Engine light

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2015, 08:20 PM
bibinoudefloride
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 19 Posts

Default Engine light

Dear All,

First of all let me start by saying i love my car ! But i have some issue with it .
2 to be exact.

The first one is my Engine light goes on every time my tank get to almost 1/2 tank ? Why ? I already took it to the dealer, i'll have to return has i was told it was a gasoline issue . I only use 93 octane since new, only drove 2922 miles so fat since April 2014.

The second issue is the squeaky breaks !!! It is really annoying, i was told that is because it is a sport car .
Well i drive also at work a 911 a CLS Gullwing and no SQUEAK !!
I know the price is way different, but still why should i feel like everyone is looking at my car when i pull up to a red light !

but even with these problems i still love driving and being in the car , the finish is great !! better than Porsche , i just wish i didn't have a RED light on my dashboard and noisy break pads.....

My Best,
Attached Images  
Old 01-19-2015, 08:31 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,191 Likes on 2,681 Posts

I'm no expert, but I doubt that CEL is caused by bad gas. You live in an area where there are many good dealers. Find another one. Finding out exactly what code(s) would be helpful, too.

A few stiff stops should clear up the squeaky brakes.
Old 01-20-2015, 01:36 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,646 Likes on 6,645 Posts

Originally Posted by owc6
I'm no expert, but I doubt that CEL is caused by bad gas. You live in an area where there are many good dealers. Find another one. Finding out exactly what code(s) would be helpful, too.

On both counts.
Get a dealer who will take the time to fix it! As you said it should be tripping a code, which one!
I had to bed in my brakes to solve the squeal issue when I got the car. 4 or 5 hard stops from ~60 to ~15 mph then let them cool by driving 15 minutes. Best not to stop until they are cool. Just need to find the spot to do it. After that was done no squeal at all for over a year.
Just switched my brake pads to Carbotech 1521’s to solve the Z51 excess dust problem. Bedded those per the Carbotech recommendations. Not one squeal and very little dust. I believe they actually stop better on the first stop when cold. Feel great, very linear modulation.
Old 01-20-2015, 09:33 PM
bibinoudefloride
Instructor

Originally Posted by owc6

Thank you, i actually got the code from the dealer, it is in the car in the glove box....
I'l put them up tomorrow1

Thanks for the advice!!!
Old 01-20-2015, 09:41 PM
bibinoudefloride
Instructor

Originally Posted by JerryU
On both counts.
Get a dealer who will take the time to fix it! As you said it should be tripping a code, which one!
I had to bed in my brakes to solve the squeal issue when I got the car. 4 or 5 hard stops from ~60 to ~15 mph then let them cool by driving 15 minutes. Best not to stop until they are cool. Just need to find the spot to do it. After that was done no squeal at all for over a year.
Just switched my brake pads to Carbotech 1521’s to solve the Z51 excess dust problem. Bedded those per the Carbotech recommendations. Not one squeal and very little dust. I believe they actually stop better on the first stop when cold. Feel great, very linear modulation.
I actually don't have an issue with my dealer they have been very nice and helpful, i was just mentioning the product standard from GM was not so perfect ! I pick up the car from the Museum delivery so it is not a dealer issue but more a GM chrevrolet issue to me , the car has been squeaking since day one but has you can see i barely drive it..
Has far has the dealer i'm with Chriswell and my sale person was no there than famous Mke Furman , so for the experience i got iwas more than amaze..Never got treated so well in dealer in my life !!
They told me to run the car with a clean tank of gasoline to see if the light will pop up again ! and it did, so once the snow clear i'll go to the dealer again and hopefully get it fixed or else they can take my lemon

Thank you all for the advice !!!
Old 01-21-2015, 08:51 PM
bibinoudefloride
Instructor

Here are the codes found by Criswell, P0171 and P0174
For now the car is seating in the garage but when the weather permit i'll return to dealer for further investigate this engine light !!

CODES
Old 01-21-2015, 09:41 PM
Jakeross
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I talked to a Cadillac owner last night. He found that using gas with E85 will cause this problem.
Old 01-21-2015, 09:46 PM
slesher
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Great advice from Jerry.

