Sponsored by:

What to bring to Spring Mountain

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2015, 09:04 PM
onthebottom
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default What to bring to Spring Mountain

My lovely wife gave me the 3 day level 1 course for my birthday... going May 12-14. I'm wondering from veterans, what should I bring - driving shoes, helmet, anything special to wear?

Any/all tips appreciated, including if it's worth it to hit Vegas for dinners or if it's too far, should I bring a camera (or drone - have one of those).

OTB
Old 03-03-2015, 09:32 PM
tkbigsky
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The school is incredible and you will enjoy it immensely. If you have a GoPro bring it, don't bother bringing a helmet they have them and they take up a lot of room when traveling. Race shoes definitely help especially when practicing heel/toe exercises. Don't buy the insurance unless you are 100% sure you will be driving in the gravel. It's typically hot so shorts make sense. Vegas is a heck of a drive to and from the school and the highway is also one of the most dangerous in the state and highly patrolled by the cops. Spend time in Vegas before or after the event. Have fun!
Old 03-03-2015, 10:48 PM
mjcourt
Pro

Received 118 Likes on 73 Posts

I agree with TKBIGSKY, no need for extra insurance, and unless you have previous track experience, at the end of the day you will be more tired than you will expect, and will be happy to relax after class rather than drive to LV.

Most of their 2015s have the Performance Data Recorder so you may want to bring a card to save your sessions.

I know the cars have 'rev-match' but if you want to learn heel/toe downshifts and you are not already good at it, read up and practice some before going. Doing your own heel/toe rather than relying on the computer is like adding gravy to the potatoes
Old 03-03-2015, 10:56 PM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,028 Likes on 486 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

You are going when it will be hot, so have lots of extra t-shirts to swap out to during the day. They have moved mostly to '15's with the PDR, so not sure you will need a GoPro, but a 32g SD card will give you 790 minutes of recording time.
You can wear a pair of narrow toed sneakers, but a driving shoe is nice too (they are more similar to a high-top racing shoe but can be worn around with casual clothes). Consider something like a Sparco Time 77. SM has helmets and balaclavas. Take a good pair of sunglasses. Drink lots of water.
Have fun.
S.
Old 03-04-2015, 09:05 AM
nmerhaut
Melting Slicks

Received 75 Likes on 62 Posts

Don't forget a camera for someone to take pictures of you on the track and turns. I always suggest little recording device for class in case you miss some of the discussion.

I took 2 pair of shorts and 3 t-shirts for the 3 day school 3 years ago. Although it was hot, the perspiration dries quickly. Take a few pair of golf socks and comfortable underwear. I had a couple pair of Pilotis driving shoes so they were perfect. Take a swim suit for the pool.

I agree about not taking the insurance but that's a personal call.

Go with an open mind to learn and listen carefully, taking notes.

Try to avoid all alcohol, even at dinner.

Eat at the winery, best place out there for dining.

If your wife or significant other goes he/she will have the opportunity to ride with the instructor in the lead-follow procedure.

Stay away from The Chicken Ranch.

Vegas is a bit of a drive but western Vegas has plenty of gambling and eating spots. We were all so tired after that, we came home from dinner and crashed(metaphorically).

Have a blast.
Old 03-04-2015, 09:31 AM
beepster
Melting Slicks

Received 50 Likes on 30 Posts

One further tip not mentioned above: If you want to drive an auto, be sure to reserve one well in advance. There were a very limited # of autos when I was there. I specifically wanted one as my new C7 was A6...
Old 03-04-2015, 10:14 AM
Al Engel
Pro

Received 260 Likes on 96 Posts

Been to Spring Mt three times over the last five years and the experience gets better each time! Staying on the Strip in Vegas is how we (the wife and me) do it. Wife hangs in Vegas during the day shopping, shows, pool, etc. Drive time from the hotel self park lot (Bellagio) to Spring Mt is just under one hour with cruse control pegged at 72MPH. No traffic going in the morning - minor traffic returning to Vegas at night as you aproach the Strip. Dinning options in Vegas are excellent with some very good restaurants available. Enjoy the School. Best enhancement you can make to your C7 is learning what it can do and how to drive it!

Al Engel, "Save the Wave"
Old 03-04-2015, 10:30 AM
lebvette
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21

One thing good about Spring Mountain....if you get off the track...it's just gravel and not a big Oak tree.
Don't forget your sunglasses.
Old 03-04-2015, 10:31 AM
dpb
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default More Tips Please

I will be there with my wife on May 17-18 and want to go prepared. Thanks guys for all the tips. I am very excited as I have always believed that I didn't have a clue how to wring out the performance on these Corvettes and want to be able to drive this beauty to the best of my ability before I start making performance mods that may not even be necessary.
Old 03-04-2015, 10:40 AM
rocket68
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 28 Likes on 13 Posts

I am scheduled for the 2 days-April 21st & 22nd. Thanks for the tips on what to bring with me. Sounds like I have a great experience to look forward to then.
Old 03-04-2015, 12:22 PM
pickleseimer
Drifting

Received 321 Likes on 212 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Originally Posted by rocket68
I am scheduled for the 2 days-April 21st & 22nd. Thanks for the tips on what to bring with me. Sounds like I have a great experience to look forward to then.
As am I !! See you in class.
Old 03-04-2015, 01:38 PM
HighTeq
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

<---- April 30-May 1
Old 03-04-2015, 04:27 PM
c8nukeZ51
Racer

Received 93 Likes on 52 Posts

----March 30th - April 1st
Thanks for the tips
Old 03-04-2015, 05:19 PM
Jack Be Quick Racing
Pro

Location: Detroit area and Nashville area What day is it? Between MI & TN
Received 58 Likes on 38 Posts

Going Jun 22 for the two day.

I asked about the GoPro and they said 'bring it"! I know there is PDR and I think a card for that is a really good idea, however, I would probably do both as I am not overly excited about the PDR having used it on my car.

Get notified of new replies

To What to bring to Spring Mountain

Quick Reply: What to bring to Spring Mountain