Racer

Received 62 Likes on 33 Posts

No. Trust me, no.
Old 06-25-2015, 07:08 PM
grandpawmoses
Race Director

Received 95 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by JHEBERT
I can tell u what happens when u crash a zo6....my buddy got his z a week before I got mine and we went to the strip for some times on the stock rubber. On about the 4th pass it got loose in 3rd gear around 100mph and hooked hard right from the left lane. By the time he sorted it out. It went into the right lanes guardrail. No airbags deployed and he droveitback into the pits, but not before ONSTAR activated the hazards (I could not turn them off) and a lady asked him over the speakers "Are u ok? Do u require assistance?" He answered "no, I'm fine, it's all good." She asks if he wanted emergency services and he replied "Oh no, I'm fine...but thanks anyway"

Well, he gets back out on the track in the new mustang and I stay to survey the damage. And here they come....the state police, the fire and rescue, fire truck, AND ambulance. They had gps coordinates because they pulled right up to the car at a crowded track. The state trooper asked me if I was the driver ...."uhh, no sir"..."where is the Driver?" I answer: " he's on the track in another car". Trooper looks at me as if I'm from outer space......then he goes to his unit to fill out an incident report. I can't believe this, ONSTAR asked where he was and he even replied he was at a track.

Edit: I have crashed at the track and seen dozens of wrecks at tracks, NEVER seen cops write a report on it.....
Well OnStar did what they're supposed to do. They assume a lot of legal responsibility in their service.
Old 06-26-2015, 12:01 PM
bbrown450
Melting Slicks

Received 503 Likes on 347 Posts

Originally Posted by nmvettec7
If your not doing anything wrong, not doing any criminal activity why worry about it.

There is no privacy in this world, especially everytime you sign into the computer, access the internet. Your IP address becomes a record, and the IP I am sure has a history of all searches or websites visited.

Keys words can attract attention as we have already seen with federal agencies tracking down suspected terrorists and many others with criminal minds especially those who use social media websites that are well known by all.
Plenty have said that exact same thing, Zuckerburg and Verizon CEO when we all found out about the NSA and their "world domination thru inet/phone metadata" yet when asked to give up their passwords and access to their phone records it seems they thought more of their privacy than their "innocence" enough is enough on this BS, privacy is your right and no one is entitled to look into yours !!!
Old 06-26-2015, 03:01 PM
clyjr
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You know how sometimes it's creepy when you search for something on amazon at home, then the next day at work you start seeing ads for it on other sites? I wouldn't be surprised if one day you are talking about something while driving, then you start getting spam emails or ads when you search on google about it.

I would be highly surprised if onstar was doing it nowadays, but I would be even more surprised if they hadn't thought about doing it...
Old 06-27-2015, 12:01 PM
duanepillar
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

They would have to be prety bored to want to listen to me.
Old 07-04-2015, 03:06 PM
PKCorey
Navigator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CriticalmassGT
It has been done, I don't know what the outcome of the lawsuit was, but several years ago it came out that the NSA or DEA (can't remember which) was using OnStar to tap into a suspect's car conversations.

Like I said, there was a lawsuit, but I don't know what the outcome was. All I know is that it doesn't matter if you pay for the service or not, they "can" listen in. whether they do anymore (legally or illegally) I have no idea.

If I had to guess, then I'd say they do. If they suspect you of being a terrorist or a drug dealer, and you own a vehicle with Onstar, sooner or later, they'll use it. legally or not. They have used it to track bank robbers, and the FBI has used it to track criminals crossing state lines, etc. So it's not really a new thing. Even if you aren't paying for it they can track your speeds, where you go, etc. and they reserve the right to sell the data to 3rd party marketing companies in an anonymous format.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2011...-cancellation/
FWIW, that wasn't Onstar. That was Mercedes Benz Tele Aid.

