C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Man trapped in his Corvette dies from heat.

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2015, 03:17 PM
radickeymd
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stingraymyway

I'm guessing if there wasn't a medical issue. The fella just panicked and became disoriented. I bet the memo's are flying to the dealerships to show buyer's the manual process for getting the doors open in the event of a power failure.
You bet. Dealers who do not show the buyer this safety measure (mine did not) are negligent.
Old 07-09-2015, 03:22 PM
bsb1946
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

As many others have said, it's mind boggling how many people buy high tech vehicles (not just Corvettes) and NEVER read the owners manual. That being said, why do we have solenoid operated door latches in the first place. A pull handle will actuate a latch release as easily as a solenoid. Since the actual latch mechanism is located in the door jamb, it would not be a big styling trick to replace the rubber push button in the door with a mechanical FLUSH FITTING handle located in the quarter panel that would "pop out" with the push of a button. Such latch handles were on mid fifties Chryslers and Cunninghams plus on many modern day vehicles. Like wise, a cable operated latch release should not be that difficult to install and be good visually. Door latch releases should not be left up the whims of wild electrons.
Old 07-09-2015, 03:46 PM
VatorMan
Team Owner

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude's Donor '06-'10-'11, '15

Originally Posted by radickeymd
You bet. Dealers who do not show the buyer this safety measure (mine did not) are negligent.
You must be a lawyer. An ambulance chasing lawyer.
Old 07-09-2015, 03:54 PM
chiefbob
Instructor

St. Jude Donor '10

Some pretty nasty replies on this thread by elitist morons who don't know ALL the details. The article was short on a lot of details.

And the wackos that place dogs above humans are pathetic. I like dogs, I really do, but to blame the guy for his dog's death is completely insensitive. I hope none of his family members or friends don't read this trash.
Old 07-09-2015, 03:55 PM
DAFFYDRUNK
Melting Slicks

Received 289 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by bsb1946
As many others have said, it's mind boggling how many people buy high tech vehicles (not just Corvettes) and NEVER read the owners manual. That being said, why do we have solenoid operated door latches in the first place. A pull handle will actuate a latch release as easily as a solenoid. Since the actual latch mechanism is located in the door jamb, it would not be a big styling trick to replace the rubber push button in the door with a mechanical FLUSH FITTING handle located in the quarter panel that would "pop out" with the push of a button. Such latch handles were on mid fifties Chryslers and Cunninghams plus on many modern day vehicles. Like wise, a cable operated latch release should not be that difficult to install and be good visually. Door latch releases should not be left up the whims of wild electrons.
As probably discussed on here, the power door latches exist because the windows roll down a tiny bit. Then they roll back up when you close the door. Better seal. Try opening the door with the manual latch when the battery is dead or unhooked. Of course it will open but it the window will grab on the seal. I thought I was gonna break the window when I tried this on my C7. If the mechanism was purely manual/mechanical this extra sealing probably wouldn't work as it wouldn't be able to react quick enough to you opening the door.
Old 07-09-2015, 03:57 PM
2010vettegs
Heel & Toe

Default re:

Lets not blame the car or the car maker, the car is equipped with an emergency latch. The question to be asked should be, Did the new car owner read the car's manual, and videos that it came with? I bought my first C6 last year and the first thing I did was to read the manual and understand the car, till today I am still going over the manual every so often.
P.S. always know your exit route in case of an emergency.
Old 07-09-2015, 03:58 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,126 Likes on 6,194 Posts

Originally Posted by Rustydawg
This is another reason why I love my C5. Manual door handles and a key ignition. I enjoy the experience of turning a key to crank my Vette. Call me old fashioned, but pushing a button to start a car does nothing for me.
OK, you are old fashioned. I love not having to remove the fob from my pocket.

PS - I'm 60+, but apparently I'm not old fashioned. I like the electronic gadgetry and have black wheels.
Old 07-09-2015, 04:05 PM
Not4spd
Melting Slicks

Received 631 Likes on 394 Posts

There ya go. Posted on Facebook in regards to this article.

