Tipping at Spring Mountain

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2015, 01:25 PM
Torchsport
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 396 Likes on 226 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Now I feel guilty for not tipping at Bondurant.
Old 04-19-2015, 02:30 PM
Cruiter
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
On order: Torch Red Z51

Like most others, I left a tip. Like others have said, it seems to be a thing today, even at fast food operations.

I know some of you like myself gave 20 years of service to our country in one of the Armed Forces . We worked proudly for meager wages considering the work and often the risk. 40 hour work weeks or eight hour days were not part of our vocabulary. We never asked for nor were offered a tip.

I think all of us that gave 20 years or more would gladly relive the experience if the offer were made.

Recently in a discussion of various welfare benefits with a person that chose to file for everything he could get rather than work (he claimed emotional disability), he compared that to my small 50% retirement w/medical benefits to something he was entitled to because society crapped on him when he was fired for disrespect to his boss.

We're living in an ENTITLEMENT SOCIETY.

Just something to muse on

Last edited by Cruiter; 04-19-2015 at 02:34 PM.
Old 04-19-2015, 02:35 PM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Received 346 Likes on 208 Posts

I think it's pretty simple...

Do they do a fantastic job and deserve to be compensated...yes.
Does that mean they deserve a TIP in addition to their compensation they receive, I don't think so.

I understand the temptation to tip, but the fact is, this places an expectation on others who really shouldn't have to bear that burden. These instructors aren't paid a salary plus tips, when negotiating what they make.

I have done driving schools, and I agree these people do a great job, but I think tipping steps beyond the line. The school is appropriately costly, and the compensation for the instructors is included when those figures are calculated.

In contrast, as a paramedic years ago I did CPR on peoples dying chests for 45+ minutes, shocked people's parents back from death, intubated people who had no ability to breathe, brought people back from heroin overdoses....should I have been tipped? I made a hell of a lot less than those driving instructors do.
The following 3 users liked this post by RC000E:
amphora001 (03-06-2016), rmorin1249 (03-05-2016), UltimateVette (03-07-2016)
Old 04-19-2015, 03:10 PM
sanantguy
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Cruiter
Like most others, I left a tip. Like others have said, it seems to be a thing today, even at fast food operations.

I know some of you like myself gave 20 years of service to our country in one of the Armed Forces . We worked proudly for meager wages considering the work and often the risk. 40 hour work weeks or eight hour days were not part of our vocabulary. We never asked for nor were offered a tip.

I think all of us that gave 20 years or more would gladly relive the experience if the offer were made.

Recently in a discussion of various welfare benefits with a person that chose to file for everything he could get rather than work (he claimed emotional disability), he compared that to my small 50% retirement w/medical benefits to something he was entitled to because society crapped on him when he was fired for disrespect to his boss.

We're living in an ENTITLEMENT SOCIETY.

Just something to muse on

I'm not sure military service even has a place in a conversation about tips.

****, I volunteered to go back in the Marines (0311) to kick off the Iraq war. Know what I expect from anyone after all that? Not a damn thing, nor do I want anything, including a thank you. They call it the service, for a reason.
Old 04-19-2015, 03:14 PM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Received 346 Likes on 208 Posts

^ A principle that about 95% of the country has forgotten. I've always hated to sound harsh, but if you do a job, you do it because you choose, not because you should expect some praise for it. If you serve, you serve your country because it's something you want to say you did...its about pride, not handouts, book deals, movie deals, and all this bs I see anymore.

Same goes for anyone else...track instructors, cops, electricians, you name it. Many jobs place the guy in danger for the betterment or continuation of society. Military, garbage men, lumberjacks, fishermen...they all serve to provide for society, and many die doing it.

Tip your driving instructor...I think not...lol.
Old 04-19-2015, 03:15 PM
meyerweb
Safety Car

Received 483 Likes on 320 Posts

I've taught motorcycle riding classes over the years, and earned way less than I suspect the instructors at SM get paid. In fact, most of it was volunteer. I never got tipped, and never expected to.
Old 04-19-2015, 07:19 PM
5thGear
Drifting

Received 199 Likes on 124 Posts

As many said, there is no right or wrong. No need to keep trying to justify why you shouldnt tip. Its your personal choice.

