Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C7 Corvette arrives today in Torch Red w/damage

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2015, 05:30 AM
ArcticC7
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yup scrubbing from the cover for sure. Transport company is at fault. They didn't reattach the cover properly after loading the car when the driver got out.
Old 01-19-2015, 05:49 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,486 Likes on 1,948 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by OBSSSD
Post up the name of the dealer for all of us so we know never to buy a car there. It is allowed
Wasn't this the cable dahmer agency you were going to buy from? When you do post it up, the thread will go to transactions/disputes forum which is good. I just saw that this was shipped open carrier which is usually not a problem since the cars come from the factory in open carrier. But the dealer must have done a PDI on it and taken any factory protection off to do it--is that correct?

Last edited by AORoads; 01-19-2015 at 05:55 AM.
Old 01-19-2015, 05:51 AM
STALION
Le Mans Master

Location: ALL governments are legalized mobsters, so doesn't matter where I live :(
Received 184 Likes on 133 Posts

I could care less if the car was shipped from Mars I wouldn't have accepted it in that condition. I would have called the sales person or manager of the dealership on the spot and tell them make it right or the car can take another trip back to the factory.
Old 01-19-2015, 08:09 AM
mjw930
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Pardon me for stating the obvious but this is a classic example of why you should never ship a car open carrier with a non factory shipping cover. It should have been left uncovered or shipped enclosed carrier. The $500 saved not shipping enclosed will now cost someone thousands.

The bumper damage is another story all together. And for those saying refuse delivery, that's not an option. You owned the car before it was ever loaded on the truck. That's one of the perils of buying a car like this.
Old 01-19-2015, 08:25 AM
LIE2ME
Le Mans Master

Received 4,583 Likes on 1,647 Posts

I am really sorry about the damage to your car. I also had a C7 shipped to me that arrived with damage. In this case, it was a small stress crack in the driver's door. The dealer in this case called me before the car was loaded, said that he was not aware of the crack before the driver pointed it out, and offered to repair the car (which would have delayed delivery by a week or two). I opted instead for a signed letter from the owner of the store indicating the damage was there before the car was transported to me and had the car repaired by my local dealer when it arrived. Fortunately, there are still a few dealers like this one around.

I hope this all works out to your satisfaction...
Old 01-19-2015, 08:36 AM
Black 03 Z06
Le Mans Master

Received 540 Likes on 390 Posts

Hope this all works out to your satisfaction. Tough to spend all that money and have great expectations on delivery only to be thrown a curve ball.

I have a feeling you will get this worked to your satisfaction. You have done every thing right in my opinion.
Old 01-19-2015, 09:02 AM
Woodson
Le Mans Master

Received 1,367 Likes on 791 Posts

Old 01-19-2015, 09:33 AM
alienranch
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 112 Likes on 69 Posts

I definitely feel for you - my car is coming via transport arriving today or tomorrow (1,500 miles). This is obviously not your fault, but a good example of why it's best to choose an enclosed transport carrier. I know they cost a few hundred dollars more, but this is exactly one of the issues described that occasionally happens in open transport. Also, the ramps on enclosed trailers are usually longer and allow for a lower car to be loaded/unloaded without rubbing.

This should be an easy fix, but is a pain nonetheless. Beautiful car BTW.
Old 01-19-2015, 09:46 AM
1SG_Ret
Melting Slicks

Received 478 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by nmvettec7

Only pro I looked at the Bill of Lading and the driver told me, that the dealer loaded the C7 with a damaged lower front bumper, scraped and scratched. The dealer salesperson, even signed the Bill of Lading and described the damage on the BOL. He told the driver that if the customer doesn't see the damage, no loss. "Don't tell the buyer when it's delivered". If he sees the damage, then we will send him a check. This was unbelievable thinking that the dealer I bought the car from and the salesperson, would let a new 2015 Corvette that had some scrapes and scratches be loaded unto a transport and NOT tell the buyer. Both myself and the driver could not believe the dealer would sign the BOL and mark the damage and let it go out with just 27 miles on the car.
That SOB should be fired.
Old 01-19-2015, 11:22 AM
thrilled
Safety Car

