C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

When is GM planning to offer Hybrid (Electric) Corvette?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2015, 03:07 PM
rcooper
Safety Car

Received 676 Likes on 480 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by KenHorse
Right after the mid-engine Zora C8!

(by the way, they'll call the new hybrid The Corvolt)
Yeah, and when you plug it in it will be revolting.
Old 06-15-2015, 03:20 PM
GuyFromLeMans
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Kracka

The offspring of these two would either be absolutely amazing...or a horrible monstrosity!

Awesome fleet! I almost pulled the trigger on a Volt which would have my garage resembling yours, but decided it was too soon for an EV.
At the rate of current progress in EV R&D, I will wait for a few more years until the market offers a 30k vehicle with an electric range of at least 200 if not 300 miles....
Old 06-15-2015, 05:20 PM
hawkgfr
Race Director

Received 1,220 Likes on 831 Posts

I hope never....

If they feel the need make it a separate model...not a Corvette.
Old 06-15-2015, 07:43 PM
tslick98
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Kracka

The offspring of these two would either be absolutely amazing...or a horrible monstrosity!
this is my take on what it might look like

Old 06-15-2015, 08:54 PM
rkhegler
Team Owner

Received 350 Likes on 152 Posts

You can't tell me GM is not working on a concept electric Corvette. Check this out from Japan. All that holds these vehicles from being on the production line is the battery technology.

Last edited by rkhegler; 06-15-2015 at 08:56 PM.
Old 06-15-2015, 09:52 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,419 Likes on 14,038 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Perhaps with the C8 a hybrid will be offered. As long as it has cutting edge technology and performance to keep it competitive with the top sports cars, I'd be happy.
Old 06-15-2015, 09:56 PM
Karanx7
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

This doesn't really belong in this subforum.
Old 06-15-2015, 10:29 PM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 454 Likes on 399 Posts

Originally Posted by hawkgfr
I hope never....

Old 06-15-2015, 10:36 PM
tachi1247
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ali1951
With Ferrari, Porsche, Tesla, McLaren, Audi, etc. already offering Hybrid models of their sports car, Does GM have any plan to follow suit with Corvette?
Not so sure on your statement there.

Ferrari offered one model (La Ferrari) that was a hybrid and it was a special limited production vehicle that was never available for purchase to even people who could afford it.

Porsche does not offer a 911, boxster, or cayman hybrid and still hasn't even confirmed that one will be available in the next generation. I would hardly call the Panamera and cayenne sports cars.

Tesla has never made a hybrid, and hasn't produced a sports car since 2012. They also have no plans to offer one in the near future either. I'm sure Musk would have told us about it if there was since he seems to announce cars 2 to 3 years before they are ready for production.

McLaren....same story as the La Ferrari.

Audi has never and still doesn't offer a hybrid sports car. Closest thing is the yet to be released R8 e-tron which is fully electric, not a hybrid.

So other than the two $1+ million cars from Ferrari and McLaren there are no hybrid sports cars out there that the corvette needs to compete with. Hybridization will add compexity and a ton of cost to the Corvette which is kind of the anti-thesis of the Corvette's essence. Corvettes have always been very affordable and made their power with large NA V8 engines. The corvette (and even more so the Dodge Viper) is a brute force car and not a machine of technical wizardry. It has definitely improved in the technical department, but I still wouldn't say that it is what defines the car.

Besides all of that, there is no reason for Chevy to make a hybrid vette. The other manufacturers need hybridization to meet CAFE regulations because they don't sell 100 malibus for every sports car they sell. If your ferrari and your "good" gas mileage cars get 14 mpg then you need hybridization. If anything, I'd expect to see a turbo corvette long before a hybrid.
Old 06-15-2015, 10:51 PM
GS1960
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack
Perhaps with the C8 a hybrid will be offered. As long as it has cutting edge technology and performance to keep it competitive with the top sports cars, I'd be happy.
Old 06-16-2015, 12:59 AM
Grimlock13
Melting Slicks

Received 139 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by DeStreGa5
I wouldn't mind a hybrid. As long as I can get a manual, I'm happy.
I've yet to see ANY hybrid* car with a manual transmission.

