no more than 40% of all C7's (including Z06) for 2016 can be Z51's.
With CAFE fines being $55 per vehicle sold (GM sold 3.2 million in 2014) for every 1/10 mpg the automaker misses CAFE by, each 1/10 mpg GM is off will cost it $170 million.
Old 06-27-2015, 12:37 PM
slesher
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike02Z
If you want to avoid the frustration of the constraint issues there are 4 ways to avoid/minimize it.

1.) Order through Kerbeck. They get more allocations than anyone.
2.) Order through MacMulkin.
3.) Speak to Mike Furman at Criswell
4.) Buy off one of the above dealers lots once they start rolling in. The big 3 will have plenty of Z51's on their lots.

None of these dealers require you to visit if you live far away. It can all be done via email/fax.
Bingo! Bought mine from Kerbeck over the phone with no hassle. In fact my biggest issue was which color to pick.

Knowing this I'll never bother with local dealers ever again. Life is too short to be dealing with this silliness.
Old 06-27-2015, 12:39 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

The whole allocation process needs to go out the window. If some small dealer has 5 buyers that want to buy a Corvette then they should be able to order 5 Corvettes.
Old 06-27-2015, 12:52 PM
OldJedi
Drifting

Received 615 Likes on 336 Posts

Dave, thanks for your input but I am not sure how Z51 and non Z51's have an effect on CAFE standards. If 100% were all Z51 or all were non Z51 the rated EPA MPG would be the same for both models and would have no effect on CAFE standards. The published EPA gas milage for both is the same.

Also the constraints for CF is way over blown in my opinion. I was going to order a CF dash in my 2015 Z51, a $1000.00 option. It was on constraint with unknown availability. Rather than delay the order I took it off and I ordered it over the counter at a local Chevy dealer for $525.00. The dash arrived a week later, six weeks before the car at half the price. Numerous others on this forum did the exact same thing ordering it over the counter with no delay even though it was constraint. I have no idea why GM would have parts on constraint for paid ordered cars when the part is available to order over the counter.

I certainly understand the OP's post and his frustration but I am not sure that I understand your explanation.
Old 06-27-2015, 01:08 PM
VINDIC8R
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by phileaglesfan
The whole allocation process needs to go out the window. If some small dealer has 5 buyers that want to buy a Corvette then they should be able to order 5 Corvettes.
AGREED!

It looks like GM does not care about retail customers when they go for this farce called allocation.

My wife drives a Nissan. I was talking to the sales folks about what it takes to buy a GT-R. They said simply, that I can't. Well, not from them anyways. I would have to deal with a dealer in the big city.

When did it stop being about the final customer - the driver - the one doling out the moolah?

Old 06-27-2015, 01:32 PM
Dave@Ciocca
Platinum Supporting Dealership

Received 1,656 Likes on 393 Posts

Originally Posted by OldJedi
Dave, thanks for your input but I am not sure how Z51 and non Z51's have an effect on CAFE standards. If 100% were all Z51 or all were non Z51 the rated EPA MPG would be the same for both models and would have no effect on CAFE standards. The published EPA gas milage for both is the same.

Also the constraints for CF is way over blown in my opinion. I was going to order a CF dash in my 2015 Z51, a $1000.00 option. It was on constraint with unknown availability. Rather than delay the order I took it off and I ordered it over the counter at a local Chevy dealer for $525.00. The dash arrived a week later, six weeks before the car at half the price. Numerous others on this forum did the exact same thing ordering it over the counter with no delay even though it was constraint. I have no idea why GM would have parts on constraint for paid ordered cars when the part is available to order over the counter.

I certainly understand the OP's post and his frustration but I am not sure that I understand your explanation.
The published EPA average is based on a planned sales forecast. They can publish the same EPA for both based on total sales, but too many Z51 would put them up to the next MPG and over what they published with the EPA.

