Paint issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2015, 04:24 PM
Dan12
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by road pilot
Well after reading all the negative complaints I will put my 2 cents
in. First I don't have a C7, I have a 15 year old vette with good paint.
At corvette shows I see C7's and they all have poor paint. I always
tell the owner--"You have a nice vette" with no exceptions. Why
should I destroys their ego's. So I understand that their should be
a lot of complaints with GM. Why don't you complain to a second
party, Safecar, BBB, etc. If they get enough complaint's it will
become new's worthy and GM does not want bad publicity. Just
a thought.
Actually the complaining has worked. GM is installing a new paint facility.
Old 10-15-2015, 04:33 PM
Maxie2U
Le Mans Master

Received 4,247 Likes on 2,285 Posts

Just returned from a visit to a local Xpel installer. I wanted to get a quote to have Xpel installed on my C7 after it arrives next week. While there I noticed a brand new Z06 in the shop which was having a complete wrap done. The owner invited me to check out the wrap they were applying to the car. While looking the car over I could not believe how bad the paint looked. MAJOR OP all over the car, the hood had the black insert about the hood vent and it looked like someone had painted it with a spray can! It even had a couple of tiny bare spots on the inside edge on the front fender. It was just HORRIBLE!

I am really looking forward to my car's delivery next week but having real anxiety wondering how bad the paint job on my Touch Red will be.
Old 10-15-2015, 04:37 PM
bbcb
Burning Brakes

Received 86 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxie2U
Just returned from a visit to a local Xpel installer. I wanted to get a quote to have Xpel installed on my C7 after it arrives next week. While there I noticed a brand new Z06 in the shop which was having a complete wrap done. The owner invited me to check out the wrap they were applying to the car. While looking the car over I could not believe how bad the paint looked. MAJOR OP all over the car, the hood had the black insert about the hood vent and it looked like someone had painted it with a spray can! It even had a couple of tiny bare spots on the inside edge on the front fender. It was just HORRIBLE!

I am really looking forward to my car's delivery next week but having real anxiety wondering how bad the paint job on my Touch Red will be.
Why pay to have a bad paint job rapped ? if ya get a ding have it painted right...waste of money in my opinion ...lipstick on a pig ..
Old 10-15-2015, 09:00 PM
427bob
Pro

Received 296 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by bbcb
My lawnmower has a better paint job than my c7 ...
Dam, you made me go out and look at my lawnmower ... and my mower has a better paint job too. Crap!

FWIW, I've had 15 new corvettes since 1966 and my 2016 has the worst paint job of any one of them. The other day I even found paint drippings on the bottom part of the rubber that goes around my hatch window. (on the bottom) Good part is that the drippings don't have any OP.
Old 10-15-2015, 09:07 PM
dmhines
Burning Brakes

Received 227 Likes on 144 Posts

lol .. my new Craftsman lawn tractor has slick as glass paint job too!
Old 10-15-2015, 09:16 PM
ENCT
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan12
Actually the complaining has worked. GM is installing a new paint facility.
Hopefully they can get the paint on par with the rest of the car.
Old 10-15-2015, 09:27 PM
OVR60
Burning Brakes

Received 105 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by ENCT
I will not bitch about the paint, fit and finish, but I got rid of my Z06 and picked up a 911 last week. I do not understand the "It's a Chevy" mentality.
You saw the light.
Old 10-15-2015, 09:27 PM
HalfMoon
Melting Slicks

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

That "black insert" was a sticker.
Old 10-15-2015, 09:41 PM
OVR60
Burning Brakes

Received 105 Likes on 91 Posts

Dan,
I had a 14 C7 and got a 15 Z06 last May. I am in a 2016 Black Edition standard 911 with the PDK. The Porsche suites me better for daily driving. The fit and finish is far better than the Z06 and the PDK is terrific. The performance of the Z06 was at a much higher level than the 91, but I can only go so fast on public roads and do not track the car so the 911 works fine. We also have an Audi A6 and a A3 in the household and the fit and finish of all is terrific.

