Sponsored by:

Instrument Cluster

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2015, 12:46 PM
JVJaz
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Instrument Cluster

Has anyone experienced a problem with the gauge cluster going completely dark - no digital, no analog? I've experienced this problem 2x with my 2014 Z51. After shutting the car off and leaving it alone for a period of time, it begins to work again. Strangely, the center screen for radio, NAV and such worked just fine. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Old 03-16-2015, 01:05 PM
alienranch
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 112 Likes on 69 Posts

This happen when driving, or upon startup? Either way, not normal and needs to be addressed by a dealership.
Old 03-16-2015, 01:08 PM
JVJaz
Instructor

Originally Posted by alienranch
This happen when driving, or upon startup? Either way, not normal and needs to be addressed by a dealership.
Upon startup only. I did bring it to the dealer and, of course, the problem was non-existent then. He did a software update and the problem appeared again upon startup this morning. I called the dealership and they said to wait until it happens again. Yuk.
Old 03-16-2015, 01:11 PM
alienranch
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 112 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by JVJaz
Upon startup only. I did bring it to the dealer and, of course, the problem was non-existent then. He did a software update and the problem appeared again upon startup this morning. I called the dealership and they said to wait until it happens again. Yuk.
Try to catch it on video. You'll never get it to do it at will during a dealership visit.
Old 03-16-2015, 01:14 PM
JVJaz
Instructor

Originally Posted by alienranch
Try to catch it on video. You'll never get it to do it at will during a dealership visit.
Thanks and since my car is a 2014, I don't have the video feature on my car. I will use my cell phone and take pictures of the blank dash.
Old 03-16-2015, 01:29 PM
Jimbob26
Burning Brakes

Received 81 Likes on 64 Posts

Had the same problem - driving down the freeway and suddenly the DIC went dark. Turned itself back on a couple of minutes (or so it seemed) later. Also had a similar problem where the DIC froze up while driving; looked at the HUD and it said 28 mph, and I was going probably 65. The gauges also said 28. I varied my speed, nothing changed. Then, as if it re-booted itself it all came back online. Also had my radio go silent, even though it showed it was working, but upon restarting the car worked great.

I figure with the software, there are times when the system gets jammed and needs to reboot. Seems to take care of it on its own. No problems since, but glad I got an extended warranty if something goes out after the factory warranty expires.
Old 03-16-2015, 01:31 PM
JVJaz
Instructor

Originally Posted by Jimbob26
Had the same problem - driving down the freeway and suddenly the DIC went dark. Turned itself back on a couple of minutes (or so it seemed) later. Also had a similar problem where the DIC froze up while driving; looked at the HUD and it said 28 mph, and I was going probably 65. The gauges also said 28. I varied my speed, nothing changed. Then, as if it re-booted itself it all came back online. Also had my radio go silent, even though it showed it was working, but upon restarting the car worked great.

I figure with the software, there are times when the system gets jammed and needs to reboot. Seems to take care of it on its own. No problems since, but glad I got an extended warranty if something goes out after the factory warranty expires.
Thanks, JimBob, for the post
Old 03-16-2015, 01:41 PM
tyho
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by JVJaz
Has anyone experienced a problem with the gauge cluster going completely dark - no digital, no analog? I've experienced this problem 2x with my 2014 Z51. After shutting the car off and leaving it alone for a period of time, it begins to work again. Strangely, the center screen for radio, NAV and such worked just fine. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Same thing happened to me upon start up, 2015 z51 m7 LT1. Everything was blank except for the pdr. I had to drive home at night without speedo, fuel, rpm or any of the digital or analogue guages. Fortunately the pdr showed my speed. Told the dealer, has no idea. said to monitor the situation. When I restarted the car, all was fine???
Old 03-16-2015, 01:53 PM
JVJaz
Instructor

