C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Man trapped in his Corvette dies from heat.

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2015, 03:32 PM
Mickey's67
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ernest_T
Keeping something like that charged would be problematic.
I think you might have a problem contacting OnStar, if you "DON'T" have a battery!
Old 06-12-2015, 03:39 PM
Mickey's67
Heel & Toe

Actually there are a lot worse places to die, and it's almost like a Viking funeral being buried with your dog. I doubt if they set the corvette on fire with him and the dog in it though.
Old 06-12-2015, 03:41 PM
F&Yb0dluvr
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by J_Vette_Manuel
I get that it seems obvious that he should have known....

Amazing how insensitive, ignorant, and flat out mean some of you a**holes are. So many perfect Corvette owners on here.... Super smart, captains of industry.... Spare me...

The poor man passed away and is someone's family member.... There is NO NEED FOR DEBATE IF HE SHOULD HAVE KNOWN ABOUT THE LATCH OR NOT. HE DIED.... The poor dog suffered... GET OVER YOURSELVES.

I'd love to see all of you bada** sh*t talkers in this thread go to his family and say something... If you can do it... You are a heartless SOB and it is a shame it wasn't you in the car....

Sympathy and Empathy are two things unfortunately lost more and more everyday in this country.
What bothers me IF he truly was "trapped" his stupidity on not knowing how to get out killed an innocent dog...had the dog not been involved I would not be bothered...or of course had he got in a car wreck with the dog and they had both died I would have sympathy but .it amazes me though that the man was intelligent(and lucky) enough to make it to 72 and got outdone by a dead battery in a car with numerous ways to get out...

Last edited by F&Yb0dluvr; 06-12-2015 at 03:47 PM.
Old 06-12-2015, 04:10 PM
TennisFreak
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by J_Vette_Manuel
You are a heartless SOB and it is a shame it wasn't you in the car....
Pot meet kettle

You lambaste everyone about their insensitivity and end your post with that.

Irony at its finest.

Old 06-12-2015, 04:59 PM
FruiTay
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Daniel Flowers, a friend of Jims says:
"Not a suicide and not a stupid man. He was a good friend of mine for 17 years. Jim was a muscle car guy his whole life. He was constantly trading for project cars and after having perfected them would trade for the next. He dreamed of owning a Vette since he was a teen. He finally traded a Firebird for a 96 which he polished and tinkered with for more than a year. Then after recently becoming single he decided "Why not?" And found the 07. He only had it a few weeks before this event. Here are some facts. The average man cannot break a window without a pointed or edged impact tool. I am a firefighter/medic and have seen ball peen hammers and police flashlights bounce right off door glass. Jimmy was very fastidious and kept his car immaculate and clutter free so he had no tools. He was mechanically adept and evidence was found he had tried to access the latch to the rear hatch. Evidence was also found he had gone thru the manual. It was a 95 degree day with Gulf coast humitity. Jim was a 72 year old diabetic with arthritic and while still a fairly hearty man would certainly be overcome faster than a younger, healthier man which could explain why he didn't find the emergency levers referenced in the manual. He loved that dog like a child and would've walked over hot coals into the gates of hell to protect her. I attended his funeral less than 14 hours ago. He was sent to God with a Corvette ball cap on his head. Personally I'd like to burn that cap and the car with it. Far as I'm concerned a big responsibility goes to whoever sold him the car for not pointing out the critical release lever. Jim only looked optimistically forward. Suicide would never be in the picture. He was an Army veteran, serving with distinction. He was a very good friend and neighbor to me and one of the most superlative humans I ever had the honor of knowing."

I agree that the majority of the replies on this topic are from incredibly insensitive jerks who think they know everything. I'm not surprised though. A friend of mine had a near death accident in the Corvette that his girlfriend did die in and what do ya know? Jerks commented like they knew what happened and spun it negatively. It makes me sick.
Yes, we're here to discuss but not act like p.o.s.. I hope no one close to you dies in a tragedy so you have to feel what's it's like. I doubt you would talk like this otherwise.

Rest in peace Jim and your dog that was cute as hell, too.
Old 06-12-2015, 05:02 PM
corvettecop
Advanced

Originally Posted by TennisFreak
Pot meet kettle

You lambaste everyone about their insensitivity and end your post with that.

Irony at its finest.

How about this quote from me- you are a heartless person. If I ever have the pleasure of coming upon you in distress while on duty, I'll be only too happy to wait and observe REAL irony.

Please close this thread.
Old 06-12-2015, 05:49 PM
meyerweb
Safety Car

Received 483 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by FLS2K
I was certain one was mentioned to me but, upon further review, I sure don't see it. My mistake.
I was hoping you had discovered a secret.
Old 06-12-2015, 07:41 PM
J_Vette_Manuel
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Frankly, a lot of keyboard super heroes who talk all tough.... Frankly, it isn't pot meet kettle. World is better off with less heartless people.

