Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,669 Likes on 8,312 Posts

Bet mine was simpler than yours.
Old 09-24-2016, 06:22 PM
Gvnski
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 48 Posts

Looks like it was for a one size container. Good work!
Old 09-24-2016, 06:37 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,669 Likes on 8,312 Posts

The felt pads firmly secure every container I've ever tried to put in it, a standard 12 oz can, plastic water bottle, and it grips my standard coffee mug even better.

Old 09-25-2016, 07:43 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,643 Likes on 6,643 Posts

Originally Posted by Gvnski
I'm glad that your solution has worked for you but I simply chose to go in a direction that didn't require glue, wood blocks, velcro, screws, or permanently modifying an original part of the Corvette. I simply took a spring loaded insert from a Camry, modified it to fit the C7's unmodified
space and put it into place. Works for me. Thanks for your response.
My last simple solution Does NOT use a wood block, screws, silicone or Velcro on the insert! I used UV activated plastic adhesive after removing the 3/32 rubber mat that is on the bottom of the cup holder. A 10 minute task! It secures the OEM insert perfectly.

To each his own and folks can decide if they want to buy and modify a Camry Insert or use UV activated plastic adhesive. I make the PDF's with full details so folks can duplicate what I've done if they wish.

Just providing options, but if both approaches make a poor design work to hold bottles at hi "g" forces more choices for others!
Old 09-25-2016, 09:04 PM
Gymbow
Racer

Received 181 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by meyerweb
This looks like an interesting option. Appears to mount like the Travel Buddy, but folds up when not in use so it won't take away passenger's leg room. but it may be hard to reach from the driver's seat.

http://www.theclearoption.com/
Bought one of these for the passenger to use as I have the center console ones for my stuff. The clean option holder is quite clever, unobtrusive when not in use and effective as the holder arms adjust to the size of the cup to hold it securely. Well made.
The following users liked this post:
Gvnski (09-25-2016)
Old 09-25-2016, 09:08 PM
alamo1974
Drifting

Received 82 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by rcooper
Cheap fix. I cut up couple of coozies and use them as liners. can't show pics am at work.
cheap and it works
Old 09-25-2016, 09:13 PM
Gvnski
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 48 Posts

Bought one of these for the passenger to use as I have the center console ones for my stuff. The clean option holder is quite clever, unobtrusive when not in use and effective as the holder arms adjust to the size of the cup to hold it securely. Well made.[/QUOTE]

I use a couple those in my bass boat and they work very well even in rough water, fold up nicely out of the way when not in use.
Old 03-09-2017, 02:59 PM
guchino
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default $2.95 eBay cupholder

Originally Posted by jmoses52
So the cup holders suck on the C7, anyone have any mods or cup holder inserts they recommend for the stock cup holders. I can't even keep a water bottle in the cup holder as soon as I turn it falls out which is kind of annoying.
I found these cupholders on eBay for $2.95. used a Dremel tool to make a small mod by cutting a notch out of one side of the cupholder where the original divider clip would go. The cupholder fits so snug that no adhesive is needed. You won't be able to close the lid but the drinks won't spill. I'm not sure what the rings do but they seem to hold the water bottle or cups in place when they are put up. Normal water bottles won't fit unless you put the rings up. If the link doesn't work search "dual truck cupholder" on eBay. What have got to lose. It's $2.95. Give it a try.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/262433237376

Last edited by guchino; 03-10-2017 at 11:13 AM. Reason: Better accuracy
Old 03-09-2017, 11:57 PM
teddycarnut
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

I use the felt from chair bottoms I learned on thr rorum. Works great and cheap fix from home depot.
Old 03-10-2017, 12:20 AM
Rooster OG
Le Mans Master

Received 1,694 Likes on 1,240 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

I got a mugzie, fits perfect!

Old 03-10-2017, 09:10 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,931 Likes on 4,811 Posts

Originally Posted by LEJ ZO6
WOW ! This post is great !

If all we have to complain about are cup holders these cars are TERRIFIC !
Old 03-10-2017, 09:32 AM
defaria
Safety Car

Received 1,203 Likes on 732 Posts

Originally Posted by SharkGrayStingray
anyone try one of these? hxxp://www.bellautomotive.com/Octopus-Drink-Holder-Black-p/22-1-00051-8.htm
hxxp? Really?
Old 03-10-2017, 09:34 AM
defaria
Safety Car

Originally Posted by vdavenp802
Cup holders don't suck, they are perfect, unless you drink nothing but
BIG GULP and smoothies.
It's not holding cups that I have a problem with (though I agree that tall skinny drinks will fall over) it's that the center thing does not sit in there still and constantly moving along. Basically the fit is not snug.
Old 03-10-2017, 10:21 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by defaria
It's not holding cups that I have a problem with (though I agree that tall skinny drinks will fall over) it's that the center thing does not sit in there still and constantly moving along. Basically the fit is not snug.
FWIW. My recent solution holds a tall Vette bottle full of water in high "g" turns and 1++ "g" stops! It doesn't tip.

