Sponsored by:

Second time in 20+ years - No Front Plate. This time it hurt

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2015, 09:26 AM
AFVETTE
Team Owner

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

Default Second time in 20+ years - No Front Plate. This time it hurt

I'm retired USAF currently working on a USAF base. I have not mounted the front plate (IL requires one) on ANY of my vette's for over 20 years. Never had an issue, until yesterday.

I needed to run to the base (commissary) to pick up some things since my son was headed home on his two weeks of deployment leave (just returned from Jordan) as I approach the main gate (Sunday morning at 7:30 am) there are two young Airman SF troops. I present my retired ID card and as it was being handed to me the guard pulled it back. Seems the second guard had noticed my missing front plate, he walks to the rear of my car and then asks if I have a front plate, not about to lie or make up some BS story I tell them I have a front plate, I just haven't mounted it.

He then says if he permits me on base he'll have to cite me. So they let me turn around and I return home. Of course they were professional and even complimented my car, my vanity plate (AFVETTE) and my service but the law is the law.

So I'll be mounting my front plate using the AEROPLATE mod.

Cheers
Old 05-18-2015, 09:37 AM
Stan0324
Drifting

Received 177 Likes on 109 Posts

So, what happens to you if they cite you ? Seems like you just had bad luck showing up at the gate when these two men were on duty. I did not know that you needed to have two plates on your car in order to enter a military base.
Old 05-18-2015, 09:49 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,700 Likes on 1,214 Posts

That settles it. I will never drive on another Air Force base.
Old 05-18-2015, 09:59 AM
W88fixer
Melting Slicks

Received 72 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Stan0324
So, what happens to you if they cite you ? Seems like you just had bad luck showing up at the gate when these two men were on duty. I did not know that you needed to have two plates on your car in order to enter a military base.
He lives in IL and the base is in IL, so absolutely he must mount whatever license/s the state requires. Bases follow state laws unless they contradict their own military regulations.

The contrary may also apply. For example, having a concealed handgun permit from the state where the base is located probably doesn’t give you diddly. I had a NM permit and if caught with a handgun on Kirtland AFB NM, even in the trunk of your car the penalty is one year loss of driving privileges. Don
Old 05-18-2015, 10:07 AM
AFVETTE
Team Owner

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by W88fixer
He lives in IL and the base is in IL, so absolutely he must mount whatever license/s the state requires. Bases follow state laws unless they contradict their own military regulations.

The contrary may also apply. For example, having a concealed handgun permit from the state where the base is located probably doesn’t give you diddly. I had a NM permit and if caught with a handgun on Kirtland AFB NM, even in the trunk of your car the penalty is one year loss of driving privileges. Don
Correct and even if the military citation wasn't reported to the state, it does get reported to my unit. X number of citations and I could loose my on base driving privileges regardless of what the state knows or does.

But I just checked with the SF LE Desk and yes the base is obligated to report ALL citations issued on base to the state.

Rules are rules. I'll happily comply.
Old 05-18-2015, 10:49 AM
Landru
Race Director

Received 1,047 Likes on 821 Posts

Originally Posted by AFVETTE
But I just checked with the SF LE Desk and yes the base is obligated to report ALL citations issued on base to the state. Rules are rules. I'll happily comply.
Don't know if the retractable bracket's available for C7 yet, but it'd be an ideal solution for your needs.
Coming on base simply flick a switch & plate swings-up & displays.
Leaving base flick switch & plate pivots under front end, unseen.

Would work when stopped by locals also, I'd wager few if any LEOs are aware such a contraption exists. Just an idea.
Old 05-18-2015, 10:53 AM
BBBOOMR
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I keep my front plate and some cable ties in my trunk just in case....
Old 05-18-2015, 10:54 AM
MikeLsx
Drifting

Received 200 Likes on 151 Posts

i hope my state never gets the front licenses plate law. takes away from the looks of the car.
Old 05-18-2015, 11:04 AM
-HAIRBALL-
Pro

Received 144 Likes on 100 Posts

I would drive a different car on base. I had a similar issue (tire issue on MCAS Miramar). I was told my tires extended past the fender so I needed to add fender flares in order to drive the truck on base. That was my daily driver so I did not have much choice.
Old 05-18-2015, 11:09 AM
Greg00Coupe
Race Director

Received 1,991 Likes on 1,148 Posts

We went to a wedding in Virginia Beach as some navy base where supposedly the seals train. Stayed 2 days as some really nice housing they had on base.

Were on a preapproved list........ we had to provide SS# and the like a month before the wedding.

What a joke that security was........ they just waved folks through. Asked can I help you? We said here for the wedding...... them go on through. Checked ID randomly.

2 or 3 folks in the guard shack......... no security.
Old 05-18-2015, 11:50 AM
kennb44
Instructor

Received 88 Likes on 48 Posts

Default Il sucks

I too live in IL and don't run a front plate. The only time I had a problem was when I was parked at Ohare. Now I know not to park there .
Old 05-18-2015, 11:59 AM
firefighting101
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Greg00Coupe
We went to a wedding in Virginia Beach as some navy base where supposedly the seals train. Stayed 2 days as some really nice housing they had on base.

Were on a preapproved list........ we had to provide SS# and the like a month before the wedding.

What a joke that security was........ they just waved folks through. Asked can I help you? We said here for the wedding...... them go on through. Checked ID randomly.

2 or 3 folks in the guard shack......... no security.
Those guards at the gate were there to warn you that SEALs were inside.

SEALs don't need protection, they protect us.
Old 05-18-2015, 12:40 PM
C6 MoneyPit
Melting Slicks

Received 123 Likes on 81 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'10, '15. '22-'23

Originally Posted by firefighting101
Those guards at the gate were there to warn you that SEALs were inside.

SEALs don't need protection, they protect us.
Well they would be in trouble if Chuck Norris decided to crash the wedding.
Old 05-18-2015, 12:57 PM
WesC7
Burning Brakes

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Just picked up my new C7 last week. Didn't put front plate on car.

I work at same location as you...AFVETTE.... I "WAS" planning on driving my C7 to work a couple times a week......that's not going to happen now.

Thanks for the heads-up!!
Old 05-18-2015, 12:59 PM
Ernest_T
Drifting

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Stan0324
Traffic court on a military installation for retirees is a federal magistrate.

Get notified of new replies

To Second time in 20+ years - No Front Plate. This time it hurt

Quick Reply: Second time in 20+ years - No Front Plate. This time it hurt