Callous and cold hearted some of you are... Whatever makes you feel great... Now go drive your Vette and enjoy your life.... Out.
Old 06-12-2015, 07:42 PM
janicept
Racer

I saw the headline for that story on MSN but didn't read it. I can't believe it was a C6. I did that in my garage the first month I had my C6. I can't remember how I got out but then I went on the forum and learned about the release. My battery wasn't dead it was something about the fob being in the kitchen and not in the car and then I did something in the car that activated the anti-theft system. I think I just had to hit the unlock button on the door.

Wouldn't the horn work?
Old 06-12-2015, 07:48 PM
janicept
Racer

Originally Posted by FruiTay
"Not a suicide and not a stupid man. He was a good friend of mine for 17 years. Jim was a muscle car guy his whole life. He was constantly trading for project cars and after having perfected them would trade for the next. He dreamed of owning a Vette since he was a teen. He finally traded a Firebird for a 96 which he polished and tinkered with for more than a year. Then after recently becoming single he decided "Why not?" And found the 07. He only had it a few weeks before this event. Here are some facts. The average man cannot break a window without a pointed or edged impact tool. I am a firefighter/medic and have seen ball peen hammers and police flashlights bounce right off door glass. Jimmy was very fastidious and kept his car immaculate and clutter free so he had no tools. He was mechanically adept and evidence was found he had tried to access the latch to the rear hatch. Evidence was also found he had gone thru the manual. It was a 95 degree day with Gulf coast humitity. Jim was a 72 year old diabetic with arthritic and while still a fairly hearty man would certainly be overcome faster than a younger, healthier man which could explain why he didn't find the emergency levers referenced in the manual. He loved that dog like a child and would've walked over hot coals into the gates of hell to protect her. I attended his funeral less than 14 hours ago. He was sent to God with a Corvette ball cap on his head. Personally I'd like to burn that cap and the car with it. Far as I'm concerned a big responsibility goes to whoever sold him the car for not pointing out the critical release lever. Jim only looked optimistically forward. Suicide would never be in the picture. He was an Army veteran, serving with distinction. He was a very good friend and neighbor to me and one of the most superlative humans I ever had the honor of knowing."

I agree that the majority of the replies on this topic are from incredibly insensitive jerks who think they know everything. I'm not surprised though. A friend of mine had a near death accident in the Corvette that his girlfriend did die in and what do ya know? Jerks commented like they knew what happened and spun it negatively. It makes me sick.
Yes, we're here to discuss but not act like p.o.s.. I hope no one close to you dies in a tragedy so you have to feel what's it's like. I doubt you would talk like this otherwise.

Rest in peace Jim and your dog that was cute as hell, too.

So sorry to hear this was your friend and also that people were wondering if it was suicide.

My C6 was the first vehicle I had that was power locks like that. I made sure there was a latch in my C7 just like the C6 had.

So sad.
Old 06-12-2015, 08:39 PM
baron95
Racer

Received 271 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by FruiTay
"Not a suicide and not a stupid man.
There is no way he knows that.

I get it that it is a tragedy and the family and friends must be devastated. My sympathies.

But discussing the reasons without emotion IS important also. Because it affects or may affect future GM designs, insurance rates, resale value of Corvettes, etc, etc, etc.

Mr. Flowers is right to come to his friend's defense - but he is emotionally attached. He can not be impartial. So anything he says is from that point of view - to deflect responsibility and blame from his friend. Understandable, yes. But hardly makes his word the last.

How does he know that the dog "the love of his life" didn't die in the car because he left the dog locked while he ate at the restaurant? How does he know that being "recently single" (trauma 1) and causing the death of his dog (trauma 2) didn't put him over the edge?

This guy either was very poorly informed about his car or had a serious mental/emotional condition. Anyone else would easily have extricated themselves.

Discussing what the real causes are is important. Because it affects the reputation of the product (Corvette) and the company (GM) that makes the second most expensive product many of us own.

Just because there was a tragedy does not mean we shouldn't discuss the causes.

People coming here and calling people names and trying to shut down debate are the real closed minded losers.
Old 06-12-2015, 10:21 PM
J_Vette_Manuel
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

This is incredible! A debate amongst what occurred on an Internet forum has no bearing on ANY outcome as it relates to insurance rates and product design.

This isn't even relevant to this part of the forum and indeed should be closed or moved as it shows little reverence to the passing of this person... Maybe it should be moved to the forum section for members who have passed on? How does this fall under "General C7 discussion"?