The school /instructors did exceed my expectations and everyone at the class said the same thing. They did provide lots of personal one on one attention. There is no obligation to tip and the instructors didnt ask for it or even hint for it. They were extreemly thankful when some of us gave group tips at the end of the class.

I have attended couple of motorcycle schools. I didnt tip because I was not given attention and instructors didnt care much.
My freind attended the AMG school and he wasnt happy with the experiance. I dont see why he should tip in this situation.
Old 04-20-2015, 12:18 AM
CaptV1VR
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Babaron
I went last Feb. to the 3-day course and LOVED the experience. Instuctors there are TOP-NOTCH! I too never thought to tip until it was brought up. But I never felt pressured to do it. Finally, after thinking about it for a bit, I ended up tipping. After I got home, I thought more and felt as if I should have tipped more.

The message here is:
1. If you are going to the course, think about tipping as you take it.
2. After you are done, tip (or not) as you see fit.
3. One really should take the course before making a judgement on this.
Well Put!
Took the 2 day class in March and I along with the rest of the class had a great experience! If you see fit, give a tip. You"ll have a great time either way and the instructors don't ever ask for any gratuity like some excursions you might find on vacations.
I left a Benjamin and thought it could have been more...
A year prior, I left a tip at Bondurant also!
Great instruction by both!
Old 04-20-2015, 11:31 AM
Jedi-Jurist
Pro

Received 141 Likes on 72 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

I thought they really earned my $100 tip for the 3 day class. Everyone went the extra mile and deserved it.
Old 04-20-2015, 12:36 PM
gregd
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TBRDS
LIStingray was the first person to mention tipping, I believe, in his recent great writeup about Spring Mountain. I'm usually a decent tipper, but I hadn't thought about it. I'd be interested in hearing what others did about this. I guess it's the first time I've heard of tipping at a school or training class. (I hope I don't sound cheap! )
Some people make unusually low wages because they are expected to receive tips. (most notably waiters and waitresses) That's the way the system works and they deserve to be tipped. No one else should have any expectation of being tipped. The problem is that everyone else in the service industry has gotten on the bandwagon. You are made to feel guilty if you don't tip.

Another point that bugs me: Once was 10% was considered a good tip. Then it was 15% and now I see suggestions of 20%. ??? What is the basis for the increase? Cost of living is higher so I should increase my tip? Ok, but didn't the price of my meal increase? A 10% tip on a $10 meal is $1, if that meal now costs $20 a 10% tip is now $2, so I've automatically kept up with the cost of living. But now it is suggested I tip 20%, or $4. What happened to quadruple the value of the service?

I left a tip after my last visit to Spring Mountain, ($100) and I will do it again. The guys are fantastic and I am happy to throw something in the pot to show my appreciation. However, it should not be considered part of the compensation package, but rather as way of saying "Thanks for a fantastic experience."

That said, pm me and I'll give you my pay pal account so you can tip me for posting this message...
Old 04-20-2015, 12:42 PM
Torchsport
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 396 Likes on 226 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by gregd
That said, pm me and I'll give you my pay pal account so you can tip me for posting this message...
Old 05-21-2015, 12:14 AM
81Wayne
Advanced

I can see word on the Corvette forum is very mixed. Some agree and some say tipping in general is getting out of hand.
I provide a personal sales service above and beyond to my customers. Some days that even takes money out of my pocket, no one has ever offered me a tip and I would never expect one. I'm simply doing my job.
Imagine being able to teach people to drive everyday in someone elses Corvette, never having to pay for gas, tires, brakes, damages or any repairs of any sorts. Then as the model years get better they just provide more free newer Corvettes for you to use year after year. Hell I'd do that kind of job for free if I could afford to. No tipping required...
I highly doubt any of the instructors are suffering from low wages doing it. Or simply they find another job.

Just asking how of you tipped your children's teacher who spent close to 180 days a year teaching your child each school day? Doing it for 12 plus years and beyond. Not to mention in some cases have to put up with a child's BS....... Not suggesting yours were **** disturbers, but a lot of kids in general are not easy students. At the end of it hopefully your children were given the opportunity to make a very successful living, often out earning the people who taught them. Not like I'll walk away from the school earning money from the skills I learned by attending it.

