Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What I learned at Spring Mountain Level 1

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2015, 01:44 PM
WesC7
Burning Brakes

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Anyone know what's the "Grace" period for booking Spring Mountain? I picked up my C7 6 days ago. But no time to squeeze in SM trip until late this fall or winter....

In other words, how long does a new owner have to take advantage of the $1000 trip?
Old 05-20-2015, 01:58 PM
LrgZ51
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WesC7
Anyone know what's the "Grace" period for booking Spring Mountain? I picked up my C7 6 days ago. But no time to squeeze in SM trip until late this fall or winter....

In other words, how long does a new owner have to take advantage of the $1000 trip?
One year from your delivery date
Old 05-20-2015, 02:23 PM
JUSTCRZN
Instructor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by deric
I learned everything already mentioned and:
We had a mix of 14's & 15's

Our 3rd day was a mix of 1st timers and folks doing a day refresher before starting level 2 the next day.

My group had at least 2 A8's on day 3. Never heard of any over heating problems.

I had a DSOM all day on day 2 and Laguna Blue on day 3. Both manuals. Did not get a car with Mag ride.

I'll never figure out heel & toe, rev matching is great but took some getting used too. I way over braked at first.

Good technique requires very little heavy breaking.

The figure 8 skid pad training not only fun but a great handling exercise. Believe in the weather mode it works!

The anti-lock breaking exercise was also good but breaking zone needs to be slicker to get a longer distance to practice steering with your foot jammed to the floor.

Trying to drive precisely and smoothly pays greater benefits than trying to go fast.

Getting passed is no big deal let them by early in the passing zone so you don't lose your momentum. Accept the fact the there are going to be folks faster you.

I felt that the Comp Seat with suede inserts and suede steering wheel made it easier to drive, Kept me from sliding around and steering wheel grip was easier.

We were told that any time your tracking a automatic car use the manual mode and shift up around 5700rpm. Their words of wisdom were something like if you continually allow the computer to force the shift at redline (car in drive foot on the floor) you will break something.
Same class
Old 05-20-2015, 02:26 PM
johnnypro
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Do you have to register before 1 year after the delivery date, or does your class have to before 1 year after the delivery date?

I hear they're booked pretty solid and it's coming up close to my one year anniversary, so not sure if I can actually attend a class within one year.
Old 05-20-2015, 02:49 PM
socalspringmountain
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 418 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnypro
Do you have to register before 1 year after the delivery date, or does your class have to before 1 year after the delivery date?

I hear they're booked pretty solid and it's coming up close to my one year anniversary, so not sure if I can actually attend a class within one year.
Hi!

You have 1 year to register and take the class..from the delivery of your package that gets mailed to each owner.
Old 05-20-2015, 03:12 PM
Jedi-Jurist
Pro

Received 141 Likes on 72 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Ditto everything the OP said. After the class, I found I preferred the MRC and PTM and wish I would have gotten the Alcantara. Did the 3 day and it was definitely worth the extra money. I just wish they'd (1) have all 2015+ cars with PDRs (it was no fun fighting over those cars) and (2) give you a night's stay there for each of the days you'll be at the track. At present, you only get one night included for a three day session. We just spent the other two nights in Vegas.
Old 05-20-2015, 03:22 PM
johnnypro
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by socalspringmountain
Hi!

You have 1 year to register and take the class..from the delivery of your package that gets mailed to each owner.
Thanks for the quick reply . I'll definitely try to get my *** registered before the year is up. Can't afford not to with all the praise Spring Mountain has been getting!
Old 05-20-2015, 03:45 PM
OldJedi
Drifting

Received 615 Likes on 336 Posts

Originally Posted by Gmoney61
I'm heading out there in late June. The materials suggest buying driving shoes. I never knew such a thing existed. Are they necessary or helpful??
I bought a pair of racing shoes to take to the class, RJS cost me $70.00. They did not help me learn heel/toe any better. About 25% of the class had driving shoes the rest were running shoes. I hope you are better at heal/toe than I am, just could not get it dialed in right.
Old 05-20-2015, 03:50 PM
OldJedi
Drifting