Dave
Old 06-27-2015, 01:35 PM
Dave@Ciocca
Platinum Supporting Dealership

Received 1,656 Likes on 393 Posts

It actually used to be that way, but when a car got hot dealers would simply place sold order with bogus names and then when it came in they would say that the customer backed out and then put it on their showroom floor.

Don't blame GM for what the dealers do. Every dealer knows what Corvettes (or any other model) they are going to get month to month and pretty much what they are going to get for the year. There are no surprises.

Dave
Old 06-27-2015, 01:53 PM
Walt White Coupe
Race Director

Received 2,239 Likes on 1,149 Posts

Dave,

If both cars, the Z51 and Base have the same EPA mileage rating as OldJedi stated , how can it matter how many either of those cars are sold as it relates to CAFE? Sounds like you are grasping at straws to bolster your earlier comments.

The published EPA average is based on a planned sales forecast

What does that mean?

From: http://www.epa.gov/fueleconomy/regulations.htm#test

Tests are conducted in a laboratory by operating vehicles on a dynamometer. EPA administers the testing program that generates the fuel economy data.

It surely has nothing to do with a sales forecast?
Old 06-27-2015, 04:32 PM
laborsmith
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

FWIW, I agree with Dave that CAFE affects the regular vs the Z51 mix. I also agree that GM will only admit in litigation where a judge requires an answer and in this litigious America that ain't going to happen. The lawsuit might but not the requirement to answer.

Allocation process has been the subject of numerous threads on this Forum. I myself have proposed a couple of alternatives but once I am aware of the fault in my reasoning I have abandoned them. The allocation process is based on what lawyers have concluded is the most court setting defendable approach to product distribution.

Laborsmith
Old 06-27-2015, 04:43 PM
mpuzach
Race Director

Received 1,190 Likes on 594 Posts

While I certainly understand the OP's frustration over the constraints, anyone who talks about giving up on a C7 just because their order didn't get picked up immediately must not want one very much. I'm also curious as to the reasoning for not wanting to work with a high-volume dealer who could get the car quickly; the big forum dealers have stellar reputations here. Sorry OP - backing out just doesn't make sense to me.
Old 06-27-2015, 05:54 PM
Patman
Race Director

Received 1,920 Likes on 1,192 Posts

Originally Posted by mpuzach
While I certainly understand the OP's frustration over the constraints, anyone who talks about giving up on a C7 just because their order didn't get picked up immediately must not want one very much. I'm also curious as to the reasoning for not wanting to work with a high-volume dealer who could get the car quickly; the big forum dealers have stellar reputations here. Sorry OP - backing out just doesn't make sense to me.
Sometimes people just say enough is enough, no matter how bad they want it though. I have a friend who just picked up his C7 a few weeks ago, after an agonizing ELEVEN MONTH WAIT from order to delivery! That's the kind of BS we have to deal with up here in Canada at a lot of dealers, and it's just plain wrong. He almost gave up on his order a few times, and I wouldn't have blamed him for doing so.
Old 06-27-2015, 06:01 PM
mdiiulio
Burning Brakes

Received 185 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by C7Jake
2016 Model Year Chevrolet Corvette Constraint Report – June 18, 2015

TPW Constraint # Option/Model Code Description % of Nat Alloc Qty Comment
8/3/15 268 Z51 Performance Pkg 40% Material Restriction/Entire Model Year
8/3/15 269 C2Q Body Color/Transparent Roof Panel Pkg 34% Supplier restriction/Greater than 4 weeks
8/3/15 270 CFA Base Painted Roof Panel 34% Supplier restriction/Greater than 4 weeks
8/3/15 272 G1E Long Beach Red Met 0% Startup restriction/Less than 4 weeks
8/3/15 336 GC6 Corvette Racing Yellow 11% Startup restriction/Less than 4 weeks
8/3/15 628 B92/GXH CF Hood Insert with Night Race Blue 0% Eng validation/Greater than 4 weeks
8/3/15 625 EFY/GC6 Ext Trim with Corvette Racing Yellow 0% Eng validation/Greater than 4 weeks
Speculation only but it looks like Night Race Blue may be on the outs next year with constraints already starting on it. Glad I got mine

Also, on topic, the new ATS-V is no slouch. Honestly this is one of the biggest first world problems you can have. ATS-V or a Vette... ouch, life it tough. I saw a couple of the ATS-V's down in Long Beach at the Gran Prix there and they are NICE! They definitely make my short list if I ever need to get some back seats.

