Sponsored by:

Maintenance on Z51 vs non-Z51

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2015, 09:06 PM
Matthew C
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Maintenance on Z51 vs non-Z51

Hi, I am new to this forum so I want to apologize for any mistakes I make, and for making a new thread if there is already an existing one similar to this.

I am about a week away from buying a c7, and I've been having a very hard time finding any information about the maintenance costs the z51's larger brakes (that I've heard have only half the life of the non z51's) and different tires and the dry sump oil system. Mainly what I am wondering is how long do the brakes last on the z51 vs the non z51? Assuming tracking the car once a month. Also, is the tire life much different? The price difference between the brakes and tires on the z51 vs non z51 aren't a really big issue, the issue is the life of each of those components. Also, I've read that the dry sump system requires 3 more quarts of oil, which isn't really a big deal either, but I wanted to check the validity of these things.

I've found a perfect car for me but it’s the z51 and so I've kind of ignored it because I assumed it has significantly more maintenance and I’m really trying to steer away from high maintenance, but I figured that I should try to find out if my assumption is correct before I disregard the z51's.

one more thing I was curious about was the usability of the z51 tires in the rain, I’ll be living in Texas and won’t really need to worry about it too much, but if they are significantly worse than the non z51 to the point where they aren't even functional if under 40 degrees or raining than that's something that would be good to know about.

Thanks a lot in advance to anyone who would be able to help me out with this, I really appreciate it!

Matthew C
Old 05-29-2015, 09:16 PM
John Ulrich
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 270 Likes on 199 Posts

Congrats on considering a C7. I'm sure some racers will stop in to share costs of one track day a month. I'm sure the smiles per mile will make all costs bearable.
Old 05-29-2015, 09:18 PM
bob guzzy
Safety Car

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

I would buy a z51 again, the difference in part prices wasn't enough to worry about.

I bought new Micheline AS3's tires for this car because I didn't want the run flat tires on it, they were the exact same price as I paid for my c6 tires a few months earlier

I bought the z51 for the technology and the resale value of the car when I sell it
Old 05-29-2015, 10:53 PM
benapm1
Pro

Received 109 Likes on 45 Posts

No brainier z51
Old 05-29-2015, 10:57 PM
grandpawmoses
Race Director

Received 95 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Matthew C
Assuming tracking the car once a month.
If you're serious about tracking it, get the Z51. And I believe the Z51 and non Z51 tires are the same except for size.
Old 05-30-2015, 01:36 AM
Matthew C
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys thanks a ton for all of your input. I'm definitely re-thinking the z51 package now, but I'm still wondering about the difference in the life of the brakes. I heard that they only last half as long, which is worrisome. Also, is the z51 any less reliable? How about the handling in the rain or weather under 40 degrees? Thanks again!
Old 05-30-2015, 02:13 AM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,106 Likes on 6,184 Posts

Michelin tire info:
Both versions employ an asymmetric tread design that features a low-void outboard shoulder for cornering while their notched center ribs and inboard shoulder promote high-speed performance in dry conditions. Wide circumferential grooves and lateral notches help channel water through the footprint to maintain wet traction. Sizes for the standard Corvette Stingray use a single tread rubber compound that blends dry traction, wet traction and tread life; while the sizes for Z51 equipped cars feature side-by-side tread compounds that deliver near-racing-slick dry grip and handling levels, without abandoning tread life and wet handling.

Both tires feature twin steel belts reinforced by spirally wound Twaron cord. The angles at which the steel belts are molded into each version have been tuned to balance performance and comfort. The steel belt angles used for the standard car emphasize ride and treadlife, while the angles used for the Z51 tires focus on increasing performance and at-the-limit handling.

Twaron is a polyamide cord that offers a lightweight, high-strength reinforcement above the steel belts to enhance high-speed handling, wear and durability. It is applied using Michelin FAZ Technology (Filament At Zero degrees) that allows Michelin engineers to tune tension and strength by winding the cord around the tire circumference much the same way fishing line is wound onto a fishing reel.

Michelin Zero Pressure Technology reinforces sidewalls by adding run-flat inserts that allow tires to temporarily carry the weight of the vehicle in the event a puncture results in complete loss of tire pressure. The Pilot Super Sport ZP is designed to allow Corvette drivers to continue their journey for up to 50 miles at up to 55 mph. Both tires feature asymmetric run-flat inserts and casing components designed to broaden tire performances by focusing distinct functions on the appropriate sidewall. Inboard sidewalls feature a more rigid insert that increases sidewall stability to provide the majority of run-flat capability, as well as to transfer torque during acceleration, braking and cornering. Outboard sidewalls feature a softer insert that increases sidewall flexibility to maintain footprint size when cornering, as well as to enhance ride quality and tread life.

Both Z51 and base tires are UTQG 300 AA A rated.

I drive my Z51 year round in the DFW area. Driven responsibly, rain and 40 degree temps are not a problem.
Old 05-30-2015, 07:11 AM
LIStingray
Melting Slicks

Received 461 Likes on 284 Posts

If you are going to track the car, the Z51 is the better choice irrespective of the higher maintenance costs.
Old 05-30-2015, 08:20 AM
frankb
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by LIStingray
If you are going to track the car, the Z51 is the better choice irrespective of the higher maintenance costs.
I agree. That is why I went with the base 2LT.
Old 05-30-2015, 09:03 AM
iclick
Melting Slicks

Received 618 Likes on 420 Posts

Originally Posted by LIStingray
Right, and if not tracked the Z51 might be overkill. For me it was and I picked the ZF1 (Z51 Appearance Package) instead. For street use I don't need a 10-qt. dry-sump system; larger brakes that resist fade in a racing environment, create more brake dust, and wear faster; eLSD with cooler; lower gearing that would marginally affect gas mileage on the street; and shock and sway bar upgrades that will affect ride with only a slight performance advantage. The car will do >1.0G on the skidpad in any configuration, better than almost any other car on the road, so for my needs going with the non-Z51 made more sense for street use. The Z51 will raise trade-in value but only a fraction of the original cost, so you're paying for it on that end, too.