Received 621 Likes on 456 Posts

I'm not only surprised about the damage but also the 27 miles on it.I wouldn't doubt the manager took it for A spin and that's how it got that way.I've been hearing most new C7's
Arrive from Bowling Green with 4-11 miles on them.Mine had 5 on it.
Old 01-19-2015, 11:26 AM
pcguy2u
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 107 Likes on 77 Posts

Old 01-19-2015, 11:30 AM
nmvettec7
Safety Car

Received 850 Likes on 493 Posts

Ok a couple of points made above in the posts.

The C7 was a dealer to dealer purchase. Meaning that the dealer who I placed an order with to build the car, told me they had allocations, that there were no contraints on what I ordered, the car would be built and arrive at the dealershiop from Bowling Green in 6 to 8 weeks. After 4 weeks, I called the dealer to find out my allocation went to another customer, and I would have to wait for another allocation. The dealer found this car at another Chevy dealer 250 miles away in NE. My dealer bought the car from the dealership 250 miles away in NE, and had a staff member go get the car and deliver to my dealer. The car was transported not driven. When the car was delivered to NM it had 27 miles on it.

The car cover that GM puts on the car at Bowling Green was put on the car by my dealer in MO. The transport company did not touch the car, did not put the cover on the car. The transport company simply loaded it on the trailer. The car was was never removed from the trailer during transport for 900 miles from MO to NM. The cover was not put on the car properly by the salesperson when is was loaded and subsequently ripped apart while in transit. The driver gave me what was left of the GM OEM transport cover which was not very much.

I see no fault of the transport in any way. My major complaint is that the dealership salesperson knew that there was damage to the lower front bumper, and never informed me of the damage, had the car covered, loaded on the transport and told the driver, that if he customer sees the damage the dealership will send a check. If the customer doesn't see the damage then no harm. As mentioned above the salesperson signed the Bill of Lading, acknowledged the damage to the lower bumper area, and released the car, in the hopes I would not inspect the car upon delivery and not look at the paperwork.

Now, from another poster on this thread, I have found out that the passenger side A pillar cover is replaceable. That's good news. I am not sure if the scratches on the body colored roof can be buffed out. I also found out from posts last night that a replacement roof is $5000 for a genuine GM OEM CF painted roof. The roof may have to be sanded and repainted.

I have contacted the owner of the dealership, and the new car manager via email, copies of the BOL and photos of the damage.

I did suggest that since the salesperson provided inaccurate information on the original order for the C7 I wanted to be built, lied to me about allocations, put the car on the transport with damage and did not inform the customer, that he be dismissed or fired. This salesperson is not a good image for the dealership. I informed the owner that "if I was the owner of this dealership, this salesperson would not be working for me".

Now I have to wait today to see what the dealership will do to correct the problems. I am sure they will work with me.

As far as open transport of vehicles, all new cars are shipped via open transport. It's the high end cars, and collector cars that many owners will insist on enclosed transport. I have bought many premuim cars from Jaguar to Porsche that have been shipped open transport without any problems.

In this case, I totally cast blame on the salesperson who mislead me and jerked me around on a new build, and loaded a car with damage, not informing management, and mostly....not informing the customer.

Automobile sales people are a dime a dozen, and only the good honest sincere sales people survive in this industry. So the dealership can do what they want with him. My concern at this point is what will the dealership do for me. Subsequently, I could not recommend this dealership to any other potential Corvette owner or potential customer.

Due to forum rules and policy I will not devulge the dealership at this time. Am I pissed?, yes, you bet. I will give the dealership the benefit to resolve this issue and retain any integrity that they have.

