Sponsored by:

Transporting Experiences

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2015, 02:07 PM
parkingguy
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transporting Experiences

In early April, I placed an order for a 2015 Corvette Stingray Convertible with Kerbeck Corvette in Atlantic City, New Jersey. As I live in Valencia, California just outside Los Angeles, I will need to have the vehicle transported to my home in approximately mid-June. I am interested in the experiences any of you may have had in arranging transportation for your new Corvette. If you can provide input regarding the transport company you retained, the number of days it took for them to pick-up the vehicle from Kerbeck once you retained them, the cost of transporting the vehicle, the number of days it took to deliver the vehicle to you once Kerbeck released it to them and any positive or negative feedback you can offer, it would be much appreciated. I can be reached by phone at (213) 706-7790 or email me at parkingdesign@aol.com.
Old 05-11-2015, 02:25 PM
MJZ
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '15

I'm on about the same schedule as you on my purchase from Kerbeck. I do know one thing not to do, I was trying to get a ballpark guess on transporting from Kerbeck to Tennessee in early June so I clicked on one of these internet adds saying at least 5 quotes from one click. Within 24 hours I had received at least 75 quotes and a dozen phone calls and they are still bugging the heck out of me. Quotes ran from $450.00 to $2,000. for enclosed shipping. I did learn to do the same thing again for people I don't like.
Old 05-11-2015, 02:28 PM
oldfoggy
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

it's only 3 or four day . . . . hacew the time of your life . . . GO GET IT!
Old 05-11-2015, 02:46 PM
kcust62
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by parkingguy
In early April, I placed an order for a 2015 Corvette Stingray Convertible with Kerbeck Corvette in Atlantic City, New Jersey. As I live in Valencia, California just outside Los Angeles, I will need to have the vehicle transported to my home in approximately mid-June. I am interested in the experiences any of you may have had in arranging transportation for your new Corvette. If you can provide input regarding the transport company you retained, the number of days it took for them to pick-up the vehicle from Kerbeck once you retained them, the cost of transporting the vehicle, the number of days it took to deliver the vehicle to you once Kerbeck released it to them and any positive or negative feedback you can offer, it would be much appreciated. I can be reached by phone at (213) 706-7790 or email me at parkingdesign@aol.com.

Check out Thomas Sunday Auto Transport...he is located near New Kingston, PA and has an excellent closed haul reputation... See his website for a quote as he is not far from Kerbeck for a pickup.
Old 05-11-2015, 03:28 PM
Dave@Ciocca
Platinum Supporting Dealership

Received 1,656 Likes on 393 Posts

I'll say this about transportation companies.

When you get a quote there are a few things you should ask.

First, it it enclosed or open. Second, is the truck picking the car up owned by the company or is the company simply a dispatcher. Third, is the driver who picks the car up the same that will be bringing it to you or will the car be passed to multiple trucks.

The ones that are owned enclosed, owned by the company are usually the most expensive, but they are the safest. I've heard about cars getting passed between 4 and 5 different trucks (constantly being loaded and unloaded). I've had drivers show up with a trailer towed behind a pick up truck that were supposed to pick a Z06 up here and take it to Newark to meet another truck. I've had drivers show up who don't know the customers name or VIN and barely speak English. And I've had lots of drivers show up here and not do any inspection whatsoever.

If you are spending $60,000 - $100,000 on a new car, transportation is not the place to try to save $500 - $1,000.

I'm sure there are lots of great companies, but the ones we see the most and come highly recommended from our other customers are:

Thomas Sunday
Plycar
Horseless Carriage
Exotic Auto Transport
Reliable
Intercity

I'm not saying others aren't good, but these seem to be very popular and very reliable.

Dave
America's Corvette Dealership

email - dsalvatore@cioccadealerships.com
Showroom - 609-344-2100. Ext 1022
Text - 856-535-0407

Follow Ciocca Corvette on Instagram!

Old 05-11-2015, 03:40 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

Dave's recommendations are sound so you can't go wrong, except I'd have a problem recommending Reliable, but that's just from what I've seen here over 10 years.

Anyway, here's another recommendation from a member in Simi Valley who shipped from Kerbeck using Montway brokers (post 15). Others have followed his recommendation since and all have reported very satisfied.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1586037427
Old 05-11-2015, 03:51 PM
F4 Phantom
Melting Slicks

Received 490 Likes on 292 Posts

Originally Posted by RicK T
Dave's recommendations are sound so you can't go wrong, except I'd have a problem recommending Reliable, but that's just from what I've seen here over 10 years.

Anyway, here's another recommendation from a member in Simi Valley who shipped from Kerbeck using Montway brokers (post 15). Others have followed his recommendation since and all have reported very satisfied.