Many of you are earning far more then the teachers who spent years teaching you, allowing to make the comfortable living you enjoy. Purchase the Corvettes you've owned over the years and so on. How many of you have gone back to tip those teachers?
The following users liked this post:
principalpony (03-11-2016)
Old 08-06-2015, 02:49 PM
BBrimberry
Cruising

I know this thread hasn't been active lately. However, wanted to add a comment about a recent visit to Spring Mountain. At the conclusion of a class last month, tipping wasn't mentioned at all. YMMV. Thanks.
Old 08-06-2015, 11:56 PM
TBF
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

Im with Boxter99, For you guys that like to tip. Have you dropped by the local military base and gave a tip to the young enlisted members keeping us safe?
Old 03-05-2016, 11:53 AM
SilverStingray
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LIStingray
Then I guess you will think $165 for the professional photographer on day 2, which includes two 5x7 prints plus a usb drive with the 25-40 pictures they took of you is a complete rip-off.
But does the photographer get a tip on top of his earnings. If not whats the difference. Isnt he a professional at his job like the drivers are.

Last edited by SilverStingray; 03-05-2016 at 11:58 AM.
Old 03-05-2016, 12:46 PM
BenCasey
Burning Brakes

Received 268 Likes on 188 Posts

im going in August. But my tip money was being saved for this place just down the road:

http://www.sherisranch.com

Now that's earning a living and a tip. If the instructors are providing full release, I'll tip the crap out of them too.
The following users liked this post:
UltimateVette (03-07-2016)
Old 03-05-2016, 02:03 PM
defaria
Safety Car

Received 1,203 Likes on 732 Posts

I didn't tip them. First off, like many, I didn't expect to tip them in the first place. Secondly, as is usual, I had no cash on me. I rarely deal in cash. And I wasn't about to whip out a Visa card!

As for poor people needing a tip - I've always thought this was stupid. First off I'm not on this planet to serve another. Get a better job if you want better pay. Also, it occurs to me that if everybody tips then the amount of money spend for dining out (for example) increases. IOW it costs more. Why not, then, simply raise the prices to reflect what people are spending anyway and then pay the waiters appropriately. No more sitting around figuring out how much to tip, etc. Plus people tip for a good meal or even good service and the waitress gets the tip, when the real person who should be tipped it the dude busting his butt over the stove delivering good food quickly so the waitress doesn't seem slow to deliver? Yeah some places spread the tips to the back room workers but then in odd ways, often not deserved ways, and you're thinking you're tipping the cute waitress when the bartender's getting it. It's all a con.

Get notified of new replies

To Tipping at Spring Mountain

Old 03-05-2016, 02:10 PM
rmorin1249
Le Mans Master

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,174 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16,'18

Originally Posted by RC000E
I think it's pretty simple...

Do they do a fantastic job and deserve to be compensated...yes.
Does that mean they deserve a TIP in addition to their compensation they receive, I don't think so.

I understand the temptation to tip, but the fact is, this places an expectation on others who really shouldn't have to bear that burden. These instructors aren't paid a salary plus tips, when negotiating what they make.

I have done driving schools, and I agree these people do a great job, but I think tipping steps beyond the line. The school is appropriately costly, and the compensation for the instructors is included when those figures are calculated.

In contrast, as a paramedic years ago I did CPR on peoples dying chests for 45+ minutes, shocked people's parents back from death, intubated people who had no ability to breathe, brought people back from heroin overdoses....should I have been tipped? I made a hell of a lot less than those driving instructors do.
I saw no evidence of anyone tipping during or after my class but to be honest I wasn't really watching. The instructors did a great job and I thanked them personally at the end of the course.

I'm headed to a BMW M School next week and I don't plan to tip there either.

Last edited by rmorin1249; 03-05-2016 at 02:12 PM.
Old 03-05-2016, 02:41 PM
Timohio
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by C7DriverOnt
Tipping professional drivers at a race school that costs thousands to attend? Crazy !

Waiters, low wage earners, that I get.
I agree. Waiters hourly wage is half the federal minimum wage around here or about $4.00 per hour. I got a feeling those instructors are making a lot more than that.
Old 03-05-2016, 03:01 PM
Basil2000
Drifting

Received 975 Likes on 500 Posts

I just returned from spring mountain and I left a tip for the drivers. I did this because all the drivers went out of their way to make my time enjoyable. My wife also made a comment how nice and patient the instructors were. i imagine that the tips they receive on a routine basis is what keeps them happy.

Quick Reply: Tipping at Spring Mountain