Sponsored by:

Fuel economy-Tour vs Sport mode

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2015, 06:59 PM
janicept
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Fuel economy-Tour vs Sport mode

I recently post about how I was not as impressed with how the C7 drove compared to the C6 but I was driving in tour mode mainly. I though that tour mode would save on fuel economy and used sport mode kindof like I use to use my mild to wild switch. I decided to drive to and from work today in sport mode and it was much better - the same or a little better than the C6. I was very happy. I reset the trip meter to see how bad my fuel economy was going to be and to my surprise it was better.

Lifetime mileage about 10600, fuel economy driving mainly in tour mode 24.5, average speed 50.

Mainly driving home from work: about 35 miles, fuel economy in sport mode 26.3, average speed 53.

My drive is about 20 miles highway and I do tend to accelerate fast off a stop and zip around slow people on the highway. In theory there could be some 100+ mph going on. Does the improvement in fuel economy come from the car not taking as long to accelerate? I guess I will try track mode on Monday.
Old 06-27-2015, 10:46 AM
ratman6161
Pro

Received 122 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by janicept
I recently post about how I was not as impressed with how the C7 drove compared to the C6 but I was driving in tour mode mainly. I though that tour mode would save on fuel economy and used sport mode kindof like I use to use my mild to wild switch. I decided to drive to and from work today in sport mode and it was much better - the same or a little better than the C6. I was very happy. I reset the trip meter to see how bad my fuel economy was going to be and to my surprise it was better.

Lifetime mileage about 10600, fuel economy driving mainly in tour mode 24.5, average speed 50.

Mainly driving home from work: about 35 miles, fuel economy in sport mode 26.3, average speed 53.

My drive is about 20 miles highway and I do tend to accelerate fast off a stop and zip around slow people on the highway. In theory there could be some 100+ mph going on. Does the improvement in fuel economy come from the car not taking as long to accelerate? I guess I will try track mode on Monday.
Do you have a manual or automatic? Either way my theory is that cruising down the highway there should be no difference in fuel economy between touring and sport mode. A couple MPG + or - on the same route isn't that significant.

Also, if you have a manual, what gears are you using? I've got an M7 Z51 (speaking of which Z51's have slightly different gear ratios on the M7) and at the sorts of speeds you are going I will get better MPG's in 5th than in 6th (and 7th is not an option below Interstate Highway speeds).

If you are actually using 6th sometimes, it wouldn't be too surprising that you got better MPG on the run with a slightly higher speed. 6th is really too tall a gear for those speeds anyway and going a little faster is actually helpful. If you have a non-z51 M7 this situation is even worse because 5th - 7th are taller than in the Z51. Basically being in the best gear for the speed you are going will result in the best MPG.

I suspect the tour vs sport modes has nothing to do with it.
Old 06-27-2015, 11:30 AM
gpotski
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 119 Posts

I find that when I am in sport mode, the pedal seems to go to the floor easier.

Old 06-27-2015, 11:40 AM
nmvettec7
Safety Car

Received 850 Likes on 493 Posts

The only difference I can detect when dialing in Touring v Sport Mode is the change in the electronic steering. The Sport Mode is a stiffer steering in steering while, while the sport mode is a stiffer feel of the steering wheel.

If there is a difference between Touring and Sport other than the electronic steeing, I am not aware of it, nor can I personally feel or sense any other differenecs. Perhaps another CF member can advise on this.

From the telemetry on the C7 when cruising a highway or traveling on a road a longer distance I can clearly see the engine moving from V8 to V4 and switching back & forth.

Here in New Mexico since most of the long distance driving is on open roads, I have no trouble seeing an avg MPG of 27+.

So far I am pleased with the mileage this vehicle provides considering the upward potential of HP available.