Last edited by mdiiulio; 06-27-2015 at 06:06 PM.
Old 06-27-2015, 06:10 PM
markk1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RedC7AZ
No, demand was 53% for the Z51 Option.
My opinion is that demand was not 53%, but supply was. Supply is limited by constraints not demand...hence my original order cancellation for a Z51 and order with a dealer that could get Z51 allocations.
Old 06-27-2015, 08:55 PM
RedC7AZ
Race Director

Received 534 Likes on 334 Posts

Originally Posted by markk1
My opinion is that demand was not 53%, but supply was. Supply is limited by constraints not demand...hence my original order cancellation for a Z51 and order with a dealer that could get Z51 allocations.
True. Supply did not equal demand. There were several posts after my post, and Kerbeck confirmed demand for the Z51 option was higher than the actual number produced (supply).
Old 06-27-2015, 09:12 PM
RUBYREDVET
Race Director

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Agreed,

Some large dealers have tons of vettes on the ground (unsold) while a small local dealer can't get a SOLD order built until they earn an allocation.........
Old 06-27-2015, 10:02 PM
mpuzach
Race Director

Received 1,190 Likes on 594 Posts

Originally Posted by Patman
Sometimes people just say enough is enough, no matter how bad they want it though. I have a friend who just picked up his C7 a few weeks ago, after an agonizing ELEVEN MONTH WAIT from order to delivery! That's the kind of BS we have to deal with up here in Canada at a lot of dealers, and it's just plain wrong. He almost gave up on his order a few times, and I wouldn't have blamed him for doing so.
I'm in complete agreement with you. The OP, however, is already disgusted and it's only been one day.
Old 06-28-2015, 02:04 AM
Bob Paris
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,368 Likes on 1,061 Posts

QUOTE: NOTE: I do not want to deal with the larger forum dealers whom may not have constraint issues because of their size.

Huh? There is a good reason why forum dealers are large - it is because they can get the car that the customer wants. Don't cut off your nose to spite your face. Reminds me of when my parents had a negative experience trying to buy a Honda Accord in 1988. My dad was ranting about being unable to make a deal on the car and I asked him if his objective was to purchase an automobile or critique the retail automobile establishment. He always encouraged me to "keep my eye on the ball" so I went out the next night and got the vehicle they wanted at the price they wanted to pay. They were thrilled and I thanked my dad for teaching me to stay focused on the task at hand, even though he chose to ignore his own lesson.

Get notified of new replies

To 2016 Constraints....AGAIN!!!!!

Old 06-28-2015, 08:21 AM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,186 Likes on 1,337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15- '16-'17-‘18-‘19-'20-'21
NCM Lifetime Member

Sounds like an early case of buyers remorse, pre purchase. ;-)
Old 06-28-2015, 08:35 AM
RedC7AZ
Race Director

Received 534 Likes on 334 Posts

It sounds like you'd regret it if you settled for an ATS-V over the Stingray.
Old 06-28-2015, 12:38 PM
capecodvette
Drifting

Received 180 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by ENCT
My wife was looking at the ATS V and my dealer said they have the same allocation process so We walked away. I did it for my C7 and Z06 but I am spent after those. It is frustrating to say the least.
Eric
My Cadillac dealer informed me they DO NOT have the allocation issues or process that Corvette has.

Quick Reply: 2016 Constraints....AGAIN!!!!!