May not be what you want to do but it has worked in my 2104 and I will do the same for my GS on order. Basically, remove the ~3/32 thick rubber insert at the bottom of the recessed area (it lifts out.) Makes it deeper but most important allows the insert to be attached to a solid bottom! To secure the insert and prevent it from tilting (the basic problem) I use (and will use again for the new GS) RapidFix UV activated adhesive. Easy to use as you can make fillets on both sides and shape it as you wish, then turn on the UV light. I have use the stuff for a number of projects.

This is an updated 7 page picture PDF. No drilling, extra piece required: http://netwelding.com/Improved_cup_Holder.pdf

Used soft side of Velcro strips to make water bottle snug. Note, Used Velcro because it was the right thickness-IT DOES NOT ATTACH TO ANOTHER PIECE OF VELCRO, could use felt pads etc. Lid can close without the bottle but insert is permanently attached.

Last edited by JerryU; 03-10-2017 at 10:29 AM.
Old 03-10-2017, 10:27 AM
Phanni
Le Mans Master

Received 1,731 Likes on 847 Posts

Originally Posted by Flame Red
The Travel Buddies - pictured above are the best IMHO. However, the wife hates them since she sits in the passenger seat and they really cut down on her leg room. I put one in the C7 and on her first ride she opened the window and tossed them out!
WOW, they're kinda pricey to toss out the window.
Old 03-10-2017, 10:33 AM
defaria
Safety Car

Originally Posted by JerryU
FWIW. My recent solution holds a tall Vette bottle full of water in high "g" turns and 1++ "g" stops! It doesn't tip.

May not be what you want to do but it has worked in my 2104 and I will do the same for my GS on order. Basically, remove the ~3/32 thick rubber insert at the bottom of the recessed area (it lifts out.) Makes it deeper but most important allows the insert to be attached to a solid bottom! To secure the insert and prevent it from tilting (the basic problem) I use (and will use again for the new GS) RapidFix UV activated adhesive. Easy to use as you can make fillets on both sides and shape it as you wish, then turn on the UV light. I have use the stuff for a number of projects.
Scratching my head wondering why you specially called out my post to solve a problem that in the first few words of my post I expressly say I'm not concerned with (i.e. It's not holding cups that I have a problem with).
Old 03-10-2017, 11:45 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

^^^^
Because, this is what you said: "It's not holding cups that I have a problem with (though I agree that tall skinny drinks will fall over) it's that the center thing does not sit in there still and constantly moving along. Basically the fit is not snug."

Guess I'm confused! You said tall skinny drinks will fall over: my Vette bottle is tall and skinny but does not fall over in a fast stop or 1 "g" turn. Perhaps I misunderstood what you meant about the center "moving along." May not be what you meant but my "center thing" doesn't move at all! It's glued to the sold bottom.

My C7 cup holder is better than my C6 and I don't need the "Travel Buddy" that I had used in that '08. In addition, having to reach around the passenger grab bar in the C7 makes a Travel Buddy less usable, IMO.

I always have water to drink when driving. After making this bottle snug, it spilled water in a fast stop soon after I got the C7 in 2013. The center insert tilted forward an allowed the bottle to fall over. I was determined to fine a solution. I DID, at least for myself, TO EACH THEIR OWN!.

Basic problem is the insert is not held securely and will tilt forward in a fast stop. Easy solution, remove the 3/32 inch rubber pad in the recess and glue the inset to the base with a 1/4 inch leg fillet of UV Activated adhesive on both sides! Makes the holder 3/32 inches deeper as well.

Last edited by JerryU; 03-11-2017 at 09:32 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To C7 cup holder mods?

Old 03-02-2020, 10:36 PM
brentil
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 23 Posts

My 2014 cup holder was also designed by a freshman in college and has been flopping around for the last 5 years. I recently got a 3D printer so decided to try making an insert to go inside of the middle portion and add some neodymium magnets. I'm still experimenting with the depth of the insets for the magnets and the galvanized metal plate but it's definitely more stable than the piece of junk by itself. I think I have about a good 0.5-1 mm gap between the magnets and the metal which can drastically drop the attraction. The strips of metal came with 1/2" flat head screws but I replaced those with 1/4" ones instead. Looking at the service manual I could see there were no wires directly below the cup holders and just the tunnel a little further down. I'll take a sharpie to the metal to darken it instead of paint but to not add extra distance between the metal and magnets. Right now it's just wedge fit into the middle section but I'll eventually super glue it in.

Last edited by brentil; 03-02-2020 at 10:39 PM.
Old 03-03-2020, 11:57 AM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,053 Likes on 1,363 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Someone posted a fleabay link to the thin rubber inserts with fingers, like the ones that came standard on a C6. You can buy a GM part but much more expensive.
Buy a pair cheaply, push them into place, and for us at least the problems were solved.
If the insert sometimes comes out with your bottle or pop can, give the bottle/can a slight twist as you lift it up.
Or put a piece of mounting tape in the bottom of the stock cupholder, to keep the rubber from coming out.
Old 03-03-2020, 06:11 PM
Boxcar
Life Starts at 120 mph

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 185 Likes on 118 Posts
NCM Lifetime Member
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I have the "Stop Flop" cup holder, you can find here or in the Parts for sale section. Love it, strongly recommend it. Yes, it can be considered a little pricey, but it's worth it.
Sorry no pics, I'm at work.
Cheers

Quick Reply: C7 cup holder mods?