C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Stingray could have the same infotainment system as million dollar cars....

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2015, 12:34 PM
F7addict
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used to hear people talk about apple products like they were the ultimate. I used to laugh to myself and think nothing is THAT great over other competing products. UNTIL I got my first iPhone. Now I get it. Love the iPad imac and iPad and how easily they all go together. Never had any problems with any of the products either. I wish the hell my 15 had car play.
Old 03-07-2015, 12:40 PM
C7-Beast
Safety Car

Received 331 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by F7addict
I used to hear people talk about apple products like they were the ultimate. I used to laugh to myself and think nothing is THAT great over other competing products. UNTIL I got my first iPhone. Now I get it. Love the iPad imac and iPad and how easily they all go together. Never had any problems with any of the products either. I wish the hell my 15 had car play.
And THAT was exactly my point. There is NOTHING wrong with Apple products if you use them the way Apple meant and if they are all Apple products.

It's only when you step outside the world of Apple that you run into challenges. I personally want options. That is why Apple is not right for me. Does not mean it's not right for others with different needs.
Old 03-07-2015, 12:42 PM
Lacoven
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mike02Z
How many other Android phones have you tried? Not trying to say Apple is no good. Just wondering what your basis for comparison is.

First, Android is an operating system. Google, who created the Android OS does not make phones. Even the Google Play Edition phones are made by someone else and Google let's them use the Google name.

Second, Android is an open source OS which means many talented developers can create enhancements to the the OS. Apple is proprietary even though based on Unix.

Apple produces their own phones (manufactutered overseas like every other phone) and you must run the Apple OS. They do not license the code so only Apple makes the Apple OS. It is a closed OS.

Remember when Apple almost went under because they refused to allow anyone else to make PC's with the Apple OS?

Another example similar to the Apple business model was Sony with Betamax. JVC, creator of VHS, licensed the technology to all manufacturers. Sony, creator of Betamax, initially let no one make Betamax hardware and who won that war? (I still claim Betamax was better )

Apple has been losing the cell phone wars until recently introducing the iPhone 6. In my view, they have an unsustainable business model that will end them. Especially without Steve Jobs.

People who typically use iPhones are newbies to the smart phone world and like using iTunes and everything else Apple. Or esle they have just gotten very used to Apple and don't want to learn a new way of doing things. Apple does make for a nice little closed electronics eco system. Nothing wrong with that but it limits your choices. Some like having limited choices. Others, like me, do not.

Guess that is why they make Corvettes in different colors and with different options. Not all of us want a White Corvette with the only option being Stingray or Z06. In my view, this is Apples business model. Limited hardware, no choice to customize your OS, do it the Apple way or get out.

Want a smartphone with an external SD? How about with a user replaceable battery? How about charging and syncing your phone using the standard micro USB? Guess what, can't get any of that with an iPhone.

Sorry, just can't stand Apple not giving users the simple things that many other phone manufacturers have been giving the customer for years.

One last item. I don't hate Apple. I hate that the charge a premium for products that give the consumer less than other brands and basically say, Take what we offer or go somewhere else. This is a great disservice to the consumer but is great for Apple making bigger profits.
I agree totally on Apple and their niche market of people that buy their products and over price and not outside source friendly, but that has always been their model. The phones is only thing I buy and I have personally owned a note 3 and S5 and the OS seems clunky and don't like how it's setup at all. I know several people that are switching back. Here is a post from a friend (Sean McGinnis I honestly tried to like it but the iPhone runs circles around this new Note (my wife has the 6+) and the iPhone is pretty much superior in every aspect imo. I might reactivate my 5s.) And I know several companies make android,Microsoft ,Google phones etc., but seems to me them doing the whole process puts out better quality phone. Where phones are made is a totally different topic about companies selling out America for profit, but nothing really to do with phones.
Old 03-07-2015, 02:00 PM
F7addict
Racer

My wife's employer gives their employees new samsung phones each year that they are updated so I get to sample the product. She and I are in agreement that our preference is for the iPhone hands down. She can't switch because her company installs what ever system they use for their secure communication process I guess you'd call it. Oh and they do PR for samsung. Lol.
Old 03-08-2015, 10:03 AM
motox621
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Default apple crap

Originally Posted by docprego
They suck because they work tirelessly to make great products and then have the audacity to charge consumers for them? It's called capitalism. Should they give it away for free?

I don't understand all the Apple hate. People obviously want what they're selling, that's why they are Forbes #1 most valuable brand.

For me it comes down to very well engineered hardware and software that work seamlessly together. That's what they do best, no one else comes close.
yes they should get payed for there work BUT they also set up all there stuff to only work with there stuff that's where the problem is if it worked with everything i would not have a prob with them but once you buy one thing they have then you need something eles and something eles and so on then you got so much time into there stuff its a pain to change out ....but somehow all the other stuff you can buy just links together with NO PROBLEM go figure
Old 03-08-2015, 10:15 AM
motox621
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Default apple crap

Originally Posted by Mike02Z
And THAT was exactly my point. There is NOTHING wrong with Apple products if you use them the way Apple meant and if they are all Apple products.

It's only when you step outside the world of Apple that you run into challenges. I personally want options. That is why Apple is not right for me. Does not mean it's not right for others with different needs.
well there the point we who don't like to TRAPPED with apple don't want that in our car we cant use it because apple will not let there stuff go with other stuff like ALL the other brands do
LOL put apple in the info center and we will all have to prob sign up give our life history and shoe size to join some kinda i tunes or cloud crap to be able to use a gas pump to put gas in the car oh wait we will have to first find a apple gas station for that to work right
Old 03-08-2015, 01:06 PM
GreG L.
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default World wide smartphone forecast.

World wide smartphone forecast.

