Sponsored by:

About Those Options

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2015, 04:26 PM
Vettepartz
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default About Those Options

I am still looking at all of the available options on a 2015. If I do get one, it will definitely have the 2LT package.

Since most people usually get a new Corvette that a dealer already has in inventory, I am sure that they come with some extra options that the buyer would probably not have ordered. I have had this happen to me also.

My question to those with Corvettes from a dealer (not factory ordered), what options did you get that you would not have ordered, but now find that they are great and really like them?
Old 02-11-2015, 04:39 PM
kenownr
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 437 Likes on 316 Posts

Originally Posted by Vettepartz
I am still looking at all of the available options on a 2015. If I do get one, it will definitely have the 2LT package.

Since most people usually get a new Corvette that a dealer already has in inventory, I am sure that they come with some extra options that the buyer would probably not have ordered. I have had this happen to me also.

My question to those with Corvettes from a dealer (not factory ordered), what options did you get that you would not have ordered, but now find that they are great and really like them?
3LT: I would have ordered a 2LT. The 3LT option on paper seems like a lot more $$ and it is, although it has a slightly nicer interior and the PDR is standard. I probably would have ordered the PDR anyhow as it's just a nice to have feature and kind of cool. The 3LT has other nice touches that are not in the other packages. The car had all the other stuff I wanted, and with the dealer discounts it didn't hurt as much $$ wise as it seemed on the build it yourself web site. So to answer your question, I wouldn't have ordered a 3LT but now that I have it; I like it.
Old 02-11-2015, 06:04 PM
fdxpilot
Safety Car

Received 66 Likes on 48 Posts

Actually, Corvettes are one of the few vehicles that the majority sold are sold customer orders, at least for the first two model years of the C7.
Old 02-11-2015, 06:50 PM
Crossed Flags Fan
Melting Slicks

Received 493 Likes on 276 Posts

If you negotiated a good deal, you'd get a C7 off the lot with options you wouldn't have ordered for the same price (or less than) what an ordered one would cost without the options. Could be win-win.
Old 02-11-2015, 07:50 PM
BigRick1960
Advanced

Received 27 Likes on 12 Posts

Exposed carbon fiber top with body color trim, chrome rims and battery tender. All three have grown on me.
Old 02-11-2015, 08:24 PM
C7-Beast
Safety Car

Received 331 Likes on 201 Posts

My car had 3 options I never would have ordered. The Carbon Fiber dash, machined faced wheels, and the battery protection package.

Now that I see the standard dash, I prefer the carbon fiber dash but still probably would not have checked that box if ordering. Not for 1000 bucks.

I would have skipped the 100.00 battery protection since I already have 4 battery tenders.

I also would not have selected machine faced wheels and would have gone with black wheels. Now that I have them, I'm glad I have them.

I will say if I had ordered I would have checked the MSRC box along with the carbon flash emblems. I wanted a black on black manual, 2LT, Z51, MSRC, red calibers suede inserts, and painted roof.

I removed the chrome emblems and only replaced the front and rear emblems as I don't like the fish or tgr Corvette script across the back.
Old 02-11-2015, 09:30 PM
JohnAE455
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I had ordered I would have a yellow convert., 1LT, chrome wheels, NPP, and stick but couldn't pass-up a yellow convert. with 3LT, paddle shift, NPP, chrome wheels, carbon flash metallic hood decal and red calipers and I like it all. I could have saved a lot of money and had a car that was just as fast but got a good deal on all the extras so no worries.
Old 02-11-2015, 09:51 PM
LIE2ME
Le Mans Master

Received 4,579 Likes on 1,646 Posts

Last April I purchased a new 14 AW convertible off the showroom floor with

2LT
Auto
NPP
Nav
Sueded Interior

That's it and that is all I would have wanted.

Since I brought my baby home, I have added:

Machine faced wheels
Stinger stripe
Black Z51 spoiler

That's it and am more than happy.

Total investment (including add-ons) = $59,000.00

I am pretty sure I could not duplicate that today...

Old 02-12-2015, 11:15 AM
BigJoe
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 64 Likes on 43 Posts

Mine came with the exposed CF top and, if I'd ordered it I would have ordered the two top option for the same price (constraints allowing). Also it had yellow calipers (on a LRG car) which I hated at first but like now. I would have ordered the standard grey ones. Otherwise all the other options were as I would have ordered.
Old 02-12-2015, 12:47 PM
HDBADDOG55
Burning Brakes

Received 180 Likes on 73 Posts

NPP exhaust option is a must.

Clear roof was on 2014 due to constraints. Had reservations about that option, but, 14 months now & I love it.

Nav. was part of vehicle I bought, already built. Have never used it.

Upgraded GM floor mats & cargo mat totally cheezy. Immediately ordered Lloyd's double logo mats, and, promptly threw GM mats in the trash.
Old 02-12-2015, 01:18 PM
mpuzach
Race Director

Received 1,190 Likes on 594 Posts

Originally Posted by BigJoe
Mine came with the exposed CF top and, if I'd ordered it I would have ordered the two top option for the same price (constraints allowing).
Neither of the two top options is the same price as just getting the transparent top.
  • Transparent top only (no painted top): $995
  • Transparent top + painted top: $1995
  • Transparent top plus unpainted carbon fiber top: $2995
Old 02-12-2015, 01:40 PM
Jimbob26
Burning Brakes

Received 81 Likes on 64 Posts

OP - up to you. I ordered my car, as I plan on keeping it for a long time, and wanted to do it my way (ok, time to queue up Frank Sinatra). I was adamant about colors (both interior and exterior), and certain options (Z51, mag ride, 3LT and exposed CF roof). THe CF dash was constrained so I couldn't order it without waiting an unknown amount of time, but in hindsight don't know if it would have been worth the extra $1000.