I'm not putting down the Z51, as for track use it would be a logical choice. But for street use, my bang-for-the-buck calculations suggest that it isn't.

Last edited by iclick; 05-30-2015 at 09:05 AM.
Old 05-30-2015, 09:13 AM
motomanvette
Melting Slicks

Received 89 Likes on 65 Posts

I would go with Z51 even if you don't track the car. Read about the eLSD that only the Z has. Benefits car handling even when not at the track.
BUT...if you plan to drive the car like your great grand dad, then the non-Z51 should do.
Old 05-30-2015, 09:16 AM
Roadrogue
Burning Brakes

Received 93 Likes on 74 Posts

Does Z51 have a thicker radiator than base model?
Old 05-30-2015, 09:20 AM
Mdm23
Drifting

Received 75 Likes on 36 Posts

If you're torn between the two, I'd go ahead and get a Z51. I have one that will never see a road course. I always go for the most features I can comfortably afford. That way I have no regrets and am not left wondering "what if".
Old 05-30-2015, 09:22 AM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 951 Likes on 498 Posts
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by motomanvette
I would go with Z51 even if you don't track the car. Read about the eLSD that only the Z has. Benefits car handling even when not at the track.
BUT...if you plan to drive the car like your great grand dad, then the non-Z51 should do.

What a load of crap,, ...but what I totally expect after a year's worth of these z51/ base threads....
Old 05-30-2015, 09:31 AM
Keith N
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by iclick
Right, and if not tracked the Z51 might be overkill. For me it was and I picked the ZF1 (Z51 Appearance Package) instead. For street use I don't need a 10-qt. dry-sump system; larger brakes that resist fade in a racing environment, create more brake dust, and wear faster; eLSD with cooler; lower gearing that would marginally affect gas mileage on the street; and shock and sway bar upgrades that will affect ride with only a slight performance advantage. The car will do >1.0G on the skidpad in any configuration, better than almost any other car on the road, so for my needs going with the non-Z51 made more sense for street use. The Z51 will raise trade-in value but only a fraction of the original cost, so you're paying for it on that end, too.

I'm not putting down the Z51, as for track use it would be a logical choice. But for street use, my bang-for-the-buck calculations suggest that it isn't.
Those are valid points for you not buying the Z51 package for yourself, but you would have gotten all of the Z51 extra features for less than $1800 or less than 3% difference. A potentially higher used car value, better brakes, trans cooler, differential cooler, limited slip differential, better shocks, better sway bars and the opportunity to add the magnetic ride control suspension. For me, the Z51 package was a no brainer!
Old 05-30-2015, 09:33 AM
iclick
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by motomanvette
Originally Posted by Glen e
What a load of crap,, ...but what I totally expect after a year's worth of these z51/ base threads....
My great grandad probably wouldn't be taxing a car that would do >1.0G on the skidpad, which any C7 will do. Mostly likely 99.99% of the public wouldn't either.
Old 05-30-2015, 09:34 AM
RedC7AZ
Race Director

Received 534 Likes on 334 Posts

C7 has a Weather driving mode. That should help in rain. Can't speak from experience as I have not driven on any of the 4 rainy days we've had here the past 13 months.

Another tip - The C7 without Z51 option is NOT reserved only for those that drive like old people. We hear that stuff sometimes from guys with the Z51 option that feel the need for justificstion. You can ignore that kind of remark. For the street you can drive the cars that have "just" the LSD aggresively. eLSD will add some benefit at the very upper end of the aggressive street driving scale.

Get notified of new replies

To Maintenance on Z51 vs non-Z51

Old 05-30-2015, 09:36 AM
iclick
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Keith N
Those are valid points for you not buying the Z51 package for yourself...."
That's why I inserted "for me" in my commentary.

...but you would have gotten all of the Z51 extra features for less than $1800 or less than 3% difference. A potentially higher used car value, better brakes, trans cooler, differential cooler, limited slip differential, better shocks, better sway bars and the opportunity to add the magnetic ride control suspension. For me, the Z51 package was a no brainer!
For you, but you won't get your full $1800 back in trade-in, so you're still paying for it. I fully understand that the Z51 has value for some who do not track their cars.
Old 05-30-2015, 09:50 AM
judgeman70
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Keith N
Those are valid points for you not buying the Z51 package for yourself, but you would have gotten all of the Z51 extra features for less than $1800 or less than 3% difference. A potentially higher used car value, better brakes, trans cooler, differential cooler, limited slip differential, better shocks, better sway bars and the opportunity to add the magnetic ride control suspension. For me, the Z51 package was a no brainer!
A base c7 with 460 horsepower doesn't have limited slip?
Old 05-30-2015, 10:07 AM
Mike Campbell
Le Mans Master

Received 1,069 Likes on 592 Posts

judgeman70: A base c7 with 460 horsepower doesn't have limited slip?
Where'd you get that impression? Of course it does. It just doesn't have the eLSD (electronically controlled rear differential). This is better for road racing but of course that's why the Z51 package cost more along with the tires, brakes and sway bars.

Quick Reply: Maintenance on Z51 vs non-Z51