Sponsored by:

Can a C7 computer be hacked?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2015, 08:41 AM
Dracla
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Can a C7 computer be hacked?

I saw 60 Minutes last night. Just wondering what experience anyone has had with the C7. Can the computer be hacked while it is moving?

Can it be hacked while parked?

If it is opened by someone while parked, can they start it and drive it?
Old 02-09-2015, 08:48 AM
Kyflyer
Burning Brakes

Received 81 Likes on 66 Posts

The simple answer is yes. Any computer is that is connected is susceptible to hacking. There is a current AP article floating around the internet about it.
Old 02-09-2015, 08:49 AM
Ernest_T
Drifting

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

I'm pretty sure there isn't a computer that can't be hacked given a person with the right skills and budget. It don't think it would be worth if to develop the capability unless the Corvette shares computer components with other Chevy vehicles. Since most of those systems aren't made by GM that's a good possibility. It might even share technology with other brands.
Old 02-09-2015, 08:57 AM
Dracla
Racer

So has anyone had their C7 stolen by a hacker? I'd suspect this is VERY rare if it has happened at all.
Old 02-09-2015, 09:00 AM
aj98
Melting Slicks

Received 168 Likes on 137 Posts

IIRC, it has been done in a lab on other cars as proof of concept.

Probably easier to break your onstar/mylink account.

As far as starting and driving away, if your keyfob is within range, it can be started, but as soon as you are out of range (something like 198 ft.) , the car is supposed to shut off.

local dealer has a problem with that...had a car outside...one morning found someone sitting in that car listening to the radio.

Shortly thererafter, fobs were put in a shielded box and relocated farther way from the showroom.
Old 02-09-2015, 09:06 AM
Dracla
Racer

Originally Posted by aj98
IIRC, it has been done in a lab on other cars as proof of concept.

Probably easier to break your onstar/mylink account.

As far as starting and driving away, if your keyfob is within range, it can be started, but as soon as you are out of range (something like 198 ft.) , the car is supposed to shut off.

local dealer has a problem with that...had a car outside...one morning found someone sitting in that car listening to the radio.

Shortly thererafter, fobs were put in a shielded box and relocated farther way from the showroom.
I know it will only start if the FOB is very near (3 feet?). But if you leave it running and get out (gas station?), someone else can get in and drive it many miles until it is turned off. Then it won't start again. This is what I was told when I got my C6. Is there a change for the C7?
Old 02-09-2015, 09:41 AM
alienranch
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 112 Likes on 69 Posts

Any computer can be hacked. That being said, I haven't heard of any issues specifically with the C7.
Old 02-09-2015, 09:47 AM
Ernest_T
Drifting

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Here's the AP article.

WASHINGTON (AP) — Automakers are cramming cars with wireless technology, but they have failed to adequately protect those features against the real possibility that hackers could take control of vehicles or steal personal data, according to an analysis of information that manufacturers provided to a senator.

Sen. Edward Markey, D-Mass., asked automakers a series of questions about the technologies and any safeguards against hackers built into their vehicles. He also asked about how the information that vehicle computers gather and often transmit wirelessly is protected.

Markey posed his questions after researchers showed how hackers can get into the controls of some popular cars and SUVs, causing them suddenly to accelerate, turn, sound the horn, turn headlights off or on and modify speedometer and gas-gauge readings.

The responses from 16 manufacturers "reveal there is a clear lack of appropriate security measures to protect drivers against hackers who may be able to take control of a vehicle or against those who may wish to collect and use personal driver information," a report by Markey's staff concludes.

Today's cars and light trucks typically contain more than 50 electronic control units — effectively small computers — that are part of a network in the car. At the same time, nearly all new cars on the market today include at least some wireless entry points to these computers, such as tire pressure monitoring systems, Bluetooth, Internet access, keyless entry, remote start, navigation systems, WiFi, anti-theft systems and cellular-telematics, the report said. Only three automakers said they still have some models without wireless entry, but those models are a small and declining share of their fleets.

"Drivers have come to rely on these new technologies, but unfortunately the automakers haven't done their part to protect us from cyberattacks or privacy invasions," Markey said in a statement.

Among the report's findings:

— Most manufacturers said they were unaware of or unable to report on past hacking incidents. Three automakers declined to answer the question. One automaker described an app designed by an outside company and released for Android devices that could access a vehicle's computer network through the Bluetooth connection. A security analysis didn't indicate any ability to introduce malicious code or steal data, but the automaker had the app removed from the Google Play store as a precautionary measure.

— Each manufacturer is handling the introduction of new technology in very different ways, and for the most part these actions are insufficient to ensure security. Hackers can get around most security protections cited by manufacturers, according to the security experts Markey consulted.

— Only one manufacturer appeared able to detect a hacking attempt while it was happening and only two described credible means of responding to such intrusions in real time. Information from most automakers indicated they wouldn't know about a hacking attempt unless data from the vehicle's computers was downloaded by a dealer or at a service center.

Most new cars are also capable of collecting large amounts of data on a vehicle's driving history through an array of pre-installed technologies, including navigation systems, telematics, infotainment, emergency assistance systems and remote disabling devices that allow car dealers to track and disable vehicles whose drivers don't keep up with their payments or that are reported stolen, the report said.