FYI there is a TSB for the squeaky brake issue and they will replace them under warranty.

Just had mine replaced and the squeak gremlins are gone
Old 01-21-2015, 10:30 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,646 Likes on 6,645 Posts

Originally Posted by Jakeross
I talked to a Cadillac owner last night. He found that using gas with E85 will cause this problem.
Using E85 will cause many more problems!!
Saw an interesting comment about who uses E85 since many cars cannot use it, like the Vette. Folks filling up a rental car when they bring it back!

Last edited by JerryU; 01-22-2015 at 08:10 AM.
Old 01-22-2015, 08:28 AM
bilzvette
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Default not good news

I had a somewhat similar problem, the diagnosis was the pickup, fuel sender units had to be replaced, same problem with my C-5. This is not a pretty picture, to get to the sending units they have to drop the gas tanks, which requires dropping the entire rear drive line for access, took over a week.
Good luck,
bill
Old 01-22-2015, 09:25 PM
bibinoudefloride
Instructor

Originally Posted by slesher
Great advice from Jerry.

FYI there is a TSB for the squeaky brake issue and they will replace them under warranty.

Just had mine replaced and the squeak gremlins are gone
Thank you for the update , i'll tell them.
Old 01-22-2015, 09:29 PM
bibinoudefloride
Instructor

Originally Posted by Jakeross
i only buy 93 , they told me to got to SHELL station , i didn't think that the company matter, exxon,chevron etc.....

i'll keep you posted on my trip to the dealer in the near future...
Old 01-22-2015, 11:18 PM
bobbykart
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 38 Posts

Default Squeaky

Mine squeaked in the beginning, then it just stopped
Old 01-22-2015, 11:55 PM
Rand1993
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I had a bmw that did the same engine light issue. Apparently cars sold in US are required to have a system to check for integrity of the gas tank seals. When the car is started, an air pump pressurizes the tank. If the tank doesnt hold pressure the engine light comes on. The problem can be caused by:
1. Bad/weak pressurization pump
2. Faulty pressure sensor/sending unit
3. Actual leak
4. Bad gas cap seal

I would spend a few bucks on a gas cap before letting a dealer take my car apart.
Old 01-23-2015, 06:50 PM
bibinoudefloride
Instructor

Originally Posted by Rand1993
I had a bmw that did the same engine light issue. Apparently cars sold in US are required to have a system to check for integrity of the gas tank seals. When the car is started, an air pump pressurizes the tank. If the tank doesnt hold pressure the engine light comes on. The problem can be caused by:
1. Bad/weak pressurization pump
2. Faulty pressure sensor/sending unit
3. Actual leak
4. Bad gas cap seal

I would spend a few bucks on a gas cap before letting a dealer take my car apart.
Thanks but the C7 doesn't really have a gas cap, it is just a hole with a latch in front, you juste stick the nozzle inside and pump the gas.
The light is off today i just refilled the tank last night, but has soon has i'll get to 1/2 tank the light will come back on.....Anyway let's hope i'm wrong and i don't need to take it back to the dealer for that
m

No gas cap !
Old 01-23-2015, 07:07 PM
Rand1993
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

not sure what I was thinking. I know there's no gas cap. However, the opening where you put the gas in must have a seal and possibly that seal is bad.
Old 01-23-2015, 07:28 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,191 Likes on 2,681 Posts

not sure what I was thinking. I know there's no gas cap. However, the opening where you put the gas in must have a seal and possibly that seal is bad.
What is that called (the little hinged opening)? The gas flap?

Get notified of new replies

To Engine light

Old 01-27-2015, 10:41 AM
jedblanks
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Check the seal for small obstruction/dirt that might hold the "flappadoodle" slightly open enough to cause improper seal.
Old 02-10-2015, 08:01 PM
TDH
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got the P0174 today. Did the dealer diagnose your issue?
Old 02-10-2015, 08:18 PM
Gr8ful
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

mine squeal also. I just don't want the dealer touching my car. I have tried bedding them but no joy.

Quick Reply: Engine light