Sponsored by:

Alignment Problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2015, 01:11 AM
14white-vette
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alignment Problems

I have owned my C7 for over a year now and can not get the alignment correct. The car has always pulled to the right, and its not a slow pull. The car will swich lanes in approx 5 secs. The dealer has aligned all 4 tires 3 times and they have replaced the front tires once. Has anyone else had this problem. Im such a perfectionist, and this drives me crazy. Any help or comments is greatly appreciated!
Old 04-04-2015, 01:38 AM
VETJAZZ
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 206 Likes on 146 Posts

I had the same problem driving home from the museum. I took it in for an alignment and have had no further issues. I hope you get your issue solved soon. I know what a drag it is.
Old 04-04-2015, 01:38 AM
WelderGuy
Burning Brakes

Received 157 Likes on 98 Posts

Sounds like you've ruled out alignment and tire issues, but you might want to try another alignment shop just to be sure.

Are the roads in your area highly crowned or damaged by heavy truck traffic? Does it pull right even in the left lane of a decent highway?

The C7 has electric power steering, so I wonder if something amiss with the sensors or calibration could cause this.
Old 04-04-2015, 01:46 AM
14white-vette
Heel & Toe

I have driven on roads all over Dallas/Ft. Worth and it always pulls to the right and never to the left. I have driven my wifes car and my 2015 GMC on the same roads, and they drive as straight as an arrow. So I know the roads are not the problem. Maybe it does have something to do with the power steering? The dealer is getting with GM for direction. Luckily the dealer has been great and not charged me one penny.
Old 04-04-2015, 07:06 AM
davekp78
Melting Slicks

Received 131 Likes on 109 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2016 C1 of the Year Finalist
2015 C2 of the Year Finalist

What are the alignment numbers?(castor, camber, toe)
Old 04-04-2015, 09:30 AM
mjw930
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

If alignment and tires don't fix it then it's a defective or miss calibrated steering rack. There have been a couple of instances where that's been the cause. Ask the dealer to recalibrate the steering, there should be a procedure for that in their Tech2 system. If that doesn't work have the problem escalated to GM.
Old 04-04-2015, 09:42 AM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Received 787 Likes on 539 Posts

You say the front tires have been replaced, but you might try switching the tires from side to side to see if it affects the pull....
Old 04-04-2015, 11:40 AM
Jay_Davis
Drifting

Received 90 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by mjw930
If alignment and tires don't fix it then it's a defective or miss calibrated steering rack. There have been a couple of instances where that's been the cause. Ask the dealer to recalibrate the steering, there should be a procedure for that in their Tech2 system. If that doesn't work have the problem escalated to GM.
Definitely a good suggestion. If the alignment is right, there are a couple of other things that can cause the car to pull, including the steering and the rolling resistance of the wheel itself (bearing issues, etc).
Old 04-04-2015, 12:06 PM
markk1
Racer

Originally Posted by TEXHAWK0
You say the front tires have been replaced, but you might try switching the tires from side to side to see if it affects the pull....
I believe the tires are directional...no swapping from side to side.
Old 04-04-2015, 12:35 PM
WelderGuy
Burning Brakes

If they're directional, they have to be taken off the wheels to be switched side to side. That's not worth the trouble if they've already been replaced with no change in symptoms. It's more likely something else.
Old 04-04-2015, 05:29 PM
14white-vette
Heel & Toe

Thanks for all the comments. I am taking it back to the dealer on Wednesday. And to answer your question, the dealer has tried swaping the tires and switching, but that didnt working either. I will suggest to them to align the steering. I will post the results!
Old 04-04-2015, 05:37 PM
fxxgallagher
2nd Gear

