Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"You're not a real Corvette owner!"

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2015, 03:24 PM
Crabbers
Le Mans Master

Received 116 Likes on 79 Posts

The older gent handled it poorly, but you were in the wrong for leaving your car at the pump. Live and learn

Originally Posted by drmustang
this guy has baited little men who "throw around" the big guys. Sorry to burst your bubble but a big guy lays a beat down on a little guy 99% of the time. Get over it. I'm 6'3", 230 with a 35" waist, work out 4 times week with many years of martial arts training. You would likely not want to even think about "throwing" a guy like that around.

Old 04-16-2015, 03:32 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

Unless thebfas station is deserted I will move my car to a parking place. Common courtesy goes a long way whichbis something a lot of Americans lack. You paid for about 15 min of gas not 15 min of parking space. You cost the station about another 30 gallons of gas. People just seem to do whatever they van these days to irritate someone else. Everyone wants to show how big their ***** are even in a minor instance.

Next time for those that think 10 min is nothing how about if you stay at work 10 more min per day, unpaid? The guy was an idiot also but if you parked your car then nothing else would have happened.
Old 04-16-2015, 04:27 PM
leea_44
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I love it...

Originally Posted by ///ADMAN
It's because you didn't have round tail light. I'm sure of it...
Old 04-16-2015, 05:23 PM
c5eddiem
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 89L98
Your first Vette? Am I right?
It took 155 posts for someone to ask what I had been wondering all along.

Ed
Old 04-20-2015, 09:24 AM
KneeDragr
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by drmustang
this guy has baited little men who "throw around" the big guys. Sorry to burst your bubble but a big guy lays a beat down on a little guy 99% of the time. Get over it. I'm 6'3", 230 with a 35" waist, work out 4 times week with many years of martial arts training. You would likely not want to even think about "throwing" a guy like that around.
I gotta call BS on the 99% of the time comment. Sure, if equally unskilled, being big is a large advantage.

But I have seen plenty of big guys like yourself laid out or choked out in a minute in my gym by much much smaller men. I am 6'1" 205, by no means small, but I respect everyone and take any threat seriously. Big does not mean invincible.

Being tall can work against you as well, I know some short stocky guys that will make quick work of your legs if they take you down. Long limbs = more pressure on joints when a hold is applied.
Old 04-20-2015, 09:57 AM
Bill17601
AIR FORCE VETERAN
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 439 Likes on 196 Posts

With today's laws on carrying, I would be careful. I find myself letting a lot go rather then getting into a confrontation. If you are big and strong you still can't stop a slug unless your Superman. Macho BS has no place in today's world.
Old 04-20-2015, 11:23 AM
jedblanks
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

The obvious answer here is to live and let live. If you let small things like this irritate you, then you likely have other issues that you need to explore.

Now to the comments...

Originally Posted by CriticalmassGT
Polite, smart move..

I'm 6'3, 230 pounds (with Sig Sauer in hand). In my experience, the older they are, the more likely they are to carry at all times.
When you are armed, you must realize that you just lost your right to initiate ANY type of confrontation that could possibly escalate into a violent encounter. You must now have a very mellow attitude on life and your fellow mankind.

If the old guy was carrying and initiating that type of confrontation, its only a matter of time before he ends up dead or in jail.

Originally Posted by jschindler
Do you really think that they are making more money when you block other vehicles from filling up with gas? They would like it a lot better if you'd move your car then go inside so that others can buy gas. But thank you for leaving and going to another station if you don't like the rules.
What an ignorant statement.
The profit per gallon of gasoline is about 3 cents (1-1.5%)!
They are definitely making more profit if you go inside with profit margins of 20% or more on items.

Originally Posted by RideZX6R
I'd have waited 5 mins before going inside and simply saying "Would whomever owns the Corvette please move it? It's blocking me for a bit now..."
And you'd have been grammatically incorrect.
http://www.grammarbook.com/grammar/whoever.asp
But at least you sound cultured?

Originally Posted by airforcex
If you pumped gas, the car can stay at the pump. Some leave it to pay inside; some need to get a receipt. I've waited 10 minutes just to get a receipt because there's a line inside. Some actually check fluids. Doesn't bother me at all. Typically there's less parking space than pump space anyway. If everyone moves the car, now you have to wait for spots to open, while blocking traffic, etc. You're also taking a spot from the mom and the kids that need a restroom break. Think about the children! If there's a sign telling you to move it, move it! The guy was having a bad day.
It is all about perspective and there's always another side.

Last edited by jedblanks; 04-20-2015 at 11:47 AM.
Old 04-20-2015, 01:00 PM
htown81vette
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by KneeDragr
I gotta call BS on the 99% of the time comment. Sure, if equally unskilled, being big is a large advantage.

