Sponsored by:

High dealer part prices?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2015, 10:47 AM
Landru
Race Director

Received 1,047 Likes on 821 Posts

Originally Posted by drmustang
Wow, Thanks for the lesson in business economics!
Thanks genius, you earned a F.
Old 05-06-2015, 02:11 PM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 3,862 Likes on 1,912 Posts

Originally Posted by Landru
Thanks genius, you earned a F.
Good to see that you have this business thing all figured out. LOL!
Old 05-07-2015, 01:39 PM
meyerweb
Safety Car

Received 483 Likes on 320 Posts

Don't forget to factor in shipping charges for online purchases. On relatively inexpensive parts they can eat up all your savings, and more.

As far as overhead costs, it's simple fact that dealers have significantly more overhead expense than online retailers. For many factory parts, the online vendors often don't even have stock. They order from a GM warehouse when they receive your order, and have the parts drop-shipped to you.
The following users liked this post:
IsWeHavingFunYet? (02-22-2020)
Old 05-09-2015, 01:30 PM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

I wonder if the guys here who give us enlightenment on business "overhead" would explain how some brick and mortar auto retailers are able to discount their parts, accessories, extended warranties, etc.
Old 05-10-2015, 11:07 AM
Zoomin
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 217 Likes on 160 Posts
2018 C2 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15, '19

In addition to sales managers, there are finance managers, service managers and parts managers - each of whom is responsible for profit from that department. And their pay package is heavily influenced by profitability.

They know most people are ignorant about parts prices and will just write the check.
Old 05-10-2015, 01:11 PM
probono
Pro

Received 91 Likes on 68 Posts

Just seems to me that despite dealer overhead, for the most part, they do not inventory most parts...just consumables, and that only makes sense. When they need a customer part, they order it, just like one of us might do, from an online source. I saved about $50 ordering splash guards online...hard for me to believe that a $50 profit is reasonable for a part which can be obtained online for about $100. As posted above, most people don't check online before they go to the dealer. Same experience with Lloyd's mats; some charge much more than others.

Ken
Old 05-10-2015, 07:50 PM
b4z
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The caddy Buick gmc dealer here in charleston, sc adds 20 % to GMs part prices. I'm not making it up.
Old 05-10-2015, 08:03 PM
probono
Pro

Received 91 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by b4z
The caddy Buick gmc dealer here in charleston, sc adds 20 % to GMs part prices. I'm not making it up.
Great reason to source elsewhere...

I do a lot of model rc helicopter flying, and there are two local hobby shops. Neither apparently understand that there is an internet world, yet both wonder why their business is plummeting. I have a friend who runs a motorcycle parts business, and his business is great. Why? Because he recognizes that the internet exists...

Seems pretty obvious to me...understand the competition...

Ken
Old 05-12-2015, 11:21 AM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

Originally Posted by Zoomin
In addition to sales managers, there are finance managers, service managers and parts managers - each of whom is responsible for profit from that department. And their pay package is heavily influenced by profitability.

They know most people are ignorant about parts prices and will just write the check.
Be absolutely certain that a business who relies on its customers ignorance is destined to fail, likely sooner than later. I've been in business nearly my entire life and can tell you that most consumers are well aware of what they are buying and what constitutes a fair price and value. Some of the posts in this thread are flatly laughable and obviously from guys who have not a clue about retail business.
Old 05-12-2015, 11:31 AM
Zoomin
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

2018 C2 of Year Finalist

Be absolutely certain that a business who relies on its customers ignorance is destined to fail, likely sooner than later. I've been in business nearly my entire life and can tell you that most consumers are well aware of what they are buying and what constitutes a fair price and value. Some of the posts in this thread are flatly laughable and obviously from guys who have not a clue about retail business.
If that remark was directed at me, I too have been in retail business for years. If you, in your self-proclaimed infinite business acumen can offer a better explanation why 99% of dealerships charge full list or more, then please enlighten us.
Old 05-12-2015, 12:12 PM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

If that remark was directed at me, I too have been in retail business for years. If you, in your self-proclaimed infinite business acumen can offer a better explanation why 99% of dealerships charge full list or more, then please enlighten us.
99%, really? Where do you find that statistic? You wouldn't have childishly made that up to support your foolish contention would you? Stick to your paper route!
Old 05-12-2015, 12:25 PM
Zoomin
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

2018 C2 of Year Finalist

99%, really? Where do you find that statistic? You wouldn't have childishly made that up to support your foolish contention would you? Stick to your paper route!
I don't see anyone rushing to support your contention that dealers beat Walmart everyday, champ.

Name some parts that people regularly go to dealers to purchase because they offer lower pricing.
Old 05-12-2015, 12:35 PM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

I don't see anyone rushing to support your contention that dealers beat Walmart everyday, champ.