2014 Market share
Android Shipments 997.7M Market Share 80.2%
Apple Shipments 184.1M Market Share 14.8%
Windows Phone Shipments 43.3M Market Share 3.5%

2018 Market share
Android Shipments 1,401.3M Share 77.6%
Apple Shipments 247.4M Market Share 13.7%
Windows Phone 115.3M Market Share 6.4%
Old 03-08-2015, 01:10 PM
C7-Beast
Safety Car

Received 331 Likes on 201 Posts

Wait until you try and leave Apple....They lock in your text number as part of iMessage so if you have contacts that iMessage you, they will no longer be able to text you on your non Apple phone until you log into Apple and disassociate your mobile number from iPhone.

I'm sure you click something that allows this but when my Mom switched from iPhone to Android we had a heck of a time figuring out why no one with an Apple device could text her any longer.

Just be advised, if you switch from Apple and move your number, you will need to un-associate your mobile number from iMessage on Apple's site.

Originally Posted by GreG L.
World wide smartphone forecast.

2014 Market share
Android Shipments 997.7M Market Share 80.2%
Apple Shipments 184.1M Market Share 14.8%
Windows Phone Shipments 43.3M Market Share 3.5%

2018 Market share
Android Shipments 1,401.3M Share 77.6%
Apple Shipments 247.4M Market Share 13.7%
Windows Phone 115.3M Market Share 6.4%
I knew I read this somewhere. Thanks. I knew Android was crushing Apple in sales but was unable to locate this.
Old 03-09-2015, 04:17 PM
snsjr
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Not for a car

Originally Posted by Len44
^This. Strange about the Apple-haters. Maybe there could be a choice of Apple and something else.

Took me a long time to "get it" and convert to Apple. Very, Very Pleased with how their stuff actually WORKS and ties together so easily.
My issue with Apple's approach is that it always seems to be a one size fits all. If you happen to think the way that Apple thinks you do, then your life is truly wonderful -- their products work great that way.

But if you don't think the same way, you're simply screwed. This shows up in all sorts of things from small to big. As a small example, a few upgrades back (I do have an iPhone), Apple decided that with their new Podcast app, no one would ever want to use the plain music application to listen to podcasts. So they went out of their way to make it impossible to do so. The problem? Well, I listen to multi-part podcasts, and sometimes they come out (for whatever reason) in a different order. The solution -- which was no longer possible -- was to simply have a playlist of podcasts, and I got my podcasts in exactly the order I wanted.

Not a big deal for something as trivial to me as a phone. Not something I'd want integrated into my dream car.
Old 03-09-2015, 04:49 PM
DAFFYDRUNK
Melting Slicks

Received 289 Likes on 238 Posts

I own a computer biz, but as much as of a techno geek I might be, the dash of my car is one place I kinda wish stayed old school. It's just too much money to be stung be planned obsolescence.

If I could only buy a new Corvette with no infotainment system I'd be happy. Give me a plain set of analog gauges, and an old school stereo with an analog input for my phone.
No matter what kind of device support they have, Apple or otherwise, someday this connectivity will all be horribly obsolete and useless. Then you'll have to drop another $70k on newer Corvette because you upgraded your phone. We'll look at the C7 in the same way we look at the digital dashes in early C4s. At least the BS gauges in the early C4 still work.
Old 03-09-2015, 05:09 PM
Woodson
Le Mans Master

Received 1,366 Likes on 790 Posts

Originally Posted by KenHorse
There is nothing about the Infotainment system in my 2LT that is bad or otherwise lacking.
I wish.
Old 03-09-2015, 07:14 PM
c5eddiem
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Apple vs Android arguments aside, I do not buy Apple products for an entirely different reason.

It seems that Apple, our "as American as Apple pie" company has created their corporate structure to allow them to push over 80% of their profits offshore (read as 'no US taxes on all that money')

Their skillful structure to NOT pay taxes is SO GOOD that companies like GE and IBM have copied the plan, and guess who loses?

The average guy in the street why buys Corvettes, and pays his taxes! Oh wait, that's you and me!
Old 03-09-2015, 08:25 PM
TennisFreak
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 52 Posts

If the car came with an Apple CarPlay or Apple anything in it without an option for me to get it without

I WOULD NOT GET IT

I don't do anything Apple, period. I'm not an Andriod fan either.

I'm a Windows guy

Of course I'm a Microsoft developer so I am a bit biased. If you have never had a Windows Phone you truly are missing out. Windows Phone may not have an app or two but it really is above Apple and Android.
Old 03-09-2015, 08:45 PM
DAFFYDRUNK
Melting Slicks

Received 289 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by TennisFreak
If the car came with an Apple CarPlay or Apple anything in it without an option for me to get it without

I WOULD NOT GET IT

I don't do anything Apple, period. I'm not an Andriod fan either.

I'm a Windows guy

Of course I'm a Microsoft developer so I am a bit biased. If you have never had a Windows Phone you truly are missing out. Windows Phone may not have an app or two but it really is above Apple and Android.
The gf got a Note 3 for $1 under contract recently. She made the comment the other day that she kinda wished she could still use her windows phone. (Nokia 920) She loved it other than the battery only lasting half a day toward the end of her contract. Now it's a toy for her nephew when he's over here. Still good for kid games...
Old 03-09-2015, 08:52 PM
TennisFreak
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by DAFFYDRUNK
The gf got a Note 3 for $1 under contract recently. She made the comment the other day that she kinda wished she could still use her windows phone. (Nokia 920) She loved it other than the battery only lasting half a day toward the end of her contract. Now it's a toy for her nephew when he's over here. Still good for kid games...
Too bad she didn't look at the 1520 (Windows phablet) it would have been perfect for her.

I have one and the battery can go a full 2 days without charge!

Quick Reply: The Stingray could have the same infotainment system as million dollar cars....