Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2015, 10:17 PM
OVERULD
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 296 Likes on 214 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16

Default Build Sheet question

EDIT: Please Note the Original Date of This Thread. It was recently revived by another member. All of my questions below and in subsequent posts have been answered. Thanks. BJ

Original Thread Question:
I've seen a couple of threads where new owners taking delivery at the Museum bought the build sheet for their car. I've seen other threads where new owners posted photos of their car after being unloaded from the transport on the dealer's lot and you could clearly see a build sheet lying on the floor or in a seat. That was my experience when I ordered my 2008 Pontiac G8 GT. The build sheet was in the car when it arrived at the dealer and I have it today.

My question is whether that is true in the case of Corvettes, and more particularly - those ordered with the R8C option as mine is. I want to be sure that the build sheet is kept along with any other soft trim tags or broadcast sheets and the window sticker. I don't feel I should have to pay for a build sheet from the Museum after what I will have spent on the car and the Museum Delivery.

What has been the experience of those who have taken delivery at the Museum and those taking delivery from a dealer?

Thanks,
BJ

Last edited by OVERULD; 01-23-2017 at 05:32 PM.
Old 01-09-2015, 10:59 PM
pkadams
Racer

Received 50 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by OVERULD
I've seen a couple of threads where new owners taking delivery at the Museum bought the build sheet for their car. I've seen other threads where new owners posted photos of their car after being unloaded from the transport on the dealer's lot and you could clearly see a build sheet lying on the floor or in a seat. That was my experience when I ordered my 2008 Pontiac G8 GT. The build sheet was in the car when it arrived at the dealer and I have it today.

My question is whether that is true in the case of Corvettes, and more particularly - those ordered with the R8C option as mine is. I want to be sure that the build sheet is kept along with any other soft trim tags or broadcast sheets and the window sticker. I don't feel I should have to pay for a build sheet from the Museum after what I will have spent on the car and the Museum Delivery.

What has been the experience of those who have taken delivery at the Museum and those taking delivery from a dealer?

Thanks,
BJ
I have to admit it has been a while since I took Museum delivery (2003) but when I did take Museum delivery my R8C option included a laminated copy of the window sticker and a laminated copy of the build sheet.

When I took delivery of my C7 at the courtesy dealer two months ago the window sticker was on the window and the build sheets were in the glove compartment. I took them to Office Depot and had them laminated for a couple bucks.

Last edited by pkadams; 01-09-2015 at 11:00 PM. Reason: Fat fingers
Old 01-10-2015, 08:09 AM
ltfun
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had R8C last year they kept all the stuff in abag in the car window sticker was laminated even the transport cover as far as the build sheet im not sure where it is or was
Old 01-10-2015, 08:23 AM
Tom/99
Team Owner

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts

I had a museum delivery this past November. I did get the window sticker, the build sheets, all the plastic interior covers, and the car shipping cover. Nothing was laminated, it was in a large envelope.
Old 01-10-2015, 08:57 AM
Bowmanr1
Heel & Toe

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If either the build sheet or window sticker is missing you can order replacements from the museum.
Old 01-10-2015, 09:03 AM
mksz51
Safety Car

Received 157 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by Bowmanr1
If either the build sheet or window sticker is missing you can order replacements from the museum.
Those replacement build sheets won't have any of the signatures / intials on them like the originals do. It's all about how authentic you want the materials to be.
Old 01-10-2015, 09:05 AM
rothchilds
Melting Slicks

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

You get it all in the museum delivery, but you pay for lamination if you want it. I had my build sheet, window sticker, and my delivery sign all laminated there, think its $5, or $5 each, either way I had it done.
Old 01-10-2015, 12:26 PM
OVERULD
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '16

Thanks for the replies. I'll let Shane know when he calls to schedule the delivery that I want to keep all that stuff.

BJ
Old 01-10-2015, 06:04 PM
Bavaria
Burning Brakes

Received 122 Likes on 93 Posts

Are the documents available if the car is purchased from a dealer?
Old 01-10-2015, 06:37 PM
savage
Burning Brakes

Received 262 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by Bavaria
Are the documents available if the car is purchased from a dealer?
they come in the car,( in back) i was there when they started to set up my car. i was asked if i want the cover the car came in and the build sheets( two) and all the paperwork on how to install this and that( z51 stuff on mine) at setup. i trashed everything but window sticker, but thats me. if you cant be there at setup time just ask dealer to save everything that comes in car. their is lot more things that you would think. i did save all from my last new car that i traded for this one, i asked dealer if he wanted the stuff? NO!
Old 01-10-2015, 06:55 PM
Bavaria
Burning Brakes

Received 122 Likes on 93 Posts

Thanks savage.
Old 01-10-2015, 11:27 PM
OVERULD
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '16

If the dealership's PDI crews don't save them for the floorplan cars on the lot as they prep them, then they won't be in the car and will probably be long gone.

BJ
Old 02-13-2015, 10:17 PM
OVERULD
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '16

My car will be built next week on 2/17 and 2/18. I will be picking up at the Museum on March 13th. I was swapping some emails with Shane at the Museum today and he said that the build sheets are given to the Museum by GM for archiving and as a source for raising funds. He went on to say that they are only available exclusively from the Museum and that they do not come with the cars. According to him, the only way to get it is to buy one on day of delivery.