Name some parts that people regularly go to dealers to purchase because they offer lower pricing.
If you had a clue you would know that there are retail dealers who discount their products in this particular arena and receive the lions share of the pie at that point. Wake up Dude, these business owners have the same relative costs and overhead as their competitors, they are just better at it. You would likely be conversant with this concept if you knew anything about retail business. Its no more complicated than that.
Old 05-12-2015, 01:00 PM
Zoomin
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

2018 C2 of Year Finalist

If you had a clue you would know that there are retail dealers who discount their products in this particular arena and receive the lions share of the pie at that point. Wake up Dude, these business owners have the same relative costs and overhead as their competitors, they are just better at it. You would likely be conversant with this concept if you knew anything about retail business. Its no more complicated than that.
No answer for one product that people routinely purchase from dealers as opposed to chain parts stores or Walmart, I see. You're either obtuse or just being argumentative. Either way, you're wrong.
Old 05-12-2015, 03:33 PM
aj98
Melting Slicks

Received 168 Likes on 137 Posts

On my C5, the dealer supplies the oil filter, but I provide the oil.
(Thanks to the Mobile1 rebate a couple months ago...I'm sitting on about 25 quarts, so I'm good to go.)

Anyway....

I used to work at a VW/Audi/BMW/Porche dealership parts department.
Granted, a long time ago...but the parts price book was an interesting thing.

VW parts were cheaper than Audi cheaper than BMW cheaper than Porche.
Even for (interchangable) VW and Audi parts, the Audi parts cost more than the VW part.

Labor rates followed the same order. Lowest for VW, highest for Porche.

I imagine the margins haven't changed much, and are similar across all brands.

The "cost" from the manufacturer was about 50% of the retail price to the customers.

If another (same brand) dealer ordered a part, then the markup was 5%, or an equal value parts trade was worked out.

If a 3rd party repair shop specializing in the brand (there are several in this area) ordered a part, the parts were sold at about 1o% over cost.

If a different brand dealer ordered, parts were marked up about 15%

If a non-specific repair shop (Firestone, Goodyear, etc) order, markup was 20% over cost.

If a parts store (ala NAPA, Advance, etc) ordered, then markup was 25% over cost.

Everyone had a little bit of profit
Old 05-12-2015, 04:40 PM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

No answer for one product that people routinely purchase from dealers as opposed to chain parts stores or Walmart, I see. You're either obtuse or just being argumentative. Either way, you're wrong.
keep your day job Dude as you will never make a living as business analyst unless you're looking for laughter. Enjoy!
Old 05-12-2015, 11:14 PM
W88fixer
Melting Slicks

Received 72 Likes on 43 Posts

Probably a lot of you are aware of them but perhaps it is still useful to mention that Rockauto has a great selection of parts for a huge list of cars. Don

Get notified of new replies

To High dealer part prices?

Old 05-13-2015, 03:49 PM
jedblanks
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Lots of experts on experts here. Astounding.
Old 05-14-2015, 06:14 AM
Drive-C7
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 31 Posts

If you are near a large city there are more than one Chevy dealer. Talk to the Parts Mgr. and ask for Dealer Cost which is not their cost but what other dealers like Goodyear tire pay which is wholesale. Tell the mgr. you do your own work on the car and you are looking for a Chevy dealer to work with on parts. It may or may not be the same dealer where you bought the car. I did this on my Chevy cars years ago and my Honda S2000. It has always worked for me. All they can say is no then go to another dealer. You just need to shop around. I take my C7 to one dealer and get parts from another.
Old 05-14-2015, 07:49 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,657 Likes on 6,653 Posts

Originally Posted by Drive-C7
If you are near a large city there are more than one Chevy dealer. Talk to the Parts Mgr. and ask for Dealer Cost which is not their cost but what other dealers like Goodyear tire pay which is wholesale. Tell the mgr. you do your own work on the car and you are looking for a Chevy dealer to work with on parts. It may or may not be the same dealer where you bought the car. I did this on my Chevy cars years ago and my Honda S2000. It has always worked for me. All they can say is no then go to another dealer. You just need to shop around. I take my C7 to one dealer and get parts from another.
Agree, did that all the time when younger and got a "mechanics discount." Last year asked what was the best they could do for the Vette oil filter since no discount store I checked had the Vette filter available. Got 30% off but recently paid even less from the net!
Some years ago when buying a ZZ502 engine for my street rod I brought in an ad from a magazine that showed a discount price (available at the time disassembled, some 30 boxes in a wood crate.) After talking to the manager at the local Chevy dealer they matched the delivered published discount price. The only issue was their small fork lift could not load the crate lengthwise in my S10 pick-up. Had to return home and put my tailgate back-on. Drove home with the engine only 2/3 in the bed up against the wheel wells and the remainder on the tailgate! Would only go ~15 mph for fear of the front wheels coming off the ground if I hit a bump! This is a pic of it being lifted out of the truck with my engine lift!

Local Chevy Dealer Matched Magazine Advertised Price from a Discount House

Last edited by JerryU; 05-14-2015 at 07:56 AM.
The following users liked this post:
IsWeHavingFunYet? (02-22-2020)

Quick Reply: High dealer part prices?