*Factory made not kit or retrofit stuff. Since there was a company that retrofitted a C6 Z06 with an added electric motor but to bump power to ~700 HP, not tuned for fuel economy. Was never available to public, so it was a one off.

Last edited by Grimlock13; 06-16-2015 at 01:08 AM.
Old 06-16-2015, 08:20 AM
360Lemans
Burning Brakes

Received 220 Likes on 158 Posts

I hope never....

Love working on my C7 would not by a hybrid.
Old 06-16-2015, 09:19 AM
ali1951
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by tachi1247
Not so sure on your statement there.

Ferrari offered one model (La Ferrari) that was a hybrid and it was a special limited production vehicle that was never available for purchase to even people who could afford it.

Porsche does not offer a 911, boxster, or cayman hybrid and still hasn't even confirmed that one will be available in the next generation. I would hardly call the Panamera and cayenne sports cars.

Tesla has never made a hybrid, and hasn't produced a sports car since 2012. They also have no plans to offer one in the near future either. I'm sure Musk would have told us about it if there was since he seems to announce cars 2 to 3 years before they are ready for production.

McLaren....same story as the La Ferrari.

Audi has never and still doesn't offer a hybrid sports car. Closest thing is the yet to be released R8 e-tron which is fully electric, not a hybrid.

So other than the two $1+ million cars from Ferrari and McLaren there are no hybrid sports cars out there that the corvette needs to compete with. Hybridization will add compexity and a ton of cost to the Corvette which is kind of the anti-thesis of the Corvette's essence. Corvettes have always been very affordable and made their power with large NA V8 engines. The corvette (and even more so the Dodge Viper) is a brute force car and not a machine of technical wizardry. It has definitely improved in the technical department, but I still wouldn't say that it is what defines the car.

Besides all of that, there is no reason for Chevy to make a hybrid vette. The other manufacturers need hybridization to meet CAFE regulations because they don't sell 100 malibus for every sports car they sell. If your ferrari and your "good" gas mileage cars get 14 mpg then you need hybridization. If anything, I'd expect to see a turbo corvette long before a hybrid.

Here is a link for more information on hybrid sports cars including Porsche 918 Spyder, Tesla S P85D, and Audi R8 e-tron.

http://classicautomobiles.info/ferrari-laferrari.htm

Last edited by ali1951; 06-16-2015 at 10:50 AM.
Old 06-16-2015, 09:21 AM
johnny c
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 13 Posts

push to pass button sounds like a blast!!
Old 06-16-2015, 10:07 AM
b1adesofcha0s
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think a hybrid Corvette built with the same purpose as the LaFerrari, P1, and 918 would be awesome. However, I think we're still a long ways from seeing one actually hit production. I doubt we see one in the C8 generation, but maybe by the C9 generation costs will have gone down enough to add it to the Corvette.
Old 06-16-2015, 10:10 AM
johnny c
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by b1adesofcha0s
I think a hybrid Corvette built with the same purpose as the LaFerrari, P1, and 918 would be awesome. However, I think we're still a long ways from seeing one actually hit production. I doubt we see one in the C8 generation, but maybe by the C9 generation costs will have gone down enough to add it to the Corvette.
the trick would be adding a hybrid system and keeping the price under 55k.
Old 06-16-2015, 10:53 AM
ratman6161
Pro

Received 122 Likes on 58 Posts

I hope never....

Or at least until its what I would call a "real" technology. Hybrids by nature are half way, interim solutions.