Of course any mileage data is strictly based on the drivers style, speed, rpm's that the car is driven at (high v low), and acceleration habits.
Old 06-27-2015, 11:58 AM
Corgidog1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,523 Likes on 1,482 Posts

Interestingly I have yet to check my gas mileage-just don't care. I would not compromise fun to save on gas.
Old 06-27-2015, 01:06 PM
OldJedi
Drifting

Received 615 Likes on 336 Posts

There is a big difference in ride stiffness between Tour and Sport in Magnetic Ride cars. Along with much tighter steering response and the exhaust note increase. I have not just left it in sport for an entire tankful of gas but I have trip planned for later in the year and will try it then.
Old 06-27-2015, 02:33 PM
Jim Barker
Burning Brakes

Received 60 Likes on 45 Posts

[

I have found that speed is the most important factor. Max mileage at about 60 to 65 mph and less and less the faster you go. 65 to 85 is about 9-10 miles per gallon less. This is with a6, with my best at 33.3 and at or below 65 miles per hour.
Old 06-27-2015, 02:39 PM
rcooper
Safety Car

Received 676 Likes on 480 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by gpotski
I find that when I am in sport mode, the pedal seems to go to the floor easier.

even more so in track!
Old 06-27-2015, 02:47 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,934 Likes on 4,814 Posts

Originally Posted by Corgidog1
Interestingly I have yet to check my gas mileage-just don't care. I would not compromise fun to save on gas.
Old 06-27-2015, 02:54 PM
droideka
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Corgidog1
yup! I average 12-13 mpg.
Old 06-27-2015, 02:57 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,129 Likes on 6,195 Posts

Originally Posted by nmvettec7
The only difference I can detect when dialing in Touring v Sport Mode is the change in the electronic steering. The Sport Mode is a stiffer steering in steering while, while the sport mode is a stiffer feel of the steering wheel.

If there is a difference between Touring and Sport other than the electronic steeing, I am not aware of it, nor can I personally feel or sense any other differenecs. Perhaps another CF member can advise on this.

From the telemetry on the C7 when cruising a highway or traveling on a road a longer distance I can clearly see the engine moving from V8 to V4 and switching back & forth.

Here in New Mexico since most of the long distance driving is on open roads, I have no trouble seeing an avg MPG of 27+.

So far I am pleased with the mileage this vehicle provides considering the upward potential of HP available.

Of course any mileage data is strictly based on the drivers style, speed, rpm's that the car is driven at (high v low), and acceleration habits.
All versions should see a difference in throttle progression, automatics should see slightly more aggressive automatic shifts and as already pointed out the steering and MSRC (if equipped) are very different. The differences between Tour and Sport mode are shown below (not all cars have all items):
Attached Images  
Old 06-27-2015, 05:34 PM
janicept
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It's an automatic - 2015 A7. I only even drive in automatic.

I agree that the fuel economy doesn't really matter. If we can't afford a few extra dollars for gas this should not be what we drive. I use the Corvette for my daily driver and had 274K miles on my C6 so I had a lot of time to play with it. My fuel economy in the C6 was close to 29 mpg when I was driving mostly highway miles. A lot of people would ask what my fuel economy was and it felt good to say almost 29 mpg. When I started staying closer to home for work my fuel economy decreased to around 27 mpg I think. I was disappointed when the C7 was getting even lower mpg. I thought the point of the switching into V4 was to save on fuel. If it doesn't save anything why bother - just one more thing to break.

I know it may not last but when I put the performance exhaust on sport mode instead of tour and got better mileage I was optimistic. I'm going to try track on the steering and performance exhaust on Monday to see what happens.

Last edited by janicept; 06-27-2015 at 07:10 PM.
Old 06-27-2015, 06:11 PM
golden2husky
Burning Brakes

Received 293 Likes on 193 Posts

....Lifetime mileage about 10600, fuel economy driving mainly in tour mode 24.5, average speed 50...

My C7 does not do as well, but average speed of 50....that made me look up such info for my commuter car. Over 108K of driving, the average speed was....23MPH. in five years....I really need to move. Nearly 200 days in an Altima. My Vette is a prescription for sanity.

Get notified of new replies

To Fuel economy-Tour vs Sport mode

Quick Reply: Fuel economy-Tour vs Sport mode