But I have seen plenty of big guys like yourself laid out or choked out in a minute in my gym by much much smaller men. I am 6'1" 205, by no means small, but I respect everyone and take any threat seriously. Big does not mean invincible.

Being tall can work against you as well, I know some short stocky guys that will make quick work of your legs if they take you down. Long limbs = more pressure on joints when a hold is applied.
I agree. Not too sure about the credibility of that other post. I'm 6' 2" 220 lbs also, plus have a fair amount of martial art training in both Tae Kwon Do and Jiu Jitsu. But that was a long time ago. I'm pretty rusty I'm sure. But the first thing they teach you is not to go around acting like a bad ***, because you never know what surprise will come next. They also teach you the best way to win a fight is to walk away (if you can). If you cannot, then use it. Martial arts is intended for SELF DEFENSE, not to beat somebody sensless.

Oh, and I've seen 6' 2" WOMEN that were highly trained in martial arts that you would not want to mess with.
Old 04-20-2015, 02:41 PM
B-STOCK
Melting Slicks

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15, '17, '19

Originally Posted by OrioleFan
"I'm 6'2" 220 lbs"
"But I thought to myself, he's 60"

Be careful. Size doesn't really matter. Neither does age.
Old saying "Be careful because if a man is to old to fight he will just kill you." A lot of old guys have LTCs. Also in RI and MA it's a felony to lay a hand on a person 60 or over. I think it's that way across the nation.
IMO the gas pump is for fueling and that's it. Not hard to move the car to a parking spot when buying snacks or having a chat.
Old 04-20-2015, 05:20 PM
Deneb
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

People should leave policing to people who are the police or the store manager. Everything else is moot.
Old 05-07-2015, 05:14 PM
ntonkin
Heel & Toe

Default response to Vette Man

Originally Posted by vetteman000
I wanted to make this post as I encountered a funny and sad situation the other day. My girlfriend and I were heading out-of-town to Vegas in my C7. We stopped at a gas station on the outskirts of the Phoenix area. I pulled in to the pump, fueled up and we both went inside the station. The station was pretty busy that day but I didn't think it was inappropriate at all to leave the car at the pump after fueling while we go inside and use the restroom and grab some snacks. It's a practice we have done for many years and never had any issues before, until that day.

We talked with another couple briefly as there was an accident up the highway which closed down both lanes and we needed to figure out the best route to take. So after using the restroom, grabbing some ice cream and having a quick conversation, we were in there for maybe 10 minutes tops. Upon leaving the station I noticed an F-150 pulling a trailer quasi-stuck between my car and the car across from me at a different pump. It appeared that the driver tried to go between us and wanted to turn into another lane of pumps but his front was now blocked by the curb where the station ends and his trailer wasn't going to clear my car. In fact, he came about 3 inches away from my front right quarter and wheel. I did a quick inspection to ensure he didn't hit me as I noticed he was no longer even in his truck so I just assumed he hit me.

So here's where it gets good. We get in the car and I am ready to reverse out of the station when I see through my rear-view a 55/60-year old guy storming up to us. First thing he say's is, "You think this is a parking lot? You think you can just park anywhere?" We were caught off-guard to say the least. He then goes into some rant about, "I've been in the Corvette club for 35 years. I have a cherry one too. It may not be new but I can tell you're not a real Corvette owner. You're just some spoiled rich kid with daddy's car who thinks he can do whatever he wants." He said more but I can't remember it all as I was confused why this guy is going off on some tangent about being a real Corvette owner.

Frankly, I didn't have enough time to get mad at him. Normally I would give this guy a piece of my mind and was contemplating stepping out of the car. But I thought to myself, he's 60, he's an asshoIe and I don't need to prove anything to him. I'm 6'2" 220 lbs and have been in my fair share of physical confrontations before in my 20s. He spatted off a couple more words at which time I put my hand up to the side of my head thinking, "how should I handle this?" I simply just stated, "I'm going to take the polite route here and just say have a nice day sir."

I knew my girlfriend wouldn't want to see the altercation go any further and knew we were in the right so I figured to just leave the situation. What bothered me about his comments is that he painted some very broad strokes over who I (we) are. He was wrong about the parking at the pump as we filled up prior to going inside. He was wrong about me being some spoiled rich kid as I'm a small business owner and have been so for over 12 years. Also, I'm 35 so not a kid by any stretch. Aside from my occupation, my girlfriend is a lawyer.

Maybe he was just having a bad day...we all have them. If by some off-chance he reads this I wonder how his club would feel about his conduct for berating someone based on inaccurate assumptions of the situation and generalizations of the owner. If he reads this, I would just ask him this one question, "Is being an asshoIe a prerequisite to joining your club?"

