Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Infortainment screen jittering

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2015, 11:10 AM
john512
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

For all of you who had the screen replaced did it require them to take the dash apart?

That is what is keeping me from taking mine in. I am scared as hell of them taking apart the dash and it looking like crap when finished.
Old 08-19-2015, 12:08 PM
VETJAZZ
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 206 Likes on 146 Posts

My screen was replaced last month. Very common issue with early 14's. Took a little over an hour. Yes, they had to remove the dash trim pieces around the screen.
Old 08-19-2015, 03:26 PM
uwec86
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 40 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by john512
For all of you who had the screen replaced did it require them to take the dash apart?

That is what is keeping me from taking mine in. I am scared as hell of them taking apart the dash and it looking like crap when finished.
Yes they took the dash apart and it looks just great afterwards. No issues.
Old 03-12-2018, 02:32 PM
RCB1234
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by uwec86
Yes they took the dash apart and it looks just great afterwards. No issues.

2014 Z51M 17,000 miles. Build date November 2013.

While I have read all the other discussion on the past issues which seem to include later production years. I feel there is a difference between a blank or black screen and the screen flicker or old tv rolling.

Mine is the later and just started. The horn honk will and does stop the flicker for a few days. The under warranty repairs do not tell the owner what the real problem was. We never now exactly what has taken place in the shop.

While we have some very knowledgeable members with good opinions do we really know what is at issue? I am sure GM knows but has anyone had discussion with someone that knows?

Hard to believe it is the screen when it comes and goes for weeks without issue. Is it a software issue (why now and not two years ago)? Is it a connection (connector) issue? Is it a bad wiring issue? HMI issue? The need for an extra washer in the top right issue? Clip the zip tie on the two blue wires leading to the screen issue?

For us that are not under warranty, I just want to fix the problem once since the dash might have to come out. I have not talked to the dealer. Hoping four years later someone would have confirmed information on the cause and the cure. Thanks
Old 03-12-2018, 05:27 PM
Frosty
Burning Brakes

Received 247 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by RCB1234
2014 Z51M 17,000 miles. Build date November 2013.

While I have read all the other discussion on the past issues which seem to include later production years. I feel there is a difference between a blank or black screen and the screen flicker or old tv rolling.

Mine is the later and just started. The horn honk will and does stop the flicker for a few days. The under warranty repairs do not tell the owner what the real problem was. We never now exactly what has taken place in the shop.

While we have some very knowledgeable members with good opinions do we really know what is at issue? I am sure GM knows but has anyone had discussion with someone that knows?

Hard to believe it is the screen when it comes and goes for weeks without issue. Is it a software issue (why now and not two years ago)? Is it a connection (connector) issue? Is it a bad wiring issue? HMI issue? The need for an extra washer in the top right issue? Clip the zip tie on the two blue wires leading to the screen issue?

For us that are not under warranty, I just want to fix the problem once since the dash might have to come out. I have not talked to the dealer. Hoping four years later someone would have confirmed information on the cause and the cure. Thanks
I have a new 2018 that had the screen flicker the next day after I brought it home. I looked for a pattern such as Wifi or 4G LTE interference or reception dead zones but it was totally random and incredibly frustrating to see it go out like that. When it went out, only operating the screen up and down would fix it temporarily and this is a critical clue. I also encountered a totally black screen where everything was operating such as the radio, but the screen was clearly not displaying the video. It was not the HMI computer as all the signals were there, they just weren't being displayed and it is not a firmware/software issue. It is either a problem with the display or a connection associated with the display.

I traced the flicker to the video connections at the screen. There are two blue wires that carry the video signal into the screen. These short few inch wires have plug in connectors (I don't feel these are the problem area) where they get the signal from the car's HMI on one end and then they go through a plastic guide for the up and down screen movement to the screen where they disappear inside. I have no idea how they connect inside that screen, but that inside connection is where I believe the problem is. I suspect they are press fit inside the screen and you will see below if you read on.

There is a triangular trim piece on the driver's side of the center console just underneath the display. You need a flashlight or daylight to see it and you need to get down on your knees and get your head under the wheel. Insert a small screw driver into the barely visible seam and pry that plate out. This will only take you a few seconds. Don't be afraid as the plate is just press fit in. You may have to slightly move the forward end of the center console with your hand to create the clearance to slide it out.

Once you have the plate removed, shine your flashlight inside and you will see the two blue video wires. If necessary operate the up/down on the display as I can't remember if up or down is best to enable grabbing the wires with your fingers. You can use that small screw driver to hook them or a pair of needle nose pliers. Now give them a pull any way you can. I believe that this seats the wires inside the display so they make better and more secure contact.

Check to see if the flicker is still there by operating the screen up/down switch. If it looks solid and stable, you have likely fixed it. If it doesn't, keep trying by either pulling or pushing on the wires until the flicker does not occur. Since you can't see inside the screen, it is not possible to know how they are fastened in there. All I can tell you is that pulling the wires downwards and towards me has fixed it on my car.

If the blue video wires where they enter the screen are the problem and you aren't able to seat them better, then you will have to have the dealer replace the screen since the connections are inside the screen. From what I have seen in YouTube, removal of the dash is required and it looks to be a real job. I would be concerned about its removal and replacement causing rattles or a careless tech breaking some of the fasteners that hold it all together. That screen is pretty expensive when out of warranty- over $500 so this is worth the effort to try and address it yourself.

Last edited by Frosty; 03-12-2018 at 05:43 PM.

Quick Reply: Infortainment screen jittering