Eric
I can only say our MACAN TURBO has some of best paint and fit and finish of any car we have ever bought. We were just at a PORSCHE driving event at Mid Ohio race track and drove different models of the 911, being an inexperienced driver it was enough for me to handle. Porsche knows how to treat their customers who are in the same price range as a ZO6.
Old 10-16-2015, 01:35 AM
everjeff
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 48 Likes on 21 Posts

Well you may be in luck, it seems most of the Torch Red people haven't had as much issue or the color at least hides the issue for most.
Old 10-16-2015, 02:19 AM
Highway 61
Pro

Location: Between Forest Lake and White Bear Lake in the Land of 10,000+ lakes
Received 41 Likes on 18 Posts

I ordered my C7 and overall, was happy with the CGM paint job I got and it's better than the paint on my newer lawnmower.

Is there some OP, yes, but what new car built today that there isn't some? The average person doesn't even know what OP is, but they still see a shiny, glossy car and like it.

Old 10-16-2015, 08:45 AM
itchiesvette
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by dvilin
Hopefully you will understand "it's a Porsche " mentality when you bring it in for service.
at least they will know how to work on it correctly and care for it when and if it needs service .
Old 10-16-2015, 08:57 AM
itchiesvette
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 42 Posts

Just the reply I expected.
enjoy it, at least you can feel good about it when you look at it .
Beautiful car !
Old 10-16-2015, 09:12 AM
Dan12
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by itchiesvette
at least they will know how to work on it correctly and care for it when and if it needs service .
Exactly. Not sure what he meant by that.

excellent warranty and service. difference is the tech is certified to work on high end cars and trained specifically for that model. Vs getting your average GM tech who might be working on his first C7.

The service and dealer experience is one of the biggest complaints about GM. I found the difference in dealers to be the same as a 3 star hotel vs a 5 star. When you pay more for the room you simply get better service.

The only complaint with Porsche is the $$$. But in the end its worth it.
Not to mention I sold a 90's 911 for more than what I paid for it after 15 years of ownership.

This only comes up because for some reason guys keep comparing the C7 to Ferrari and Porsche. The Corvette is a fine car but in a class by itself. GM has targeted the lower end performance car buyer who is willing to give up a lot to get a car that does so much for so little. There is no way GM can provide all the other stuff and maintain a $55K base. The C7 has its place in the performance car world. Its not the holy grail its what it is. Some are OK with it an accept the quirks and quality issues, the rest need to anti-up if they want the full package.

Last edited by Dan12; 10-16-2015 at 09:27 AM.
Old 10-16-2015, 11:45 AM
Tommy D
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16
St. Jude donor in memory of jpee '14

My 05 LMB Corvette has OP and a misaligned passenger side front fender and my 14 NRB Corvette also has OP and a misaligned passenger side front fender so for me nothing has changed with regard to GM quality.
Old 10-16-2015, 02:01 PM
ENCT
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by OVR60
I can only say our MACAN TURBO has some of best paint and fit and finish of any car we have ever bought. We were just at a PORSCHE driving event at Mid Ohio race track and drove different models of the 911, being an inexperienced driver it was enough for me to handle. Porsche knows how to treat their customers who are in the same price range as a ZO6.
Good luck with the Macan, they are great looking.
Eric
Old 10-23-2015, 10:38 PM
dmhines
Burning Brakes

Received 227 Likes on 144 Posts

Panel alignment issues should be an easy fix. Not so for OP.

Get notified of new replies

To Paint issues

Old 10-23-2015, 10:41 PM
proexpert
Melting Slicks

Received 384 Likes on 237 Posts

Maxie, no way could I live with that mess. Damn that is real bad, and so sad. I also dream about owning another Corvette.

Last edited by proexpert; 10-23-2015 at 10:44 PM.
Old 10-23-2015, 11:03 PM
kp
Melting Slicks

Received 119 Likes on 96 Posts

Dont feel bad the white on my '16 is just as bad, in the sun its so bright no one notices it looks like line-x bedliner. The more you look the more things you will find as well, dust/dirt in the paint, runs, and maybe some rubbed off spots.

