Paint issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2015, 08:59 AM
bbcb
Burning Brakes

Received 86 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by vy427
mine, too.
bottom line regardless of the reason for grummy paint jobs ..

Gm does not care ..it's that simple !
Old 10-12-2015, 08:36 PM
blueray16
Burning Brakes

Received 475 Likes on 282 Posts

I was a supervisor in a GM parts plant back in the early 70's. Occasionally, when the Superintendent of Manufacturing was confronted, on the manufacturing floor, by the Quality Director, on a particular quality issue, his response was that we made" commercially acceptable products, not jewelry". Shortly thereafter he would tell the QC director to "get the hell off my floor". I was present on more than one of these occasions.
Old 10-12-2015, 08:40 PM
rmorin1249
Le Mans Master

Received 1,739 Likes on 1,175 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16,'18

Originally Posted by blueray16
I was a supervisor in a GM parts plant back in the early 70's. Occasionally, when the Superintendent of Manufacturing was confronted, on the manufacturing floor, by the Quality Director, on a particular quality issue, his response was that we made" commercially acceptable products, not jewelry". Shortly thereafter he would tell the QC director to "get the hell off my floor". I was present on more than one of these occasions.
Sounds a lot like "close enough for government work" that I heard for 20 years as a government contractor. Pathetic.
Old 10-12-2015, 08:43 PM
bbcb
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rmorin1249
Sounds a lot like "close enough for government work" that I heard for 20 years as a government contractor. Pathetic.
I believe it ..as I was told in 1978 we have not built the perfect car yet ... It appears little has changed nor will it ..
Old 10-12-2015, 08:45 PM
rmorin1249
Le Mans Master

Received 1,739 Likes on 1,175 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16,'18

Originally Posted by bbcb
I believe it ..as I was told in 1978 we have not built the perfect car yet ... It appears little has changed nor will it ..
At least Lexus admits they are striving for perfection and IMO they are a lot closer than GM.
Old 10-12-2015, 08:49 PM
bbcb
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rmorin1249
At least Lexus admits they are striving for perfection and IMO they are a lot closer than GM.
There is no car being produced today that has a paint job as bad as corvette ... and fit and finish are only acceptable ....because the paint is so awful ...
Old 10-13-2015, 07:06 AM
jdarc1
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

I wonder if GM is viewing this thread or others like it. Are they being proactive or just ignoring the fact that they have a problem ?
Old 10-13-2015, 10:44 AM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 973 Likes on 506 Posts
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by jdarc1
I wonder if GM is viewing this thread or others like it. Are they being proactive or just ignoring the fact that they have a problem ?
they are building a new paint shop to be finished in 2017 or so...so no, they are not "watching" this thread, they know the story.
Old 10-13-2015, 12:43 PM
carpe dm
Le Mans Master

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

Our AW is fine; probably the best on any Vette we have had.
Old 10-13-2015, 05:48 PM
bbcb
Burning Brakes

take care of that car as it is the only one ..... will be worth big bucks someday
Old 10-14-2015, 08:58 AM
itchiesvette
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by bbcb
take care of that car as it is the only one ..... will be worth big bucks someday
I have been complaining about the paint for weeks and have sent emails to Mary Barra, the Chair of GM . Their response is that the paint meets their "standard" according to the person I spoke to in the Executive Office. They know all about the problem but wont do anything to help/fix the thousands of us with lousy paint . I have been quoted 1700.00 to wet sand the sides of my car. but done feel I should have to spend my money to correct what is a quality defect. I have even asked them to split the cost .
Old 10-14-2015, 09:39 AM
jdarc1
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Default @itchiesvette

Thats exactly what they told me.
Old 10-14-2015, 09:56 AM
itchiesvette
Racer

Originally Posted by jdarc1
Thats exactly what they told me.
if enough people keep complaining maybe they will do something for us . Once they learn how to paint the value of the orange peel painted cars will fall like a rock.
Old 10-14-2015, 10:11 AM
HalfMoon
Melting Slicks

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by itchiesvette
if enough people keep complaining maybe they will do something for us . Once they learn how to paint the value of the orange peel painted cars will fall like a rock.
They won't do anything, especially since we are all still buying them.

