Sponsored by:

XPEL vs. 3M Protection Film

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2015, 05:04 PM
magredrod
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by KenHorse
If you didn't have your quarters and rockers done as well, they're going to get beat to Hell by road rash....
Absolutely +1
Old 01-17-2015, 05:35 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,402 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

Originally Posted by florida boater
I read in another Forum Post that someone said that Side Skirts helped prevent that problem and that the film was only partially effective. Does anyone else have actual experience with that? I Factory ordered the moulded wheel flaps when I ordered the car in anticipation of the problem. Car is due mid-march so I have no experience yet.
The reports I've seen do indicate the side skirts eliminate most, in not all, road rash to the rockers. I don't know what you mean by molded wheel flaps however be advised the so-called "GM Splash Guards" do little or nothing to prevent it
Old 01-17-2015, 05:48 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,485 Likes on 1,947 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

In the past, APSIS (a vendor) has produced splash guards that are larger than stock units (from GM as after-purchase options). I saw these on their site, and they do look large enough to help---how much hey will help I don't know but it could do the job. But they look stylish and appropriate to me on the car.

http://apsisusa.com/-%20-%20C7%20Cor...dex%20Page.htm
Old 01-17-2015, 06:17 PM
Woodson
Le Mans Master

Received 1,366 Likes on 790 Posts

I read in another Forum Post that someone said that Side Skirts helped prevent that problem and that the film was only partially effective. Does anyone else have actual experience with that? I Factory ordered the moulded wheel flaps when I ordered the car in anticipation of the problem. Car is due mid-march so I have no experience yet.
I did all 3; 3M pro, splash guards, and side skirts. Looks great and no rash. Mine is winter driven.
Old 01-17-2015, 10:21 PM
tomarsyd
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

The guy up here in Jacksonville charges a fair rate. I don't know how much a Vette would be but he commented to me about the fact that he knows the guys doing Xpel in south florida charge a lot just because they can. He did the front of our pearl white Highlander. Great job.

Might be worth a day trip up here to get it done.
http://clearbraofjax.com/
Old 01-17-2015, 10:35 PM
beekeeper
Instructor

Received 75 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Keith N
I'm going to have a clear bra installed on the entire front/mirrors/lights/rockers of my C7 Coupe when it gets delivered. I've had Suntek on my C6 Z06 and Ventureshield on my C6. Has anybody had the newer 3M Pro (del healing) installed? Any feedback on the film?
Had the full front, fenders, door jams, lower doors, rear quarters, lights done for $1,600. The hood will get done in spring, for another $400, as the 3M Pro was pretty new when I had it done and my dealer didn't have the wide roll yet to do it in one piece. Only 800 miles before it was put away for winter. The dealer I use has done work for me before and said he will replace any piece I'm not totally happy with no questions.
Old 01-18-2015, 02:12 AM
5thGear
Drifting

Received 199 Likes on 124 Posts

I just had mine done with xpel ultimate. $1900 which covered the whole front all the way back to the mirrors (hood, fenders, bumper, head lights,.....) The installer did a great job. I was surprised to see at his shop 3 new McLaren P1, two New Lamborghini and Ferrari LA Ferrari. I was very impressed with his work. I later learned that installed a clear bra on Jay Leno P1.

Old 01-18-2015, 01:15 PM
Surly
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I haven't took delivery of my C7, but was quoted $1500 for Suntek installed on complete front clip and windows tinted. Suntek installer in Midwest.
Old 01-18-2015, 03:16 PM
florida boater
Advanced

Originally Posted by Surly
I haven't took delivery of my C7, but was quoted $1500 for Suntek installed on complete front clip and windows tinted. Suntek installer in Midwest.
Thank you to everyone for all your input. What a great forum. When I was asking for the quote on the ExPel Ultimate. it was for the full front, full hood and mirrors. The quote was $ 2000. One of the questions wanted every edge wrapped. I said yes, but is that how most everyone else has had it done? Would interested in knowing. It sounded like it was an extra cost item.

The rocker panels were an additional $ 325, but I do not know if that included the rear fender area behind the rear wheels.
Old 01-18-2015, 03:22 PM
Woodson
Le Mans Master

Received 1,366 Likes on 790 Posts

Wrapping edges is a must IMO.
Old 01-19-2015, 08:50 AM
BAblackvette
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Check out auto paint guard in Tampa. I just had mine done there, worth the drive.
Old 01-19-2015, 10:25 AM
florida boater
Advanced

Originally Posted by BAblackvette
Check out auto paint guard in Tampa. I just had mine done there, worth the drive.
Thank you for the heads up. I just emailed them for a quote. How much did you have wrapped and did you get Expel?
Old 01-19-2015, 05:12 PM
rramjet
Pro

Received 66 Likes on 47 Posts

Got a quote for Suntek here in AZ and it was $1000 for front fenders, mirrors, front of rear wheel well and side of rear. Think another $200 for full rockers. The installer said they prefer Suntek because it's eaiser to work with. Expel rep says that's because it's thinner. Also said Suntek would yellow.

Have not had an Expel quote but seems it's usually more expensive. Gotta pay for all the advertising.
Old 01-19-2015, 10:49 PM
Texas_Venom
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just remember it is not possible to wrap EVERY edge on the C7. There are areas film cannot be wrapped into without removing the panels. I am just pointing this out because you are new to the product.
Old 04-21-2017, 01:26 PM
Rob O'Guin
3rd Gear

Default Buyer beware.

Hi everyone,

I just ordered my new Black 2LT Coupe. I have been reading about many members using a protective film. I live in Punta Gorda Florida, retired and this will be the car I drive everyday, putting on about 8,000 miles per year. I wanted to research it before I got the car in the latter part of March.

Does anyone have a recommendation for XPEL or 3M. Is one better than the other? Are there any other considerations?

I got a quote from a local shop for XPEL for the Full Front up to the doors for $ 2,000 and the Rocker Panels $ 325. Does this sould like a fair price? If anyone lives in the region from Naples to Sarasota, I would be interested in any shops locally you would recommend. Thanks for your help!

Barry
The "paint protection" isn't what you think! If a rock or debris get through the film and damage your paint you are SOL! Call Jesse at Xpel and he'll tell you!

Quick Reply: XPEL vs. 3M Protection Film