If the light is not green, they can't track your car. Hence all the complaints on their Facebook page during the summer when parents lock themselves out of their cars.
Old 07-04-2015, 06:07 PM
TNSQUIRE
Drifting

Received 336 Likes on 238 Posts
Default Does OnStar eavesdrop

I took my car in for my free oil change yesterday. When I told the service rep what my mileage was she told me she pulled that info before I arrived. I do not have an active on star account but I wonder if that's how she got my mileage.
Old 07-04-2015, 09:06 PM
PKCorey
Navigator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TNSQUIRE
I took my car in for my free oil change yesterday. When I told the service rep what my mileage was she told me she pulled that info before I arrived. I do not have an active on star account but I wonder if that's how she got my mileage.
All 2015 have the 5 year basic plan so she would still be able to pull up your information to your car in the system.
Old 07-04-2015, 09:38 PM
bob guzzy
Safety Car

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

They are listening in on me, waiting for me to buy their service, OnStar you can quit listening now, I'm not buying.
Old 07-04-2015, 10:29 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

They already can track just about anything else they want. The info they collect is good profit for them. Some other manufacturers have a similar system but GM's seems to be most big brother like. Wait until spammers get a hold of your number. I finally DEACTIVATED mine which means it is pretty much dead. They'll warn you that you must call them to hook it back up, even the onstar button won't work. That is all I wanted in the first place.
Old 07-05-2015, 04:14 PM
Fast98
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes they can track you
Old 07-05-2015, 05:16 PM
thegame
Le Mans Master

Received 491 Likes on 275 Posts

I keep calling them and telling them that my vehicle is equipped with on star and that my vehicle is in demonstration mode.
Old 07-06-2015, 12:54 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,958 Likes on 5,346 Posts

I have OnStar on 3 vehicles and have never worried whether or not they could listen in to what is going on in the car or where I am located. Who gives a crap what I am doing? If they do listen they don't hear much. Same way for the vast majority of people driving their cars. If you are a criminal maybe you need to worry, otherwise, so what.

Bill
Old 07-06-2015, 01:19 AM
Rave
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 72 Likes on 57 Posts

OnStar eavesdrop? Heck no! And neither does the gov't!
Old 07-06-2015, 01:33 AM
ViewSonic
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Friend is a major software engineer and he stated YES

They can listen in and monitor vehicle status. There would have to be a valid/important reason for them to do so.

If you have a smartphone they can monitor your calls and even text messages if they want to.

It's the society we live in today. Technology has created a whole new realm of privacy issues which we are not really ready to deal with. Welcome to the tech age!
Old 07-06-2015, 01:46 AM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,191 Likes on 2,681 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
I have OnStar on 3 vehicles and have never worried whether or not they could listen in to what is going on in the car or where I am located. Who gives a crap what I am doing? If they do listen they don't hear much. Same way for the vast majority of people driving their cars. If you are a criminal maybe you need to worry, otherwise, so what.

Bill
I think you are missing the point.

You may not be doing anything you don't want someone knowing about, but that's not the way the laws were written. And certainly not the original intent.
Old 07-06-2015, 09:00 AM
CriticalmassGT
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by ViewSonic
Friend is a major software engineer and he stated YES

They can listen in and monitor vehicle status. There would have to be a valid/important reason for them to do so.

If you have a smartphone they can monitor your calls and even text messages if they want to.

It's the society we live in today. Technology has created a whole new realm of privacy issues which we are not really ready to deal with. Welcome to the tech age!
It's already been proven that they can. This is not news. What is news is that people so willingly give up their rights for convenience.

Get notified of new replies

To Does OnStar eavesdrop

Old 07-06-2015, 09:15 AM
Teri9672
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I feel bad for them if they listen to me....

All they are going to hear is me singing badly to 80's hairband music
Old 07-06-2015, 11:14 AM
rockerontour
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

COOL! THATS ME YOUR LISTENING TO! KEEP ROCKIN!!!
Originally Posted by stingraymyway
If they do, the only thing they'll hear is Hair Nation or Ozzy's Boneyard from the radio. Or me telling the driver in front of me that the light can't get any greener and to go the Hellz on!!
Old 07-06-2015, 12:20 PM
DAFFYDRUNK
Melting Slicks

Received 289 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by stingraymyway
If they do, the only thing they'll hear is Hair Nation or Ozzy's Boneyard from the radio. Or me telling the driver in front of me that the light can't get any greener and to go the Hellz on!!
Originally Posted by Teri9672
I feel bad for them if they listen to me....

All they are going to hear is me singing badly to 80's hairband music
Haha. This is what I'm usually listening to as well. Hopefully Onstar employees like 80s metal.

Quick Reply: Does OnStar eavesdrop