In the 80's I had cars that would have paint transfer to your wash rag/mitt when you simply used soap and water. Nobody ever got their Camaro/Corvette/Mustang/other repainted back then and that was MUCH worse than some orange peel that in many cases needs a careful light on an angle to see.

The other day I was at a light behind a new M5 and you know what I noticed in the extremely shiny black trunk lid? Yep, orange peel that looked much worse than what my C7 had. At least on my C7 you needed to be a critic or looking for it, on the BMW it was glaring and that car starts at just about $95k with no options.

That said, does it bug me? Yes. Does it stop me from wanting the car? No. In fact I sold my C7 last month and my new Z06/Z07 is going to be produced next week, with plenty of orange peel I'm sure... and I'm okay with that considering the performance bargain these cars are.

My suggestion for those that are really torn up about this (if you own one): Go drive the car the next time you go out to the garage instead of applying the 309th coat of Zaino. You'll get by with the polish already on the car and will forget about any "flaws" when you're out on the road enjoying the car doing what it was made for! Life is too short to worry about this stuff to this level.

Old 10-14-2015, 10:26 AM
itchiesvette
Racer

Originally Posted by HalfMoon
They won't do anything, especially since we are all still buying them.

In the 80's I had cars that would have paint transfer to your wash rag/mitt when you simply used soap and water. Nobody ever got their Camaro/Corvette/Mustang/other repainted back then and that was MUCH worse than some orange peel that in many cases needs a careful light on an angle to see.

The other day I was at a light behind a new M5 and you know what I noticed in the extremely shiny black trunk lid? Yep, orange peel that looked much worse than what my C7 had. At least on my C7 you needed to be a critic or looking for it, on the BMW it was glaring and that car starts at just about $95k with no options.

That said, does it bug me? Yes. Does it stop me from wanting the car? No. In fact I sold my C7 last month and my new Z06/Z07 is going to be produced next week, with plenty of orange peel I'm sure... and I'm okay with that considering the performance bargain these cars are.

My suggestion for those that are really torn up about this (if you own one): Go drive the car the next time you go out to the garage instead of applying the 309th coat of Zaino. You'll get by with the polish already on the car and will forget about any "flaws" when you're out on the road enjoying the car doing what it was made for! Life is too short to worry about this stuff to this level.

My complaint has nothing to do with the performance of the car or the value of it One has nothing to do with the other . The paint is the worst of anything produced in the world today period, and GM knows it .
Old 10-14-2015, 11:05 AM
HalfMoon
Melting Slicks

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

My complaint has nothing to do with the performance of the car or the value of it One has nothing to do with the other . The paint is the worst of anything produced in the world today period, and GM knows it .

You were speaking of value:

if enough people keep complaining maybe they will do something for us . Once they learn how to paint the value of the orange peel painted cars will fall like a rock."
Re: "the worst paint":

That is your opinion, and honestly I do not agree.

My 2015 Mustang GT has slightly less OP than my C7, but the paint quality is MUCH worse overall, as well as the prep work they supposedly put into the car before painting it.
Old 10-14-2015, 08:35 PM
ENCT
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I will not bitch about the paint, fit and finish, but I got rid of my Z06 and picked up a 911 last week. I do not understand the "It's a Chevy" mentality.

Get notified of new replies

To Paint issues

Old 10-14-2015, 08:39 PM
awright2009
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 44 Posts

It's not the paint; it's the clear coat. I'm going to machine polish mine to get it right, but as much as I'm spending on a dual action polisher, pads, compound and finishing polish I should of probably just paid some one to do it

(I'm not that picky, but reflections are definitely distorted and not mirror like)
Old 10-14-2015, 08:54 PM
Maxie2U
Le Mans Master

Received 4,247 Likes on 2,285 Posts

Originally Posted by ENCT
I will not bitch about the paint, fit and finish, but I got rid of my Z06 and picked up a 911 last week. I do not understand the "It's a Chevy" mentality.
Enjoy your 911...
Old 10-14-2015, 09:32 PM
ENCT
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxie2U
Enjoy your 911...
Just the reply I expected.

Quick Reply: Paint issues