Dear Small Business Owner with the Trophy Girlfriend:

Short Answer: Other people don't find you nearly as impressive as you find yourself. Next time you have to waltz around a gas station buying snacks and chit-chatting, why not move your car so that you're not inconveniencing everyone else. I bet if you found all the pumps occupied by people inside stylin' and profilin' and killin' time, you'd be miffed to say the least. And we would get an immensely long post about how you were mistreated by these insensitive clods who were impeding your progress towards fame and fortune. The 60+ year old guy sounds terribly full of himself too. Let's fast-forward 25 years--I bet you'll be berating young whippersnappers at the pumps, too.
Old 05-07-2015, 05:20 PM
jedblanks
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by ntonkin
Dear Small Business Owner with the Trophy Girlfriend:

Short Answer: Other people don't find you nearly as impressive as you find yourself. Next time you have to waltz around a gas station buying snacks and chit-chatting, why not move your car so that you're not inconveniencing everyone else. I bet if you found all the pumps occupied by people inside stylin' and profilin' and killin' time, you'd be miffed to say the least. And we would get an immensely long post about how you were mistreated by these insensitive clods who were impeding your progress towards fame and fortune. The 60+ year old guy sounds terribly full of himself too. Let's fast-forward 25 years--I bet you'll be berating young whippersnappers at the pumps, too.
Well thanks for putting him in his place 2+ weeks after the thread died and over a month after the original post.

I swear this forum is getting harder and harder to deal with.
Old 05-07-2015, 06:16 PM
ntonkin
Heel & Toe

Sorry jedblanks, this was the first time I saw his post... I don't check this forum very often... but I guess you figured that out already.

Originally Posted by jedblanks
Well thanks for putting him in his place 2+ weeks after the thread died and over a month after the original post.

Old 05-08-2015, 09:14 AM
Crabbers
Le Mans Master

Received 116 Likes on 79 Posts

You could always ignore it

Some people aren't on 24/7.
Old 05-08-2015, 04:54 PM
m3incorp
Burning Brakes

Received 211 Likes on 157 Posts

Wow! 10 pages. Often don't get that many when people are actually talking about a Corvette. OP got a good answer when people said OP you handled it well. OP don't park at the gas pump and go inside for 10 minutes. All this talk of fighting and other stuff tends not to happen when you live in an "open carry" state. You see what the person is packing and don't have to wait to find out later that they are carrying concealed. And no let's not have any shoot outs at the OK Corral going on. Lesson learned, some people get angry when you block the gas pumps. Many places have signs that state please pull forward after pumping. (We are talking gas pumps guys ))
Old 05-12-2015, 05:52 PM
Knobbie
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Tell him politely that if "real Corvette owners" are all like him, you'll opt out. Oh yeah, you shoulda moved your car after filling up. He probably thought you just parked there without getting gas. I see it all the time, some people are jerks and want to just park in the shade.
Old 05-13-2015, 10:01 AM
rkoblin
Intermediate

Default Negative Energy

When I meet a person like that just ask if he is a Republican, no don't do that just say I do not discuss religion, directions, politics or Bar BQ sauce. It stops them in their tracks, and they **** their head to one side like a dog.

Get notified of new replies

To "You're not a real Corvette owner!"

Old 05-13-2015, 10:56 AM
KANUK
Cruising

My special forces training (long ago-when I was young) first rule-remove yourself from an untenable situation with all speed if possible! Sadly- I have often forgotten this rule as I moved through life.
Old 05-13-2015, 11:04 AM
CriticalmassGT
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 45 Posts

The obvious answer here is to live and let live. If you let small things like this irritate you, then you likely have other issues that you need to explore.

Now to the comments...

When you are armed, you must realize that you just lost your right to initiate ANY type of confrontation that could possibly escalate into a violent encounter. You must now have a very mellow attitude on life and your fellow mankind.

If the old guy was carrying and initiating that type of confrontation, its only a matter of time before he ends up dead or in jail.
I prefer it that way. I do not start confrontations. But I am quite capable of finishing them even without the firearm, although I always prefer to avoid them when possible, and thus, I do not get into them very often. An Armed Society is a Polite Society, and I do try to be polite in every possible scenario unless my wife and child's safety comes into it. Things will go south for anyone verbally or physically attacking them very fast.
Old 05-13-2015, 12:35 PM
B-STOCK
Melting Slicks

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15, '17, '19

Originally Posted by CriticalmassGT
I prefer it that way. I do not start confrontations. But I am quite capable of finishing them even without the firearm, although I always prefer to avoid them when possible, and thus, I do not get into them very often. An Armed Society is a Polite Society, and I do try to be polite in every possible scenario unless my wife and child's safety comes into it. Things will go south for anyone verbally or physically attacking them very fast.
A verbal attack is just that. No need to get into anything over a verbal attack. You must know that by law you have no right to react to a verbal attack. If you get physical because of a verbal attack your the one that's going to get in the s**t. Why ruin your day and possibly get a criminal record responding to a verbal attack.

Quick Reply: "You're not a real Corvette owner!"