A friend sold me his transparent roof for $500, as he got it for free as a result of some issues with his car, so now glad I have the dual roof option.

In the end make a list of 'must-haves', 'nice to haves' and 'not acceptable'. Then choose to buy off the lot or order based on what is available versus timing and what is out there. I suspect pricing is good either way given the discounts being advertised by the Forum dealers.

Funny thing - at the Spring Mountain school, most all the cars we drove were 3LT's, but most on the dealer lots are 2LT's. And, looking at the Z06's pretty much everything I am seeing on the lots or incoming have the Z07 package. That's a big decision.
Old 02-12-2015, 02:36 PM
boxster99t
Burning Brakes

Received 248 Likes on 178 Posts

I ordered mine so I got what I wanted-as for the comments above on the carbon fiber dash, I ordered that with the only misgiving being price. Glad I have that.

On a different tangent I wish GM packaged options differently. I got 3LT solely for the interior-don't care for the Nav or PDR frankly. So I guess I did get stuck with a few options I didn't want after all.
Old 02-12-2015, 03:25 PM
steve8
Race Director

Received 920 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by boxster99t
I ordered mine so I got what I wanted-as for the comments above on the carbon fiber dash, I ordered that with the only misgiving being price. Glad I have that.

On a different tangent I wish GM packaged options differently. I got 3LT solely for the interior-don't care for the Nav or PDR frankly. So I guess I did get stuck with a few options I didn't want after all.

Still haven't bought yet, but would love to get the 3LT without nav/pdr. $1800 is a lot of money to me for a waste of an option imo.
Old 02-12-2015, 04:07 PM
aj98
Melting Slicks

Received 168 Likes on 137 Posts

Would it sound too harsh to say "all of them" ??

Likely would not have ordered any of the 5 additional items above the minimum 2LT coupe/manual/painted roof I knew I wanted.
But they were there, and the cumulative cost not a dealbreaker on the bottom line.

Of the 5, I would have ordered polished instead of machine face wheels.

Last edited by aj98; 02-12-2015 at 05:06 PM.
Old 02-12-2015, 05:03 PM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

I am still surprised at the negative comments about the navigation system. I am currently on a company trip and have a rental car without navigation. Using my iPad and hate it, really unsafe (slides all over the place and really no way to actually view it). My navigation system on the C7 is easily viewed and turn information comes up on the HUD. I usually have navigation displayed all the time, even if not currently operating on an entered route. Love it!
Old 02-12-2015, 05:07 PM
BigJoe
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 64 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by mpuzach
Neither of the two top options is the same price as just getting the transparent top.
  • Transparent top only (no painted top): $995
  • Transparent top + painted top: $1995
  • Transparent top plus unpainted carbon fiber top: $2995
The exposed CF top was $1995 (which is what I have)
The transparent top plus the painted CF top was $1995. (which is what I would have preferred)
This was 2014 prices I think they are the same for 2015.

Last edited by BigJoe; 02-12-2015 at 05:10 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To About Those Options

Old 02-12-2015, 05:10 PM
aj98
Melting Slicks

Received 168 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry/car
I am still surprised at the negative comments about the navigation system. ....My navigation system on the C7 is easily viewed and turn information comes up on the HUD....Love it!
The reason I accepted the NAV is as much as I like my TomTom, I also know how much windshield it takes up.

Probably the least favorite non-ordered option until I learned how to use it....
Old 02-12-2015, 05:47 PM
boxster99t
Burning Brakes

Received 248 Likes on 178 Posts

I am still surprised at the negative comments about the navigation system. I am currently on a company trip and have a rental car without navigation. Using my iPad and hate it, really unsafe (slides all over the place and really no way to actually view it). My navigation system on the C7 is easily viewed and turn information comes up on the HUD. I usually have navigation displayed all the time, even if not currently operating on an entered route. Love it!
I actually prefer my iPhone 6 plus-voice command works better and I don't have to buy map updates. As for securing it, I use my old garmin's bean bag mount. I bought what looks like a big paper clip that fits garmin's mounts (on Amazon). Jaws open and holds the iPhone perfectly Won't work for your iPad but is what I use in rental cars/my other vehicles none of which have factory Nav. There are lots of tablet mounts BTW for your rental car problem.
Old 02-12-2015, 05:53 PM
C7-Beast
Safety Car

Received 331 Likes on 201 Posts

It really depends on your expectations. There is nothing wrong with the factory NAV for 90% of the Corvette buying public.

The 10% that don't like any factory NAV are often technology people (like myself) who demand the latest technology. The limitation of the factory systems is they generally are not using the latest technology. There is no reason why the maps in a factory NAV shouldn't be updated for free. They could do it over the OnStar 4G connection (really AT&T) or do it via a download that you can put on an SD card. Typically car manufactures want between 150-300 to update the maps in most cars. With as often as new roads are built, you probably need updates once every year. That gets costly. Also, Adding NAV to a car should not be a 700 option. The best stand alone NAVS are much cheaper.

I use Google Maps on my smartphone instead. It is always kept updated and provides great traffic and re routing suggestions. Yes, it is a 6" screen vs 8 (or whatever the vette screen is) but I typically put my route in and check the route before leaving. I then connect it via Bluetooth and listen to the turn by turn. It even mutes the streaming songs when it gives a voice command. I have it mounted in an easily view able position but typically don't even look at it. I also like it as I take it from car to car and it's the same NAV.

Again, most people will find the Factory NAV all they need. I want more

Last edited by C7-Beast; 02-12-2015 at 06:08 PM.

Quick Reply: About Those Options