Two different options for battery protection

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2015, 09:06 PM
schaibaa
Burning Brakes

Received 145 Likes on 90 Posts
Default Two different options for battery protection

Hello everyone,

When going through the online configurator, there is actually two different options for battery protection. One is $100 and the other is $120 -- can anyone point out the differences? The descriptions are very similar.

Thanks!
Old 03-16-2015, 09:36 PM
OVERULD
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 296 Likes on 214 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16

Originally Posted by schaibaa
Hello everyone,

When going through the online configurator, there is actually two different options for battery protection. One is $100 and the other is $120 -- can anyone point out the differences? The descriptions are very similar.

Thanks!
I had similar questions. I ordered the $100 option, RPO code ERI, which came in a box with the car. It is an attractive wall-mounted battery tender with a plug to go into a 110 volt AC wall outlet, and a long cord with a plug on the end which will be inserted into the auxiliary power outlet in the rear of the car. On my Vert it is in the right rear of the trunk. The wall mounted piece has a nice C7 Logo on it.

I was never able to find out what the other was, but I could not find an RPO code for it and IIRC it shows up as an LPO or dealer installed option on the Build Your Own site? It has been a while since I was spending so much time working on my build, I can't remember how it was presented.

Edit: I just went back and looked on the Build Your Own website and re-built my car. The two Battery protection options are pretty much identical. If you look at each one, there is a hyperlink to more information. If you read the descriptions of each, they are describing the same thing, so I would go with the $100 option.

BJ

Last edited by OVERULD; 03-16-2015 at 09:51 PM.
Old 03-16-2015, 11:01 PM
fdxpilot
Safety Car

Received 66 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by schaibaa
Hello everyone,

Thanks!
One is an option, which is added at the factory. It is $100. I've gotten that on both our C7s. The other is on the accessories tab of the build page. That means it is not installed (or in the case of the charger, put in the trunk or back end) but shipped from a GM Accessory Parts warehouse to your dealer. GM charges $120 for that.

If you look at the accessories tab, you will see several items that can be ordered, which are also factory options. Carbon Flash emblems are one example, although in this case, you will end up with the removed chrome emblems, as well as the dealer installed carbon flash ones. They are almost always more expensive as accessories, than when ordered as a factory option or from one of our GM parts vendors after the fact.
Old 03-16-2015, 11:32 PM
nmvettec7
Safety Car

Received 850 Likes on 493 Posts

I own several premium sport cars.

My suggestion....

DO NOT ORDER either one from the GM order site.

They are CTEK brands but over priced from GM.

Plain and simple....BUY THIS.....

Amazon.com: CTEK (56-864) MUS 4.3 12-VoltBattery Charger: Automotive Amazon.com: CTEK (56-864) MUS 4.3 12-VoltBattery Charger: Automotive

This is an 8 step charger that will desulphate the battery, and go thru a series of steps to keep the battery fully charged.

Also connect directly to the battery 10mm terminal posts on the battery in the trunk. You won't have any electrical problems.

I use the exact same charger as I suggested on my 2015 Corvette C7.

Here's a link to review the charger I suggest. The GM chargers will NOT complete the same steps.

You will also need the comfort extension cord.

Amazon.com: CTEK (56-304) Comfort Connect Extension Cable: Automotive Amazon.com: CTEK (56-304) Comfort Connect Extension Cable: Automotive

Be sure to read the reviews on these links provided.

You will NOT be sorry that you ordered this CTEK MUS 4.3 smartcharger.

Last edited by nmvettec7; 03-16-2015 at 11:49 PM.
Old 03-17-2015, 08:58 AM
GS GUY
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does the battery tender that came with the c6 work on the c7?
Old 03-17-2015, 09:36 AM
fdxpilot
Safety Car

Received 66 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by GS GUY
Does the battery tender that came with the c6 work on the c7?
Yes, of course your emblem is now wrong!

Get notified of new replies

To Two different options for battery protection

Quick Reply: Two different options for battery protection