I do think that other forum members may learn from reading these posts and hopefully avoid what I have gone through. There will not be any positive remarks left for this dealer via GM surveys that are normally requested so that the selling dealership gets additonal incentives and bonuses for the sale, which every dealership gets with an "excellent" rating on the GM after sale survey.
Old 01-19-2015, 11:37 AM
beepster
Melting Slicks

Received 50 Likes on 30 Posts

Old 01-19-2015, 11:38 AM
11B250
Melting Slicks

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

I believe GM looks very closely at those surveys. WHen I bought my Volt, they went head over heels for me so I gave them a positive survey score. And I did because they really went the extra mile (car had a small dent by the hood, and paint was chipping etc. they also tinted my car. They took care of everything, and even fixed a nail in the tire that I got on my way home from the dealer the 1st day)
Old 01-19-2015, 11:57 AM
0RoadRunnerAutoTransport
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry to hear about your issues and hope you get everything worked out! We only ship Corvettes enclosed transport (unless our customer adamantly wants open transport) to protect the condition of the vehicle. In this situation however it doesn't sound like the fault is on the transport company. Good luck!

Last edited by RoadRunnerAutoTransport; 01-19-2015 at 11:59 AM.
Old 01-19-2015, 12:06 PM
Greg00Coupe
Race Director

Received 2,000 Likes on 1,150 Posts

OP I don't know the dealer but bet that they will stand up and do the right thing. Based on a couple of posts here of folks who have had dealing with them give them an opportunity to make it right.

On your side remind them that you accepted the car with the idea of giving them an opportunity to work with you.

Somewhere somehow the car got damaged. Its a fact of life. Somebody will step up and fix it.

All the people posting on here that no way would I accept this or that.........the car should be perfect........have no idea the history of the perfect car they took delivery of.

Go on a plant tour and note the cars being repaired. Talk to any dealer and hear the repairs they need to make on cars delivered to them. Car may look perfect on the showroom floor but who knows if it has had blemishes repaired already?

Your car will get fixed and you will love it. Hang in there
Old 01-19-2015, 01:27 PM
nmvettec7
Safety Car

Received 850 Likes on 493 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg00Coupe
OP I don't know the dealer but bet that they will stand up and do the right thing. Based on a couple of posts here of folks who have had dealing with them give them an opportunity to make it right.

On your side remind them that you accepted the car with the idea of giving them an opportunity to work with you.

Somewhere somehow the car got damaged. Its a fact of life. Somebody will step up and fix it.

All the people posting on here that no way would I accept this or that.........the car should be perfect........have no idea the history of the perfect car they took delivery of.

Go on a plant tour and note the cars being repaired. Talk to any dealer and hear the repairs they need to make on cars delivered to them. Car may look perfect on the showroom floor but who knows if it has had blemishes repaired already?

Your car will get fixed and you will love it. Hang in there
I agree. I am giving the dealership the opportunity to make it right and show their integrity as a quality automobile dealership. Let's see what happens. That's another reason I don't want to provide the name, however some posters have already figured that out. Some can speculate.

Get notified of new replies

To C7 Corvette arrives today in Torch Red w/damage

Old 01-19-2015, 02:54 PM
rickm2@tampabay.rr.c
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Damage

You should buy from your local dealer. You probably got a better price 900 miles away but price isn't always the best deal!
Old 01-19-2015, 03:19 PM
Thehack2002
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nmvettec7

As far as open transport of vehicles, all new cars are shipped via open transport. It's the high end cars, and collector cars that many owners will insist on enclosed transport. I have bought many premuim cars from Jaguar to Porsche that have been shipped open transport without any problems.
Look for a Lexus carrier next time you're cruising the highway, they ship all their new cars in an enclosed transport.
Old 01-19-2015, 03:22 PM
FlashofRed
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rickm2@tampabay.rr.c
You should buy from your local dealer. You probably got a better price 900 miles away but price isn't always the best deal!

Quick Reply: C7 Corvette arrives today in Torch Red w/damage