Has anyone recently done a Museum delivery and gotten their original build sheet at no charge, where it was just left in the car and the PDI crew left it there for you?

How about a dealer delivery - anyone had the build sheet in the car when it came off the transport? If so, do you have any photos showing it? Sure seems like I have seen several of those type photos in the past.

It is not about having to spend another $35, it is more about originality and doing what is fair.

BJ
Old 02-13-2015, 10:32 PM
HIHO
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom/99
I had a museum delivery this past November. I did get the window sticker, the build sheets, all the plastic interior covers, and the car shipping cover. Nothing was laminated, it was in a large envelope.
If you want them to laminate it there was a 35 dollar charge. The lamination is heavy duty. I had the other sheets laminated at Office Depot. I took delivery last October.
Old 02-14-2015, 11:01 PM
trivette
Melting Slicks

Received 122 Likes on 87 Posts

I just went through all my stuff tonight. I did not receive a build sheet with the car, however I do have four other pieces of documentation.
There are two 11' X 17" sheets; one says Chassis Main Line on the bottom and has my VIN printed on it. It lists the options/color/tire sizes, etc. The other one has 17-02 on the bottom-looks like the form number-and this one has info about radiator/fan, painted roof panel, HUD, and other specifics. These have masking tape on the top so must have been used on the vehicle or on something that went along the line. The third one (8 1/2" X 11") says Corvette Doorline, has my VIN, job number, and shows an illustration of the inside and outer door skin. The last one, also 8 1/2" X 11", is the instruction sheet for the lower control arm deflector kit. I did order a laminated build sheet as well as a window sticker from the museum so I can use them at shows, etc. and keep my original sticker at home. Interestingly, the sticker from the museum shows a different total- I checked it out and they did not include the $15 front license bracket on their version.
My dealer saved everything for me, so I do believe that the original build sheets all go the museum and not with the car. What I received were two sheets that essentially give the same information as a single build sheet but not one like the museum sells.
Old 02-14-2015, 11:18 PM
OVERULD
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '16

Thanks for the excellent response. Very helpful.

BJ
Old 02-15-2015, 12:23 AM
Pro

Received 50 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by trivette
I just went through all my stuff tonight. I did not receive a build sheet with the car, however I do have four other pieces of documentation.
There are two 11' X 17" sheets; one says Chassis Main Line on the bottom and has my VIN printed on it. It lists the options/color/tire sizes, etc. The other one has 17-02 on the bottom-looks like the form number-and this one has info about radiator/fan, painted roof panel, HUD, and other specifics. These have masking tape on the top so must have been used on the vehicle or on something that went along the line. The third one (8 1/2" X 11") says Corvette Doorline, has my VIN, job number, and shows an illustration of the inside and outer door skin. The last one, also 8 1/2" X 11", is the instruction sheet for the lower control arm deflector kit.
Sort of like these?

Here are the ones I gathered off the line while following the Z06 on the buyers tour on 2/2-2/3.

Top left, overall "true" build sheet: This lists the options, dealer, general manufacturing information, similar to the window sticker. This is the one that should get sent with the car.

Top right, towveyer build sheet for drive line.
Left center, main chassis line build sheet.
Right center, detailed chassis line build sheet.
Bottom left, door assembly build sheet.
Bottom right, cockpit build sheet.

There were other small papers that traveled with the car as it went down the line. I did not get them all.

Get notified of new replies

To Build Sheet question

Old 02-15-2015, 07:41 AM
mcnwil
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 00247
Sort of like these?

Here are the ones I gathered off the line while following the Z06 on the buyers tour on 2/2-2/3.

Top left, overall "true" build sheet: This lists the options, dealer, general manufacturing information, similar to the window sticker. This is the one that should get sent with the car.

Top right, towveyer build sheet for drive line.
Left center, main chassis line build sheet.
Right center, detailed chassis line build sheet.
Bottom left, door assembly build sheet.
Bottom right, cockpit build sheet.

There were other small papers that traveled with the car as it went down the line. I did not get them all.

This is correct. Those are the ones I received as well. They are the originals. I snagged the wheel/tire labels, steering lock pin, rear valence corvette template and a chassis tag.
Old 02-15-2015, 03:10 PM
trivette
Melting Slicks

Received 122 Likes on 87 Posts

Yes, those are the ones I was referring to. I didn't get the "true" build sheet since I wasn't at the plant to grab it so had to settle for the copy. Since my early car (#307) was one of the Nashville QC recipients my build sheet ordered from the museum actually arrived to my house before my car reached the dealer! I do have the original for my '05 as the museum offered them for sale a couple years after the build. That one does have some additional marking on it and looks like it may have been on the floor of the plant. Maybe they will offer the originals at some point as well.
Old 02-15-2015, 03:21 PM
John Ulrich
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 270 Likes on 199 Posts

I went thru my Museum packet recently and I did not have the "true" build sheet. I ordered that and ordered on ebay the 2014 Corvette Accessories brochure and 2014 interior color chip folder I've never seen at a dealership.

Quick Reply: Build Sheet question