Originally Posted by tyho
Same thing happened to me upon start up, 2015 z51 m7 LT1. Everything was blank except for the pdr. I had to drive home at night without speedo, fuel, rpm or any of the digital or analogue guages. Fortunately the pdr showed my speed. Told the dealer, has no idea. said to monitor the situation. When I restarted the car, all was fine???
same with me but I don't have pdr. Chevy needs to look into this as the dealers don't have a clue. Thanks for the post.
Old 03-16-2015, 02:04 PM
Woodson
Le Mans Master

Received 1,366 Likes on 790 Posts

Yes, a few times times. Temporary fix is to pull and replace fuse #25 (on 2015 anyway) under the hood. It has only ever happened to me after having the hatch open. I hate going to the dealer so I'm just dealing with it for now.
Old 03-16-2015, 02:11 PM
JVJaz
Instructor

Originally Posted by Woodson
Yes, a few times times. Temporary fix is to pull and replace fuse #25 (on 2015 anyway) under the hood. It has only ever happened to me after having the hatch open. I hate going to the dealer so I'm just dealing with it for now.
Interesting, and now that I think of it, this morning's episode also happened after I opened and closed the hatch. Electric gremlins to say the least. Thanks.
Old 03-16-2015, 02:13 PM
scott53
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

This happened to my 2014 twice. Also had a red line run diagonally across the screen from lower left to upper right. My best guess is it lasted for under 10-15 seconds, but it sure felt longer. As soon as Grabiak Chevrolet's Corvette tech Brian told that to the Chevy Tech Center they told him to replace the screen. He did so and not a problem since. Apparently it is a known problem.
Old 03-16-2015, 02:18 PM
JVJaz
Instructor

Originally Posted by scott53
This happened to my 2014 twice. Also had a red line run diagonally across the screen from lower left to upper right. My best guess is it lasted for under 10-15 seconds, but it sure felt longer. As soon as Grabiak Chevrolet's Corvette tech Brian told that to the Chevy Tech Center they told him to replace the screen. He did so and not a problem since. Apparently it is a known problem.
Thanks, Scott; most helpful.
Old 03-16-2015, 02:22 PM
scott53
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Brian told me it was "an invasive procedure" but not a problem. That caused me some concern as he is a very calm guy and not prone to exaggeration. He had the car for two days. Afterwards, everything was perfect. All has worked well, no rattles or squeaks. It concerned me, but I'm glad I got it changed out. By the way, mine is #10879 and came off the line on December 17, 2014. I thought that may help if yours was built around the same time.
Old 03-16-2015, 02:25 PM
srsvette
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Happened to me. Had it replaced at the dealer. Works fine ever since.
Old 03-16-2015, 02:26 PM
JVJaz
Instructor

Originally Posted by scott53
Brian told me it was "an invasive procedure" but not a problem. That caused me some concern as he is a very calm guy and not prone to exaggeration. He had the car for two days. Afterwards, everything was perfect. All has worked well, no rattles or squeaks. It concerned me, but I'm glad I got it changed out. By the way, mine is #10879 and came off the line on December 17, 2014. I thought that may help if yours was built around the same time.
Thanks again. Mine is 16491 and came off the line on 2/21/14. I will monitor as I hate to go to the dealer as it sounds like they have to remove the whole dash.
Old 03-16-2015, 02:30 PM
srsvette
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

They take the whole dash apart. Just don't watch. No squeaks or rattles when done.

Get notified of new replies

To Instrument Cluster

Old 03-16-2015, 02:32 PM
Woodson
Le Mans Master

Received 1,366 Likes on 790 Posts

I believe mine is a different issue. When this happens, my HUD does not work either. Everything that is tied into fuse #25 stops working until I reset it.
Old 03-16-2015, 02:35 PM
Bulwinkle
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Same thing happened to my car. GM had the dealership replace the whole cluster. All covered under warranty
Old 03-16-2015, 02:37 PM
JVJaz
Instructor

I believe mine is a different issue. When this happens, my HUD does not work either. Everything that is tied into fuse #25 stops working until I reset it.
I have the same thing as I forgot to mention that my HUD doesn't work either when this happened. And, by resetting, you mean taking fuse #25 out and placing it back in, correct? Maybe it needs a new fuse?

Quick Reply: Instrument Cluster