I don't know the person and don't fit the demographic of ownership for a C7, my point being is that I'm truly surprised and saddened that people who "love" the same car can show such little dignity and respect. Incredible.
Old 06-13-2015, 12:37 AM
WannaC5Z
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by pjitty
Am I missing something. So he could not call for help on his Cell Phone. Nobody at the restaurant noticed him and his dog locked inside his car. He couldn't pop the roof off from the inside. I hope I never get that old that I can't get out of a locked car...
Add to that could he not have broke out his side window?!? 72 years old is not that old. He should have been strong enough to either lean back and kick it out or find something to crack it. This is crazy. I bet he had a heart attack and then his dog died from heat exhaustion.
Old 06-13-2015, 02:10 AM
amphora001
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

I have an honest question about that particular C6. Does it have a targa top? if so, you can always open the roof can't you? If not, I can understand it would be difficult to find the release latch.
Old 06-13-2015, 05:02 AM
DAFFYDRUNK
Melting Slicks

Received 289 Likes on 238 Posts

I don't think I said anything particularly cold, but I suppose I'm about to? If you die in your car because you got stuck in it while it was hot out, what was the dog going through as it sat in the car while the guy was at the restaurant? If you love your dog like a child, leave it at home in the AC. Was this guy morbidly obese by chance? Super big gut may explain the inability to find the door releases.
Old 06-13-2015, 07:55 AM
F&Yb0dluvr
Drifting

Originally Posted by amphora001
I have an honest question about that particular C6. Does it have a targa top? if so, you can always open the roof can't you? If not, I can understand it would be difficult to find the release latch.
For those that don't know I'm going to give a quick history lesson.since 1953 62 years only a tiny percentage of Corvettes are hardtops and unable to remove the roof or top they are

63-67 Coupe
99-04 Fixed Roof Coupe(including Z06)
06-13 Z06
09-13 ZR1

That's it...and every C1, C3, C4 and C7 has a removable roof or top...it amazes me some are talking about latches on the floor you may or may not know are there and kicking out windows when it should be almost common knowledge if you have a Corvette it more than likely is one of the millions with a removable roof and there are latches right above your head! This man wasn't some snot nosed millenial asking a salesman "does the top come off on this kind of car?" The man was 72 and lived through every generation of Corvettes...

Last edited by F&Yb0dluvr; 06-13-2015 at 08:19 AM.
Old 06-13-2015, 09:20 AM
btorlv
Pro

Received 183 Likes on 93 Posts

My salesmen did show me the latch's when we took delivery. Until I read thread I had forgotten all about it. RIP

Get notified of new replies

To Man trapped in his Corvette dies from heat.

Old 06-13-2015, 10:49 AM
desertmike1
Melting Slicks

Received 50 Likes on 49 Posts

Very Sad Indeed! This should be a lesson learned for all of us..

Why didn't he use his Cell phone?

Old 06-13-2015, 11:16 AM
Denstoy968
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is a very very sad story - not the way anyone should go out in this crazy life we live! I liked the letter from Daniel Flowers as we often think more about the story than the actual person involved and it was nice to get a little background of who the victim was in this case especially with a lot of the comments that followed.

I received my C7Z in March (ordered in Sept - it was an A8 thus the long wait) - Anyway....The first few days I owned it, the driver door would get stuck. I remember the first time it happened, I had a little panic come over me and I started to think about all the options if I couldn't open the door - the rear hatch was option 1 and removing the roof top was my option 2 in case the latch didn't work for some reason. In that moment, I actually had to be in the same position as the victim here thinking about what to do. In my case, I did remember something about a release as I did read through the entire manual online even before my car got here (I had 6 months to do a lot of reading from time I ordered until it's arrival lol) but it took me a few minutes to find it and walaa - I had such a sense of relief but irritated that my brand new car door was getting stuck. As it turned out, I wasn't applying any pressure on the door when opening - I would push button and after hearing click Id push out and it got stuck. Figured out pretty quickly that you needed to just push a little as you pushed the button - I felt like such a bonehead - then I thought...gee why didn't GM just use a nice door handle but I know this has been a Vette thing for some time. Reading this story brought me back to that first little panic I had and wished that this guy figured it out - even if he didn't know about the release, I wish he just tried to climb out the rear and if that didn't work then pop the roof and get out. I hate seeing stories like this as it seemed like it was preventable but maybe there was more to the story than we know. The worse part of this is that he accidentally left his cell phone in the restaurant - probably a fluke - crazy how things happen! This was just tragic - plain and simple. My heart goes out to him and to his family and friends! 😔
Old 06-13-2015, 11:24 AM
lottavettes
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I want to see the autopsy. Some clues here. "Recently Single". Death or divorce, both traumatic. Trapped? A quick assumption. We don't have any facts yet.

Quick Reply: Man trapped in his Corvette dies from heat.