Daniel Flowers
Not a suicide and not a stupid man. He was a good friend of mine for 17 years. Jim was a muscle car guy his whole life. He was constantly trading for project cars and after having perfected them would trade for the next. He dreamed of owning a Vette since he was a teen. He finally traded a Firebird for a 96 which he polished and tinkered with for more than a year. Then after recently becoming single he decided "Why not?" And found the 07. He only had it a few weeks before this event. Here are some facts. The average man cannot break a window without a pointed or edged impact tool. I am a firefighter/medic and have seen ball peen hammers and police flashlights bounce right off door glass. Jimmy was very fastidious and kept his car immaculate and clutter free so he had no tools. He was mechanically adept and evidence was found he had tried to access the latch to the rear hatch. Evidence was also found he had gone thru the manual. It was a 95 degree day with Gulf coast humitity. Jim was a 72 year old diabetic with arthritic hands and while still a fairly hearty man would certainly be overcome faster than a younger, healthier man which could explain why he didn't find the emergency levers referenced in the manual. He loved that dog like a child and would've walked over hot coals into the gates of hell to protect her. I attended his funeral less than 14 hours ago. He was sent to God with a Corvette ball cap on his head. Personally I'd like to burn that cap and the car with it. Far as I'm concerned a big responsibility goes to whoever sold him the car for not pointing out the critical release lever. Jim only looked optimistically forward. Suicide would never be in the picture. He was an Army veteran, serving with distinction. He was a very good friend and neighbor to me and one of the most superlative humans I ever had the honor of knowing. Any questions
Old 07-09-2015, 04:17 PM
blackmagicZ
Melting Slicks

Received 400 Likes on 241 Posts

Yes it was a tragedy, but maybe this tragedy will help keep this from happening again. At our monthly meeting of River City Corvette's of Sacramento, a printed copy of the story was given out to our members and the president of the club discussed it as well and reminded us of where the emergency door release cables are. The story was also sent out as an email to all the members that missed the meeting. These are very high tech cars and sometimes we neglect the manual.
Old 07-09-2015, 04:27 PM
vetteLT193
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 526 Likes on 316 Posts

Originally Posted by DAFFYDRUNK
As probably discussed on here, the power door latches exist because the windows roll down a tiny bit. Then they roll back up when you close the door. Better seal. Try opening the door with the manual latch when the battery is dead or unhooked. Of course it will open but it the window will grab on the seal. I thought I was gonna break the window when I tried this on my C7. If the mechanism was purely manual/mechanical this extra sealing probably wouldn't work as it wouldn't be able to react quick enough to you opening the door.
I have a BMW M3 that rolls the windows down a bit when you open them and it has regular door handles.

The bottom line is the push button door handles is a dumb 'feature'
Old 07-09-2015, 04:27 PM
rjones222
Cruising

Originally Posted by NavyBlue2
Yes, I would have just hit the button to open my convertible top or open my storage compartment/screen to get my gun to shoot out the windows.

Oops, that operates by elec too...

Wished some things were still mechanical.... Like door mechanism...
I live in florida and with all the canals around a lot of people carry special small hammers with a point on the end. So when the car goes in the canal and the electrical doesn't work you can take out the window .I have one in my c5 console, I hope I never have to use it.
Old 07-09-2015, 04:34 PM
DAFFYDRUNK
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by vetteLT193
I have a BMW M3 that rolls the windows down a bit when you open them and it has regular door handles.

The bottom line is the push button door handles is a dumb 'feature'
If that's the case then perhaps this is an "Ask Tadge" question. I figure they must have a reason for it, but it's interesting BMW achieves the same result with a mechanical latch. So far I'm cool with it other than the slight delay it has. Kinda screws with your car door opening muscle memory.
Old 07-09-2015, 04:56 PM
Patriot10
Le Mans Master

Received 148 Likes on 99 Posts

My car has an emergency rescue tool securely taped to the drivers side b -pillar that can cut a seatbelt and shatter the side windows for escape. The tool is taped in case my vehicle rolls over. I want it within my reach at all times and in any type of accident. I also bring it with me on trips when I need to travel by taxi or public tranportation. In case of an emergency, I do not want to be trapped in a burning taxi, limo or bus.