I got over it with the '14 I had, the doors on that were off like yours and they were able to make them look OK. But the contour of the door and fender was not matched. This '16 the gaps and alignment is pretty good.

I knew what I was getting into with the '16 as far as paint quality, but after owning many other cars its always something. After driving the OP'd and mottled blade silver '14 for a year not one person ever said 'thats crappy paint.' Matter of fact it was just the opposite..

You are lucky enough to be able to walk away, if the paint is something that is going to eat at you and kill your enjoyment of the car look at something else. Myself as long as its the factory that did the crappy paint I'm OK with it. Plus many other cars come with pretty bad OP, I had a black '11 M3 that had horrible OP and the paint was so soft a microfiber cloth would leave marks like 600 grit sandpaper. I still loved it though, great car - OP and all

[SIZE="3"]My Touch Red C7 arrived at the courtesy dealer today. So I drove over to inspect the car. Now, I had read many posts from people who's car had OP especially on the sides of the car but I was truly hoping my car would not be too bad. Well that hope quickly faded upon first glance. On both sides of the car running the entire length it's covered in OP, its bad, really bad! If that wasn't enough the front edge of driver's door is not flush with edge of front fender. So they can't paint or get things to fit flush!

After the initial shock somewhat subsided I started to think, do I really want to pay this much for a car with a ******** paint job? I also thought how embarrassing it's going to be when family and friends see the car. I can hear it now....you paid how much for that car....are they going to fix it....man I'm never going to buy one.

I talked with the GM from the courtesy dealer about the OP and he quickly admitted the vast majority of C7s that he gets have OP, no better, no worse. In fact, a Blue Z06 was delivered at the same time and it too looks as bad as mine!

The GM did mentioned they could file a warranty claim with GM in order to attempt to fix it by wet sanding then polish it out. When I asked how likely it is for GM to approve the claim, he just shrugged his shoulders.

There is one key point I need to mention, I have not paid for the car! So I can pushback and not accept the car. But the reality is even if that went as I would like there is a 99.999% chance the next one will be just as bad!

So now I'm faced with reality, do I give up my forty year dream of owning a Corvette or live with it?

It's going to be a long weekend.
Old 10-24-2015, 06:49 AM
bbcb
Burning Brakes

Received 86 Likes on 72 Posts

My Touch Red C7 arrived at the courtesy dealer today. So I drove over to inspect the car. Now, I had read many posts from people who's car had OP especially on the sides of the car but I was truly hoping my car would not be too bad. Well that hope quickly faded upon first glance. On both sides of the car running the entire length it's covered in OP, its bad, really bad! If that wasn't enough the front edge of driver's door is not flush with edge of front fender. So they can't paint or get things to fit flush!

After the initial shock somewhat subsided I started to think, do I really want to pay this much for a car with a ******** paint job? I also thought how embarrassing it's going to be when family and friends see the car. I can hear it now....you paid how much for that car....are they going to fix it....man I'm never going to buy one.

I talked with the GM from the courtesy dealer about the OP and he quickly admitted the vast majority of C7s that he gets have OP, no better, no worse. In fact, a Blue Z06 was delivered at the same time and it too looks as bad as mine!

The courtesy dealer General Manager did mentioned they could file a warranty claim with GM in order to attempt to fix it by wet sanding then polish it out. When I asked how likely it is for GM to approve the claim, he just shrugged his shoulders.

There is one key point I need to mention, I have not paid for the car! So I can pushback and not accept the car. But the reality is even if that went as I would like there is a 99.999% chance the next one will be just as bad!

So now I'm faced with reality, do I give up my forty year dream of owning a Corvette or live with it?

It's going to be a long weekend.

BTW, the driver's door sticks out approximately 3/16" farther than the fender. It is VERY NOTICEABLE.
I would not accept that car ..wait for the next one ...you may want to order White ...hides a lot of sins ...

Quick Reply: Paint issues