Sponsored by:

PDR Causes Dead Battery

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2015, 03:50 PM
sahlbom
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default PDR Causes Dead Battery

Several times I have had a discharged battery in the morning (less than 2.7 volts). It appears that having the PDR still recording when the engine is turned off, occasionally results in the car's electronics not shutting down correctly. The PDR continues to record until the SD card is filled up. Normally the PDR recording stops about one minute after the ignition is turned off. But not always....

I saw this reported toward the end of another long post related to a dead battery problem. Any idea if GM is aware of this and working on a fix?

I had started using the PDR routinely for DD after several close calls in city traffic. I guess I'll make a big flashing sign for the garage reminding me to turn off the PDR until a real fix is available.
Old 01-12-2015, 03:54 PM
pickleseimer
Drifting

Received 321 Likes on 212 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Originally Posted by sahlbom
I saw this reported toward the end of another long post related to a dead battery problem.
Interesting. Link?
Old 01-12-2015, 03:58 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 1,021 Likes on 527 Posts
Tech Contributor

Remember discharging a battery all away to the bottom is not good for the battery at all, you've taken a little bit of life out of it when this happens. Even if you recharge it. Just keep that in mind, long-term.
Old 01-12-2015, 04:02 PM
Woodson
Le Mans Master

Received 1,370 Likes on 793 Posts

I had started using the PDR routinely for DD after several close calls in city traffic. .
Several?
Old 01-12-2015, 04:17 PM
NSC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,100 Likes on 742 Posts

If the battery was truly discharged down to where it only indicates 2.7 volts it is time for the dealer to replace it. Even deep cycle battery is expected to sustain damage when drawn down to a 10% charge (around 11.35 volts for a nominal 12 volt battery). Even with a couple of cells shorted you should have a much higher reading. Hopefully this was an incorrect measurement but it sounds like GM owes you a new battery.

Shortly after I bought my 2008 CTS it had a low battery after sitting 3 days. I used a jump pack to start it and it was fine for a couple of weeks and then dead battery again. I once again used a jump pack and the next day I noticed the OnStar indicator lights stayed on-a sticking relay was the issue. The dealer replaced the relay and also replaced the battery even though it tested OK since it had been severely discharged by the fault.
Old 01-12-2015, 04:48 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,403 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

Originally Posted by NSC5
If the battery was truly discharged down to where it only indicates 2.7 volts it is time for the dealer to replace it. Even deep cycle battery is expected to sustain damage when drawn down to a 10% charge (around 11.35 volts for a nominal 12 volt battery). Even with a couple of cells shorted you should have a much higher reading. Hopefully this was an incorrect measurement but it sounds like GM owes you a new battery.
Beat me to it.

In addition, any of these "maintenance free" batteries are discharged "several times", throw 'em away as they're crap at that point.
Old 01-12-2015, 04:52 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,937 Likes on 4,816 Posts

Good advice.
Originally Posted by Glen e
Remember discharging a battery all away to the bottom is not good for the battery at all, you've taken a little bit of life out of it when this happens. Even if you recharge it. Just keep that in mind, long-term.
Old 01-12-2015, 05:37 PM
sahlbom
Advanced

Originally Posted by pickleseimer
Interesting. Link?
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1588176015
Old 01-12-2015, 05:49 PM
sahlbom
Advanced

Originally Posted by KenHorse
Beat me to it.

In addition, any of these "maintenance free" batteries are discharged "several times", throw 'em away as they're crap at that point.
I didn't intend this to be a thread on battery maintenance. I have 50 years of experience at that. Deeply discharged batteries can be ruined by jump starting the car and letting the alternator over charge the battery. Disconnecting the battery and putting it on a slow charge for 24 hours will greatly reduce the damage done.

The thread is about: are others having problems with the PDR recording function keeping the car's systems from shutting down when the engine is turned off?

If not, then maybe there is something wrong with just my car. Since I saw one other report of it on the forum, it may be a design issue, which my dealer won't be able to diagnose I suspect. The problem is somewhat repeatable (maybe 20% of the time, based upon 10 tries). It may be worse when the it's parked at night, but more testing is needed to verify that.
Old 01-12-2015, 07:26 PM
Crossed Flags Fan
Melting Slicks

Received 493 Likes on 276 Posts

Remember -never discharge your battery!
Old 01-12-2015, 08:00 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,403 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

I didn't intend this to be a thread on battery maintenance. I have 50 years of experience at that. Deeply discharged batteries can be ruined by jump starting the car and letting the alternator over charge the battery. Disconnecting the battery and putting it on a slow charge for 24 hours will greatly reduce the damage done.

The thread is about: are others having problems with the PDR recording function keeping the car's systems from shutting down when the engine is turned off?