You should be able to instinctively reach it and use it with your eyes closed. In a bad crash, you may be dizzy, disoriented....or, if your car drives into a lake with a lot of silt or at night you will be in total darkness.

Last edited by Patriot10; 07-09-2015 at 04:59 PM.
Old 07-09-2015, 05:15 PM
jcthorne
Drifting

Received 438 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by DAFFYDRUNK
You think Corvettes are the only car with indexing windows? Mustangs have done this since 2005 and have mechanical door latches. Many other cars too.

My Ford GT had electric push button from the outside and a mechanical pull from the inside. It had indexing windows as well.

No reason they cannot be combined. I personally think the inside latch should have been mechanical on the Vette but what is provided does seem to work fine even if it offers no advantage.
Old 07-09-2015, 05:30 PM
Patriot10
Le Mans Master

Received 148 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Mdm23
He was at a restaurant and couldn't get anyone's attention by yelling or beating on the glass or something? I can't wrap my head around this. I feel the worst for the dog suffering like that because it was completely helpless. The owner should've have known there was a release lever.
RIP to the man and his friend.

I'm not saying this was the case, but as people age they tend to become forgetful. Memories that were once instinctive can be forgotten, especially in an unexpected situation like this.

My Dad already has signs of dementia and he is younger than the man who died in the Corvette.
Old 07-09-2015, 05:48 PM
DAFFYDRUNK
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by jcthorne
You think Corvettes are the only car with indexing windows? Mustangs have done this since 2005 and have mechanical door latches. Many other cars too.

My Ford GT had electric push button from the outside and a mechanical pull from the inside. It had indexing windows as well.

No reason they cannot be combined. I personally think the inside latch should have been mechanical on the Vette but what is provided does seem to work fine even if it offers no advantage.
Actually I didn't know. My apologies if I didn't have enough money to experience lots of cars like you. Started with nothing and I'm at a point where I paid cash for my first Corvette. Still proud enough of myself to endure a hint of condescension here and there. Cheers.
Old 07-09-2015, 06:14 PM
6 string player
Cruising

Default Safety first

This is so sad, when i read this tragedy my first thought was How could this happen?, then i spoke with other club members and even my dad and they did not know either, Sooooo here its goes, How about posting on the back of the sun visor ( just like the air bags) and show a pic of the cable pulls and their locations? Simple enough? Thoughts?

Get notified of new replies

To Man trapped in his Corvette dies from heat.

Old 07-09-2015, 07:27 PM
stubek
7th Gear

What happens if you pull the door handle on the inside you normally use to open the door? Is that electric?
Most modern cars have the door handle connected to the lock system. If the car is locked and you pull the handle on the inside, it unlocks the door. If you pull it again, then the door opens. My 93 camaro had this. Most Ford products since the early 90s do this. My past and present Audi do this. I've seen BMW do this.
Old 07-09-2015, 07:33 PM
BILLD518
Instructor

I really hate to hear about something like this, especially with a Corvette.
I’m 70 years old and was given a Corvette several years ago by the company I worked for.
The night It was given to me I stayed up most of the night and morning reading the manual.
I wanted to learn all I could about it, and just a couple of days later I joined The Corvette Forum.
However I can understand the man not knowing the emergency latches (sort of).
The outside door latch went out on my C6. So I took it to the dealer.
They told me it would be a week before the new part would be in. So I told them to call me when it arrives and I would bring it back.
They went to get it for me from back in their yard. I waited for over twenty minutes the person came back and asked if I could go with them, and show them how to get in the car.
Bill
Old 07-09-2015, 07:39 PM
mowpow
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default yep

I just bought an 07 from a local small dealer and this is the first thing they showed me. Had they not shown me I am not sure I would have found the release. It is a tragedy indeed but one positive is that dealers are pointing it out and that will hopefully help prevent someone else from the same terrible fate.

Originally Posted by stingraymyway

I'm guessing if there wasn't a medical issue. The fella just panicked and became disoriented. I bet the memo's are flying to the dealerships to show buyer's the manual process for getting the doors open in the event of a power failure.

Quick Reply: Man trapped in his Corvette dies from heat.