The current generation of all electric cars - including the Tesla - aren't half way in that they are all electric but they still have range limitations and when the juice runs out, where do you charge it? A model S could theoretically work as my daily commuter car since it has a range of 240 miles. But what if you want to take it on a trip away from home? Looking at their map of "super charger"stations they seem to be all along the major interstates...mostly. But if you want to cross Nebraska? There is one in Omaha and then nothing else until you get to Colorado so you won't get far. Basically unless you are going to very carefully plan your trip around charger locations, you are going to be pretty much restricted to your home area.

So this is an area where I am very pleased to not have the Corvette be at the bleeding edge of technology. Electric motors actually have a lot of advantages for a sports car but until the range and charging issues are solved and electric cars become main stream, please keep them out of my Corvette.

Get notified of new replies

To When is GM planning to offer Hybrid (Electric) Corvette?

Old 06-16-2015, 10:57 AM
b1adesofcha0s
Instructor

Originally Posted by Johnny C @ OG
the trick would be adding a hybrid system and keeping the price under 55k.
I'd expect it to show up on a Z06/ZR1 model first for that very reason. Then maybe have that technology trickle down to the base Corvette models in the following generation.
Old 06-16-2015, 11:03 AM
b1adesofcha0s
Instructor

Originally Posted by ratman6161

Or at least until its what I would call a "real" technology. Hybrids by nature are half way, interim solutions.

The current generation of all electric cars - including the Tesla - aren't half way in that they are all electric but they still have range limitations and when the juice runs out, where do you charge it? A model S could theoretically work as my daily commuter car since it has a range of 240 miles. But what if you want to take it on a trip away from home? Looking at their map of "super charger"stations they seem to be all along the major interstates...mostly. But if you want to cross Nebraska? There is one in Omaha and then nothing else until you get to Colorado so you won't get far. Basically unless you are going to very carefully plan your trip around charger locations, you are going to be pretty much restricted to your home area.

So this is an area where I am very pleased to not have the Corvette be at the bleeding edge of technology. Electric motors actually have a lot of advantages for a sports car but until the range and charging issues are solved and electric cars become main stream, please keep them out of my Corvette.
Whether or not they are "interim" solutions depends on how that technology is integrated into the car. I like the approach they took with the LaFerrari and would hope an implementation on a future Corvette follows the same model. They kept their N/A V12 engine on it and added the electric motors strictly for added performance. It's not really made to be driven in electric only mode. If we can keep the V8 in the Corvette and add electric motors for additional power and instant torque, I don't see how that's a bad thing. The added weight is what I'd be most worried about, but the exotics seem to be doing pretty well with it.
Old 06-16-2015, 01:01 PM
cheapthrills
Melting Slicks

Received 441 Likes on 292 Posts

Originally Posted by Grimlock13
I've yet to see ANY hybrid* car with a manual transmission.

*Factory made not kit or retrofit stuff. Since there was a company that retrofitted a C6 Z06 with an added electric motor but to bump power to ~700 HP, not tuned for fuel economy. Was never available to public, so it was a one off.
And now you have.....
http://automobiles.honda.com/cr-z/

Technical Features

•130-hp (combined: engine (SAE net) + electric motor), 1.5-Liter, 16-Valve, SOHC i-VTEC® 4-Cylinder Engine
•Drive-by-Wire Throttle System
•Hill Start Assist
•3-Mode Drive System (Sport/Normal/ECON)
•Plus Sport System®
•Eco Assist™ System
•AT-PZEV CARB Emissions Rating1
•Lithium-Ion (Li-Ion) Battery
•6-Speed Manual Transmission
•Continuously Variable Transmission (CVT) with Paddle Shifters (available)
•Unit-Body Construction
•Electric Power-Assisted Rack-and-Pinion Steering (EPS)
•MacPherson Strut Front Suspension
•Torsion-Beam Rear Suspension
•Front and Rear Stabilizer Bars
•Power-Assisted Ventilated Front Disc/Solid Rear Disc Brakes
•16-Inch Alloy Wheels
•Tire Repair Kit (TRK) with 24-Hour Assistance

Quick Reply: When is GM planning to offer Hybrid (Electric) Corvette?