If not, then maybe there is something wrong with just my car. Since I saw one other report of it on the forum, it may be a design issue, which my dealer won't be able to diagnose I suspect. The problem is somewhat repeatable (maybe 20% of the time, based upon 10 tries). It may be worse when the it's parked at night, but more testing is needed to verify that.
I think if you read more closely, you'll see that some opinions are a weak (or dying) battery could be as much at fault for your "dead battery" as anything else.

I would ask how you know the PDR is continuing to run? Have you actually watched the recording it makes and can point to it continuing to run for hours after shutdown?
Old 01-12-2015, 08:28 PM
bbrown450
Melting Slicks

Received 504 Likes on 348 Posts

something is not right can't say that I remember seeing tons of threads on this subject. Need to have it checked my man...and a new Battery
Old 01-12-2015, 10:01 PM
abrimberry
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

I use the PDR on every drive. It shuts off automatically after 1 minute when I stop the engine and exit the car. Please keep us updated. Thanks.
Old 01-13-2015, 12:02 AM
sahlbom
Advanced

Originally Posted by KenHorse
I think if you read more closely, you'll see that some opinions are a weak (or dying) battery could be as much at fault for your "dead battery" as anything else.

I would ask how you know the PDR is continuing to run? Have you actually watched the recording it makes and can point to it continuing to run for hours after shutdown?
Yes, when I find the battery is discharged, I can see that the PDR continued to record for hours until the SD card was full, when the car was turned off. If the car sits in the garage for 1-2 days in that state, that is when the battery is dead. There are no other accessories plugged in and I check the garage every night to make sure everything is off, including the cars lights, etc. All other electrical systems (lights, radio, nav, etc.) seem to shutdown correctly, except for this PDR problem.

I have noticed a couple of times that there was less time left on the SD card than I expected when I started to record, but didn't look into why that was. Today I noticed that the PDR recorded 30 minutes of a Wal-Mart parking lot while the car was off and I was shopping.

There have been no other signs of a weak or intermittent battery during the 10 weeks I've had the car. It has set parked for a week while I was away without any problem. I was away 2+weeks in November, but I connected the battery tender then.

If anyone else has had this problem, please let me know.

I'm a retired electronic engineer with experience on large (100KW+) UPS and PV off-grid inverter battery systems. Plus I've maintained my vehicles all of my life, including a 720 AH deep-cycle bank in our motorhome. I understand how to test automotive electrical systems and know that I "shouldn't discharge the battery"....
Old 01-13-2015, 01:29 AM
BIC
Pro

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

I don't know if the PDR records in Valet Mode with the car off. I'm sure you would know if you were in Valet Mode as your radio wouldn't work or hatch open. Possibly, the PDR thinks it's in Valet Mode as far as recording.
Old 01-13-2015, 09:28 AM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,837 Likes on 2,075 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

I do think I read another case on this forum about this same issue.

Elmer
Old 01-13-2015, 06:29 PM
sahlbom
Advanced

Originally Posted by BIC
I don't know if the PDR records in Valet Mode with the car off. I'm sure you would know if you were in Valet Mode as your radio wouldn't work or hatch open. Possibly, the PDR thinks it's in Valet Mode as far as recording.
Valet mode did not record with the car off, unless I'm missing a setting somewhere.

I did add a DC clamp multimeter to the battery's ground cable so I can monitor current draw. I've only run 3 tests with the PDR recording when the car was turned off and the PDR stopped after 1 minute, like it should.

I can see the current draw through the rear hatch. When the car is off and all lights turn off and the doors auto lock, the current draw is about 5.1 amps. It decreases in steps over about a 13 minute period to about 0.68 amps, then eventually settles to about 0.5 amps, until something wakes up the car again. I have Max/Min capturing set, so I can see if anything happens after it goes to sleep.

Hopefully the problem will reoccur soon.

Get notified of new replies

To PDR Causes Dead Battery

Old 01-14-2015, 10:02 AM
Chevy Cust Svc
Race Director

Received 687 Likes on 510 Posts

Hi sahlbom,

We would like to discuss this concern further with you. At your earliest convenience could you please PM us your VIN, mileage, contact info and involved dealer?

Thank you,

Marissa
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 01-14-2015, 11:12 AM
CETA 256
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 80 Likes on 50 Posts

This was our car that had the same problem. I check it everytime now before I shut the car off. Somewhat aggravating but we love the PDR system.
Old 01-14-2015, 11:28 AM
jrainlay
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Chevy Cust Svc
Hi sahlbom,

We would like to discuss this concern further with you. At your earliest convenience could you please PM us your VIN, mileage, contact info and involved dealer?

Thank you,

Marissa
Chevrolet Customer Care

Quick Reply: PDR Causes Dead Battery