I followed slief's (Scott's) recommendation and used Montway. My C7 arrived from Kerbeck enclosed three weeks after his did. I'm in La Crescenta, CA. I was perfectly happy with Montway. It took five or six days total, including driving through a snowstorm on the East Coast.
Old 05-11-2015, 04:18 PM
Dave@Ciocca
Platinum Supporting Dealership

Received 1,656 Likes on 393 Posts

Originally Posted by RicK T

We actually don't see Reliable that often and we did have a customer who used him recently and they took forever to get there but I think he was in a more remote location so there's that.

I've heard Montway was good, but I don't know when they are used. They are a broker so when the independent driver shows up, I don't know if they are with Montway or another broker so I can't say for sure how good they are from my own experience.

Dave
Old 05-11-2015, 06:17 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,485 Likes on 1,947 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Some very wise advice above from Dave at Kerbeck.
Old 05-11-2015, 06:37 PM
Hopper12
Melting Slicks

Received 2,069 Likes on 984 Posts

I also purchased by vette from Kerbecks (awesome transaction! ) I used Montway because the others I called (Horseless and a few others) just didn't seem able to help me get things expedited. I asked the types of questions that Dave suggested, and when Montway arranged for the truck and driver they provided the cell phone number so I could speak to the driver and ask questions. Long story short, the driver picked up my car when he said he would, called me to verify he had inspected it and it was perfect (just like Amoni said it was), and gave me a delivery date of 4 days to my home in UT. Said he would be here at about noon on the 4th day. Called me each day to let me know he was on schedule. Arrived 5 minutes early.
Old 05-11-2015, 06:48 PM
jaden61
Melting Slicks

Received 335 Likes on 243 Posts
2017 C7 of the Year Finalist

Plycar.
Attached Images  

Last edited by jaden61; 05-11-2015 at 06:53 PM.
Old 05-11-2015, 06:51 PM
jaden61
Melting Slicks

be careful if seeking intercity or inter-city. One of them is a broker. yikes
Old 05-11-2015, 07:08 PM
jaden61
Melting Slicks

Owner is your neighbor.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=YazCAtxU8Nc
Old 05-11-2015, 08:18 PM
USARMYTTT
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

i used intercity...they are a forum sponsor and will give you a forum price. Car was delivered on time and perfect!!!
Old 05-11-2015, 09:58 PM
///ADMAN
Melting Slicks

Received 471 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by jaden61
Plycar.

Most places are about $1.00 per mile +/-

Old 05-11-2015, 10:33 PM
Classic-Chevy-Guy
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 274 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by USARMYTTT
i used intercity...they are a forum sponsor and will give you a forum price. Car was delivered on time and perfect!!!
I agree. Have used them twice and been very satisfied.
Old 05-12-2015, 12:23 AM
Silverboost
Racer

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

I just had my C7 delivered from CA to NC. I selected a company on Friday it was picked up Sunday and to my door Thursday. What I learned is 75% of the companies that solicit you are brokers. In my case it cost a average of $1300 from CA to NC. If you use a broker they charge on average $200, most of my quotes were $1500= 200 + 1300. I did receive some for $1300 and I didnt figure out until later that the $1300 quotes were from the direct carriers. When you hire a broker they put your info on a system that says where the car needs to be picked up and delivered to , what time frame and what you are willing to pay. I tried to research each carrier and most had bad reviews but many brokers have good reviews. The broker I chose had great current reviews and charged $225. The reason they had so many great reviews is because they give you $30 back if you post a review, again I did not figure this out until later. Hince why they charge $25 more than most because the $30 rebate is built in to their fee. My car was on a enclosed trailer of sorts. It was a double trailer with about 6 cars on each with soft plastic fabric sides. Overall the delivery was fast and the car was in perfect shape. If you can find a direct carrier it will save you about $200. In my case it cost me $1650. I paid about $150 more than the average quote because the company had such great reviews and I could have saved another $200 if I would have found a direct carrier. I do feel because I paid a little more my broker was able to find me a carrier the same day. Live and learn. If there is a next time I will probably do it differently. The good news is the car made it safe and sound.

Get notified of new replies

To Transporting Experiences

Old 05-12-2015, 01:49 AM
zcobra1
Burning Brakes

Received 81 Likes on 52 Posts

Plycar....+ 1
Own trucks, drivers are employees, you can gps track the truck,
pay by CC online, and no depots. Highly recommend.

While others will tell you of good experiences with brokers,
I have never used them, never will. You do not know what
or who you will get, to save what $100-200 or so.....

Last time I used Plycar, cheapest broker was only $150 cheaper
No thanks.

Last edited by zcobra1; 05-12-2015 at 01:52 AM.
Old 05-12-2015, 04:51 AM
JoeD-C8
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 206 Likes on 141 Posts
St. Jude Donor '18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Can't say enough about Intercity Lines. On time, courteous and professional. Couldn't ask for more!
Old 05-12-2015, 11:45 AM
racedrvr
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by USARMYTTT
Excellent service and follow up by the owner. Highly recommended by the exotic car guys. Here's one of my cars transported by them:

Quick Reply: Transporting Experiences