Originally Posted by johnnypro

If you are getting close, call out there and book a class before your anniversary date. I believe you have to book the class before the anniversary but not necessarily have to take the class before the year. But call out there and find out for sure. 1-800-391-6891. It is the best $1100.00 mod you can spend.
Old 05-20-2015, 03:53 PM
RussM05
Melting Slicks

Received 1,015 Likes on 365 Posts

Originally Posted by OldJedi
If you are getting close, call out there and book a class before your anniversary date. I believe you have to book the class before the anniversary but not necessarily have to take the class before the year. But call out there and find out for sure. 1-800-391-6891. It is the best $1100.00 mod you can spend.
I booked mine before the expiration date and took the class 3 months later due to all the classes were full.
Old 05-20-2015, 04:48 PM
Barry6
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I tried to book the 3 day class in March, but the classes were booked solid. I signed up for the June 1-3 class and can't wait to go. Everyone is very enthusiastic about the experience.
Old 05-20-2015, 05:19 PM
Vette_It_be
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'll be there the first week in July. Can't wait.
Old 05-20-2015, 05:30 PM
OldJedi
Drifting

Originally Posted by Barry6
I tried to book the 3 day class in March, but the classes were booked solid. I signed up for the June 1-3 class and can't wait to go. Everyone is very enthusiastic about the experience.
Take an SD card with you and ask the instructors for cars with a PDR. Set it to track and do not forget to start record BEFORE you get on the track. Set the finish line (One Time Only) anywhere on the track and it will remember the location each time you turn the PDR on to record a session. Enjoy, have fun.

Last edited by OldJedi; 05-20-2015 at 05:32 PM.
Old 05-20-2015, 05:36 PM
RussM05
Melting Slicks

Received 1,015 Likes on 365 Posts

Originally Posted by OldJedi
Take an SD card with you and ask the instructors for cars with a PDR. Set it to track and do not forget to start record BEFORE you get on the track. Set the finish line (One Time Only) anywhere on the track and it will remember the location each time you turn the PDR on to record a session. Enjoy, have fun.
One more important thing...

You should choose what data is recorded and displayed when you play back.

I like to show MPH, RPM, Gs, gear, where you are on the track and elapsed time. Some of the cars didn't have all that set up.
Old 05-20-2015, 06:01 PM
probono
Pro

Received 91 Likes on 68 Posts

During July and August, the package includes TWO free nights.

Ken
Old 05-20-2015, 06:29 PM
digbyamb
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Vette_It_be
I'll be there the first week in July. Can't wait.
I am there on July 2 and 3.......
Old 05-20-2015, 06:48 PM
Jedi-Jurist
Pro

Received 141 Likes on 72 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by RussM05
One more important thing...

You should choose what data is recorded and displayed when you play back.

I like to show MPH, RPM, Gs, gear, where you are on the track and elapsed time. Some of the cars didn't have all that set up.
Much to my chagrin, some joker had previously set it up for 0-60 and not the track. There goes the good data!

Get notified of new replies

To What I learned at Spring Mountain Level 1

Old 05-20-2015, 08:04 PM
Skidplate
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 207 Likes on 122 Posts

My buddy and I took the 2 day class a few weeks ago. Since each registered person gets a one night stay at the resort included with the class cost, we requested one room with two beds and they gave us two nights at no extra cost. I did have to ask the garage guys for some earplugs for the second night for snore reduction.
Old 05-21-2015, 12:25 AM
Cliff358
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi!

What "package" are you talking about? Is this something the dealer sends or GM? When does it normally come? Inquiring minds want to know!
Old 05-21-2015, 12:43 AM
Skidplate
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 207 Likes on 122 Posts

Hi!

Actually, you do not need wait until you receive your 'package' from GM.

Just contact Spring Mountain with your VIN and make a reservation.

Waiting for the package is not necesssary and will waste time.

Quick Reply: What I learned at Spring Mountain Level 1