Sponsored by:

What to do? Third Drive Shaft-one motor

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2015, 03:06 PM
blkvett01
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Default What to do? Third Drive Shaft-one motor

So I have just taken my car in for the third drive shaft!

So the first time the drive shaft took the motor out with it. The second time just the drive shaft with only 500 miles on the new one.

Now with only 300 miles on the second one it is bad again and back in the shop for repair.

I think it is time for GM to step up only 300 miles between replacement that is not so good.

I took it in yesterday so I will have to wait on GM and the dealer tomorrow to see that it is bad and then listen to what they have to say.

I think that I have a good case for lemon law but I do not want to have to down grade on my car the new ones cost more. I just hate for this to happen to my car! It only has 10876 miles on it now and it has been in the shop for the past 6 months on and off.

So let the post began on advise and beating up on GM.

I have read Texas lemon laws but it will suck it I have to go that rout.

The car is # 822 on the vin
Old 05-10-2015, 04:20 PM
Marc VERO
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow. Sorry to hear that. Have you had any direct contact with GM?
Old 05-10-2015, 04:39 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,485 Likes on 1,947 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Old 05-10-2015, 04:44 PM
Ernest_T
Drifting

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Dang
Old 05-10-2015, 04:44 PM
blkvett01
Racer

Originally Posted by Marc VERO
Wow. Sorry to hear that. Have you had any direct contact with GM?
I talked to them with the first motor and trans, I will again this time.
Old 05-10-2015, 05:39 PM
Cruiter
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
On order: Torch Red Z51

Really sorry you're having that issue. However so many times on same car I'm thinking the dealer that did the repair has some culpability. Maybe GM can have it hauled to one with more experience in replacing the drive shaft.
Old 05-10-2015, 06:24 PM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

Sounds like an alignment issue, your drive shaft is loaded off center between the engine and transmission. You have more patience than me, I would have traded it off when the driveshaft took out the engine on the first round. Talk to your dealer/GM and work up a super doper deal.
Old 05-10-2015, 06:49 PM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,186 Likes on 1,337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15- '16-'17-‘18-‘19-'20-'21
NCM Lifetime Member

Default Since you're in N TX

I was going to suggest taking it up to Blum and leaving it over night. Then I remembered you can't drive it .............
Old 05-10-2015, 07:13 PM
rcooper
Safety Car

Received 676 Likes on 480 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

In 1998 I had a C5 that was in the shop a bunch. Rather than doing the lemon law, the dealer and I worked out a buy back. They gave me what I paid for the car as credit on a new C5, worked out well for both of us. They sold the buy back car to a dealer that could not get one and I spent another $7500 on the new one that I got.
I would talk to the owner or GM and see if you could work out something like I did. I know it sucks to have a car that is repeatedly going back for the same issue. Seems as though G M might be interested in your car as it is drive line related, I can't imagine getting a bunch of bad drive shafts, got to be an issue with the whole drive line. Good luck with your car and a fix.
Old 05-11-2015, 06:51 AM
Nyvetteguy007
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 258 Likes on 171 Posts

How many miles on the car when the problem started?
Old 05-11-2015, 07:12 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,391 Likes on 14,024 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Sucks that you are having so many problems with the car. Hope it all works out for you and either the car gets fixed right or you get a good deal on the lemon law route.
Old 05-11-2015, 07:27 AM
Flame Red
Le Mans Master

Received 1,089 Likes on 658 Posts

I would start the Lemon Law immediately. Why put up with the possibility of additional repairs for the same issue?
Old 05-11-2015, 09:07 AM
Ernest_T
Drifting

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Normally uou need four attempts to fix the issue in Texas, unless your vehicle has been out of service for over 30 days.

From the Texas DMV site.

http://www.txdmv.gov/motorists/consu...tion/lemon-law

When can I use the Texas Lemon Law?

If you have purchased or leased a new motor vehicle and it develops a defect or condition that substantially impairs the motor vehicle’s use, market value or safety, you may be eligible for relief under the Texas Lemon Law. You are required to allow the manufacturer a reasonable opportunity to repair the defect(s) before you may file a complaint for lemon law relief. There is a $35 filing fee required with the submission of the Lemon Law complaint form. The number of reasonable attempts may vary based upon the defect’s effect on the normal operation of the motor vehicle.

How many “reasonable attempts” to repair a defect is the manufacturer allowed?

One way to show the dealer has had a reasonable number of attempts to fix a defect is to pass the following tests. Mileage requirements in the tests do not apply to travel trailers.

The Four Times Test

You pass this test if you have taken your vehicle to the dealership for repair

twice for the same problem within the first 12 months or 12,000 miles, whichever comes first; and
twice more during the 12 months or 12,000 miles following the second repair attempt, and
the problem continues to exist.

The Serious Safety Hazard Test

A serious safety hazard is a life-threatening malfunction that substantially impedes your ability to control or operate the vehicle normally, or that creates a substantial risk of fire or explosion. You pass this test if you have taken your vehicle to the dealership two or more times for the repair of a serious safety hazard once during first 12 months or 12,000 miles, and once more during the 12 months (or 12,000 miles) following the first repair attempt, and
the problem continues to exist.

The 30 Day Test

If your new vehicle has been out of service for repair due to a defect that substantially impairs the use or market value of the vehicle due to defects covered by the warranty for a total of 30 or more days during the first 24 months or 24,000 miles, and there were at least two repair attempts during the first 12 months or 12000 miles, and the problem still exists. If no loaner vehicle was provided to you by the dealer during this time period, you pass the test.

It is advisable to contact the Lemon Law Section of the Texas Department of Motor Vehicles (TxDMV) for more specific information and assistance at (888) 368-4689.

What motor vehicles are eligible?

Cars, trucks, motorcycles, motor homes and all terrain vehicles are covered, as well as demonstrator vehicles that develop problems covered by a manufacturer's written warranty. Travel trailers must be titled and registered in Texas to be eligible.

Are used motor vehicles covered?

Your used vehicle may be covered under current state laws. Texas laws related to warranty performance may cover your vehicle if your used vehicle is still covered by the manufacturer's original warranty (not an extended service contract), or if the problem started and was reported to the dealer while under warranty and it continues to exist, repair assistance of the warranty-related problem may be available to you.
Old 05-11-2015, 10:30 AM
cheapthrills
Melting Slicks

Received 441 Likes on 292 Posts

I wouldn't hesitate to go the lemon route if I was you (if your eligible) They will most likely offer a dealer buy back at a good price as they don't want any lemons. So as mentioned above try for that super dope deal on a new one.
Old 05-12-2015, 02:53 PM
blkvett01
Racer

Called to talk to service manager, he was in meeting with GM rep for his the area. So waiting to here back if he calls.

I am talking to GM now but waiting on a call back there too lol.

Get notified of new replies

To What to do? Third Drive Shaft-one motor

Quick Reply: What to do? Third Drive Shaft-one motor