Default Alignment problems

Originally Posted by 14white-vette
I have owned my C7 for over a year now and can not get the alignment correct. The car has always pulled to the right, a
nd its not a slow pull. The car will swich lanes in approx 5 secs. The dealer has aligned all 4 tires 3 times and they have replaced the front tires once. Has anyone else had this problem. Im such a perfectionist, and this drives me crazy. Any help or comments is greatly appreciated!
Yes, I have a 2015 Z51 coupe that is 5 months old. Car pulls to right. Chevy has aligned 5 times and replaced front tires twice and it still pulls right. I contacted Chevy and discussed problem with a Sr. Advisor who never got back to me. I even left him voice mail without response. I called Chevy again 2 months later and they tried to tell me it's the way the car is. Told them I won't accept this answer and demanded that management get involved. It's been 8 days now and no response. A $74k car should not be driving like this. I think there's a lot of C7 owners that have this issue and are not aware of it.
Old 04-04-2015, 06:02 PM
HogwildC7
Melting Slicks

Received 132 Likes on 97 Posts

I have driven on roads all over Dallas/Ft. Worth and it always pulls to the right and never to the left. I have driven my wifes car and my 2015 GMC on the same roads, and they drive as straight as an arrow. So I know the roads are not the problem. Maybe it does have something to do with the power steering? The dealer is getting with GM for direction. Luckily the dealer has been great and not charged me one penny.
I live in dfw and mines does the same. I have had a rim replaced and I have front tires replaced as well.
Old 04-04-2015, 06:13 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,107 Likes on 6,185 Posts

There is a bulletin about this:

Originally Posted by ETHYL
I had the same problem of steering pulls to the right at highway speeds. I took it to the dealer and was aware of this problem and showed me a GM PI that addresses this problem.
It's #PIC5975A: Steering Pulls To The Right At Highway Speeds shown below.

Old 04-04-2015, 06:39 PM
fxxgallagher
2nd Gear

Did it fix the problem?
Old 04-05-2015, 12:49 AM
ZL-1
Safety Car

Received 184 Likes on 122 Posts

Thanks for all the comments. I am taking it back to the dealer on Wednesday. And to answer your question, the dealer has tried swaping the tires and switching, but that didnt working either. I will suggest to them to align the steering. I will post the results!
Zymurgy beat me to it, I saw that bulletin last year . Is it possible that in all your visits the dealer never checked for service bulletins and PI's?
Old 04-05-2015, 12:54 AM
Sallye M
22 Hypersonic Grey HTC
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 142 Likes on 77 Posts
Default Alignment Problems

I have the same issue-pulls to the right.
I took in to dealer for alignment and showed them the bulletin. They did alignment and charged me about $125. It didn't fix the issue.

Get notified of new replies

To Alignment Problems

Old 04-05-2015, 01:18 AM
sycraft
Burning Brakes

Received 85 Likes on 67 Posts

unless you set up the cross caster way out of specs, it will pull right. I had mine aligned and it still goes right, but I did not have the cross caster put out of spec as per the bulletin, tire wear is more important, and the cross caster will cause tire wear. It is fine to me, as at least it takes you away from oncoming traffic, I do notice that when the road is crowned to the left I go straight or slightly left, just hyper sensitive to the crown on the road.
Old 04-05-2015, 02:19 AM
Highway 61
Pro

Location: Between Forest Lake and White Bear Lake in the Land of 10,000+ lakes
Received 41 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by markk1
I believe the tires are directional...no swapping from side to side.
The Michelin Pilot® Super Sport® are non-directional tires and should be rotated side to side every 7500 miles.
Old 04-05-2015, 04:43 AM
WelderGuy
Burning Brakes

Sounds like they're pushing the wheel alignment to the limits (or slightly beyond) to compensate for something else being out-of-whack. I'd sure like to know what that something else is.

The tolerances achievable with modern manufacturing methods permit some manufacturers to produce cars with no provisions for adjusting caster or camber, leaving toe-in as the only available adjustment. These cars rarely have alignment problems as long as the bushings are in good shape and nothing gets damaged, and they don't pull to one side when going down the highway.

The fact that the bulletin specifically mentions pulling to the right as a symptom is odd. I'd bet they know what's REALLY wrong, but just don't want to pay for fixing it. So, the owner is going to pay for it with increased tire wear and/or reduced handling performance.

Quick Reply: Alignment Problems