Sponsored by:

Need help please removing passenger side lower Fuel Rail cover on a Z51

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2015, 09:10 PM
USMCVETC7
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Need help please removing passenger side lower Fuel Rail cover on a Z51

I have seen other post asking for help on this, but have not seen an answer that works. I am trying to remove the lower fuel rail on the passenger side (I believe it's referred to as the Valve Rocker Arm Cover).

The Positive Crankcase Ventilation Hose has to be removed first, and that is what I have so far been unable to remove.

Picture of fitting from above.

There was a post about twisting the connection counterclockwise for the two plastic tabs to line up and then pull straight out. I have not been able to get that to work.

Has any one been successful on removing this from a Z51??

This is what happens when others have just tried to pull it straight out. One or both of the tabs break off.

Old 04-16-2015, 09:35 PM
nmvettec7
Safety Car

Received 850 Likes on 493 Posts

Your photos did not post in post #1 above.

I believe you are talking about the manifold cover that is underneath the fuel rail cover on the passenger side.

I have removed mine to have it custom painted in the body color.

There is a long plastic part/rod that runs along the top of the manifold cover.

Near the bulkhead to your left when looking at the engine from the passenger side is a coupler that you simple press the gray pins, That releases the rod and you can gently pull it out. Then simply lift over the plastic rod to the right .

There are 2 or 3 screws that need to be removed in order to lift out the manifold cover.
Old 04-16-2015, 10:29 PM
Ego-Trip
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 5-6-7-8 Veteran

The photos worked fine for me.

I also have had problems with this exact same fitting and have yet to get it removed. I have some painted parts from RPI Designs that I have been unable to install for 6+ month due to not being able to remove this fitting.

Most people seem to says it's a crap shoot whether or not you can remove it without breaking it. I'm not willing to take that risk.

I have an appointment with my dealer next week for an oil change and I'm going to ask them if they know of a trick. Otherwise I guess I'm stuck with some unused parts.
Old 04-16-2015, 10:33 PM
USMCVETC7
Racer

Originally Posted by nmvettec7
Your photos did not post in post #1 above.

I believe you are talking about the manifold cover that is underneath the fuel rail cover on the passenger side.

I have removed mine to have it custom painted in the body color.

There is a long plastic part/rod that runs along the top of the manifold cover.

Near the bulkhead to your left when looking at the engine from the passenger side is a coupler that you simple press the gray pins, That releases the rod and you can gently pull it out. Then simply lift over the plastic rod to the right .

There are 2 or 3 screws that need to be removed in order to lift out the manifold cover.
Thanks for the reply nmvettec7. Not sure why your not seeing my photos. They show up for me. Do you have a Z51?? What your saying does not match what I am trying to disconnect.
Old 04-16-2015, 11:40 PM
nmvettec7
Safety Car

Received 850 Likes on 493 Posts

Originally Posted by USMCVETC7
Thanks for the reply nmvettec7. Not sure why your not seeing my photos. They show up for me. Do you have a Z51?? What your saying does not match what I am trying to disconnect.
Not sure why I can't get the images. I have attached an image I found of the Z51 engine bay.

I see that your Z51 has two other hoses connected other than my 1LT model. Are these what you are referring too?

Unfortunately I cannot help. I am sure that it takes a special tool and that perhaps someone in the Tech Section of the forum can help.
Attached Images  
Old 04-17-2015, 08:30 AM
USMCVETC7
Racer

Yes. It's the fitting to the right of your arrow that goes into the center of the lower fuel rail cover. Only dry sump systems (Z51 & Z06) have that fitting.
The following users liked this post:
H Watkins (03-08-2024)
Old 04-18-2015, 08:45 AM
Ego-Trip
Safety Car

CI 5-6-7-8 Veteran

I'm shocked that there isn't an actual solution to this problem. Hopefully my dealer can shed some light on it.

Last edited by Ego-Trip; 04-19-2015 at 12:46 AM.
Old 04-18-2015, 02:48 PM
USMCVETC7
Racer

Just got back from visiting with Cavender Chevrolete Service Department in Boerne, TX. Got to talk with 2 of their Corvette mechanics about the problem with the plastic tabs sometimes breaking off when the Positive Crankcase Ventilation Tube fitting is removed from the Valve Rocker Arm Cover assembly. They knew it was a problem and said that they often break one of the tabs off themselves when removing the fitting. There is no special tool or procedure to remove it. Just try to pull straight out with constant pressure and slight twisting side to side. One thing they said helps is if the engine (plastic fitting) is hot (makes the plastic less prone to breakage). I then asked what they do if a piece breaks off and falls down in the opening. I was surprised by their answer. They try to fish it out if they can see it, but if not they just leave it in there. The more experienced of the two who has had 2 LT1 engines apart said that there is no where for the little piece to go that would hurt anything. From the small chamber that you can see in the opening, there are 2 screens between that and the rockers, valves, etc. I will be interested to hear from other forum members after they check with their service departments to see if they get the same answer.