Half the manufacturers said they wirelessly transfer information on driving history from vehicles to another location, often using third-party companies, and most don't describe "an effective means to secure the data," the report said.

Manufacturers are also using personal vehicle data in various and often vague ways to "improve the customer experience," the report said. Policies on how long they store drivers' information vary considerably. Customers often are not made aware explicitly of the data collection and, when they are, they frequently cannot opt out without disabling valuable features like navigation.

Last November, 19 automakers accounting for most of the passenger cars and light trucks sold in the U.S. agreed on a set of principles to protect motorists' privacy. The voluntary agreement was aimed in part at heading off possible legislation. Markey has said voluntary efforts don't go far enough.

The auto industry is also in the early stages of establishing a voluntary information sharing and analysis center or other comparable program about existing or potential cyber-related threats. "But even as we explore ways to advance this type of industrywide effort, our members already are each taking on their own aggressive efforts to ensure that we are advancing safety," the Alliance of Automobile Manufacturers said in a statement.

The Society of Automotive Engineers also has established a security committee that is evaluating the vulnerability of cars to hacking and is drafting "standards and best practices to help ensure electronic control system safety," the alliance said.

The Association of Global Automakers, another trade association, said the responses provided to Markey are many months old and don't reflect extensive discussions between the industry and federal technology experts aimed at improving the industry's understanding of cyber threats.

The manufacturers who replied to Markey are BMW, Chrysler, Ford, General Motors, Honda, Hyundai, Jaguar Land Rover, Mazda, Mercedes-Benz, Mitsubishi, Nissan, Porsche, Subaru, Toyota, Volkswagen-Audi and Volvo. Three other automakers — Aston Martin, Lamborghini and Tesla — didn't reply to his request for information.
Old 02-09-2015, 09:58 AM
BOBSZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 319 Likes on 205 Posts

Don't leave something in your car that you don't want stolen. Hackers can open your car and take anything.
Old 02-09-2015, 11:22 AM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,402 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

OMG!

I got in my car this morning and was told (on the InfoTainment screen) that I am inheriting 100 million dollars and all I have to do is send $500 to a lawyer in Nigeria in order to claim it!

Man, these C7s can do anything!
Old 02-09-2015, 11:29 AM
AFVETTE
Team Owner

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

I was detailing my car yesterday and after starting it to pull it into the garage, the center screen announced my wife's cell phone battery was low.

Hell her phone was in her purse on the kitchen island. Impressive.

Tom
Old 02-09-2015, 12:48 PM
thrilled
Safety Car

Received 618 Likes on 455 Posts

On 60 minutes I believe they said any car can be hacked.Then I believe they said that they
were developing A system to keep it from happening.So as of this minute I wouldn't keep
Valuables in it.And cross your fingers that they develop A fix for this sooner than later.
I would hate to see my C7 in Dubai.
Old 02-09-2015, 07:22 PM
grandpawmoses
Race Director

Received 95 Likes on 41 Posts

Some friends and I had this discussion earlier this year when Chevy announced that some of it's autos would have built in WiFi. A car could be hacked through Bluetooth or OnStar but it would only result in unlocking doors, turning off alarms, obtaining personal info, & such. Hacking the WiFi could allow for remote control over most any core function controlled by the computer.
Old 02-09-2015, 07:46 PM
W88fixer
Melting Slicks

Received 72 Likes on 43 Posts

Maybe I am mistaken, I am NOT a computer guru. What I saw on NBC tonight suggested that to be effective, you’d need to have a smart phone/Blackberry linked to your car, that if you didn’t it would be harder for the hacker.

As I said, I’m no expert and wouldn’t bet you dinner that I’m right. Hope I am.

If cars such as the C7 are in fact vulnerable to economically realistic hacking, hopefully the manufacturers will patch the systems with security enhancements??? Don

Last edited by W88fixer; 02-09-2015 at 08:32 PM.
Old 02-09-2015, 11:06 PM
Yellow68conv
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by grandpawmoses
Some friends and I had this discussion earlier this year when Chevy announced that some of it's autos would have built in WiFi. A car could be hacked through Bluetooth or OnStar but it would only result in unlocking doors, turning off alarms, obtaining personal info, & such. Hacking the WiFi could allow for remote control over most any core function controlled by the computer.
The example came through OnStar and could disable the brakes on an Impala. Now where are the folks who imply people who want to disable OnStar are criminals?
Old 02-10-2015, 08:14 AM
SlayerRX8
Pro

Received 111 Likes on 49 Posts

I work with computers. Pretty much any connected computer can be hacked. Proper security makes it harder to do, of course. Think of it like a traditional lock on a door. Locks can be picked or defeated, but they make opening the door harder. That difficulty will make most people unable to open the door, and it may make a person with the ability to open it decide that it's too much of a hassle to deal with.

Is it likely that your car will be hacked/stolen/whatever? Nope. I wouldn't sweat it. The odds of your car being stolen this way are very low.

I do appreciate the media calling attention to this, though. It should not scare you as a consumer at this point, but it does serve as a wake up call to auto manufacturers. Basic security principles should help reduce vulnerabilities in the future, and prevent this method of stealing cars from catching on.

Get notified of new replies

To Can a C7 computer be hacked?

Quick Reply: Can a C7 computer be hacked?