Last edited by USMCVETC7; 04-18-2015 at 02:50 PM. Reason: correction
H Watkins (03-08-2024)
Old 04-20-2015, 11:08 AM
Ego-Trip
Safety Car

CI 5-6-7-8 Veteran

For what it's worth, I went to my dealer this morning for an oil change. I talked to the tech and told him what I was trying to achieve and asked if he knew how to deal with it. He said he hadn't personally tried to remove that fitting yet but could probably figure it out. I warned him to be cautious and mentioned that it seemed to be 50/50 as to whether or not the fitting would break. He ignored my warning and pretty much walked up to the car and pulled the fitting straight out with just a little wiggle along the way. Much to my relief nothing broke. He said that the engine being warm was definitely the key.

The bad part was that I would have to repeat this feat. I just brought the car back to my shop, popped the hood (engine warm) and gave it a little wiggle and it came right out without breakage. I'm going to let everything cool down and then I'll swap out the engine covers.

It really does seem to be a game of chance, but I do believe that the engine being warm is a huge factor.

Last edited by Ego-Trip; 04-20-2015 at 01:37 PM.
edweiler (03-03-2020)
Old 04-20-2015, 11:25 AM
USMCVETC7
Racer

Ego-Trip... did you ask them what they would do if one broke off and stayed in the cavity?
Old 04-20-2015, 11:46 AM
Ego-Trip
Safety Car

CI 5-6-7-8 Veteran

No..I didn't ask them...I was just relieved that mine didn't break.

It doesn't seem like it would be a good thing to leave pieces in there but who knows?
Old 04-20-2015, 12:50 PM
alienranch
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 112 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Ego-Trip
For that it's worth, I went to my dealer this morning for an oil change. I talked to the tech and told him what I was trying to achieve and asked if he knew how to deal with it. He said he hadn't personally tried to remove that fitting yet but could probably figure it out. I warned him to be cautious and mentioned that it seemed to be 50/50 as to whether or not the fitting would break. He ignored my warning and pretty much walked up to the car and pulled the fitting straight out with just a little wiggle along the way. Much to my relief nothing broke. He said that the engine being warm was definitely the key.

The bad part was that I would have to repeat this feat. I just brought the car back to my shop, popped the hood (engine warm) and gave it a little wiggle and it came right out without breakage. I'm going to let everything cool down and then I'll swap out the engine covers.

It really does seem to be a game of chance, but I do believe that the engine being warm is a huge factor.
Thanks for the info. Good to have some first-hand experience with this.
Old 06-13-2016, 08:41 PM
Big-Bet
Advanced

Received 39 Likes on 8 Posts

I know this is an old thread but....does anyone know the part number to replace the part if it is broken? I have not had any luck finding a part number.
Old 06-13-2016, 09:13 PM
SevenTurns
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16

I purchased a replacement for my 2014. I can get you a part number tomorrow if you still want it.
It may be possible to wrap a small piece of wire around the base and tighten it carefully. This would squeeze the tabs in slightly allowing to rock it side to side for removal.
PapaLeo67 (06-13-2016)
Old 06-13-2016, 09:15 PM
Rooster OG
Le Mans Master

Received 1,694 Likes on 1,240 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

You should reach out to cultrag or trunk monkey. I'd include a picture too. If you find it, post back! Good luck!
Old 06-13-2016, 09:44 PM
PapaLeo67
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by SevenTurns
I purchased a replacement for my 2014. I can get you a part number tomorrow if you still want it.
I would also like to have that part on hand before I break mine
Thanks!
edweiler (03-03-2020)
Old 06-13-2016, 09:54 PM
Big-Bet
Advanced

It may be possible to wrap a small piece of wire around the base and tighten it carefully. This would squeeze the tabs in slightly allowing to rock it side to side for removal.
That would be helpful thanks!

Get notified of new replies

To Need help please removing passenger side lower Fuel Rail cover on a Z51

Old 06-14-2016, 10:51 AM
SevenTurns
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16

Number 24 on the diagram. Part number 12670978.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
20141020_095127.pdf (39.0 KB, 371 views)
The following 2 users liked this post by SevenTurns:
Big-Bet (06-14-2016), PapaLeo67 (07-16-2016)
Old 06-14-2016, 11:16 AM
Big-Bet
Advanced

You da man!
Old 07-16-2016, 11:19 PM
PapaLeo67
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

This looks like the part for the whole tube... Does it include the plastic fitting?

Quick Reply: Need help please removing passenger side lower Fuel Rail cover on a Z51